Horace Purdy Journal March 1866 Entry

Dublin Core




MARCH 01 THURSDAY - Cloudy all day, a slight flutter of snow for a few moments in the forenoon. I worked until about two o’clock and came home sick with a severe headache. Gussie received a letter from Josie Dare from Bethel. I retired about 7 o’clock, not feeling able to sit up. MARCH 02 FRIDAY - Cloudy in the morning, but the sun shone in the P.M. I worked hard all day in the shop, having a part of yesterday’s work to do today with what I had today. I talked with Frank Butler in the P.M. about John Brayman. Martha Case has spent the day with Gussie and cut a dress for her. Gussie went to meeting in the evening and I stayed at home. Louise came down and stayed with Georgie while I fed the horse and did my writing, etc. Henry Hurd went to the altar for prayers this evening. MARCH 03 SATURDAY - Cloudy and misty all day. We had just about ½ a day’s work, one dozen. I finished mine before eating my dinner which I carried with me. I saw Gussie in the street as I was coming home. She had been to the dyers for Josie Dare. She called at Mrs. Swift’s and I came home. I saw David Mills in the street. He was on business with William T. Barnum regarding his pension which he has finally got. I borrowed Seth Down’s saddle before tea and rode up home to see Mother. The roads are very muddy. It was hard work for Old Jim to get through the mud with me. Mr. Olmstead, who lives on the old Huntington place came down to get the horse to draw Maurice to the cemetery, but upon taking him out from the stable was afraid to use him on account of his lameness which always disappears after using a short time, it being the effect of a sprain. I went to market in the evening and got some oysters. MARCH 04 SUNDAY - A beautiful spring morning. The sun shone warm and pleasant until about 3 P.M. when March exhibited itself with a snow squall which however came very quietly. George went to Bethel as usual for the Chorister this morning. He carried a small package to Josephine Dare for Gussie. It contained a dress from the dyers, a piece of sheet music and a Golden Censor, which Josie requested Gussie to get for her. Gussie went to church as usual in the morning and I to Sunday School and to the prayer meeting in the P.M. There were several forward for prayers and all but two found peace in believing in the Savior. Hattie Mills was one of the number forward, but I believe was not blessed. I made arrangements with my assistant librarians to have our pictures taken tomorrow in a group to give to the Supt. George Starr and Fanny Griswold the Infant Class teacher and also one for each of us, viz.,Ed Barnum, James Parmalee, David Bradley and myself. George came down before meeting for the horse to carry Mr. Lockwood home after the evening meeting. The weather having changed and being pretty cold, he concluded to get George Starr’s carriage. I went over there with him and the horse and hitched onto the carriage and rode to the church where the team was left under the shed until after church. The choir had a rehearsal before meeting. Brother Hill preached a good sermon after which was a prayer meeting. Seven persons were forward for prayers and one of them converted a young man. Fanny stayed with the baby to let Gussie go in the evening. MARCH 05 MONDAY - Cold and blustering. I started for milk this morning with one dollar in currency and pennies (45 pennies) in the pail with which to buy milk tickets and fell against the steps going up the stone work from my garden to Father Griswold’s premises and hurt one of my toes so that I was lame with it all day and scattered the money around. I succeeded in finding all but one cent. I had a half day’s work in the shop. At 2 o’clock, I met with David Bradley, Edward Barnum and James Parmalee at Mr. Couch’s gallery to have our pictures taken in a group on one card, we being the secretary and treasurer and librarians of the Sunday School. The principal object being to give it to Brother Starr, the Supt. and Fanny Griswold, the Infant Class Teacher. James Parmalee leaves us tomorrow to go to Bridgeport in a dry goods store; for that reason, we had it done today. Before going home, I paid a visit with Edward P. Stevens to Montgomery and Mallory’s shops. From there, I called at Flint’s Machine Shop to see Russell Smith about the $12.00 he has owed me since the winter of 1860-1861 for rent. He promises to pay me before the 1st of April. Gussie left the baby up to Mother Griswold’s and went shopping in the P.M. with Harriet and Martha Case. George rode the horse up home at noon and took the blanket with him and mended it. After returning the horse