Horace Purdy Journal October 1904 Entry

Dublin Core


8 pgs


OCTOBER 01 SATURDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 50. Picked the last of the tomatoes and mowed the front yard. Mr. and Mrs. Charles Betts called in the AM and arranged to rent Mr. Pierans’ corner house, first floor. I drove over to Rose Street to get the key from Mrs. O’Conner, the former tenant. Soon after we engaged the house to Mr. Betts, a Mr. E. G. Horton wanted it and offered to pay the rent in advance. In the PM, Mrs. Hawley and I rode downtown and did our marketing for Sunday. Mr. Betts commenced moving in in the afternoon. George Walter came in accordance with a promise in the evening and paid $10.00 on account of his life insurance. As requested by Frederick W. Seymour, I called at his house at 17 Elm Street to receive money on account of his furniture insurance which he promised for tonight, but he had gone out. George and Sarah called in the evening. OCTOBER 02 SUNDAY - Mercury at 7 AM – 52. Cloudy and cool, but no rain. Lottie came after Sunday School and took dinner with us returning home on her father’s trolley car at 4:40 PM. I mailed Agent Policy #7272, Elizabeth Burnett to Bristol for her to execute the assignment blank making the property over to Theodore Scofield to whom she sold. I also wrote to John Parker about his new location at Torrington as to the transfer of his insurance. In the evening, we went over to brother George’s and from there to church. OCTOBER 03 MONDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 38. Pleasant. Mowed upper half of front yard after breakfast. S. W. Bradley brought potatoes this morning for Beeman, Biddescombe and me. George went to Stevens Street with Biddescombe potatoes with Bradley. The Larkin Soap with oil heater and costumer I got today, but the heater was not the one we ordered; they sent another kind. We borrowed one of Serena Lyon until we can get an exchange with the Larkin Soap Company. Herman sent a man in the evening to borrow the pistol which he found and left with me. In the evening I went up to the Ferdinand Brush Place to the Schoonmaker’s to acknowledge some deals, but they deferred it to another day. OCTOBER 04 TUESDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 32. A light frost this morning. A magnificent day for the commencement of the Fair. George and I finished mowing the dooryard this morning. Also put the new number – 35- on the front of the house. We received from the Connecticut Fire Insurance Company this morning, two pocket books as a present to each of us. After dinner, I made up and mailed the September account to the Connecticut Fire Insurance Company. Then I took Mary to deliver soap orders to Glover, Biddescombe and George S. Purdy, also to make some business calls on Theodore Scofield, Harry Gray, Frank Power and Anna Hinman. I also called at Henry Gray’s over John Griffith’s store to get his policy to transfer and rewriting at the new location under annual premiums. I bought a loaf of homemade bread of Mrs. Gray. OCTOBER 05 WEDNESDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 42. Another pleasant day for the Fair. After getting up some office work in the morning, Mr. Beeman rode with me to see Theodore Scofield and read to him a letter to Mrs. Elizabeth Burnett regarding payment to her of the cash value of insurance for expiration of the policy on the property sold by her to Scofield. He wished me to also show the letter to Dwight Rogers, the agent who negotiated the sale. Not being in his office, but expecting to be employed at the fair, we drove over there, but did not succeed in finding him. I got the consent of Mrs. John Gallagher to write the renewal of her furniture policy in the name of her sister, Fannie O’Toole and did so, the mailed the policy to her. By this morning’s mail, I received a new pension certificate for David Hoyt, being an increase on account of age from $6.00 to $8.00 a month. The Union Savings Bank paid the premium for insurance for Valentine Patch on the dwelling at 81 George Street. About 4 PM, I delivered the policy to Harry Gray over John Griffith’s store. On may return, I found William Mead waiting to pay his life insurance premium due on the 10th instant, after which I carried him home to 17 Town Hill Avenue. George and Sarah came over in the evening. After they went home I went over to Louis Tosi’s to deliver a soap order. While we were