Horace Purdy Journal February 1866 Entry

Dublin Core




FEB 01 THURSDAY - Pleasant with the exception of a short snow squall in the middle of the day after which it was a little colder. Before breakfast, Theo Bradley came over, having been sent by his mother to tell me to ask Mr. Crofut if he would give her work at hat trimming. I did not see Mr. Crofut, but spoke with Rollo Nichols (his son-in-law and partner) about it. He thought it doubtful as they did not have work enough for their own trimmers at the present time. I shall wait and hear further from Mr. Crofut about it. George took the horse away before I came from work and intends to use him tonight and return him tomorrow morning. He told Gussie that he was going to Beaver Brook. I went to market in the evening. When I returned Gussie went over to John Brayman’s. I sent 80 cents by her to give to John for getting the horse shod last Tuesday. FEB 02 FRIDAY - Pleasant but colder than yesterday. George, who had the horse last night to go to Beaver Brook to an oyster supplier at a friend’s house, drove it down as he went to the shop. We walked down together as we went to work. He stopped at Crofut’s and ordered a cart of feed for the horse which came before night. As I came from work, I took a letter from the Office from Aaron Mallett of West Redding. He wants to change the investment of his money and wants me to take up the note on the 1st of April. When I got home, I found Ellen and Josephine Dare at the house. The came on the freight train, stayed to tea, and spent the evening. We had a pleasant time. They came intending to go to meeting in the evening, but as there was to be no preaching but a speaking or general class meeting, they did not go. I harnessed Jim and took them home about 9 o’clock. I returned about 10 ½ o’clock. FEB 03 SATURDAY - Pleasant. As I went to work in the morning, I called at the Savings Bank and made an application for a loan. I finished off my yesterday’s work at noon, gave my checks to James Sparks to draw my pay and then came home, ate some dinner, borrowed Charles Stevens’ saddle and rode Old Jim down to Redding to see Mr. Aaron Mallett about the $1,100 for which he holds my note and wants the money April 1st. Gussie went to market in the evening while I stayed home. John Brayman came over and helped me alter Mother Griswold’s cat. FEB 04 SUNDAY - Pleasant (or rather clear) but cold. George came for the horse as usual on Sunday morning to go to Bethel for the chorister, Mr. Lockwood. Gussie attended church in the morning and I in the P.M. Brother Hill preached in the afternoon to the Sunday School children. After supper, I wrote to Carlton & Porter for another copy of the Sunday School Advocate for nine months from January to October. Also for two dozen Lesson Books, Nos. 1 and 2, a dozen of each. Before evening meeting, John Brayman came in and stayed a while. Gussie went to evening meeting. I stayed home with the baby. George had George Starr’s carriage to go to Bethel with the chorister after evening preaching. FEB 05 MONDAY - Very cold last night and today. As I went to work this morning, I called at the Savings Bank to see Mr. Jabine a moment in regard to the money I want to borrow from the bank. I, at the same time, ordered a 1/2 barrel of flour of Charles H. Crofut. It was sent to the house before night. I borrowed a hat at the shop for Mr. Pond to wear while I make his old one over new. After supper, I took the trimmings out and washed it after which I went downtown for a lamp wick. FEB 06 TUESDAY - Pleasant and cold but a little warmer than yesterday. As I went to work this morning, I went to the Pahquioque Bank and made arrangements for renewing the note of Mr. Crofut’s upon I got money for George when he went into the sifter business. I took Mr. Pond’s hat (which I washed last evening) to the shop with me to make over into a Spring Brim. In blacking it over, it tore, so I brought another hat and got it up in the place of it. I took it over to him in the evening. He was highly pleased with it and gave me a half dollar more than I asked for it. When George came from work, He took Jim and rode over to see Theo Morris who is very sick with lung fever. I went to market in the evening and brought home 2 lbs. of smelt. I then went over to see John Brayman about going to Newtown tomorrow with sifters for George, but he expects to have work in the factory and cannot go. FEB 07 WEDNESDAY - Very cold this morning. After dinner, it became cloudy and in the evening began to snow. John Brayman went over to Newtown with some sifters for George today, but Mr. Johnson, the merchant, did not want any thought he had previously ordered them. John then went on to Sandy Hook and left a ½ dozen at George Beers’ on commission. He came home by way of Bethel and sold two to