Search Constraints

Start Over You searched for: Place Connecticut (state) Remove constraint Place: Connecticut (state)

Search Results

University of Connecticut. Thomas J. Dodd Research Center
An artificial collection, the Connecticut Soldiers Collection was created to provide a starting point for research concerning the experiences of Connecticut servicemen from the Civil War through the Vietnam War. The sources for the materials are provided in the collection.
In 1809, John W. Tibbits and Lafayette Tibbits came to Jewett City, Connecticut, and purchased a mill privilege on the Pachaug River. After enjoying several good years during the War of 1812, the company was reorganized in 1815, and incorporated on 20 September 1816. The company was soon struggling and was finally sold in 1823 to John Slater. On the death of John Slater in 1843, his two sons John Fox and William S. Slater inherited his business properties. John F. Slater was succeeded by his son William A. Slater in 1884. Two years later, the Great Freshet of 1886 destroyed most of the dams along the Pachaug. As a result, the Slater mills were inundated, production was lost for many months, and more than $150,000 was spent for repairs. This crisis was surmounted and by 1896, the company's most prosperous period, 700 looms and 19,000 spindles were operating, providing employment for 500 people. The major products were stripes, plaids, flannels, shirtings, dress goods, and fancy colored goods.