Horace Purdy Journal September 1869 Entry

Dublin Core




SEPTEMBER 01 WEDNESDAY - Pleasant but cold. More like November than September. Horace Cable and I went with his horse to Brewster Station to take from the Harlem Railroad depot at that location, 7 spring beds to put up in that place. As we went, we took from here two beds which we put up for William Fowler just beyond the state line and for E. C. Clark at Sodom. We got pay for 6 beds and 3 we did not collect, viz., George Hall, John Doty at the hotel, and William Orman. We took dinner at Doty's Hotel, called the Southeast House. On our way home, we stopped at William Storm's and brought into town a copper strip cutting machine. We came by the 8th Regiment encampment at Lake Kenosha at sundown just as they we on dress parade. It was about dark when we got home. SEPTEMBER 02 THURSDAY - Horace Cable came over in the morning for crab apples. He helped me pick what remained on the tree. When we had done picking, I filled his basket and the Charles Hayes and I rode over home with him. I then went down to the Danbury Bank with him and we had a draft made out for D. R. French for the balance of what we owe him - $154.54. I went over to Swift's and wrote a note to French and enclosed the draft and mailed it. In the P.M., I went over to Cable's and got some safety bars and the tools and came home and put one in our bedstead. After putting it in, I took Willie Griswold and threw him on the bed quite hard and broke a slat. I then had to go over to Mr. Cable's again for a slat and came home and put it in in place of the broken one. In the evening, I went to market and Gussie went to Professor John Logan's' lecture on Physiognomy. The day has been pleasant except an occasional cloud, which in passing over, would give us a little sprinkle. SEPTEMBER 03 FRIDAY - Pleasant and warmer. In the morning, I went over to Horace Cable's and went down into Main Street with him at mail tine. We saw Governor Jewell and staff at the depot just arrived with horses and equipage for reviewing the 8th Regiment in the P.M. at Lake Kenosha. I received a letter from Sigler Brothers, 131-133 Mercer Street, New York, requesting me to send the amount of my indebtedness which I owed when I sold out in New York and cannot pay because Henry Day, who took my business, has not paid me. In the P.M., Gussie, Louise and I went onto the street designing to take one of the omnibuses and ride out to camp and see Gov. Jewell review the regiment, but all the conveyances were overloaded and we gave up the idea of going. I came home and pulled weeds in my garden. Gussie went to the phrenological lecture in the evening. I went to market and down to the Turner House to see Gov. Jewell who with his staff holds a reception. SEPTEMBER 04 SATURDAY - Pleasant and warm. I went to Bethel by the morning train to collect from Thomas Wheeler $6.00 for a spring bed, but did not get it. I took an order from Mr. Agnew for a spring bed. I came home by the up A. M. train and saw Mr. Henry Day but could get no encouragement from him regarding the payment of his notes. The 8th Regiment marched in from the lake about 3 P.M. and broke up at the depot. They started for home on the 4:15 train. I received a letter from Mr. J. E. Chapman from New York concerning the Empire Spring Bed. Henry Cable wants Putnam County in which to sell them. I also received a note from Mr. French acknowledging receipt of $154.54 to balance Cable & Purdy's account. I did some marketing and then came home. SEPTEMBER 05 SUNDAY - Pleasant. I went with Georgie down to Sunday school at noon. We came home again after school. After dinner, which we had about 4 P.M., Gussie and I walked over to Ambrose Hill's, but Ambrose had started for New York before we got there. He went to Brookfield intending to take a train this evening from there to Bridgeport and then a night boat to New York so as to get to Brooklyn for breakfast tomorrow morning. Gussie went to church this evening. I stayed at home. SEPTEMBER 06 MONDAY - Hot. In the forenoon, I helped Robert Cocking clean out and repair his cistern. In the P.M., I went over to F. H. Austin's and took a measurement of his bedstead for a set of springs. From there, I went over to Sturdivant's factory. From there, I came to the lower end of town and then up home to see mother. I wrote three letters - one to J. E. Chapman, giving Twitchell's prices for spring beds, one to Twitchell about New London and Windham Counties, and One to D. R. French with a draft for $60.00 enclosed. Mrs. Sweetland and daughter came by the P.M. train from Hartford to see Edwin's wife at Mother Griswold's. Their baggage was left behind today and I went to the depot this evening on the arrival of the train to get it for them, a black traveling bag. Late in the evening, I went over to Horace Cable's and gave him the tree and bed orders I had on my book from New York State. SEPTEMBER 07 TUESDAY - Appearance of rain in the morning, but before noon it came