there, we also called on Mrs. Clark upstairs. OCTOBER 06 THURSDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 51. A small splatter of rain during last night. Cloudy and windy and doubtful during the AM. The sun came out bright at noon and continued pleasant during the balance of the day. I walked downtown in the forenoon. I met Maud Luck, who was more than sociable and would like to live in a house as nice as when she lived with us seven years ago. I called on Sam Newman for the balance due us. He gave a promise for next Monday. Also for next Monday, Jacob Hartz for the premium on the Spiro Brothers policy. After dinner, I went up to Dr. Sunderland’s with a specimen of urine for Mary; he pronounced it OK. He gave me some tablets for my own use and paid 35 cents for soap in a Larkin order and also ordered 10 lbs. of coffee for George to send for. Later in the PM, I harnessed and Mary went with me to arrange renewals for James Fitzsimmons, Kate Lynch and Emma Shepard. Then we went down to Fannie’s and she made arrangements for Lottie, Georgie to come and stay with us tomorrow that she may attend the Fair. George and Sarah came over to spend the evening. OCTOBER 07 FRIDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 30. This is Danbury Day for the Danbury Fair. Factories and businesses are suspended to enable all to attend the great carnival. After breakfast, I drove over to Clarence Morgan to see where the fire was last evening. It was a small scare in one of the hat factories near Austin Street. I bought two porterhouse steaks of Morgan, the drove over to Rose Street to see Mrs. Bridget O’Conner about the rent for September at her Pierans house where she moved from. She refused to pay anything at all on account of him warning her out. Fannie took little Julia with her to the Fair and had Lottie with baby Georgie stay with us. Just before dinner, I went up to 5 Deer Hill avenue to consult Mrs. Mary Stevens regarding the sale of 11 Pearl Street to Theodore Scofield, as to any return premium to W. Burnett or his wife, Elizabeth Burnett, on the policy made over. On my return, the fire engine, etc. was called under alarm box 31 on West Wooster and Division Streets. Some burning leaves near Mr. Treadwell’s barn was the cause. No damage done. W. Burnett’s letter this morning calling my letter an insult to him and his wife for stating the plain fact regarding the insurance, etc. and the return premium demanded by him. I made a check for John Pieran’s for September rent collections; also made a check and mailed to the Agricultural Insurance Company for the July balance. George M. Bradley brought ¼ cord of wood sawed short on account of insurance. OCTOBER 08 SATURDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 30. The last day of the Danbury Fair. The day has been cold and cloudy but no rain. I am still alone since Wednesday; George is attending the Fair. I gave Stephen Pierans a check for $40.92 for the September rents. Charles Hawley from New Milford called for his furniture policy and paid it. Mary and Mrs. Hawley went shopping this afternoon. Mrs. Lena Knapp of Bridgeport called about 5:30 PM to see about the mortgage. George and Sarah came over in the evening. OCTOBER 09 SUNDAY - Mercury at 67 AM- 54. Lowery, but no rain. After breakfast, I cleaned my furnace preparatory to making fires. Went to the Post Office at noon and for the Sunday Press. Lottie Hirsch came from Sunday School and took dinner with us. In the PM, I mailed our September account to the Sun Insurance Company and enclosed the check for the July balance. I also wrote the Larkin Soap Company exonerating Mary for the funny wording of my letters of the 3rd and 5th instant regarding the oil heart. We attended church in the evening. Mrs. Hawley went with us. OCTOBER 10 MONDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 52. George reported this morning for duty, having been absent since last Wednesday attending the Fair. A reply by this morning’s mail from the Larkin Soap Company to Mary in the matter of the oil heater. The explanation is satisfactory and George this morning set it up and filled it ready for use. I bought a bottle of ink of Harry Bristol. David Hoyt came at noon and made a voucher for the difference in old certificate of $6.00 per month and the new one of $8.00 up to September 4, the new one being issued for an increase for 65 years of age. George Walsh, an old