Horace Purdy Journal August 1904 Entry

Dublin Core


8 pgs


AUGUST 01 MONDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 72. A very humid atmosphere this morning. “Dog Days” seem to have commenced in earnest. George went up to Mrs. Cornelia Depew’s after his arrival from Bethel this morning and had her execute proofs for her lightning loss on July 28 – Agricultural Insurance Company Policy 1703 - We then paid John Bouton $15.00 for repairs and her $.35 for oil cloth for a total loss of $15.35. For the first time in about a week, I rode into the street for some errands and over to Cleveland Street and collected $28.00 from Sarah Austin for insurance on her store and dwelling building on 234 White Street. A heavy thundershower in the afternoon, after which Clara Watkins and I rode over to 26 Spring Street and by word from George Barnum called on Mrs. Charles McClintock to try and insure their furniture. They did not, but gave encouragement for 2 or 3 weeks hence. From there, we went over to the Peoples’ Market on White Street and bought a brisket of corned beef. Hattie Mills died this morning. Funeral at 2 PM at George Osbourne’s at Bethel. In the evening, I walked up to Dr. Sunderland’s with his accident policy for July. George S. Purdy came over in the evening with pieces of steel armor from the battleship “Connecticut”. AUGUST 02 TUESDAY - Warm and muggy with a gentle rain. George went down to Steven’s Insurance office in the forenoon to ascertain about the facts of cow of Mary Jackson killed by lightning at King Street. After dinner, I went by trolley to Bethel with Fannie to attend the funeral of Hattie Mills at the residence of George Osbourne on Greenwood Avenue at 2 PM. On my return, I paid William Barber for a new shaft he put in my spindle last Thursday. I then laid in wait for Herbert Wildman to collect the $100 premium for a policy we wrote for him on Rundle & White Hat Factory on May 26th. I finally caught him and had a good talk with him. He promised to have the money for me in 2 or 3 days. AUGUST 03 WEDNESDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 66; at noon – 80. A beautiful morning. After breakfast, Hattie Watkins went with me to King Street to take the proof of loss for Mary Jackson for loss of cow killed by lightning about 11:30 PM on Thursday, July 28th under Connecticut Fire Insurance Company Policy #1974 brokered to George Stevens & Son, after which we returned home by way of Pandanarum Reservoir. When we arrived in town, I observed that a hind shoe was gone from the left hind foot of Gip. I left Hattie to walk home while I went to D. Gage’s shop and had another shoe put on before coming home myself. After dinner, George mailed the completed proofs, we retaining the duplicate receipt to attach to the policy which we did on the policy we brought home with us for that purpose. AUGUST 04 THURSDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 62. Muggy and warm again today. Pawnee Bill’s Wild West Show came to Danbury. George and I drove up to Joseph Blissard’s on Park Avenue to deliver a Reliance policy on his furniture, etc., but did not find him at home. In the PM, I wrote and enclosed a Connecticut Fire Insurance to Jacob Backer at New Fairfield, same being on his furniture written June23rd. I walked into the street before dinner and came home tired out and stayed in the office in the PM. I received a check from Commercial Union for loss of Achille Canale in Niagara Insurance Company reinsurance. AUGUST 05 FRIDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 66. Muggy again. Received transfer endorsement from National of Hartford, reinsurers of Lafayette for Taggart & Siemon for their new building on Ives Street. I also received a check from the Connecticut Insurance Company for $20 to pay Mrs. Mary Jackson their half of the loss of the cow by lightning. I drove up to King Street and paid her, taking Clara Watkins with me for a ride. I rested awhile after dinner, then went downtown for a few business calls, among them Mrs. Holton at the School of Education for collection of balance due and Saul Clark on Moss Avenue. Neither was at home. Fire Box #61 struck about 4 PM on the corner of White Street and Locust Avenue. I went over. It was a dwelling at 13 Wildman Street near the railroad crossing. It not being our case, I took the trolley and came home. On my arrival, I found Priscilla Benedict and daughter at the office to pay the balance of their insurance premium. In the evening, Achille Canale came in and signed draft and receipt for $2.50 loss which occurred July 13th by gasoline stove in dwelling No. 2. I paid him the cash and then wrote Commercial Union, endorsing the duplicate receipt, the loss being under reinsured by Niagara policy #6312 by Greenwich Insurance Company who