off pleasant. Just at night it clouded over again and rained in showers all evening. I have been to Bethel and stayed all day. I took tea with Mrs. Dare. I sold 7 beds. I took another tea after I came home and then went up to see Charles Bradley about a spring bed, but did not find him at home. I then came down to John Bouton's for the measurement of his bed, but they having company in the bed, I did not measure the bedstead. From there, I went over to Horace Cable's to get some names for spring beds which he had got for me. I then came home feeling about used up. Before retiring, I helped Gussie seal up some of her cups of crab apple jelly. SEPTEMBER 08 WEDNESDAY - The day has been broken. A considerable rain has fallen and yet the sun has shone a little. I canvassed in the forenoon for my spring beds. After dinner, I went again and after 4 o'clock, I sold 4 beds, two to Mrs. William Bennett, one to Mrs. Charles Bradley, and one to John Bouton. I received by the morning mail a letter from D. R. French saying that I must hereafter deal with Mr. Twitchell as he has given up the General Agency. In the evening, I wrote an order for 14 spring beds, eight for Bethel and six for Danbury, the first lot for myself since giving up my partner, Cable. I also wrote to William Hayes for Stark's address that I might write and if possible collect the $20.00 he owes me. I also wrote to George to have him collect the $7.50 owing me in Yonkers. Before retiring, I helped seal up and mark crab apple and blackberry jelly. SEPTEMBER 09 THURSDAY - Pleasant but cooler. Our Sunday School and the Baptist School held a picnic at the junction of the New York Northern and Housatonic railroads near Brookfield. Anne, Edwin's wife, and her two children, Fanny and Willie started for Ohio. They took the 11A.M. train to Brookfield. AT 12 noon, Mr. & Mrs. Sweetland and daughter Martha started for home in Hartford. I went over to Crofut's Mill in the A. M. to try and sell Mr. Crofut a spring bed. I did not succeed but sold one to his miller, Jack Wolf. I came home by way of Horace Cable's and got a set of springs. From there and before dinner, I put them in one of the beds I yesterday measured for Mrs. William Bennett. In the P.M., I went up to Tweedy's Factory with my bed model. I sold three before I got home Turner Stevens, George F. Larkin and George Swords. Gussie being detained at the picnic, Hattie Mills and I got our tea and ate it before she got home. In the evening, I went to market and then to the barber's to get my hair cut. SEPTEMBER 10 FRIDAY - Cold in the morning but a pleasant day and warm in the middle of the day. I went to the shop in the morning and stretched Georgie's straw hat and had one blocked (a fur one) preparatory to finishing it. Before dinner, I took an order from Joel Foster for a spring bed. Received by morning mail a letter from T. E. Twitchell that he had shipped yesterday 6 beds to me. After dinner, I hired Mr. Bouton's horse and went to the depot for my spring beds. I took Mr. Austin's over to him and put it in. I also put in one for John W. Bouton and one for Mrs. Charles Bradley. Horace Cable came over to see me about dark. After tea, I went to market. SEPTEMBER 11 SATURDAY - Pleasant. I spent a part of the afternoon in finishing a hat for Georgie. I carried Hattie Mill's dinner to her at noon at the Mallory Shop. I took a letter from the Office this forenoon for Horace Cable from J. E. Chapman & Co., New York (the Empire Spring Bed maker). In the evening, I went to market and took home from the Office a bill from Twitchell for 8 beds shipped today for Bethel. SEPTEMBER 12 SUNDAY - Pleasant. About meeting time this morning, Father came down to see me. I went down to Sunday School at noon and home again after the session. I went to church in the evening. Brother Burch preached. SEPTEMBER 13 MONDAY - Pleasant and warmer than for some days past. I have been to Bethel today. I went by train this morning and returned by same in the evening. I had 8 beds come by freight to Bethel where I met them and delivered and put them up which took me until dark. I took dinner with Aunt Harriet Mills. In the A.M., I put a safety bar in Mr. Dare's bed. Gussie met me this evening at the depot with the Sunday School books. I took them and attended the Teachers' Meeting without returning home. My resignation as secretary & treasurer was accepted and Thomas Bradley was elected. SEPTEMBER 14 TUESDAY - Pleasant. I spent a portion of the day selling my spring beds. Just at night, I went down to Dr. Benedict's and put in a set of springs for Anna Eastwood. While we were at tea, Hannah Gregory came in to countermand an order Mrs. Rowan gave me today for a spring bed. I went to market in the evening with Gussie. I mailed this P.M. a check to Mr. Twitchell for $54.72, amount due him for my first set of beds. In the evening, Mr. Pond came in to pay me $10.00 borrowed last Saturday. He drew his check on Pahquioque Bank for $50.00. I am to draw it for