soldier and inmate at the Soldiers’ Home in Noroton called in the afternoon to make an application for an increase for disability. I not having the proper blanks referred him to Captain Quien. Our coffee with that of Dr. Sunderland’s came today. George came in the evening for my check to send to Mrs. Kimball for coffee. I went up to Dr. Sunderland’s and collected for his 10 lbs. before making the check for George. Mr. W. S. Lane today requested to have his life policy made semi-annual instead of annual. I spoke to George Rickerts to keep his chickens home as they annoy me by leveling my manure heap and covering horse bedding spread out to dry. OCTOBER 11 TUESDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 62. Warm with sprinkling showers in the morning and during last night. After breakfast, I made up the September balance of the Agricultural Insurance Company and mailed it with a check for the July balance. The express man brought a package of supplies, chiefly policies from the Reliance. Before dinner, I went downtown and collected $10.00 of Jacob Hartz on the Spiro brothers’ policy, also $2.00 of Saul Newman. Going into the Post Office, I saw H. A. Wildman talking with a party. After attending to my mail matter, I looked for him but he had disappeared. I talked with Dwight Rogers about the insurance being turned over from William Burnett to Theodore Scofield on the Pearl Street house. He understood that the same was to be turned as part of the deal. After dinner, Mr. Leonard Carney from Patterson called to see about the property of Frances Perry at Beaverbrook being reoccupied, etc. as he has a mortgage on the same. John Case came in the PM and ordered a policy of $1,000 on his house and furniture in the Connecticut Insurance Company. He leaves the Danbury Mutual Company. I drove up home with him to take a diagram. He paid the premium of $10.00. On my return, I drove up to Anna Tinman and delivered her policy, then up to James Fitzsimmons on Deer Hill with his policy. OCTOBER 12 WEDNESDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 42. A cold rain which has continued all day. We wrote and delivered to W. W. Sunderland, builder, a two month’s $1,000 additional builder’s risk policy on the Lucy Haines’s house. I mailed an order for supplies to The Connecticut Fire Insurance Company at Harford. In the PM, Mrs. Kate Lynch called and paid a premium for insurance on her Deer Hill Avenue house. I left the policy at the Union Savings Bank a little later in the afternoon. I then called on Orlando Williams at Hadley’s Hat Shop to see if he had decided to accept the policy I wrote for him He has not yet decided. His son, Wallace M. Williams gave me an order for $500 insurance on his furniture before I left the shop. From there, I called on Marion St. John and arranged for the renewal of her Grandview Avenue double house. The on Franklin Street, I also arranged to renew for Widow Iola B. Richardson. I called a few minutes on Benjamin Bailey at the Rose Street city weigher’s office and then came home. In the evening, I made up the Standard Accident September account to Loomis & Nettleton. Mrs. Sarah Whalley came in the morning to have her furniture policy transferred to her house on 16 Division Street. OCTOBER 13 THURSDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 40. Cloudy, cold and damp in the morning. I received from Boston U. S. Pension Agent a check for the $2.00 fee for the D. B. Hoyt pension increase for age 65. About 9:30 AM, I went to the courthouse and called on Judge Ralph Wheeler for his certificate showing me to be of good moral character, etc. for me to act as pension attorney for the Pension Bureau in Washington. He left it with me to have Clerk Frank Booth prepare the certificate for his signature tomorrow morning. In the PM, I drove down to Dr. Oley’s with Mary to consult about her eyes, after which we drove up to Padanarum and delivered a policy to John Cove. I then called on Mrs. Annie McDonough’s at Grandview Avenue to collect but got nothing, then called at the Scofield’s shop on River Street to see if my furnace pipe was repaired which I left there this morning as I went to Marion St. John’s to deliver her policy. From there, I went to the Post Office and village store and home. While we were riding, the clouds disappeared and we have a clear sky and cooler. George and Sarah were over in the evening. In the evening, I answered