Mr. Dare. I went to market in the evening and talked to O. H. Swift about buying my horse. The Sunday School papers and three dozen Lesson Books which I ordered came today. Harriet Wheeler had a note from Mr. Wanzer today saying that he would take her place at $2,800 . John Brush had his wedding last night. Mrs. Bradley came in about 9 ½ o’clock this evening to see further about getting work at Mr. Crofut’s. FEB 08 THURSDAY - The snow last night turned to rain and this morning everything was covered in ice. Feeling about tired out from the hard work of the last two days (Heavy Jack wps. full stiffed, badly blocked), I did not go to work but harnessed the horse and drove down and tried to sell him to Swift & Day but did not succeed. I rode up home and took Harriet in and carried her up to Samuel Purdy’s, waited for the mail and came home. I went to the shop before night to see Mr. Crofut about giving Widow Burr Bradley work, but he was in New York. I came around home by her house to tell her. Mr. Cocking paid me $3 for the last month’s rent. I wrote for George to Mr. Beers in Sandy Hook in the evening about sifters. Bought a valentine to send to a shop mate (William Hutchings). George came in before evening meeting time and I gave him the $2.00 John Brayman took in yesterday for sifters. FEB 09 FRIDAY - I woke this morning and found about 4 inches of snow on the ground and still snowing. It stopped snowing, however, about 10 o’clock, but remained cloudy and warm all day. As I went to work, I called at Brother Hill’s to inquire about a Newtown man who had money to let. He said he was going to Newtown before night and would see if the money could be procured for me. He did so and sent word by George from evening meeting that I could get $300 between now and April 1st. I have had much anxious feeling today about my financial affairs, but the way seems to be opening for me and a good prospect of clearing up matters for the present. FEB 10 SATURDAY - Warm, cloudy and misty all day. I worked until noon, then went to the Pahquioque Bank and paid $100 on a note of $350 given by Henry Crofut for me to raise money on for George. Mr. Crofut gave me a new note of $250 which I got renewed. I then called on Brother Hill about money matters with Walter Northrup of Newtown. He offered to let me have the money if Mr. Northrup could not. I borrowed Seth Down’s sleigh and rode over to Newtown and saw Mr. Northrup. He thought he could let me have the whole $1,100, would let me know in a week or two. I started about 2 o’clock and arrive home again about 7. I went and returned by way of Bethel. While down to market in the evening, I saw Nathan Benedict and engaged some hay of him providing he could get someone to draw it to me. The new locomotive came up this morning. FEB 11 SUNDAY - It cleared off warm this morning. George had Seth Down’s sleigh (which I kept over last night) to go to Bethel with for Mr. Lockwood this morning. Before night the roads were all mud and he was obliged to take him home on wheels. Gussie went to church in the morning. I went to Sunday School at which Fanny was presented with a splendid album with pictures of Sunday School scholars. Communion in the P.M. which I attended. Quite a number were baptized, including Charles Fowler and daughter. I had a hard headache in the P.M. and did not go out. Gussie also stayed home in the evening on account of the mud. I wrote to Carlton and Porter ordering a copy of the Sunday School Advocate for 9 months ending October 1st for Fanny Parson of the infant class. I sent it to the office by George. Gussie wrote to Edwin in the evening in reply to one to me. FEB 12 MONDAY - Warm and hard rain all day. The snow is nearly all gone. The stream continued to rise near the shop until night with which the floating ice swept away one of the foot bridges crossing the stream where it crosses to go over to Seeley’s Fur Factory. As I went to work in the morning I mailed the letter I wrote before breakfast to Walter Northrup. In Newtown informing him that if necessary to make out the $1,100. Mr. Hill will pay him the $300 he owes him. I mailed also one for Gussie to Edwin. Gussie received one today from Cousin Eliza in California. On account of the mud and rain, I did not go out in the evening; besides, I did not feel able to go. I was taken with a faint falling before I left the shop and could hardly get home. It was after 8 o’clock before I felt better. Before retiring, I wrote to Mr. Mallett in West Redding concerning taking up my note and mortgage. Feb 13 Tuesday - I woke and found it clear and pleasant this morning. As I went to work I mailed the letter which I wrote last night to Mr. Mallett. As I came home from work, I bought some fresh herring. Brother Woodruff is in town and will preach for us tonight. Gussie went