him tomorrow and from it take my $10.00. SEPTEMBER 15 WEDNESDAY - A little lowery in the morning but it came off pleasant and warm. I rode down to Grassy Hill in the morning on a load of hat cases with William Bouton. I canvassed there and at Oren Benedict's shop until the freight train came when I took it and came home to Danbury. After I arrived, I went to the Pahquoique Bank with Mr. Pond's check for 50.00. I got the money and in the evening, returned $40.00 to Mr. Pond. In the P.M., I called at the parsonage and Mrs. Burch paid me $5.00 for a bed purchased in July. A bed order from W. H. Barnum. SEPTEMBER 16 THURSDAY - I canvassed a little at home for my spring beds. After dinner, I went on Highland Avenue to sell beds. After tea, I went into the street and arranged with Harry Buckley to go tomorrow morning with me to Newtown to take a bed spring to H. D. Warner in place of one broken which he has. Also to collect from Henry Willis $6.00 for one I sold him in July. SEPTEMBER 17 FRIDAY - About 6:30 this morning, Harry Buckley drove around for me to go to Newtown per arrangement. I took over the springs for J. Warner and put them in and collected $6.00 from Henry Willis for a bed. I took another order of two from W. J. Dick (hotel), also an order for another from J. B. Wheeler. We came home by way of the Steam Excavator arriving about noon. A little fine rain on our way over in the morning. I had 6 more beds (also 2 slats and a frame for George Andrews) come on the freight train. I hired Mr. Judd's horse to deliver them. I put up Turner Stevens', Jacob Wolff's, George Larkin's, Mr. Pond's and George Sword's, leaving Joel Foster's and the slats for George Andrews until tomorrow. In the evening, I took an order for one from Fred Hull. Received by the evening mail two letters from T. E. Twitchell with bills of beds to Danbury and Bethel. SEPTEMBER 18 SATURDAY - Gussie's birthday. She is 33 years old. I started this morning to get a new lid made for the box containing my spring bed model. Before I could get back, it commenced raining. I went over to Joel Foster's about 8 A.M. and put in his spring bed. From there I went over to George Andrew's and made over his old one which he has used for 3 years or more. I added two new slats and a new frame making a 9 slatter instead of 7 slats. I went to Bethel by the 4 P.M. train and bot in a bed for C.H. Benedict. From there I went over to W.H. Barnum's to put in one for him, but his wife having company, I deferred it until next week. I then rode up home with B. F. Bailey. SEPTEMBER 19 SUNDAY - Pleasant. I attended church in the morning to hear our old pastor, Brother William Hill, preach. We have no pastor now. He (Burch) is only a preacher. I stayed to Sunday School to see how Theo Bradley, the new secretary and treasurer, got along with his new duties. This is his first Sunday in the new position and the first since I was relieved. In the P.M., Gussie went to the Universalist to hear Mr. Haskell preach a memorial sermon for the late General John Rawlins, Secretary of War, who died in Washington, D. C. on September 6th. His wife, daughter of Stephen Hurlburt, is here at home with her father. SEPTEMBER 20 MONDAY - Hot, very hot. I went to Bethel by the train in the morning and put in asset of bed springs for S.H. Barnum. I spent my time in Bethel until the freight train came in and then came home. Mary Mills came on the same train. Four more beds came on the train, 2 for Dick's hotel, 1 for J.B. Wheeler, and 1 for myself. I did not take them from the depot as three of them I will take to Newtown tomorrow morning. Just at night, I made arrangements with Harry Buckley for his horse tomorrow to go to Newtown. After tea, I went over to Division Street and measured a bed for A. Kenner. I then went down to Blackman's to get a crystal put in my watch. I received by the evening mail a bill from T. E. Twitchell for the four beds shipped on Saturday and received today. I came home and filled out a check for the same - $32.68, to mail to him tomorrow morning. SEPTEMBER 21 TUESDAY - I have had Harry Buckley's horse to go to Newtown. I put in 2 spring beds for Dick's hotel and one more for J. B. Wheeler. I intended to canvass Newtown and perhaps stay overnight but the rain commencing about 1 o'clock, I started for home expecting a hard storm. But it stopped and rained no more during the P.M. I got home about 6 P.M. SEPTEMBER 22 WEDNESDAY - In the morning, I made 2 cross bars for a 51inch bed to use with Turner Stevens bed for Fred Hull. At 10 o'clock, I went to the Danbury Bank and deposited $32.62 for a check sent to T.E. Twitchell for bed springs. From there, I went up to Turner Stevens and took out the springs I put in for him. I am going to put them in for Fred Hull. Cloudy. Rain about 2 P.M. About 4 o'clock, I got Luther Patton to drive over to Turner Stevens and bring away a bed for me and take to Fred Hull which I put up for him before night. In the evening, I went into the street. SEPTEMBER 