letters of Davis Knapp as to his share of the premium due on the insurance of estate of Silas Abbott. A. H. Barnum delivered a ½ ton of baled hay this AM. OCTOBER 14 FRIDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 36. This morning before breakfast, I mailed the Estate of Silas Abbott policy to Davis Knapp, executor. The same should have been enclosed last evening with the letter. Theodore Scofield this morning handed in the W. Burnett policy (i.e., Elizabeth Burnett, his wife) duly assigned to him after refusing to sign and deliver to me. About 9:30 AM, after having D. Wilson typewrite my application for pension attorney to the Pension Department at Washington with the accompanying certificate of Judge Ralph Wheeler, I called on the judge at the courthouse for his signature which he kindly gave to me. I left it with Clark Booth to affix the seal of the Superior Court which I obtained in the PM. Sam Hoyt and Mrs. Clark of Ridgefield called at noon and had dinner with us. In the afternoon, I called at Clark Booth’s for the certificate of Judge Wheeler’s, then walked up to D. Lowe’s shop to see Mrs. Dittus about renewal of her insurance. I found that she had left and was now working for Jake Irving in his silk mill. From there, I called on Majik Garlick on Henry Street to collect for his insurance. They had broken up housekeeping. I am to call tomorrow and if possible take up the policy. I then called on Edward Hendley and came home and returned the oil heater to Serena Lyons by driving up there and to Scofield’s Tin shop on River Street and got my furnace pipe which he has been repairing. In the evening, I wrote and mailed to Edward Dawson, Chief Clerk of the Department of the Interior, my certificate from Ralph Wheeler, Judge of the Superior Court, as to my good moral character, etc. OCTOBER 15 SATURDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 38. Clear and Cool. Before breakfast, I attempted to adjust the pipe on the furnace and found that it required further repairs before I could do so. After taking it to the shop again, I drove up to Henry Street to see if Majik Garlick had found his policy which he wants to surrender. He signed a lost policy receipt in the event he could not find it. I had the horse shod at D. Gages’ before dinner. After dinner, I adjusted the furnace pipe to be ready to be heated up. The later in the PM, Mrs. Hawley went with me to do some marketing and I delivered the Burnett-Scofield policy to the mortgagee, Mrs. Mary Stevens. George and Sarah came over in the evening. OCTOBER 16 SUNDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 31. A magnificent day. Mary attended church in the morning to hear the presiding elder preach. Lottie came from Sunday School and took dinner with us. We went over to brother George’s about 6 PM and attended church in the evening before which we called at Dr. Oley’s that Mary might consult him about her eyes and make arrangements for going to the hospital in New York, and possibly Dr. Oley to go with her. OCTOBER 17 MONDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 30. Another beautiful day. After breakfast, Mr. Beeman rode with me up to Henry Street to get and cancel the policy of Majik Garlick. After dinner, we drove over to Beaverbrook and by a half dozen eggs and cash, I cleared for six months ended October 1st. up the balance of George Bradley’s premium. Mr. Pierans was over today and we made some arrangements about renting the house visited today by Mr. Scheppaccasse (?). I made a check today for $7.00 for rent of church seat, $117. In the evening, I went up to 2nd Avenue and arranged for the renewal of John Murphy’s insurance. Mrs. Payne called in the evening and paid for insurance to be renewed on their Mill Plain house. George and Sarah came over in the evening. Mary arranged this afternoon for Dr. Oley to go with her to New York at the hospital for treatment of her eyes. I, with Mr. Beeman, also in the PM, drove up to Franklin Street on returning from Beaverbrook to deliver a policy to Mrs. Richardson, but found that George had omitted to attach a permit for a kerosene stove; on that account, I did not leave it. After supper, I took the trolley up to 2nd Avenue and arranged the renewal of the furniture policy of John Murphy. OCTOBER 18 TUESDAY - Mercury at 6 AM- 36. Another pleasant day. Mary, in company with Dr. Oley took the 10:09 AM to New York to go to the 23rd Street