at night, he tore his pants badly while getting over a fence and came here to sew them up, after which, he and Gussie went to meeting together. Father Griswold came home on the freight train after an absence of three Sundays. MARCH 06 TUESDAY - The day has been clear but very blustery and cold. I harnessed the horse before breakfast and carried Martha Case and her bundles to the depot. She is staring for New York. I came back and put the horse in the stable and ate my breakfast and went to the shop. I had work all day. George came down and mended the harness and the wagon cushions. I went to market and to meeting in the evening, though it was late when I went in. MARCH 07 WEDNESDAY - Not so cold as yesterday, but windy all the same. We were limited in our work at the shop – only 1 dozen. I finished mine by 2 o’clock. I came home by way of Couch’s and got the pictures of self and assistant Sunday School librarians in a group on one card which we sat for on Monday. David Bradley called in the evening for his. Before tea, I borrowed Seth Down’s saddle and rode Jim up home. I found Mother very comfortable, though very sick yet. George, Bell and Mother had a contrived plan to let the provisions run out and make Father go to work by starving him to it. He has done scarcely nothing all winter and made no effort to find anything to do and yet he has been able to work. They became discouraged. George stopped providing anything until this morning there was nothing for breakfast and Father for a wonder took his ax and started into the woods. George brought home some meat and said that considering that he had gone to work, he could have something to eat for supper, but fully determined that if he would not work he should not eat anything provided by others. I carried some tea and sugar to Mother, also a bowl of crabapple jelly. Louise stayed with Georgie in the evening to let Gussie and I go to meeting. I gave George Starr our pictures (my assistant librarians and self) in the evening at church. Mother Griswold made me a present of a mat woven by herself of wool hat roundings. MARCH 08 THURSDAY - Not quite so much wind as yesterday but pretty cold. Only a ½ day’s work in the shop. Started on 1 dozen. I harnessed the horse in the P.M. and Oscar Levine and I rode over to Daniel Manley’s to see them work on the new railroad, but found neither anyone at work nor Manley at home. It was tedious riding in the cold wind. When I returned, I took a nap on the lounge. I went to market in the evening and returned immediately. I felt too tired to go to meeting. MARCH 09 FRIDAY - Cool and cloudy most of the day. Several times during the day, there was for a few moments a little flutter of snow, but not enough to whiten the ground. I had work nearly all day in the shop. There was a special town meeting at 2 P.M. to divide the two consolidated school districts, viz. the North Center and Center. It however adjourned for two weeks to give the named districts time to act upon the measures before the town takes action upon it. Harriet came home from New York on the train. George harnessed the horse and went to the depot for her luggage. He and Father had high words today. The attempt to drive him to work by starving proves successful. John Bouton and David Bradley came in just at night to speak for the horse to draw some lumber tomorrow morning to make lattice work for Father Griswold. I burned and ground some chestnut meats in the evening. We are going to try it for coffee tomorrow morning. Gussie went to market in the evening while I stayed with baby. MARCH 10 SATURDAY - Pleasant but cold. Not so cold just at night as yesterday at the same time. I let David Bradley and John Bouton take the horse to draw some stock for Father Griswold of which they have been today making lattice work for his front piazza. I finished my work at the shop at 1 ½ o’clock. We were then paid off and I came home. I went to the barn and saw the boys work at the lattice work until I was too cold to stay any longer. I borrowed Seth Down’s saddle and took a ride around by Uncle Jacob Fry’s and at B. Lynes’ place to see Robert Cocking. I went in and Mrs. Cocking made some egg cider of which I drank two glasses and then galloped home. Gussie went up home this P.M. and carried $5.00 to Mother from the poor fund of the church handed to her by Fanny from George Starr. In the evening, I went into the street and bought a spring weighing balance for 50 cents at Benedict & Nichols’. Their head salesman, Charles Mason, gave me a tin can holding 10 lbs. of coffee. I want it for that purpose. Before retiring, I marked off the Sunday School Advocates and Journals. MARCH 