From the introduction: "Danbury and many other towns literally "farmed out" their public charges a century ago. Those dependent upon public charity for a home were placed with whoever would care for them at the lowest price; in other words, let out to the lowest bidder. In 1868, a move was undertaken here - and bitterly contested by those in favor of the letting-out system - to bring together the town charges at an almshouse or town farm. The original building, erected in 1869, gave way some years later to the three-floor brick structure, known as Broadview, which has served as the town 1 s poor house until now. Broadview is the last farm operating in Fairfield County and one of the last few in the state. Changing conditions made establishment of a town farm a wise and proper move in 1868. Changing conditions have made abandonment of the town farm a wise and necessary move at the end of the fiscal year in June."
Hammond, Gladys B. “Broadview Farm, 1869-1962.” Truman A. Warner Papers, MS026. WCSU Archives, 10 Dec. 2015. Accessed on the Web: 20 May 2019.
Copy the code below into your web page