Homeopathic Eye Hospital for treatment of her eyes. I carried her to the train and brought home the second Larkin container from the freight yard. The freight on same was 44 cents. George and I got our dinner of baloney sausage sandwiches and coffee. Mary returned by the 5:08 PM train with Dr. Oley from New York. In the evening, I wrote to the Larkin Soap Company enclosing freight bills that they might send a rebate on same as requested by themselves. As I went to the station to meet Mary, I carried nearly a bushel of our potatoes over to George Starr Purdy. OCTOBER 19 WEDNESDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 40. After George arrived from Bethel, Mr. Beeman and I rode to the Danbury Hat Company where I gave to Mr. F. Wilson, the financial secretary of the M. E. Church, a check for $7.00, the seat rent to October 1. I then went to 12 Cook Street to see Mr. Dignan about insuring his furniture. He is to see me again, probably next Saturday. Another delightful day. I delivered a policy on tools to Charles Fowler at the New Machine Company. I wrote another letter in lieu of one written last night, and not sent to the Larkin Soap Company; also to W. B. Schiffer in the matter of the extension of Frank Moody’s life insurance. In the PM, Mary went down to Dt. Oley’s for eye treatment in connection with their visit yesterday to the hospital in New York. George and Sarah came over in the evening. I went up to Dr. Sunderland’s while they were Mary and had a specimen of my water examined which was all right. I delivered his October 18 quarterly policy and returned home. George took the Larkin container home which came to Mary and she sold to them. OCTOBER 20 THURSDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 54. Foggy. After breakfast, I wrote for Mary to Clara Watkins. When George arrived from Bethel, we fixed up the lattice work under the front porch of our office. Then we went over to Mrs. Hawley’s and castrated a cat. Before dinner, I walked downtown and called at the Turner Machine Company and arranged for the renewal of machine tools of William Reed. He wanted figures for accident and sickness insurance. On my return, I found F. F. McFarland talking with George about insuring some property on the Elmswood District in Bethel. We made arrangements to do so. After dinner, I drove down through Putnam Park to Redding Ridge to fix up the David Dignan insurance matter. He was not at home, therefore, I did not succeed. I came home by way of Daniel Woods and collected from him $46.55 for insurance on his homestead place written August 27. From there, I came home by way of the Elmswood District to see the place Mr. McFarland spoke of. It is the former Jerome Bates place. I stopped to see George as I came by Mr. Becker. Republican speakers tonight on the issues of the day. OCTOBER 21 FRIDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 62. Warm and showers during the night. It commenced raining hard and steady at daylight and continued with high winds until noon when it cleared away and began to grow colder in the PM. After breakfast, I repaired the lining to my cook stove with fire cement. I wrote to Daniel Dignan enclosing a cancellation notice and a lost policy receipt for him to sign if he cannot find the policy. I registered the letter, In the PM, I called at Hadley’s Shop to see Orlando Williams. He has concluded not to insure for one year. I will therefore cancel the policy written. I then called at Mallory’s shop and had a chat with old. Theodore Power about his insurance at Noroton. Called on several others in the factory and came home by way of Main Street. I got a check from Henry Bristol for his store insurance and came home. George and Sarah came over again this evening. OCTOBER 22 SATURDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 38. In the morning, I drove over to Mill Plain to arrange for the renewal of Reuben Rockwell’s insurance. He not being at home, his wife promised to call tomorrow and let us know. I made a deposit in the bank before dinner. After dinner, Mrs. James Sullivan called to see about renting one of Mr. Pierans’ houses at 29 William Street. Later in the PM, I informed her that she could have the house. Later in the PM, Mrs. Hawley sent me to do the Sunday marketing. Brother George went on the one dollar excursion to Pittsfield and returned. I borrowed Mr. Beemans’s Accident and Health Insurance policy