11 SUNDAY - Pleasant in the morning, but before noon it clouded over and in the P.M., it commenced storming fine hail (about 3 o’clock). I went to church in the forenoon for the first in a long time. Sunday School prayer meeting at noon, after which I came home to let Gussie go in the P.M. which was the communion service. A large number were taken in on probation and some were baptized. Among the numbers were John Bouton, Hart Purdy and Hattie Mills. Before evening church time, I wrote to James Parmalee in Bridgeport on the subject of religion. Before dark, the hail turned to rain, which after a short time, nearly stopped. The night up to bedtime was cloudy and being dark, George borrowed George Starr’s carriage to carry Mr. Lockwood to Bethel after evening service. He harnessed at meeting time and carried Gussie to church. I stayed at home with Georgie. When Gussie came home from meeting, she told of an unfortunate, although laughable mistake which happened about the singing of the first hymn. Brother Scofield forgot about the choir and started the tune in the congregation just as the melodeon commenced to play the piece through before singing. As there have been meetings every evening for a long time (13 weeks, I believe) and there being no choir on weekday evenings, he not thinking that the choir was in its place struck up the singing the same as on weekday evenings. It made considerable confusion and laughter all over the house. Brother Hill in the pulpit laughed heartily. MARCH 12 MONDAY - Cloudy most of the day with occasional showers, warm. A little sunshine in the P.M. I had work all day in the shop. There is quite an excitement around the town today about the arrest of Dr. William Lacy. John Grey, and one or two others on Saturday night for gambling at Mr. Raymond’s drinking saloon. Deputy Sherriff Heath and Constables Harris Crofut and Chester Brush did the job. One went in while the others guarded the outlets to the building. I went to market in the evening and carried my 5 gallon can up to William E. Wright’s for some oil (kerosene). Other merchants are charging $1.00 per gallon. I got of Wright 5 gallons at a time for 87 cents per gallon. Mrs. H. Nina Smith lectures this evening in Concert Hall, subject “The Reconstructed or Southern Society”. I was too tired to go and in fact, but little desire to do so. MARCH 13 TUESDAY - Pleasant and warm. I had work nearly all day in the shop. George called there before dinner to see if I could help him get a load of hay from Nathan Benedict’s. I intended to go, but did not finish my work in time. We rode over to Mr. Benedict’s, however, to see about it. I went to market and to church in the evening. After the sermon, there was a prayer meeting. Ira Wheeler was forward; he not having been forward, he did so in order to make a public confession in that manner, though he was converted yesterday. Platt Osborne was forward also. MARCH 14 WEDNESDAY - Cloudy and misty a part on the day. George came over in the morning and we got a load of hay from Nathan Benedict. Our horse broke a trace in starting from his barn with it, so we harnessed Benedict’s horse and got home with it. There was 880 lbs. of it which with 440 lbs. drawn by Father and John Brayman made 1,240 lbs. at $15.00 per ton made a bill of $9.30 . He deducted $1.00 for carting. After we had unloaded it, George and I drove up to Lacy & Downs’ Hat Factory and paid him. George stayed with us to dinner. In the P.M., I harnessed and Gussie and I rode up to John Knapp’s house where Eben Barnum lives. She stopped while I went up to Chase’s Carriage Shop to see if I could get the baby carriage mended. We then went up to the cemetery, taking John Cosier with us. Received a note from Brother Hill asking whether Mr. Mallett would take 7.3 % (?) treasury Notes at market value on April 1st for the $1,100 I am to pay him, as he (Brother Hill) is to let me have the money in Treasury Notes. After tea, I borrowed Seth Down’s saddle and rode over to Nathan Benedict’s for my knife, which I left sticking in a board fence when I mended the harness. From there, I went to market and to Peters’ Barber Shop for my razor which I left there to be honed. I lent $10.00 to John Brayman in the evening with which to pay his mother-in-law for nursing, as she wants to go home in the morning. MARCH 15 THURSDAY - Pleasant and warm, a lovely spring day. There being no drab hats ready, I consequently had nothing to do as I am on that kind of work. Bell came over in the morning for the horse and wagon to carry Mrs. McNabb to Bethel. Bell drove down and back. She came home with the horse about noon and stayed with us to