Included are papers and projects on art and architecture prepared by students at Yale University. The bulk of the papers date from 1915 to 1977, a period when the various sponsoring schools and departments formed and reformed under various names. The School of Fine Arts was opened in 1866 and a full professional course in architecture, was added in 1913. In 1958 the name of the school was changed to the School of Art and Architecture. In 1972 it was divided in to two parts: the School of Art and the School of Architecture, granting degrees of Master of Fine Arts, Master of Architecture and Master of Environmental Design. The Department of the History of Art in the Graduate School offers a program of courses leading to a Doctor of Philosophy.