Showing Collections: 1 - 50 of 82
Dr. Saad's handwritten lecture texts, mostly regarding the history of Africa.
Al Stewart was a businessman and physicist who joined the faculty in the School of Business at WestConn in 1987 after a long career mostly at Union Carbide. The collection includes personal papers, objects, art and miscellanea from Stewart's estate.
This is a small collection of books illustrated by Andrei Hudiakoff.
Carl A. Pettersch was Professor of Social Science 1946-1955, Dean of Graduate Studies 1955-1973, Faculty Emeriti 1973-2003 as Professor of History. This collection comprises the papers of Dr. Pettersch while Dean of Graduate Studies.
Diary of a woman from Connecticut. She describes her health the birth of her children, church attendance and everyday life in early to mid-19th century New England. 188 p.
This artificial collection brings together original materials in the WCSU Archives that relates to the Civil War. Materials that are facsimile versions indicate that this repository once possessed an original copy of material. Collection includes: letters, publications and CDVs.
This collection contains historic printed miscellanea of Connecticut. Commercial businesses, municipal boards and commissions, and other clubs and organizations produced the material that is in this collection.
The Connecticut State University System dates back to 1849. Colleges in the system all began as teachers colleges and gradually were given responsibility for educational programs such as liberal arts, business, technology, and health services. They were brought together into a state college system in 1965, and were granted university status in 1983.
Collection contains Connecticut State Librarian Robert Schnare’s research on the Connecticut suffrage movement between 1910 and 1920, and additional information on the movement prior to 1910 and from the relatively recent past.
This is fairly small collection of Danbury city records. Includes city clerk correspondence and City Council minutes from the early establishment of the City of Danbury. Also includes: Tax anticipation ledgers.
Collection of biographical sketches derived from primary sources by WCSU undergraduates for Dr. Herbert Janick's Historical Research course.
The Danbury Industrial Corporation was established between 1916-1918 to promote the City of Danbury as an attractive location for business and industry initially through the purchase of land for industrial development. The collection includes the D.I.C. records, clippings, correspondence, legal documents and most notably a three volume Danbury Industrial Survey which contains comprehensive descriptions and statistical analyses of Danbury's business and industrial community from 1918.
This collection includes various Danbury municipal records including military service lists, voting lists, real estate transactions, public utilities expenditures mainly from the early 20th century.
Comprised of maps, photographs and miscellanea collected by the University Archives since the 1980s.
Oral histories from the Danbury Remembers project. The goal of the project was to record a series of oral history interviews with various present and past residents of Danbury.
Research materials for Herb Janick and William Devlin's book, Danbury's Third Century. Includes a running summary of Danbury events taken from the News-Times, interviews, student theses, and published materials for the period of ~1870-2012.
Davida Blakeslee was born in Thomaston, Connecticut in 1910, and was a 1929 graduate of Danbury Normal School. She received her B.S. from Teachers College of Connecticut at New Britain in 1958, and her Master of Education from the University of Hartford in 1961. She taught in public schools for more than 30 years. This collection is comprised of a scrapbook she made as a keepsake for her time at the Danbury Normal School.
The role of the the Division of Academic Affairs has evolved in name and purpose over the history of the WCSU. Currently the division is headed by the V.P. of Academic Affairs & Provost. The Division of Academic Affairs collection includes: administrative records, accreditation records, admissions data, institutional research and assessment records, and strategic planning information.
The records of the Office of Finance and Administration contain records from the following departments under the V.P. for Finance & Administration: Fiscal Affairs, Institutional Services, and the Division of Public Safety. Also incuded are University Events' invitations and programs from commencements, convocations and events from 1906-2007.
Don Stitt is an actor, writer, director, choreographer and composer who began his career in the mid 1960s. He received his MFA from WCSU in 2007. The collection includes his written work created throughout his career in the theater.
Dr. Ellen M. Rosenberg was a member of the anthropology department at Western Connecticut State University. This is a collection of research papers completed by students of her "Religion in Society and Culture" course in 1975. The papers profile congregations in the Danbury Area.