dinner. In the P.M., I trimmed my trees in the yard and rode with Alden G. Crosby up town for a ride. I then went to the Carriage Shop near the bridge for the brace to the Baby’s carriage which I left there this A.M. for repairs. On my way home, I found Jacob J. Fry. I bought 1 dozen eggs of him and he brought me home. Gussie went to meeting in the evening, while I stayed at home with Georgie. The meeting was appointed with the other churches to pray for rum sellers and drinkers. Also gamblers. MARCH 16 FRIDAY - Stormy all day until about sundown when it cleared off. I had work all day in the shop . We were stinted, but it was all that I could do. Received a letter from Aaron Mallett of Redding in reply to one I wrote him about taking 7.3 % (?) U. S. Treasury Notes for the $1,100 I am to pay him on April 1st. He cannot make the Treasury Notes answer his purpose. I went to meeting in the evening. Brother Breckinridge from Bethel preached. After the sermon, there was a prayer meeting. A number were forward for prayer; among them was William Peck. After meeting, I gave Brother Hill the address of James Parmalee at Bridgeport and requested him to write to Brother Simmons, the M. E. Preacher at that place and have him find him out and get him into the Sunday School and church if he can. I also told Brother Hill the reply I got from Mallett regarding the 7.3 % (?) Treasury Notes. First robins and blackbirds that I have heard. MARCH 17 SATURDAY - St. Patrick’s Day. Pleasant this morning. In the after part of the day, the wind increased and we had several snow squalls. It grew cold very fast during the day until the ground was frozen hard. The Catholic Library Association was out on parade today celebrating “St. Patrick’s Day in The Morning”. I was the last man in the shop tonight. I was determined to finish off a dozen which completed my stint. John Crane came to the shop to see me about buying my horse. He concluded to come next Monday night and look at him. George rode Old Jim to Bethel this P.M. to see Peter Starr about work. Father has been sawing wood today for David Bradley and came here for dinner. A one-legged soldier left card pictures here today for sale. He will call on Monday for them and take pay for any we desire to buy. Received a letter from James H. Parmalee in answer to one I wrote last Sunday. I went to market in the evening and called at church with Brother Chittenden to attend Singing Society, but there being no leader present, there was nothing done. Gussie got shawls from the dyers today. George came home from Singing School and stayed a while until he got warm as the wind is very searching and the cold pretty sharp. MARCH 18 SUNDAY - Pleasant, but rather cold and blustering. George went to Bethel as usual in the morning for Mr. Lockwood, the chorister. Gussie attended church in the forenoon and I to Sunday School and to Prayer Meeting in the P.M. After tea, Gussie went over to John Brayman’s for a call. George came down before evening meeting and harnessed the horse and went over to George Starr’s for his carriage to carry Mr. Lockwood home after evening meeting. I went over with him and rode to church from Brother Starr’s. Brother Hill preached in the evening, after which there was a prayer meeting. Several more forward for prayers. Charles Stevens, Jr. acted as assistant librarian this noon in Sunday School for the first time. I borrowed tool sand a few horse shoe nails this morning from Mr. McDonald and drove two in a show which was nearly off the horse as he could not be drove to Bethel in that condition and go he must to get the chorister. My truss broke down and before retiring, I mended it. MARCH 19 MONDAY - Cloudy most of the day. Cold and chilly. Genuine March weather. The harness broke with George on Coal Pit Hill last night as he was returning home from Bethel after carrying Mr. Lockwood home. It was nearly midnight before he was able to get home on account of the break in the harness. As I went to work this morning, I called at the Savings Bank to see if the money I refused to take on account of getting the same of Brother Hill’s mother could not be obtained, as Mrs. Hill is disappointed in getting her money as expected. I could not secure it. We were limited in our work in the shop today. I finished mine about 1 o’clock. I then came home and tore down the old high board fence between Mr. Pond and myself. I divide the old fence rubbish with him and then we build a new fence or se pout a hedge dividing the expense between us. George mended the harness and this afternoon, started for Ridgefield business; thinks he may stay all night. As the road through Sugar Hollow is