Horace Purdy Journal January 1905 Entry

Dublin Core


8 pgs


JANUARY 01 SUNDAY - Mercury at 7 AM – 36. A beautiful morning. Mary attended church this morning. I wrote a postal to Clara Watkins for her, wishing her to answer one sent recently to her. Just before doing my barn chores, I called across the street to see how old Mr. Hickok is doing. He is gradually growing weaker; he can’t last long. He is liable to drop away at any time. JANUARY 02 MONDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 26. Last night was a beautiful starlit one and the sun rose with a beautiful red, but it soon began to cloud over and about 11 o’clock, it began to rain. News by morning papers of the surrender of Port Arthur. After George arrived this morning from Bethel we changed from sleigh to wagon and I drove downtown and mailed a policy and calendar to Henry Supple at Brookfield. Then I delivered a policy and collected from Henry Beradi; also delivered a policy to Morelock & Husk and then returned new pension certificates and vouchers for next month’s payment to Andrew Bell on Lake Avenue. Alexander Lee called in the PM for a calendar. Catherine Ryan came in also in the PM and paid for her furniture insurance. In the evening, I made up the accounts for the Sun and Reliance and sent a check in each and mailed them before I closed the office at 9 PM. JANUARY 03 TUESDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 35. Rainy. In the forenoon, I went over to Meadow Street and arranged for the renewal of Booth Radcliff, Howard Bradley and O. B. Sanford. I made a new case of insuring Joseph Knowlton’s market. In the PM, the widow of Rufus Rice called and started papers in application for a pension and about dusk called again to say that her son, unbeknownst to her commences proceeding for the same with Captain Quien. In the PM, I went up to Balmforth and had George Bard make up his proof of loss for the fire on Christmas Day. I wrote to J. H. Searle ordering pension supplies and enclosing a postal order for $1.15 in payment of same. M. Daragan gave me a check for $20.50 for insurance on his block. I made a deposit and added to same a $300 note which was discounted for three months. I received from the Connecticut Fire Insurance Company cash of $.89 in a letter as being the amount overpaid of the October balance. JANUARY 04 WEDNESDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 10. A regular blizzard. Snow and wind. I dug out to the office and bar before George came from Bethel which was about 9:30 AM, when he brought ½ dozen tire bolts and we used one of them to repair the spindle buggy, after which we finished shoveling the snow paths. At noon time, Eugene Hyatt came in and had his pension voucher executed and sent to Charles Orr, US pension agent at Buffalo, NY where he draws his pension. After dinner, while digging a path from curb to street (task of about 5 minutes), Fred Bevans came along and insisted against my wishes to help me shovel. I said now and he said yes. When done, he wanted to borrow $.25 cents, just as I expected; he did not get it. I went up to O. B. Sanford’s to deliver a furniture policy but as no one was home, did not succeed. I then called at George Bard’s for my fountain pen which I left there yesterday while making up his proof of loss. On my return, I stopped at Bryant’s and had him touch the regulator and set my watch. Mrs. Selleck stopped about 5 PM for their 1905 calendar. JANUARY 05 THURSDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – zero. Pleasant and cold. A letter from the Equitable declining the application of Anne Regan. Letter also from W. Furness wanting more particulars about the small loss of John Greeley under the Greenwich policy reinsured by his company, the Commercial Union. Before dinner, George went with me to deliver O. Sanford’s policy and arrange for renewal of Mrs. Spencer, Lottie Cowl and Howard Bradley. After dinner, I wrote for Mrs. Hawley a letter to the teacher s pupils of room 14 of the New Street School, acknowledging the receipt of a Christmas box from them. After doing my barn work, just about dusk, I went downtown, mailed a reply to W. Furness, went over to the Bates place and arranged with Mrs. Spencer for renewal of her furniture policy, then went over to Sarah Austin about change of store to dwelling and a reduced rate therefore. Fannie Hirsch called this evening. JANUARY 06 FRIDAY – Mercury at 6 AM 10. About 2 inches of snow during last night and it has continued moderately during the day. Mr. Beeman rode with me about an hour before dinner to collect from