in the General Accident Insurance Company of Philadelphia and studied same. He called in the evening, when I returned it. George Walter called in the evening to get returned to him the $10.00 which he paid in advance on his life insurance. The Equitable told me that his application has been rejected on account of his family history. I returned his money. OCTOBER 23 SUNDAY - Mercury at 7 AM – 38. Pleasant in the morning. Lowery in the PM with the appearance of rain in the evening. Received by mail today a returned receipt for registered letter to Daniel Dignan of Redding. Mr. and Mrs. Hawley took dinner with us today. I mailed as not taken to the Connecticut Fire Insurance Company the Orlando Williams policy on his furniture. See letter dated October 22. Mrs. Hawley went with us to church on the evening. We called for a few minutes as we went on Brother George. OCTOBER 24 MONDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 30. Pleasant. After breakfast, I rode over to Mill Plain to see Reuben Rockwell about the renewal of his insurance, but found no one at home. This PM, I received a letter from his wife that in view of some contemplated change, possibly to sell his property, he would for the present defer his insurance. By the noon delivery of mail, I received Mr. Dexter’s pension, that is, the certificate and voucher to be presented. We telephoned to her at Ridgefield and in the PM, she rode up and we made up the voucher at her daughter’s home at 10 Pleasant Street. Before going out to Mill Plain this morning, I went down to Plant’s block and told James Sullivan that the house on 29 Williams Street that I told him he could rent was by Mr. Pierans rented to another party who had previously applied. In answer to telephone, Mrs. Dexter came from Ridgefield and I made up her voucher at her daughter’s home at 10 Pleasant Street and mailed it in the evening to Boston. I also returned to W. B. Schiffer the W. D. Lane permit for quarterly premiums to be made semi-annual. George and Sarah came over in the evening and wrote a post for Mary to Clara Watkins to buy two hymn holders. OCTOBER 25 MONDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 35. A beautiful day. George helped me patch the roof of the barn and office. It took us nearly all day. At about 4:30 PM, I drove with Mary up to Padanarum to arrange with Mrs. Heady to clean the sitting rooms tomorrow. George and Sarah came over again in the evening and spent the evening. OCTOBER 26 WEDNESDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 42. Cloudy most of the day with but little sunshine. After breakfast, Mr. Beeman rode up with me to Mrs. Brown’s on Franklin Street and arranged to renew her policy. From there we went down to Murphy’s Hat Shop to see Willis Hodge, mortgager on Rueben Rockwell’s on Mill Plain. We found that while they wrote me that they would drop the insurance, they lied to me in not doing so and gave it to Louis Reed. I also had a chat with Chester Wilson working in the same shop about his insurance which he and George got mixed on. After dinner, I went over to the Turner Machine Shop for the renewal of W. Conklin, the engineer. Before returning, I called on Pat McGrath and arranged to measure his store next week. George and Sarah came over again in the evening. Mrs. P. Jeffrey called in the evening and paid $37.00 for Elizabeth McDonald life insurance due on the 30th. Mrs. Heady helped Mary clean the house today. Charles Baldwin of Bethel called in the evening to talk life insurance. He is contemplating it as security for a loan to go through college in taking an agricultural course. I carried in my tax list today. OCTOBER 27 THURSDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 44. Pleasant. We cemented around the kitchen chimney this morning. Before dinner, I went over to the Turner Machine Company to ascertain whether W. Conklin now used the oil burner which the permit required. He does not. I delivered the policy. After dinner, I called at Mrs. Raymond’s to see Bill Harvey about insurance on the family dwelling on November 1st. I came home by way of Sunderland’s to make an inquiry regarding the Lucy Haines new house, etc. Mary went down to Dr. Oley’s in the PM for treatment. Before dinner, the Postman brought the pension checks for Mrs. Dexter’s $31.00 accrued pension on Mr. Dexter at the time of his death, less $10.00 fee due to J. B. Crabbe, being net to Mrs. Dexter, $31.00 