Collection ID: 1981.0005

Collection context

Summary

Date:
undated, 1948-1970
Abstract:
First established as a program within the Labor Management Institute in 1946, the Labor Education evolved into a separate center in 1961. Its purpose is to fulfill the educational, consultation, and research needs of the state's unions.
Extent:
12.75 Linear Feet
Language:
English

Background

Acquisition information:
The records of the Labor Education Center were transferred to the Historical Manuscripts and Archives division (now Archives Special Collections) of the University of Connecticut Library in August 1981 by George E. O'Connell, Director of the Labor Education Center.
Rules or conventions:
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Scope and Content:

The Labor Education Center records are arranged in twelve series, and contain records pertaining to Labor Education Center staff, directors, and also to unions, organizations, the WACAP, LEC-sponsored programs, courses, conferences, seminars, workshops, and numerous other labor-related publications, history, records, reports, and similar materials as they relate to labor education and the Labor Education Center.

Biographical / Historical:

First established as a program within the Labor Management Institute in 1946, Labor Education evolved into a separate center in 1961. Its purpose is to fulfill the educational, consultation and research needs of the state's unions, employee organization and their members in the field of labor education. The Center also seeks to provide a greater understanding of the labor movement on the part of government officials, business leaders, the University community and the general public.

As the Labor Education Center's first director, John Glynn established many of the goals and priorities that continue to guide the center today. Dr. Glynn began working as an instructor for LMI when it was founded in 1946. Throughout his long career, Dr. Glynn strongly influenced the Center's policy development. Upon John Glynn's death in 1979, George E. O'Connell became director of the Center. Mark Sullivan has also served as director.

Arrangement:

Series I: Personnel Files(1954-1966)[RESTRICTED] contains the records of the Labor Education Center staff. Folders include employee evaluations, attendance records, employee vitae, salary information, correspondence and memoranda, and minutes of staff meetings. One folder contains job applications for LEC positions. The series is arranged alphabetically by employee name. Personnel files in this series are restricted. For information about access, contact the University Archivist.

Series II: John Glynn Files(1949-1968) contains the records kept by Dr. Glynn during his years with LMI and in his capacity as director of the LEC. The files are arranged alphabetically in five subseries: General, Labor Education Center; Courses and Workshops; Labor Management Institute; Publications; and University of Philippines. The bulk of the series is comprised of subject files. Other types of material included are correspondence, printed material, contracts and agreements, minutes, notes, and memoranda.

Series III: Unions and Organizations(undated) contains general information, promotional leaflets, newsletters and other printed material created by or regarding various state unions and organizations. The series is arranged alphabetically by organization.

Series IV: Windham Area Community Action Program [WACAP](undated, 1965-1970) contains the records of a local agency that designed and implemented programs aimed at aiding the poor and disadvantaged. Typical of these programs were Headstart and Legal Aid Society. John Glynn served as a member of WACAP's board of directors and collected the bulk of these files. The series is primarily composed of administrative and subject files regarding WACAP sponsored programs. Correspondence and memoranda, minutes of board meetings, annual reports, publications and newsclippings, and policy statements are also included.

Series V: Extension Programs (undated, 1948-1968) is composed of records documenting LEC-sponsored courses and conferences held throughout the state. The series is arranged alphabetically by the town where programs were held. Program content is not always identified on the folder listing.

Series VI: LEC-sponsored Conferences(undated, 1947-1969) documents conferences held for various state organizations and unions or concerning a specific labor-related topic. The series is arranged alphabetically by conference name and includes conference packet material, handouts and attachments, agendas, correspondence, and memoranda.

Series VII, Labor Training Programs (undated, 1949-1969) contains information regarding LEC-sponsored courses offered to specific labor organizations. The series is arranged alphabetically by the town in which the programs were held. The organization receiving training is also identified.

Series VIII: Corporate-sponsored Seminars (undated, 1950-1960) contains information regarding programs held by specific companies or other organizations for their employees. The series is arranged alphabetically by the town in which the seminars were held.

Series IX: Mutual Security Agency (undated, 1952-1953) documents programs sponsored by M.S.A. and administered by the LEC. The bulk of the series relates to the trade union program held in 1953. Included in the files are correspondence, photographs, reports, and other printed materials.

Series X: Workshops (undated, 1950-1956) contains information regarding workshops sponsored by LEC and is arranged by subject.

Series XI: Connecticut Valley Hospital (circa 1960s) [RESTRICTED] is composed of records of unionized employees at the Hospital. Documentation of employee grievances is included. Grievances files are restricted; see University Archivist concerning access.

Series XII: Reports (1950-1965) contains studies created by and for LEC for adminstrative, training, promotional, and research purposes. Also included are newsclippings on labor-related articles. The series is arranged alphabetically by publication name, author, or subject.

Access

LOCATION OF THIS COLLECTION:
405 Babbidge Road
Unit 1205
Storrs, CT 06269-1205, USA
CONTACT:
860.486.2524
archives@uconn.edu