O. B. Sanford and a balance from William Conklin. I delivered a store policy to Joseph Knowlton at 56 White Street and got another bottle of liprozene at Doran’s, after which Mr. Beeman looked at some weather strips for his doors and then we came home. In the afternoon, I walked up to Dr. Sunderland’s to show him a stone from my bladder dragged out with a catheter while drawing my water. From there, I went over to Rundle & White’s to talk about the Sun policy I wrote for them for which they paid by way of Herbert Wildman from whom I am unable to collect, but they were not at the factory. I then called on Fred Seymour and collected $5.00 on his insurance, then went over to the Bates place and got Mrs. Spencer’s name. It is Mary Catherine Spencer. I then called at the village store and got a pound of butter and arranged with Doran for 6 more bottles of liprizene for $5.50. I called on Frank Ives but collected nothing. I arranged with insurance inspector Howe to make minimum rates on Sarah Austin’s building at 234 White Street. George Harvey called this AM and arranged for the renewal of his Steven Street property and paid the premium. After supper, I went over to George Purdy’s to give him Dr. Sunderland’s and my order for coffee for which George will send the order to Mrs. Kimball. From there, I went over to Orchard Street and left a big figured calendar for Mrs. Jennie Townsend. JANUARY 07 SATURDAY – Mercury at 6 AM – 45. The storm turned to rain last night and continued all night with which the melted snow has given us quite an addition to the city water supply. It cleared away giving us bright sunshine before dinner, the clouded over again about 2 PM. In the forenoon, I delivered two polices - Agricultural and Sun - to Flint & Smith on the Danbury News Plant. I collected of Joseph Knowlton on insurance for his store. After dinner, John Greeley came in and signed the proof of loss which occurred December 26 for the amount of $5.00 which I mailed to special agent W. Furness at Boston. George this forenoon helped Mr. Beeman put weather strips on his door. John Loricko called this PM for a calendar for himself and Mrs. Mary C. Spencer. William Hickok arranged and paid for furniture insurance this PM. I stayed in the office all the PM until 4 o’clock when I went to market for oysters for our Sunday breakfast. JANUARY 08 SUNDAY – Mercury at 7 AM – 25. Clear and colder. The melting snow of yesterday had now turned to ice with sufficient to hold the sleighing if renewed in a few days by a couple of inches of new snow. We had stewed oysters for breakfast. Silvio Cresci sent his boy over this morning to pay his January rent. I mailed a calendar to W. S. White at Great Plain. I also mailed Rufus Rice’s pension certificate to his son Harry for use with Captain Quien who is getting a widow’s pension for his mother. Before doing by barn work about 5 PM, I went over to see how Clark Hickok is doing. He had an uncomfortable night last night and a more comfortable day today by sleeping most of the time. His life apparently is fast ebbing away. In the evening, we attended the Baptist church to hear the evangelist F. Shepardson; we liked him. JANUARY 09 MONDAY - Mercury at 6 AM - 18. A pleasant morning. Received by the morning mail a package of pension blanks from J. H. Soule, publishers of same as per order of January 3. Mr. Beeker made us a call in the PM. I drove up to Millard’s shop to notify Mike Regan that his mother was rejected for insurance by the Equitable Life Insurance Company on account of family history. I delivered a policy to Lottie Carol and collected $2.00 of Frank Verra. I then looked at a storage building on the McArdle place 51-53 Main Street in reference to anticipated storage of furniture for Arthur Stowe. In the PM, I delivered and collected a policy to Mrs. Mary Spencer and started to drive to Stony Hill to arrange for the renewal of Mr. Vail, but finding so much bare ground in making Beaverbrook, that I found it not advisable to attempt going in a sleigh and returned. JANUARY 10 TUESDAY – Mercury at 6 AM – 28. About a half inch of snow fell last night. Received by the morning mail a draft for $15.00 from the Sun to pay the loss of George Bard. I drove over to John Vail’s in the AM to arrange for the renewal of his insurance on the 13th instant and returned at noon. On my way over, I gave S. W. Bradley the bags he brought potatoes in to Harry Biddescombe. On my way home, I saw Mortimer Rundle on Elm Street and told him that I had got through fooling with Herbert Wildman about the $100 premium on their policy and should make