The photographs and photographic negatives in this collection come from The Echo's 'Photo Morgue'. Some of these photographs were used in issues of The Echo, others were unused. They are kept in the original negative sheets. Some negative sheets have hand-written notes describing the subject, date, and photographer of the photographs. Other negative sheets are blank.
Edward Eliscu, actor, lyricist, playwright, screen and songwriter, producer, and director was born in New York City on April 26, 1902. The collection consists of correspondence, clippings, scripts, lyrics, music, and other writings.
Smedley was an active member of the Socialist Party in the 1930s. He ran for Comptroller of Waterbury, CT on the Socialist platform in the municipal election of 1939 and in 1948 he was the Socialist Party candidate for U.S. Senator from Connecticut. Smedley was also an attorney for numerous labor and advocacy organizations. This is a small collection of his correspondence.
The collection contains the World War I letters, photographs and miscellanea of George Hawley, a Danbury native who was in Company B of the 307th Infantry of the American Expeditionary Force. Hawley died of disease just before the end of the War in October of 1918.
This collection contains many clippings, administrative materials, and materials related to the different international pavillions. The collection also contains 60 tapes and supporting materials of interviews conducted through by Greater Danbury Intercultural Association to document the contituent groups that make up the greater Danbury area.
Hamilton Orgelman was born in Danbury, Connecticut, on October 17, 1889. Orgelman was best known for his work with the Boy Scouts of America. The collection documents Orgelman's career and contains periodicals, correspondence, bulletins, booklets, scrapbook, photographs and memorabilia. Included also are materials relating to his son, George Orgelman who worked in the aviation industry.
A small collection of art books presumably collected when Ms. Parkhurst travelled in Asia.
The Herbert F. Janick Papers span the years 1889-2003 and consist mainly of Janick’s historical research (focused on CT and Danbury) for his many articles and in particular for his book on the history of Western Connecticut State University. The collection includes many oral history interviews conducted by Janick and many conducted by his students.
Herndon Dowling was a systematic herpetologist with a primary interest in evolution. During his career Dowling worked in many projects and positions in the field of herpetology, won over half a dozen awards for his work, and authored over 200 publications.
A collection of materials from the A.C. Gilbert Company documenting their activity during World War II compiled by H. L. Trisch.
Howard Dunham Barlow was a radio pioneer, musician, composer, arranger and conductor. The Howard Dunham Barlow Collection consists of correspondence, newspaper and magazine clippings, recordings, original compositions, published choral arrangements, CBS program logs, scrapbooks, oral history, orchestral arrangements and works, prospective scripts, reviews of concerts, phonograph records, photographs, and writings.
James Furman was born in Louisville, Kentucky in 1937 and was a college professor/Composer. The collection includes audio recordings of original material, performance programs, and biographical information.
Jennie Esther Warner graduated from Danbury Normal School in 1917. The collection includes some of her texts and notebooks from her time at the DNS and Danbury High School.
Includes former WCSU Dean, Jim Pegolotti's program notes (Danbury Concert Association Notes) and an unpublished manuscript (Writing Program Notes) that includes guidance on writing program notes for classical music concerts.
John Mihelic was from Kansas City, Missouri and was a member of the Socialist Party. He was also involved with the Communist Party of America. The collection includes some correspondence and leftist/socialist publications from the early 20th century.
The collection of Civil War letters of a Danburian, Joseph D. Bishop, in the 23rd Connecticut VI. Bishop was the chief musician in the regiment.
The June Goodman Collection documents her local activism in the 1960s. She received a master's degree in education from WestConn in 1970. The collection focuses on Goodman's commitment to education, specifically her work with the Committee of 1,000 and its fight to improve and expand the Danbury school system in the 1960s. Much of the collection chronicles the bitter nature of the debate.
Lewis Zurlo spent 32 years designing buildings in and around the western Connecticut area and was a member of the Danbury Preservation Trust. The collection includes personal and architectural materials Zurlo collected over his professional career and significant architectural information on a number of buildings in and around Danbury for which Zurlo and his firm's services were retained.