a very lonesome and dreary one, he borrowed my revolver. He somehow felt impressed that there might be an occasion to use it. I carried our large washtub over to Mr. McDonald’s this morning to have two new hoops put on it. When it was done, he brought it over himself. In the evening, I went down to tell Brother Hill of my business at the Savings Bank this morning. As I entered the door, I met Dr. Bennett’s son coming out. He had been to see Brother Hill’s child, Nelly, who is dangerously sick with the brain disease. George Starr was also there. Brother Hill asked him to lend me $1,100 on my place; he said he could not. I bought some postage stamps and mailed a letter for Gussie to Mrs. Dr. _______ ordering an “anatomical chart”. Gussie bought a card picture of General Grant today from a one-legged soldier who lost the same in battle at New Berne, North Carolina. He was a member of the 10th Regiment, C.V. MARCH 20 FRIDAY - Cloudy, chilly and cold all day; about 6 P.M., it began to snow. We had but a ½ day’s work in the shop. Mr. Crofut called all the men together from both departments to try and make some arrangements with them to work for the same wages as in June, 1864, which with the finishers would be about 50 cents less on a dozen hats than our present bill. He thought if he could get his work done cheaper, he would make up some hats ahead, but if he could get no discount in the manufacturing, he should make none, unless they were ordered. The men concluded not to work for any less at present, but wait and see if the prices of provisions would come down first. In the P.M., I went over to Mr. Hurd’s garden where Henry was digging horse radish and he gave me some to bring home. Gussie went into the street with Mrs. George Davis. When she returned, we grated the horse radish and we had some for supper. I went to meeting in the evening. Brother Hill preached. After the sermon, a prayer meeting was held as usual. William Peck, Anne A. Fanton and another lady were forward; they have been seeking and at the altar for several days past. Before retiring, I went up to see Father Griswold about engaging of Seymour in Norwalk some Arbor vitae for the hedge between Mr. Pond’s yard and mine. George came from Ridgefield this evening. He came home with the horse about 10 o’clock. MARCH 21 WEDNESDAY - Very icy this morning; cloudy all day with some rain. I had ½ day’s work in the shop. I came home and had the headache in the P.M. and the evening. I let John Bouton and David Bradley take the horse just at night to move their tool chest from Larson’s new house which they built down to Sunderland’s Carpenter Shop. Gussie went to prayer meeting in the evening, while I stayed with the baby. George called in the evening. MARCH 22 THURSDAY - A beautiful day. I had ½ day’s work in the shop. As I came home from work at noon, I took from the office a note from Brother Hill referring me to James Selleck for money. I called at John Meeker’s shop to see him. He wants 8% for his money and taxes paid. I called on Brother Hill as I returned and reported on the transaction to him. He advised me not to pay more than 7 per cent as he will let me have it at that rather than do it. Mr. Selleck called as he went home from work to see if I had concluded to take the money at the per cent he named. I told him no. As I could get it at 7.3 percent I should pay him no more than that. He not being willing to take that, I of course did not make a bargain with him and he drove on. John Brayman took the horse over to McDonald’s for me and had him shod over in good shape. He also trimmed his fetlocks and tail which improved the look of the horse very much. When I came home from work, I went over and paid Mr. McDonald $1.23 for the job. I let John take the horse in the evening to take his wife from the depot, she having been to Norwalk to attend the funeral of a niece. I went to a School meeting at Military Hall in the evening and found John. He drove down for me after taking his wife home. I drove home with him and got some letters from Father Griswold and mailed them, he having forgotten them as he went to School meeting. I then drove up to the Hall and gave him a ride home, he being obliged to stay until that time on account of officiating as Chairman. The meeting was called to get the minds of the district whether to divide as heretofore or to continue the consolidation. There is to be a town meeting tomorrow P.M. to decide on continuing the consolidation of the two districts, viz. the North Center and the Center. The two as consolidated voted this evening to continue the consolidation by a majority of 100. MARCH 23 FRIDAY - Pleasant in