somebody trouble. After dinner, I mailed a legal 5-days’ notice to Rundle & White and registered the letter. Before going to Stony Hill this morning, Arthur Stowe came in and signed a return premium receipt for cancellation of Reliance policy No. 129762 that we may rewrite a policy covering his furniture store in another location. About 4 PM, I called on Mrs. Regan on Foster Street to see if she could give me more information on her parents, the lack of which rejects her for insurance in the Equitable. Not being at home, I made the trip for nothing. Old Mr. William Lyon died today in Orchard Street at his daughter’s. JANUARY 11 WEDNESDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 20. A mixed and partially cloudy day but no storm. I went up to Mallory’s shop in the morning and arranged for the renewal of Charles Pierce’s furniture policy. After dinner, I mailed a letter to the Sun regarding the cancellation of the Rundle & White policy on account of non –payment of premium to me by Herbert Wildman. I bought meat at Joe Knowlton’s and sent it home .I took the receipt from the postal card from Rundle & White’s cancellation of Herbert Wildman’s broker policy. I called at Daragan’s shoe store for shoes for Mrs. Dean. I then called on Ann Regan at 5 Foster Street to find out if I could more about her family history, ages of her father and mother at death, etc. in the matter of life insurance. I sent a pension certificate by young Mrs. Griffith to Melissa Griffith. While we were at supper, Fred Vail called and arranged for the renewal of their policy in the Connecticut Fire Insurance Company on the 13th instant. After supper, I went over to brother George’s and carried a calendar for him to give to L. Robinson, a shop mate of his and a customer of ours. I brought home a pincushion Sarah has been making for me. On my return, I found the house locked, Mary and Mrs. Hawley having gone to the Baptist church to hear “The Rocking Chair Evangelist.” I called for a short time on our neighbor, Mr. Rogers. JANUARY 12 THURSDAY – Mercury at 6 AM – 32. Rain. I spent the forenoon in the office. I looked up the State Mutual Life Insurance of Mass. to make comparisons with the Equitable for use with George in George Bedient’s case who is contemplating life insurance and is considering the State Mutual with Hodge. William Harris from Miry Brook called about 3 PM for me to go out there tomorrow morning and insure his property, formerly the George Allen place. About 4 PM, I went downtown and came home by way of Stevens Street and delivered a policy to Jennie Bratton, endorsed transfer and then delivered the policy to Thomas Ferry on Cherry Street and returned to James Newton his policy with loss endorsed therein. I then called on V. V. Morrell who is sick with La Grippe. After supper, I took a car over to Sarah Austin’s on White Street to get her policy for cancellation and rewriting at minimum rates. On my return, I went over to brother George’s for coffee which arrived from New York on Friday. Old Mr. William Lyon’s funeral was attended this evening at his daughter’s on Orchard Street. His remains will be taken to Southport tomorrow for burial. JANUARY 13 FRIDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 28. Pleasant and growing colder. Received by the morning mail a check for $5.58 from the Commercial Union for payment to John Greeley for loss under his Greenwich policy which occurred on December 26. Also a letter from the Sun Insurance office justifying our action in the Rundle & White cancellation matter vs. Herbert Wildman and referring the matter to Special Agent Hatch to instruct in the matter. About 10 AM, Mr. Beeman went with me over to Miry Brook to take insurance from Mr. Harris on his property. From there, we came home by way of Dewey’s Inn and returned to Mrs. Ada Bradley her policy with endorsement of loss on same. After dinner, I went over to Sarah Austin’s at 234 White Street to get her release of old policy prior to writing a new one on the same property but did not find her at home. On my return, I called at the Express Office for the Pig Model for brother George which came to him with no card explain who it was from or what it was for, on which account, thinking mistake had been made he returned it, but since receiving a letter explaining and as designating him as being the proper recipient. On my way downtown, I met Emil Popke and took an order for $1,000 furniture insurance at 55 Jefferson Avenue. The stamp clerk returned the D. R. of John Vail for correction on the rate for tobacco. I think we is wrong and we are