to hear him and I stayed with the baby. As she went, she mailed for me a valentine to William Hutching. The new locomotive which the Danbury & Norwalk Railroad Company has been buying was steamed up and run out this P.M. for a trial trip down the track a distance and return. After evening meeting, Mrs. Bradley called to see if anything had been done towards getting her a situation at Mr. Crofut’s at trimming hats. FEB 14 WEDNESDAY - St. Valentine’s Day. Before breakfast, I rode up home to George about getting hay from Nathan Benedict. We finally arranged to have Father and John Brayman take the horse in the P.M. and with Mr. Benedict’s wagon, get a load, which they did, notwithstanding the rain. The morning was pleasant but before noon it commenced snowing, which before long turned to rain and continued raining more or less during the P.M. and in the evening steady and quite hard. George ordered 3 bushels of oats as he went to working the morning which were delivered. As he came home at night, he rode Old Jim up home and back again as he came into the street in the evening. There was less than a ¼ ton of the hay brought today. FEB 15 THURSDAY - Pleasant and cool in the morning and grew colder all day. Severely cold this evening. John Brayman’s mother-in-law, Mrs. Weed came over this morning while we were at breakfast and brought home two of my new shirts which Gussie gave them to finish off and took home with her a pair of sheets to make. I worked as long as I could see in the shop before coming home to tea. I came home by way of Raymond’s and bought some smelt. Stopped at Swift’s and got a package of Sunday School papers. John came over and after tea, I went to market with him. I made arrangements with Benedict & Nichols for credit for about 2 months in order to save my cash income for the present to pay my interest money on or before April 1st. I took out a pass book and bought a ham and had it entered for the first item. Called at Charles Hull’s to see about the weight of hay yesterday ( which was weighed on his scales); then went over to the church to hear Father Griswold preach, but he had just finished his sermon and a prayer meeting had commenced. FEB 16 FRIDAY - Pleasant but very cold. Before breakfast, I mounted Old Jim and rode over to Nathan Benedict’s to speak for another small load of hay to make out the ½ ton I had arranged and also to try and borrow a hay cutter. I worked as long as I could see in the shop tonight. As I came home, I took a letter from the Office from Mr. Mallett of Redding in answer to one I wrote him about taking up my note and mortgage perhaps before April 1st. He is willing to give up the papers at any time I am ready to take them up, provided I will allow him the interest up to April 1st. After tea, I went up and talked with Father Griswold about changing the mortgage on my place, etc. I then went down to meeting just as it was closing and saw Brother Hill about my trip to Newtown for money, etc.; also gave him a package of Missionary Advocates which came to his address in with a pack of Sunday School papers to me. I wrote a reply to Mr. Mallett before retiring, saying that I would allow him interest up to April 1st. FEB 17 SATURDAY - Very cold last night and this morning. The day, however, has been beautiful and the cold diminished during the day so that it is now much warmer than last night at the same time. As I went to work this morning, I mailed the letter I wrote last night to Aaron Mallett in Redding. Gussie bought a new dress and apron for one of John Brayman’s children to pay for sewing done by his wife. John came over and went into the street with me in the evening. I lent him 50 cents. FEB 18 SUNDAY - Warmer and pleasant in the morning, but it was cloudy in the P.M. with a little rain. George went to Bethel as usual this morning for Mr. Lockwood. Gussie attended church in the morning. Mr. Breckinridge of Bethel preached. Brother Hill exchanged with him. I went down to Sunday School and to prayer meeting in the P.M. which was held in the audience room in place of preaching. Several young ladies were forward for prayers. After sup, I wrote to Carlton & Porter to know why 2 copies of Sunday School Advocates which I ordered did not come. George borrowed George Starr’s carriage in the P.M. to take Mr. Lockwood home with him to tea and to go to Bethel with after preaching this evening. About 3 o’clock, George came for the doctor (Bennett), Mother being very sick with inflammation of the bowels. She was taken last Friday. George rode down and I rode up home with him and stayed until meeting time when I rode down with him again as he and Mr. Lockwood went to church. Having a severe headache, I stayed at home and retire early. Gussie wrote to Cousin Eliza in the evening. FEB 19 MONDAY - It rained hard all