Margaret and William Slater were long-time Fairfield County residents and collected journals, publications, clippings, and books related to African-Americans, African-American issues and history.
This is a small collection of Marian Anderson memorabilia. Anderson was a world-renowned contralto in the 20th century and a long-time resident of Danbury, CT.
The collection includes works of art collected by Marjorie Echols '81. The art is in various mediums and was created by artists from the Danbury area.
Mary A. (Milner) Deming was a graduate of UConn and former Associate Club Agent of New Haven County. In January 1953, Mary Deming began contributing to the "4-H Club Activies" column in the Danbury News-Times. These are clippings of her column up until 1964 with some gaps.
This is a small collection of newsreels and instructional films collected by WestConn.
- Danbury (Conn.) 36
- Correspondence. 34
- Photographs. 26
- Clippings. 24
- Fliers (printed matter) 24
- Publications. 18
- Danbury (Conn.) -- History. 17
- Universities and colleges -- Administration. 14
- Audiotapes. 11
- Reports. 11
- Scrapbooks. 11
- Pamphlets 9
- Maps. 7
- Minutes. 6
- Ledgers (account books). 5
- Oral histories (document genres). 5
- United States -- History -- World War, 1939-1945. 5
- Universities and colleges. 5
- Bethel (Conn.) 4
- Booklets 4
- College students. 4
- Oil paintings. 4
- Postcards 4
- Posters 4
- Universities and colleges -- Students. 4
- Agendas 3
- Blueprints (reprographic copies). 3
- Books 3
- Ephemera. 3
- Newspapers. 3
- Notes 3
- Universities and colleges -- Faculty. 3
- African Americans 2
- Artists' proofs. 2
- Boston (Mass.) 2
- College students -- Connecticut. 2
- Connecticut -- Social life and customs. 2
- Correspondence 2
- Danbury (Conn.) -- Church History. 2
- Danbury (Conn.) -- Flood, 1955. 2
- Danbury (Conn.) -- Redevelopment Agency 2
- Directories. 2
- Drawings. 2
- Flood control -- Connecticut -- Danbury. 2
- Handbooks. 2
- Hartford (Conn.) 2
- Historic buildings -- Connecticut -- Danbury. 2
- Historic maps. 2
- Invitations. 2
- Labor -- United States -- History -- 20th century. 2
- New York (N.Y.) 2
- Newsletters. 2
- Phonograph records. 2
- Photographs 2
- Research notes. 2
- Restaurants--Menus. 2
- Scores. 2
- Scripts (documents). 2
- Sheet music. 2
- Sketchbooks. 2
- Socialism -- United States. 2
- Speeches. 2
- State universities and colleges -- Connecticut. 2
- Strikes and lockouts. 2
- Students -- Recreation. 2
- Teachers colleges. 2
- Theses. 2
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives. 2
- Universities and colleges -- United States -- Newspapers -- History. 2
- Universities and colleges -- Western Connecticut State University. 2
- Videotapes. 2
- Waterbury (Conn.) 2
- Watercolors (paintings). 2
- Western Connecticut State University - History 2
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Pictorial works 2
- World War, 1914-1918 -- Propaganda 2
- World War, 1914-1918 -- United States -- Periodicals 2
- Yearbooks. 2
- 4-H clubs 1
- A.C. Gilbert Company 1
- Accreditation (Education) -- Connecticut -- Danbury 1
- Acetate film 1
- Affirmative Action Programs 1
- Africa--History 1
- African Americans--Civil rights--History--20th century 1
- Agriculture -- Connecticut 1
- Agriculture -- United States -- History 1
- Alcoholism -- Prevention -- Directories 1
- American Civil War (1861-1865) 1
- Anarchists -- United States 1
- Annual reports 1
