Collection ID: MS 513

Collection context

Summary

Date:
1596-1794
Abstract:
Papers from two villages in the South Tyrol: Algund and Tramin. The papers from Algund relate to the parsonage and include inventories and various legal forms concerning the duties of the parson. The larger group of papers pertain to the administration of an imperial vineyard located near Tramin and contains lists of deliveries together with miscellaneous correspondence (1596-1720).
Extent:
0.25 Linear Feet
Language:
English

Background

Acquisition information:
Gift of B. Westermann in 1941.
Rules or conventions:
translation missing: en.enumerations.resource_finding_aid_description_rules.Finding aid created in accordance with Manuscripts and Archives Processing Manual
Scope and Content:

This collection of seventeenth and eighteenth century documents from the Tyrol can be divided into two groups. The first contains papers concerning the parsonage of Algund (also spelled Allgundt), a small village near Meran in the South Tyrol. Included are inventories set up after the death of the parson, a form for a declaration to be signed by each incoming parson concerning his duties and obligations, and a letter of application for the job as minister in Algund.

The second and larger group consists of documents pertaining to the administration of an imperial vineyard, the personal property of the Emperor, located near Tramin, a small Tyrolean village in the vicinity of Bolzen (Bolzano), known for its red wine. The bulk of the papers are lists of deliveries of wine made yearly to certain beneficiaries, apparently court officials and army officers. There are also six letters from the imperial governor of Upper Austria, the superior authority, to the local administrator of the estate, the Amtmann. These deal with various administrative matters. One of the documents appears to be a letter of thanks of acknowledgement from one of the beneficiaries, another the draft of a report by the Amtmann to his superiors.

These papers were sent to Yale University by B. Westermann in 1941.

Access

LOCATION OF THIS COLLECTION:
Sterling Memorial Library
Yale Campus
New Haven, CT, USA
CONTACT:
(203) 432-1735
mssa.assist@yale.edu