- Starnes, Leland and Yale University. Dramatic Association
- The records consist primarily of the production files maintained by Leland Starnes as director of the Yale Dramatic Association (Yale Dramat). Included are prompt scripts, notes, photographs, cast lists, rehearsal schedules, sheet music, budgets, ground plans, stage designs (sketches), programs, posters, sound recordings, and newsclippings. Also included are a complete set of meeting minutes of the Yale Dramatic Association from 1960 to 1968 and a small amount of correspondence.
- 5.5 Linear Feet
- Acquisition information:
- Acquired from Mary Starnes, 2004.
- Rules or conventions:
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Scope and Content:
The records are arranged in two accessions. The bulk of the records consist of production files maintained by Leland Starnes as director of the Yale Dramatic Association. The files offer a glimpse into the director's creative process through annotated prompt scripts, correspondence, and research notes, as well as to the productions themselves, through cast lists, programs, photographs, sound recordings and newsclippings.
Additional documention on Starnes' productions is included in the Yale Dramatic Association Records (RU 300) in Manuscripts and Archives.
- Biographical / Historical:
Leland Starnes received his B.A. (1950) and M.A.T. (1951) from Harvard University and his Doctor of Fine Arts from Yale University in 1965. In addition to being the director of the Yale Dramatic Association from 1960 to 1968, he was an instructor of speech (1960-1966) and assistant professor (1966-1967) in the Yale School of Drama. Starnes left Yale in 1968 to become Director of Drama at the University of Pittsburgh.
The Yale Dramatic Association was established in 1900.
The records are arranged by accession and chronologically by year of production therein.
Forms part of Yale Record Group 40 (YRG 40), Records of Yale clubs, societies and organizations.