last night and more or less during the day. The streams were swollen nearly as high as on last Monday. As I went to work this morning, I mailed Gussie’s letter to Eliza in California. I also called at the Savings Bank and told Mr. Jabine that I should probably not want the money I spoke to him about -$800. I also left word on Dr. Bulkeley’s slate to call and see mother Griswold. Evelyn Morton, a boy about 14 years old who worked at our shop as an errand boy, etc. died this morning after a short illness; it terminated, I believe in brain fever. Georgie is sick with a severe cold. We fear inflammation of the lungs. After tea, I went to market and the borrowed Charles Stevens’ saddle and rode Old Jim up home to see Mother who is very sick. FEB 20 TUESDAY - Pleasant and warm. Gussie sat up last night until after midnight to give medicine to the baby who is sick with a heavy cold. He is hoarse and coughs badly. We fear lung fever. He also has symptoms of croup. He appears quite lively, however, this morning. Mother is no better today. The last of the drab hats at the shop was finished up today and I went on Black Hats, the first in a long time. George carried a sifter to E.E. Wildman's in the evening. I went into the street in a hurry this evening in order that Gussie could go over to John Brayman’s for a baby party. FEB 21 WEDNESDAY - Pleasant. Gussie came home after midnight last night, the baby which was an 11 lb. boy, being born about 11 o’clock. After supper, I borrowed Charles Stevens’ saddle and rode downtown with a pair of Gussie’s shoes to be mended, to the Jeffersonian Office for my paper, then to Charles Hull’s to see if he would trade a hay cutter for some flour sifters, and up home to see Mother. I think she appears better today though she is very sick yet. FEB 22 THURSDAY - Washington’s Birthday. I ran up the Stars and Stripes on Father Griswold’s house this morning. We also had one flying from the flagstaff at the factory until the staff broke (it had been exposed to the weather since April, 1861). The day has been lovely and warm, the wind blowing from the south. As I came from work, I stopped at Charles Reed’s and got Gussie’s shoes which I left there last evening for repairs. I also called at the news office and got a package of Sunday School Advocates from Carlton & Porter. Mother remains about the same, very sick. The day has been pretty generally observed as a holiday by the merchants in particular as many of them have closed their stores. I was intending to go into the street in the evening, but just before starting, the baby was taken with a severe turn of coughing and vomiting and while holding him Eleanor and Josephine Dare with Joseph Dunning and Mr. Lawrence came in and spent the evening. I cracked walnuts, had apples and cider, and enjoyed the visit much. I went up to Mother Griswold’s for the cider and there no one drank it but myself. It was about 11 ½ o’clock when we retired. FEB 23 FRIDAY - Pleasant and warm. John Brayman came over this morning while I was feeding the horse and wanted to take him sometime during the day to go to Bethel, but did not go, finally. I worked a usual in the shop. I went down to the Post Office in the evening but it closed just before I reached there. Fanny brought a note from Brother Hill in the evening. He had heard from Mr. Northrup in Newtown, stating that he had concluded not to lend me the money I spoke with him about. Gussie went down to see Dr. Bulkeley today about the baby’s cough and got some medicine for the same. Fanny brought me a note in the evening from Brother Hill stating that Mr. Northrup could not let me have the $1,100 I expected from him. Before retiring, I wrote a note in answer to Brother Hill, also one to Mr. Jabine stating that I would take the $800 offered by the Savings Bank. When I came home from work, I found the horse gone and was not returned dup to time of retiring. FEB 24 SATURDAY - Stormy, a warm rain. As I went to work this morning, I mailed the note to Mr. William Jabine. I met Brother Hill as I was entering the Post Office and on that account did not mail the one I wrote to him. I left the shop earlier than usual. I went over to the foul shop to see George, but he was not there. Called at the Savings Bank and arranged with Mr. Jabine about the $800. I am to have it on the 1st of March. I borrowed Charles Hull’s hay cutter when I got home and George with myself cut up pile of hay and then retuned it. George stayed to tea, and in the evening, He ruled the Sunday School Librarian’s book and drew up the classes anew while I went to market. When I returned, we marked of the Sunday School Advocates to be distributed in the School tomorrow. Rained very hard all evening. FEB 25 SUNDAY - Pleasant this morning; the surface of the ground a little frozen. It thawed during