23 THURSDAY - Lowery in the morning. I went down to Col. Chichester and to George Benedict and took an order from each for spring beds and returned home to dinner. Received by the morning mail a receipt from T. E. Twitchell for the last check I sent him - $32.68. It cleared off in the P.M. I canvassed in Maple Avenue until teatime and came home. In the evening, I mailed a check to T.E. Twitchell for $14.450 in full for beds to date. SEPTEMBER 24 FRIDAY - I hired Harry Buckley's team and went to canvassing towards Newtown for my bed springs. I sold three to Eugene Jennings, Jabez Peck and Reuben Blackman. The last one was on the hill overlooking Newtown. It then being night, I turned and drove home. SEPTEMBER 25 SATURDAY - Pleasant. In the morning, I went down to Foster Brothers Carpenter Shop to collect $7.25 for spring beds from Joel Foster. He paid me $5.00 of it. I then went up to Samuel Holby's shop to see George Sword. He could not pay me today. He has just buried his baby. At 10 o'clock, I went to the Danbury Bank and deposited $14.50 for a check I sent to T.E. Twitchell in New Haven. Reunion of the 23rd Regiment. Many of the veterans of the Bethel Military Company and the City Band from Bridgeport came on the 10:15 train. They formed and marched to Concert Hall where officers of the Regimental Association were elected for the coming year. After which the line again formed and the grand parade commenced. The parade ended by marching into the Wooster House yard where an abundant dinner was served up free of charge. All appeared to enjoy it. D.R. French, one of the veterans of the 23rd was here also. I found him and we had a little visit together by ourselves. I went with him to try and find George Ambler but we could not. SEPTEMBER 26 SUNDAY - Stormy . It has rained hard all day. None of us has been out to church. This is the first Sunday in a long time that I have remained indoors all day. Harry Buckley called about dusk. I brought some of my 'Louise Bond de Jersey' pears. He ate a number and took several to his wife. SEPTEMBER 27 MONDAY - Pleasant but cold. It rained hard during last night but came off clear this morning. I rode to Bethel this P.M. with Harry Buckley to try to collect $6.50 at Luby's shop from A.C.Williams but he was not there. When I returned I called to see Mr. Ferrell about bedsprings but he concluded to defer the thing until next spring. In the evening, I ordered (and mailed the same) seven more beds from Twitchell. SEPTEMBER 28 TUESDAY - A heavy white frost this morning, the first of the season. In the forenoon, I prepared a place for 2 rows of 'Jacunda Strawberry' plants and got in 12 bushels of potatoes from Father Griswold's cellar. I killed and we had for dinner one of the three chickens that has been living with us all summer. In the P.M., I had a sick headache, but I went over to Ambrose Hill's for the plants and set them out just at night. After putting out the plants, I was so sick that I could hardly hold up my head. I took but a mouthful for tea, and retired early. SEPTEMBER 29 MONDAY - Pleasant but cold with another white frost. My head ached all night. I feel bad today. I cleaned up my pistol in the morning. I went into the street before dinner. On the arrival of the freight train, I went to the depot to see if 7 spring beds which I have ordered came, but they did not. I then got Harry Buckley to drive his horse with me and one spring bed down to George Benedict's. Mrs. Benedict not being home, I left it and returned home without putting it in. Wrote to George and mailed in the evening about not receiving money the 27th inst., also about being in New York next week to see him. I received a receipted bill by evening mail from T. E. Twitchell for $14.49, also notice that today he shipped me 7 beds. SEPTEMBER 30 THURSDAY - Pleasant and warmer. After breakfast, I went down to the lower end of Main Street to George V. Benedict's and put in the spring bed I left down there yesterday P.M. I then came uptown and called on Mrs. Anna Eastwood to see about pay for spring beds I put in for her on the 14th. From there, I went to Randall & Bradley's Store and 'altered a cat' for them. I bought a mixed colored coat (of sack) of B. C. Sherwood, the pawnbroker, for $7.00. In the P.M., I hired Almon Judd's horse to get some bed springs from the depot. I put in one for Abram Chichester and two for Mrs. Alice Ford. I delivered one to Mrs. Keynes on Division Street, but they being away, I could not put it in. I have three more to put in tomorrow ' one to Beaverbrook at Eugene Jennings' and two just this side of Newtown for John Peck and Reuben Blackman. I went up to Kenner's in the evening to put in his bed, but they still being away, I could not.






Purdy, Horace, 1835-1909. “Horace Purdy Journal September 1869 Entry.” Horace Purdy Journals, MS 044. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 29 Jan. 2020.

Document Viewer


Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.