correct in this matter. I tried this PM to see him and adjust it but could not find him. In the evening, I went over to White Street again to have Sarah Austin sign a return rate premium for cancellation of insurance, which she did and before retiring, I mailed it to the company. John Greeley came in the evening and signed a receipt for a draft for $5.50 for a loss at Christmas time. He did so and I cashed the draft. I retired at 10:30. JANUARY 14 SATURDAY – Mercury at 6 AM – 16. Pleasant. A break in the water main in the street near my driveway which they commenced to repair this morning and shut the water off in consequence. An overlooked October accident account with Loomis & Nettleton, I made out this morning and enclosed a check. I made a bank deposit. Mrs. Mary Osterhaut called just at dinner time and paid for furniture insurance. Charles Bevans called in the PM and wanted to borrow $2.00; I did not lend. Mrs. Hawley rode with me downtown about 4 PM to do our Sunday marketing. Mrs. Jennie Townsend called in the evening and paid her insurance. George and Sarah came over in the evening and George and I called on Mrs. Gross to have her read the German instructions on how to make a hedgehog from a clay pig sent to him from New York. I called to see Mr. Hickok in the evening. He is dying; every hour may be his last. Mina Dean called in the evening. A. H. Hawes called in the PM and we settled about the rate on the tobacco in John Vail’s dwelling, wood house and wagon house. I endorsed the loss on the Greely policy. JANUARY 15 SUNDAY – Mercury at 7 AM – 8. Pleasant and cold. Mr. Hickok died this morning at 7:20. Mary attended church this morning. Lottie and Julia Hirsh came from Sunday School and took dinner with us. After dinner, I went up to Dr. Sunderland’s and he examined the pocket, i.e., the opening which never fully closed in my scrotum where he made an operation about two years ago. There being nothing serious about it and no trouble, not even any inconvenience, he says to leave it alone; it will do no harm. The children returned home by trolley at 4:30 PM. While at Dr. Sunderland’s he paid me $4.20 for coffee which George Purdy ordered for him for New York. We called a few minutes over to Mr. Hickok’s about 4 PM, his father now a corpse in the house. I then went down to Dr. Clark’s and left Ann Regan’s application with the doctor’s examination (a copy) for him to go over again and write to the Equitable life Insurance Company, explaining further in the case. As it stands now, it is not satisfactory to the Company. In the evening, we went over to brother George’s and spent the evening and gave him the $4.20 from Dr. Sunderland for coffee. JANUARY 16 MONDAY – Mercury at 6 AM - 18. Pleasant. We wrote up Rebecca Warner; also one for George Stevens & Son on John Green and delivered both; also one to James Doran. After dinner, I went downtown and had my hair cut by Silvsestri and called on Fred Seymour to collect on account of his furniture policy but did not succeed; collected $2.00 from Frank Verra. Mary went out this PM for a call on Aunt Sarah Boughton. The 5 days legal notice of the cancellation of the Rundle & White policy expires today of which we have heard nothing. George Purdy came over with his clay pig to exhibit it to Mrs. Gross who last Saturday evening translated the German instruction on how to make a hedgehog of it. He also brought me a check for $16.00 to the Larkin Soap Company for Emmaline Glaus’ soap order. I today got the last three bottles of liprizene to make a half dozen for $5.00 of James Doran on account of his store insurance on furniture and fixtures. JANUARY 17 TUESDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 22. Pleasant. After George arrived from Bethel, I drove down to Dr. Clark’s to see about a letter he was to write to the Equitable in the Ann Regan case, but found that he was away from home. I then drove up to Hoyt Street and delivered a policy to Charles Pierce and collected the premium. I also delivered one to Flint & Smith and left Adelia Dean’s policy at the Union Savings Bank. I got a calendar of E. E. Hamilton for Mrs. Hawley. I came home, put up the horse and then went downtown to do some marketing. After dinner, I went over and reviewed the insurance of Clark Hickok. His funeral was attended at 2: 30 PM at which I was a pall bearer. After supper, I went up to Dr. Sunderland’s with a calendar and delivered his quarterly renewal for standard accident policy for $5,000 due tomorrow, after which I took the trolley over to Samuel Hayes on Meadow Street and arranged renewal