the day. Grew colder towards night. George went to Bethel as usual for the chorister this morning. Gussie attended church in the forenoon. I went down to Sunday School at noon and stayed to prayer meeting in the P.M. which was in the audience room. Mr. W. T. Gilbert preached for Brother Hill this morning. Had a talk at noon with Mrs. Holmes, Female Supt. about Charles Stevens, Jr. taking my place as Secretary/Treasurer of the school another year. We concluded, judging from his past life, that he would not be a reliable person for the position. After supper, I went over to John Brayman’s a few moments to see their new baby, it being my first visit since its birth. When I returned, Gussie went over. George brought down a picture of Mollie Clark, his army correspondent from West Chazy, New York with whom he is corresponding under the assumed name of Willie Franklin. With it he brought her letters for me to read. Neither of them has ever seen each other. She wrote to him while in the army in answer to an advertisement for a lady correspondent. I went to church in the evening. W. T. Gilbert preached. Quite a number went forward for prayers; among them were Saul Bailey and Caroline Hull. FEB 26 MONDAY - A very cold morning. As I went to work, I mailed a letter for Gussie to Josephine Dare. We were stinted in our shop work today, had only one dozen. I came home before night and harnessed Old Jim before Seth Down’s sleigh (which has been in the barn since I went to Newtown on the 10th to see about money from Walter Northrup) and drew it home on bare ground. I saw Seth at his barn and arranged with him to use his saddle occasionally when I have need of it. From there I went to McDonald’s shop and had two of Jim’s shoes tightened. Martha Case from Essex came on the morning train to Father Griswold’s. After tea, I borrowed Seth’s saddle and rode down to the Post Office and then up home to see Mother. I mended a hold back strap to the harness. Bought a second hand hay cutter of Charles Hull for $10. I got trusted for it to pay when I could. FEB 27 TUESDAY - I woke and found it snowing, which it continued to do until just at night. I borrowed last night Seth Downs’ wrench with which to turn the axle nuts on the wagon to grease it which George did today and brought the hay cutter I bought last evening from Charles Hull’s barn. The cart of feed which he engaged yesterday came today. We had a full day’s work in the shop today, but tomorrow the shop will be closed ion account of a Baptist Church fast which they intend to observe on account of the great revival of religion and the great work being wrought in their church. Mr. Crofut, being one of the deacons, he will close his factory. After tea, I borrowed Seth Down’s saddle again and rode down to the Post Office and up home to see Mother. She is no better. She now has an idea that she is going to die with this sickness. She is fearful that when she is gone, Father will sell of the furniture, bed and bedding, while she wants us children to have it. George Parmalee told me today that I would have to fill his place as assistant librarian in Sunday School as he is going next week to Bridgeport as salesman in a dry goods store. Gussie received a picture of Martha Lord this evening in a letter from Corydon to Harriet. FEB 28 WEDNESDAY - The Baptists have a day of fasting and prayer on account of the religious interest felt in the community; many are being converted in both the Baptist and our own church. Mr. Crofut closed his factory on that account and in consequence thereof we have had no work. Brother Hill rode up to see me early this morning to say that his mother had money from the sale of her homestead which she would like to invest and wants me to take the whole amount- $1,100 of her. I went down to see the Savings bank men to give up the claim I had on the money applied for. It made no difference to them so I agreed with Brother Hill to take the whole amount from his mother. I got some waxed ends, some pieces of leather and then came home and mended it and washed the harness with George’s assistance. After dinner, I harnessed Jim and took Martha Case, Harriet Wheeler and Gussie to the cemetery. Wrote to Mallett saying that I should probably not want to take up the mortgage until April 1st. I went to meeting in the evening. After meeting, I went over to Clark Beers to send by him to New York for 10 lbs. of coffee. Mr. Bray preached a prayer meeting after the sermon at which John Bouton, James Kyle and others went forward to the altar. Harriet Mills rose for prayers.






Purdy, Horace, 1835-1909. “Horace Purdy Journal February 1866 Entry.” Horace Purdy Journals, MS 044. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 19 Nov. 2019.

Document Viewer


Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.