Collection ID: M.84

Collection context

Summary

Date:
1898-1996 and undated
Abstract:
The Waterbury Hospital Papers contain various documents regarding the history of Waterbury Hospital from the late 1800s through the early 2000s. Documents include photographs, records books, and hospital magazines. Photographs depict the children's ward, radiology center, operating room, and other medical procedures. Additionally, the collection contains information about the Waterbury Nursing School which was associated with the hospital. Items include a scrapbook kept by a nursing student in 1935 and an oral history interview with Ginger Golymbieski, a former student who then worked at the hospital. The interview details her schooling and practice as a nurse.
Extent:
1.84 Linear Feet and 1 legal manuscript box, 1 flat box, and 1 magazine file
Language:
English .

Background

Rules or conventions:
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Scope and Content:

The Waterbury Hospital Papers contains documents from 1898-1996 and undated. The collection largely contains photos and magazines produced by the hospital. This collection was a part of the 20th Century Enterprise Project.

The Waterbury Hospital Papers contain various documents regarding the history of Waterbury Hospital from the late 1800s through the early 2000s. Documents include photographs, records books, and hospital magazines. Photographs depict the children's ward, radiology center, operating room, and other medical procedures. Additionally, the collection contains information about the Waterbury Nursing School which was associated with the hospital. Items include a scrapbook kept by a nursing student in 1935 and an oral history interview with Ginger Golymbieski, a former student who then worked at the hospital. The interview details her schooling and practice as a nurse.

Biographical / Historical:

In 1882 Henry Morrow, the editor and publisher of the newspaper The Republican wrote an editorial headlined "Waterbury Pressing Need – A Hospital," a year later Waterbury Hospital was granted a charter of incorporation and fundraising efforts for equipment began. In 1890 the hospital opened in the Wilson House on Riverside Street; a Victorian-style mansion owned by inventor A.B. Wilson. The first patient of the hospital was Frederick Siebert, a Waterbury upholsterer with pneumonia and the first surgery was performed on Patrick Fitzpatrick, a farmhand whose eye had been gored by an ox. In 1911 the main building of the hospital opened, with 75 beds. The hospital then began a long period of expansion, in 1919 the Peck's Wing opened, then the North Wing in 1929, the West Wing in 1953, and the Pomeroy Pavillion in 1972. Added much later was a satellite office for physicians in Naugatuck, Thomaston and Southbury, as well as a helicopter pad. In 2015 a letter of intent was signed by Prospect Medical Group of Los Angeles to buy the Greater Waterbury HEALTH Network.

Up until the 1970s the Waterbury Hospital had a Nursing School. The students would live at the hospital, sharing a room with another student and sleeping in bunkbeds. Because the students lived at the school, they were assigned a housemother and given a 7pm weekday curfew. There was a point system to earn rewards, such as staying out past curfew. Each student was assigned an older sister who would mentor her through the three years of nursing school. All the lessons were taught by each department's staff. Students learned about diet through cooking with the dietician, they did clinicals everyday through the hospital, and were often mentored by the doctors in each wing. After three years students earned their white caps and celebrated graduation at St John's Episcopal Church. After graduation the newly graduated nurses often worked at Waterbury Hospital for one year in order to earn them a recommendation letter. Although the hospital no longer continues the nursing school the alumni association is over 600 members and is very active. They host a yearly picnic at Quassapaug.

Access

LOCATION OF THIS COLLECTION:
63 Prospect St
Waterbury, CT, USA
CONTACT:
(203) 753-0381
scrawford@mattmuseum.org