of his house insurance and arranged for an increase from $1,800 to $2,500 on same and gave him a calendar. I met J. Holton on the car. He has given up his hat store in Bridgeport and returned to Danbury and is working at hatting again, now at Mallory’s. On the way over to Mr. Hagen’s I met Herman with Lottie and Georgie. I gave an old pension certificate of Sarah Cromwell to William Knowlton. JANUARY 18 WEDNESDAY – Mercury at 6AM – 20. Pleasant. In the forenoon, I delivered policies and arranged some renewals. After dinner, Fannie called and she rode with me up to Millard’s store to see Mike Regan. She then took a car to do some trading. I gave Mrs. Hawley a pitcher of cider for mince pies. I wrote to George VanFleet at New Haven for some medical examination blanks for the Equitable and mailed it in the evening. I then went up to Dr. Sunderland’s with Mary, but he was not at home, being out for the evening if not for the night attending the doctor’s banquet at the Turner House. JANUARY 19 THURSDAY – Mercury at 6 AM – 32.Pleasant in the morning, but some indications of a coming storm. George brought in the Sarah Austin Connecticut policy cancelled and rewrote on the 13th instant at minimum rates for 3years which policy we today mailed to her. In the PM, I received (after mailing the policy to Mrs. Austin) a note from her to write the same for one year only. Before dinner, I rode over to E. S. Fairchild’s to ascertain about the mortgagee in the Hambridge policy. After dinner, Josiah Day called to make an application for an increase in pension under the old age order. I wrote to Special Agent Hatch of the Sun for further instructions in the Wildman and Rundle & White matter. Just before supper, I went up to Mrs. Mary Maybie’s to deliver a $2,500 policy in the Agricultural Insurance Company. James Patilla called in the evening to have his furniture policy transferred from the Bates place to his own dwelling on 246 White Street. Mary this evening attended our special revival services at the church. Office work prevented me from attending. JANUARY 20 FRIDAY – Mercury at 6 AM – 34. Pleasant. I rose early and met Josiah Day at the Post office about 9 AM for his signature on an application for an increase in pension on account of old age erroneously signed last evening. He did so in the presence of George as notary. I called on Stamp Clerk Hawes regarding furniture insurance for Mrs. Turner at Plum Trees in a frame dwelling. I then rode up to Morelock & Rusk and got a check. On my return, I stopped at Rundle & White’s to talk over the Herbert Wildman insurance matter. Not being in their office, I met George Rundle as I was going away and had a talk with him. In the PM, I delivered a policy to George Andrews on his store and he paid one dollar on account. Just before supper, I delivered a policy to Francis Benedict and collected the premium. I mailed the application of Josiah Day for an increase in pension on account of old age to the commissioner of pensions. The son of Fred Vail called this evening for their fire insurance policy in the Connecticut Fire Insurance Company. JANUARY 21 SATURDAY – Mercury at 6 AM – 2. Fairly pleasant in the morning. It gradually became cloudy and after dinner, began to snow. As soon as George came from Bethel, I drove over to Mrs. Sarah Austin’s on White Street, but had to go to the Danbury Hat Factory to see her about changing her policy recently written for three years to a one year policy. From there, I came home by way of Liberty Street and collected premium from Adelia Dean for store and dwelling insurance policy, then did some marketing and came home. I found the son of L. Foster Lyon at the office talking life insurance with George. I made up a deposit and went to the bank with it before dinner. Mrs. Dwight Camp called with Mr. Camp’s tobacco policy for cancellation, he having sold the tobacco. About tea time, Arthur Booth called for his furniture policy and paid for same. Saul Hager called and paid for his policy which we left at the Danbury Savings Bank today. Also Augusta Popke sent a $3.00 balance on her policy due on her insurance since last September. Old Mrs. Depew, mother- in-law of Hart Purdy, died this morning. JANUARY 22 SUNDAY – Mercury at 7 AM – 30. It snowed moderately during last night and continued gently until noon. The sun came out in the afternoon. I went to the Post Office at noon, got the Sunday Press and then called on cousin Hart Purdy, where the remains of his mother-in-law, Mrs. Jane Depew lie. On my way home, I met Carroll Rider. He has a similar case with Frank Benedict as