- Architects and community -- Connecticut 1
- Architects. 1
- Architectural drawings. 1
- Architecture -- Conservation and restoration -- Connecticut -- Danbury. 1
- Argonne, Battle of the, France, 1918 1
- Arpeggiones. 1
- Arson investigation. 1
- Art 1
- Art -- Japan. 1 ∧ less
- Western Connecticut State University 12
- Danbury Normal School. 7
- Western Connecticut State College. 7
- Danbury State Teachers College. 6
- Western Connecticut State University. Archives and Special Collections Library 6
- Danbury Teachers College. 5
- Haas, Ruth A., 1903-1986. 5
- Janick, Herbert F. 5
- City of Danbury, Conn. 4
- Dyer, James E. 4
- Furman, James, 1937-1989 4
- Jenkins, Ralph Carlton, 1891- 4
- Anderson, Marian, 1897-1993 3
- Danbury News. 3
- Devlin, William E., 1949- 3
- Feldman, Stephen. 3
- Pegolotti, James A. 3
- Warner, Truman A. 1920-1997 3
- Western Connecticut State College -- History. 3
- Western Connecticut State University. 3
- Western Connecticut State University. Student Government Association. 3
- Baldwin, Simeon E. 2
- Bard Parker Company 2
- Danbury Normal School -- History. 2
- Danbury State College. 2
- Danbury State Tearchers College -- History. 2
- Friel, John V. 2
- Goodman, June. 2
- Hudiakoff, Andrei, 1894-1985 2
- Minor, Robert. 2
- Parks, Charles Darling 2
- The Forum Club. 2
- Western Connecticut State University -- History. 2
- Western Connecticut State University. Department of Academic Affairs. 2
- Western Connecticut State University. Division of Academic Affairs. 2
- Western Connecticut State University. University Senate. 2
- Academy of Music (New York, N.Y.) 1
- Adley, Linda. 1
- Administrative and Residual Employee Union, Local 4200. 1
- Afternoon Musical society 1
- Alberetti, Robert 1
- Algonquin Gas Transmission Company. 1
- Alhage, Louis. 1
- Allen, Dorothy C. 1
- Almshouse-Connecticut-Danbury. 1
- American Association of University Professors (AAUP). 1
- American Civil Liberties Union 1
- American Council on Education. 1
- American Cyanamid Company 1
- American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). 1
- American Journal of Education (Hartford, Conn.) 1
- American National Orchestra 1
- American Red Cross 1
- American Shakespeare Theater (Stratford, Conn.) 1
- Americans With Disabilities Act. 1
- Amey, Marilyn J. 1
- Amistad (Schooner) 1
- Amphenol Corporation 1
- Anderson, Beverly. 1
- Antimasonic party 1
- Appleton's Journal. 1
- Averill, Donald C. 1
- Bachyrycz, Gary. 1
- Bailey, James A. 1
- Balmforth Avenue School. 1
- Balmforth High School (Danbury, Conn.) 1
- Barlow family 1
- Barlow, Howard, 1892-1972. 1
- Barlow, Jeannette. 1
- Barnard, Henry, 1811-1900. 1
- Barnum pharmacy. 1
- Barnum, P. T. (Phineas Taylor), 1810-1891 1
- Barrows, Jack. 1
- Bartlett, Stephen R., Dr., Jr. 1
- Bartram, William. 1
- Bates, Aaron T. 1
- Beal, Dallas K. 1
- Beck-Moore, Cynthia 1
- Beckett, Elisa. 1
- Bellotti, Michael. 1
- Ben Ami, Doron. 1
- Bender, Dave 1
- Berol Corporation 1
- Bersi, Robert M. 1
- Bethel Ledger. 1
- Billings, Warren K., 1893-1972 1
- Bishop, Joseph D., 1825-1863 1
- Bishop, Sarah A., 1830-1918 1
- Blackstone, Robert. 1
- Blair, Colleen 1
- Blakeslee, B.F. 1
- Block, Mark. 1
- Boehringer Ingleheim Corporation 1
- Boskello, Dennis. 1
- Boston Weekly Post. 1
- Bowes, Edward, Major, 1874-1946. 1
- Boy Scouts of America, Scatacook District. 1
- Boy Scouts of America. 1
- Boyce, Milton. 1
- Bradley, David. 1 ∧ less