for a total of $72.00. In the same mail was the bill of Mr. Crabbe for $3.00, his fee for the accrued pension. William Booth this PM, left with Mary, in my absence, the $77.00 annual premium due the 30th for his $2,000 life insurance in the Equitable. After supper, I walked up there and gave him my personal receipt for same until I can get returns with the Company’s official receipt. George and Sarah were over in the evening. OCTOBER 28 FRIDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 22. Pleasant. The coldest morning we have had thus far for the fall. I started the furnace fire for the first time this morning. In the forenoon, Mr. Beeman rode with me over to great Plain to inform Frank Moody that I had secured an extension for him on his life insurance premium. He was not at home but works at Charles Roman’s box shop where I saw him. After driving to Bethel to see and collect from Andrew and Laura Wildman. They were not at home. On our way home, we stopped and collected a dollar from Lottie Williams at Rocky Glenn. After dinner I made a $100 deposit in the bank and collected $3.00 on account from Frank Wilcox for the Union Trust Company. I received a letter from Charles Baldwin that he could not meet me tomorrow for examination for life insurance but will later inform me. I gathered my beets and carrots from the garden. George and Sarah called again in the evening. Lottie and Julia Hirsch came up this PM to stay overnight. Mandeville the peddler, took dinner with us and gave us a chicken. OCTOBER 29 SATURDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 26. Pleasant and cool. We put up the office stove this morning. I delivered Ida Richman’s policy and collected of James Fitzsimmons and driving to Fitzsimmons, took Lottie and Julia Hirsch with me for a ride. After dinner, I took Lottie and Julia over to Cleveland Street to see George Bouton about renewing his vegetable building, but he was not at home. I then left the children at the corner of Wildman and Chestnut Streets to go from there home. About 6 PM, Nellie Johnson called for the pension checks to take home to her mother, Mrs. Dexter, to sign and return next week for me to cash or get at the bank. John Murphy called in the PM and paid for his fire insurance policy on furniture and talked about life insurance. George Nelson also called and left his furniture policy to be transferred to Padanarum Avenue. Estelle White also called to have a piano insured for James Shelby at New Milford. George and Sarah spent the evening with us. George Nelson left his policy to be transferred to 27 Padanarum Avenue. C. L. Morgan brought 1 1/2 tons of coal just at dusk. OCTOBER 30 SUNDAY - Mercury at 7 AM – 38. Pleasant. I received a life insurance receipt by mail from the Equitable for Elizabeth Donald. I mailed same to her in care of P. F. Jeffrey at 16 Town Hill Avenue. After dinner, I called to see John Bouton who is able to go out but not able to do any work. Mr. and Mrs. Hawley were with us to chicken pot pie dinner. Early in the evening, Mary and I went over to George’s and went from there to church at 7:30. OCTOBER 31 MONDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 24. After George came from Bethel this morning, I drove over to Wildman Street and called at J. Murphy’s shop and settled the Chester Williams case of a furniture policy which George wrote for him when he moved from Bethel to King Street. There being a misunderstanding between them, he is to surrender the policy after paying a pro rata for the time it has been in force. From there, I went to 56 Maple Avenue to see Bart Hitchcock who is about to move there from Ball’s Pond which will require a transfer of his policy. After dinner, I went to get the two pension checks of Mrs. Dexter cashed at the bank. Nellie Johnson, her daughter, took them home with her Saturday night for her endorsement returning the same this morning. I gave Mrs. Johnson the money to take home with her, being a net of $49.00 after paying her attorney Mr. Crabbe and for my services. I made various business calls besides Dr. Meade about insuring his brother’s place at 80 Elm Street. George and Sarah spent the evening






Purdy, Horace, 1835-1909. “Horace Purdy Journal October 1904 Entry.” Horace Purdy Journals, MS 044. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 21 Feb. 2020.

Document Viewer


Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.