I have with Herbert Wildman on a broker policy with Rundle & White. We, of course, could confer and sympathize. The weather is mild and if it continues with sunshine tomorrow, the 4 inches of snow we have will disappear. In the evening, I wrote a letter for Mary to Clara Watkins. JANUARY 23 MONDAY – Mercury at 6 AM – 7. Clear and cold with a prospect of a few day’s sleighing from the 4 inches of snow and the cold to hold it. I hitched the sleigh and drove to Dr. Clark’s about 9 AM to get his letter to Dr. Curtis (head medical man of the Equitable) regarding the Ann Regan rejected case. He promised to write it for me today. I the collected $5.00 on account from Fred Seymour; also $4.50 from William Repola as per agreement. I drove up to 15 Summit Street to see about the renewal of W. Warden, but found that he had gone up to Great Plain. On my return, I took in Mr. J. S. McCullum’s daughter, Edith and gave her a sleigh ride to her dinner on 21 Pleasant Street. I attended the funeral of Mrs. Jane Depew at cousin Hart Purdy’s. Frank Loper called in the PM to see what it would cost to insure household furniture. He wanted a calendar, but we had none left. JANUARY 24 TUESDAY – Mercury at 6 AM – 9. Pleasant but cool. George brought from Bethel this morning a case to write for Louise Turner, grass widow (Ed. Note – A woman who is divorced or separated from her husband or an abandoned mistress) of Irving Turner, $500 on her furniture in the house of George Lawlor in the Plum Trees district. Received from the Commercial Union Greenwich policy, the Pitella endorsed policy. Great excitement and many lives lost shot down by soldiers at St. Petersburg, riots and great bloodshed and promises to be the commencement of a Russian Revolution. In the morning, I went over to Rundle & White’s factory and talked over the insurance policy of $5,000 I wrote on the 26th of last May for Herbert Wildman. I made a compromise proposition to them and am to see them tomorrow morning for their reply. Just before dinner, Mr. Beeman rode with me, first to Clarence Morgan’s for him to order some coal, and the with me to Great Plain to see Mr. William Warden about renewing his furniture policy. He has no occasion as he has broken up housekeeping. As I went, I saw George Morgan about the renewal of his policy. After dinner, I went over to John Parslow’s and collected $16.80 for insurance on two dwellings, no. 5 and 7 Williams Street. It has snowed moderately and in a squally way since the middle of the forenoon. I remained in the office for the remainder of the day. JANUARY 25 WEDNESDAY – Mercury at 6 AM – 14. Snow and wind last night, giving us a blizzard this morning. George arrived from Bethel about 8:30. I went over to Rundle & White’s about 10 o’clock and arranged the Herbert Wildman insurance matter by cancelling the present policy at 8 months and rewriting the $5,000 direct from Rundle & White. A continuing blizzard all day with about 18 inches of snow up to 5 PM. I stayed in the office in the PM. I substituted cut paper No. 34 in the office door until a painter can put them in properly. I also busied myself changing No. 18 to No. 34 on envelopes. JANUARY 26 THURSDAY – Mercury at 6 AM – zero. Clear and very cold. Everything buried in snow. The drifts are waist deep in some places. It is difficult to find an even place to measure as to depth, but there must be about 1 ½ feet of snow on a level. I shoved the snow path except for the front walk which George completed when he arrived about 10 o’clock from Bethel. Just before dinner, I went over to the Rundle & White factory and delivered the $5,000 policy as per agreement and took up and cancelled the one which had been in force for 8 months. The same being in adjusting the Herbert Wildman broker policy which he appropriated the premium of $100 much to the discomfort of Rundle & White and myself. The James Shelby piano policy came to me this PM to increase the same from $250 to $325 which I did as requested and mailed the policy with a bill to Mr. Shelby at New Milford. I gave the same to Postman Phil Owen to be mailed about 4 PM. About 5 PM, I took a trolley car to go over to 234 White Street to see Mrs. Sarah Austin about making the policy written on the 13th instant a one year or longer term. She decided to have it for one year. I took it away with me to make it as directed. I returned home about 6:30. On my way, I met Howard Betts and arranged for the renewal of his policy tomorrow. JANUARY 27 FRIDAY – Mercury at 6 AM – 8. We finished the snow shoveling were unable to do yesterday. I wrote to Judge William