the morning, but it soon became cloudy and in the P.M., it commenced snowing. I expected but about ½ days’ work in the shop but we had enough to keep me until nearly 6 o’clock. An adjourned town meeting was held at 2 ½ o’clock P.M. to take decisive action in regard to dividing the Center and North Center districts which are now consolidated. Also to arrange for building a large and commodious school house for a higher graded school. The action of the district meeting last evening in regard to a division was ratified by the meeting; also a vote was passed for the town to build the proposed school house. Accordingly, a committee to secure a location was appointed and also to draw plans for the building. I did not attend the meeting myself on account of being too busy at the shop, though I intended in the morning to do so. The result of the meeting as named, I was told. The 10 lbs. of coffee which I sent for by Clark Beers came today. I went in the evening to hear O.S. Ferry and Joseph R. Hawley speak on the issues of the day at Concert Hall and notwithstanding it rained all the evening, the Hall was crowded. I shook General Hawley’s hand after the meeting was over. He seemed the same as when I was with him in the 3 month’s service, and he a captain commanding a Hartford company of volunteers. When I came home, I found George at the house, he having been to hear the speaking and got home first. He came for a sifter to take to Martin Clark. He went to the barn for it as I went to give the horse his feed. MARCH 24 SATURDAY - Cloudy in the morning, but it soon came off pleasant and remained so during the day. I had work until noon in the shop. After dinner, I rode down to Bethel with George who went to see Peter Starr about work in the new forming factory. I left a dozen salves with Mr. Dare to be sold. When we returned, I went to the shop and drew my pay. Then I finished the afternoon in finding and talking with E. Fairchild, Sturgis Selleck and Brother Hill about “money” matters. In the evening, Gussie went into the street with me and bought a pair of shoes. MARCH 25 SUNDAY - I woke and found about 3 inches of snow on the ground and still snowing. It soon cleared off, however. The sun shone bright, but the wind commenced blowing furiously, making it tedious to be out. Gussie went to church in the morning and I went down to Sunday School at noon and to prayer meeting in the P.M. After the prayer meeting, Brother Hill read off the new arrangements of classes which had three new classes added under the leadership of Nelson Nickerson, Joseph W. Allen and Brother Everett, many changes having been made. I was changed to Charles Stevens’ class; my old leader, Peter Starr, is going to move to Bethel. George came home with me to supper, after which he harnessed the horse and went over to George Starr’s for his carriage to go to Bethel for Mr. Lockwood, the chorister, it being too stormy to go for him this morning and they want him this evening at the preaching service, also for a rehearsal before meeting. Gussie went in the evening while I stayed with the baby. It continued windy and cold in the evening. MARCH 26 MONDAY - Clear but windy. We had about a ½ days’ work in the shop with which we were told that there would be no more work until further notice. I then went up to George Starr’s to see if he would lend me $50 on the 1st of April to enable me to pay interest in advance to Edward Fairchild for money which I have made arrangements to have from him. From there, I went up to Mr. Nutt’s Machine Shop to get $12 promised me by Russell Smith which he has owed me since 1860, but I did not get it. I then saw Edward Fairchild on the street and told him I would take the $1,100. He wanted a third person to take the note and mortgage and then he wants to buy the note. I called to see Brother Hill to see if he would act the third person. He had rather not do it. He suggested that I ask Father Griswold to do it and saddled his horse to let me ride up with him to see him (E.E.G.) about it. He consented to act. Brother Hill’s horse broke my front picket fence while hitched at my post. I rode Old Jim up home just before sundown to see our folks. George was made a freeman this forenoon. MARCH 27 TUESDAY - Pleasant, but rather windy. No work in the shop. Father Griswold has concluded not to act the third party regarding the money from Fairchild. So in the P.M., I dropped a line to Mr. Fairchild declining to take the money. I helped Father Griswold nearly all day build lattice work at his back door. Gussie and I were up there to dinner. Mrs. Pond called to see Gussie in the P.M. Gussie took her up to Father Griswold where