in their closing up, reinsured in Commercial Union. After writing, I went over to the Montgomery Street Box and mailed the letter and called a few minutes on George whose wife returned last night from New York bringing Mrs. Kimball with her. I shot our old mother cat this morning. She was sick so I buried the kittens. AUGUST 06 SATURDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 66. Pleasant. Clara Watkins rode with me in the morning to do some marketing over to Andrews’ store on West Wooster Street for meat and in the street for other things. I bought a new catheter at Kinner’s Drug Store. George, Sarah and Mrs. Kimball came over and spent the evening. AUGUST 07 SUNDAY - Mercury at 7AM – 66; at noon – 82. Picked fruit and ripe tomatoes, also our first mess of green corn for dinner. Mr. Rogers brought over an armful of corn stalks for the horse, the first mess for her this season. I went to the Post Office at noon and received a letter from Jacob Layton of South Norwalk containing a check for the Hoyt Walthausen policy. Just at night, I went trolley riding with Mary Dean and Hattie and Clara Watkins to Bethel and returned to North Street and home. George had the accounts made up for the Sun, Connecticut and Reliance. I put the finishing stroke on them and mailed them in the evening. We all went over to spend the evening with George, Sarah and Mrs. Kimball. AUGUST 08 MONDAY - Mercury about 60 in the morning. A short but hard thundershower about 5 this morning. We picked up all the crab apples under the tree this morning after breakfast, mowed the backyard and then threw the apples and grass on the manure heap. The day has been close, muggy and partly cloudy. I called at Rundle & White’s just before dinner and reported to Mr. Rundle that the worthless check that Herbert Wildman mentioned was not theirs, etc. After dinner, I rode up to Park Avenue and delivered a policy to Joseph Blissard. He not being home, I left it with his wife. I put up the horse and took the trolley to Bethel and arranged for additional insurance on the sheet iron dwelling of Laura Wildman, also for insurance on her new barn, horse wagon, etc., including hay and grain for her husband Andrew Wildman. I then called on O. B. Smith and F. M. Clarkson. George, Sarah and Louise Kimball came in and spent the evening. AUGUST 09 TUESDAY - Mercury at 6AM – 62. Cooler and pleasant. Very much like a fall day. Eli Smith came in this morning being very much vexed about his insurance on account a broken term occasioned by the cancellation of Niagara policy #6134 after it had run 2 years. We wrote $500 on the new brick steam laundry of Taggart & Siemon; also wrote in Reliance of Laura Wildman’s iron clad house and frame barn in Bethel in name also of her husband, Andrew Wildman. In the evening, I drove down to Daniel McNamara’s to arrange for the renewal of a policy on the 11th, but he was not at home. I then went up to Pandaranum to see the mortgagor, George Peck. He too was away at Fairfield Beach. I then rode up to Eli Smith’s to explain about his insurance, but he too was not at home. I left word for him to call on me when was downtown. I mailed a bill in the evening to Royal Tomlinson for insurance last April on the dwelling at 5 Ellsworth Avenue. AUGUST 10 WEDNESDAY - Mercury at 56. It commenced raining about daylight returned by mail to Mrs. V. E. Patch of Brookfield the pension certificate and June voucher of Mrs. Edith Ball, her mother and the widow of George Ball, which was left with me to collect the accrued pension for the three months from March to the date of her death in May. On account of my health, I did not feel able to undertake the case for her. It continued raining most of the forenoon and lowery all day, except about 2 PM the sun broke through for a short time, but soon disappeared again. I went downtown in the PM and made a deposit in the bank. I went into Hamilton’s printing rooms and talked insurance with Harry Mead and another fellow printer. I talked with A. C. Ferry, the Hackman, about selling my 2-seat covered wagon. Hattie and Clara Watkins sent their trunk to the railroad station for the 11:37 AM train to Hartford, but it rained so hard that they deferred gong themselves until tomorrow. In the evening, I made and mailed our July account with a check for $131.38 for the April balance to the Agricultural Insurance Company. Before dinner, I went by trolley to see Daniel McNamara about renewing a policy, but he has not yet returned from North Salem. AUGUST 11 THURSDAY - Mercury at 6AM – 70. Pleasant. In the forenoon, I delivered a policy on dwelling and barn on 38 Coal Pit Hill to Daniel McNamara at his saloon. I also took Mary to the 11:37 train to see Hattie and Clara Watkins off to Hartford, returning home after a visit since July 