Conley, attorney for Mrs. Austin, also for Alice Jennings, mortgagor for Mrs. Austin for her signature with that of Mrs. Austin in release of the cancelled policy. I also wrote the Connecticut Fire Insurance Company explaining and endorsing the cancelled policy and with the same sent a check for $66.00 for the November balance. After dinner, I went over to Mrs. Eugene Selleck’s to ascertain if possible about Rollo Goodell as to his whereabouts, the situation of his farm property which he has apparently abandoned, etc. Mary went over to brother George in the PM. Fanny and little Julia called for a few minutes early in the evening, after which about 7 PM, I went up to Dr. Sunderland’s with Mary. On the way, I mailed a letter to the Flint Building Company of Providence, R. I. about the Rollo Goodell mortgage. On her way home from work tonight, Mrs. Virginia McKnight called for two Metropolitan Life Insurance Company calendars which I promised her. JANUARY 28 SATURDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 28. Just a little flurry of snow last night but the moon shone bright early this morning. I wrote Herbert Wildman this morning notifying him that we had cancelled the Rundle & White policy in self-defense, them and us assuming the loss until at such time he returns the $100 premium to them. About 10:30, I went over to the D. G. Renfield Company and delivered policy of $3,000. On the way, I stopped at Rundle & White’s and told them that I had notified Herbert Wildman that their policy had been cancelled and that the return of the $100 premium to Rundle & White was in order. I got the New York Press, made some purchases at the Village Store, ordered oats and bran of C. W. Keeler and came home. George brought us a chicken from Mrs. Becker at $.18/lb. The oats and bran order came in in part about 5 PM – 100 lbs. Of bran but only one bag of the four ordered of oats. JANUARY 29 SUNDAY A clear cold morning; mercury at noon about 24. I went to the Post Office and for my paper at noon. After dinner, I went down to Dr. Clark’s for the explanatory letter to Dt. Curtis at the Equitable office concerning the Ann Regan life insurance application. I caught him and obtained the letter. After which, I mailed the endorsement of transfer of Jane Depew’s transfer of policy to the Agricultural Insurance Company. I attended church in the evening with Mary to hear the revivalist Henry Delany. JANUARY 30 MONDAY – Mercury at 6 AM – 14. Hazy in the morning with the appearance of snow. Before Dinner, George went with me driving for the collection, etc. of Lottie Cowl, Frank Verra and Wallace Williams. We also drove up to Elroy E. Boudry’s at 40 Westville Avenue to see about the renewal of furniture insurance in the Danbury Mutual Company; we find that it expires on February 20. Sarah Keeler called at noon and I paid six months’ interest from last May to November 1904 on my $100 note ($2.50). I this morning mailed Dr. Clark’s letter (in the Ann Regan case) to George VanFleet to forward to Dr. Curtis to whom it is addressed. Just at night, I went over to Mrs. Keeler’s on 39 Stevens Street and endorsed the interest paid to November 1904 and came home by way of Main Street. The afternoon has been pleasant. Mrs. Tosi came in about 76 PM and paid their February rent. JANUARY 31 TUESDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 14 below. The coldest morning thus far this winter. Wrote a policy this morning for N. T. Buckley on the C. H. Merritt shop in the name of North American Hat Company in the amount of $5,000 in the Sun. Also on the estate of Margaret Sprague on a barn on the Agricultural Insurance Company and left the same at the Danbury Savings Bank, both being for February 1st. We also ordered supplies of the Reliance. Mrs. Branch came in after dinner and paid the rent. About 3 PM, I went downtown for some errands and got a rate on Stevens’ market, 1.7% to insure Michael Darak who keeps meat in ½ of the store. I bought a piece of pork for George S. at the Village Store and left it at his house on my way home. I also engaged ½ ton of hay at A. H. Barnum’s to be bought tomorrow. At his place, I telephoned to C. L. Morgan to bring me furnace coal tomorrow. Mrs. Hawley called a few minutes in the evening. Also Mr. J. Herbert Holton called for one of our agent calendars, but I had not one left.






Purdy, Horace, 1835-1909. “Horace Purdy Journal January 1905 Entry.” Horace Purdy Journals, MS 044. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 22 Jan. 2020.

Document Viewer


Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.