she made a long call. Seth Downs intended this morning to take my horse to go nearly to Newtown to his wife’s home, but for some reason, he did not come for it at noon as I expected. Bell came down this afternoon to have me cut her hair, but I was too busy, and besides, we persuaded her not to have it done just now. After tea, I wrote an answer to a letter to a letter received this morning from Aaron Mallet of West Redding. Gussie went to market in the evening and mailed it. MARCH 28 WEDNESDAY - A beautiful spring day – no wind, bright sunshine, warm. In the morning, I helped Father Griswold finish off his lattice work at his back door. I then harnessed the horse and he and myself took a ride over to Beaver Brook to see the hands building the Brookfield, Danbury and White Plains Railroad. This was Father Griswold’s first visit to see them. After dinner, I rode down to the courthouse to engage some straw of Theodore Lyon, who was there as one of the Board to make Freemen as Monday and Wednesday of this week were the days designated for that purpose. From there, I went out to his house for the straw (6 sheaves), carrying Uncle Jacob Fry out home from the street as I went. When I returned, I had a severe headache which increased until I retired, which was about 7 o’clock. MARCH 29 THURSDAY - It snowed a little early last night but turned to rain before morning and took it all away. I went downtown in the forenoon and called at D B. Booth’s Office and consulted about the transfer of note and mortgage instead of making out new papers. I went to the shop and got what money was due me - $2.25. I then called at Gillette & Hawley’s and told Hanford Fairchild the reasons for my not taking the $1,100 from his father as I intended. I then went to the Post Office and came home with Father Griswold’s mail. Father was with us to dinner, he having finished a job of sawing wood for John Bouton and came this way to leave my saw which he had been using. It stopped raining about the middle of the P.M. and showed signs of clearing off just at night. I went into the street again before tea and did some shopping; bought some meat, a thimble for myself and shoes for my wife which had been repaired. Received a note from Brother Hill in the evening requesting a written Sunday School report to present to Conference next week. I stopped in at an auction under Concert Hall before I came home in the evening and bid off a silver plated castor for $4.50. MARCH 30 FRIDAY - Fast day. Pleasant. Louise stayed with the baby and let Gussie and I go to church. Mr. Power of the West Street Presbyterian Church preached. The service was held in our church about 10 ½ o’clock. In the P.M., I dug around the posts remaining from the division fence between Mr. Pond and me and too them up. We had dinner and supper together about 4 o’clock, after which I harnessed Old Jim and Gussie and I went up to the cemetery. I drove just beyond to John Crane’s to see if I could sell my horse, but he had just bought one today. There have been Democratic speakers at Concert hall this evening. A Union Prayer Meeting at our church this evening. We stayed at home and did not attend either. Eclipse of the moon tonight – total at 5 minutes before 11 o’clock. MARCH 31 SATURDAY - Cloudy all day; commenced raining a little about noon. It soon stopped; however commenced again in earnest about 5 P.M. After breakfast, I went over to Mr. Nutt’s Machine Shop to see Russell Smith about the $12 he owes me. I did not get it, but he promised it the first of next week. I borrowed $25 of George Starr to make out the amount I need on Monday. I went down to the shop and got $5.00 I lent Mr. Crofut for the Female Guardians’ Society yesterday at church. I saw George in the street; he came home with me to dinner, after which, we drove over to Theo. Smith’s to try and sell our horse to him; we did not succeed. George intended to drive to Bethel just at night to get Mr. Lockwood and have a rehearsal this evening, but the rain prevented. George ordered another cart of feed for the horse which came as I was feeding him tonight. I went to market and brought home my things and then returned into the street to hear William Stewart of Nevada speak on the issues of the day at Concert Hall. Previous to the speaking, I paid Swift & Day $4.50 for the Sunday School, the same being for expressage from April 1st, 1865 to April 1st, 1866 on papers, etc.






Purdy, Horace, 1835-1909. “Horace Purdy Journal March 1866 Entry.” Horace Purdy Journals, MS 044. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 18 Nov. 2019.

Document Viewer


Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.