15th. After the departure of the train, we drove downtown and as stated, delivered the McNamara policy. About 4PM, I harnessed and drove over to Beaverbrook and collected on account from Fuller and grocer who gave me sweet corn, squash and tomatoes to bring home. In the evening, I made a gasoline stove permit for Edmund Sauer. AUGUST 12 FRIDAY - Mercury at 6AM – 62. The day has been somewhat mixed as to sunshine and clouds. Before dinner, I drove over to deliver the gasoline stove permit to George Sauer and collected $2.00 due from Ira Post. I also ascertained from the town records that on Feb. 25, 1903, A. T. Bates, administrator for the estate of Taylor Bates, gave to Valentine Patch a quit claim deed on the property situated on the northwest corner of George and Orchard Street, known as 21 George Street, this ascertainment being necessary for us in renewing a policy on the same tomorrow. After dinner in looking over our books, I could find no entry of George Hill paying the premium as to an endorsed reduction of this policy dated April 4th on his insurance. I stared at 3:45 and drove up to his place on Huckleberry Hill to see him as to the payment and the date thereof, which I found to be the 2nd day of April, OK. In the evening, I wrote to the Connecticut Fire Insurance Company. I find that I had not charged for the rebate on this reduction. AUGUST 13 SATURDAY - Mercury at 6AM – 60. After breakfast and picking up crabapples under the tree, I went over to Chester Brush at 21 Montgomery Street to see her about the rebate on her furniture policy on October 1st, which her son, F. C. Bush, DDS of New York, wrote me about. I found that she is gone and is now at her son’s in New York. This PM, I wrote him relating to the matter. I also went up to Mallory’s factory to see William Phillips. He promised to come about 5 PM to pay the balance of his insurance; he did not come. In the PM, Mrs. Hawley and me went downtown and did our Sunday marketing. Orrin Smith from Bethel came in the PM and paid his fire insurance. Also about 7 o’clock in the evening, came A. L. Booth and paid. George and Sarah and Mrs. Kimball came over in the evening. George Blissard came in the evening and paid $4.00 on account. I gave George a pail of vinegar to take home with him. AUGUST 14 SUNDAY - Mercury at 8AM – 65. A gentle rain during the night; lowery all morning. I went down to the Post Office at noon for the mail and the Sunday New York Press. A letter of the 10th to Royal Tomlinson with a bill for insurance on the dwelling at 5 Ellsworth Avenue was returned to me unable to be delivered, due to the fact that he has moved. I remailed it to his new and correct address, 10265 Lexington Avenue, New York. I also mailed a letter and bill for insurance to Valentine Patch at Brookfield. After dinner, I took a specimen of my water up to Dr. Sunderland’s; he found no fault with it, but gave me some tablets. AUGUST 15 MONDAY - Mercury at 6 AM - 65; at 2PM - 80. A beautiful day. After breakfast, I drove down to Fannie’s with a mess of green corn and cucumbers. From there I drove by way of Triangle Street to Clarence Morgan’s and arranged for the renewal of his Highland Avenue bakery. Lottie and Julia Hirsch came up in the afternoon; Lottie to attend the funeral of Winifred Barry, who was drowned at New Haven while bathing last Friday. Steven Pierans called in the PM and I gave him a check for $48.06, the amount of the July rent collections. About 4 PM, I drove down to Clark’s Box Shop and arranged for renewal of policies for Eugene Bouton for which he paid me. Mrs. Hawley’s boarder, James Busby, was taken in a fit about 8:30 in the evening and I went for a doctor and got Dr. English. AUGUST 16 TUESDAY - Mercury at 7 AM – 60. Pleasant. I spent most of the forenoon shaking and picking up crab apples. Just before dinner, I drove up to 26 Lake Avenue to see Carwell Higby about the renewal of the property, formerly Marcellus Voorhies, as to writing one policy on the whole instead of two policies as formerly. After dinner, I went to the city bank and had J. Beal’s’ check for $13.75 cashed. I then went to Bethel to see Mr. Higby who works at Higson’s, then made a call at French’s Dry Goods Store. Then I called on Andrew Wildman and delivered a policy and returned home by trolley after calling on W. Booth at Short’s shop. Mary went over to Montgomery Street in the evening to carry crab apples to Brother George. AUGUST 17 WEDNESDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 60; at 2 PM – 80. Pleasant. Before dinner, I went down to see the new location where Frank Wilcox keeps his horse, etc. on Crosby Street to arrange a transfer of insurance but did not see hm. I also called on Stevens Street to see John Stevens about a policy on furniture, horses, etc. written last April; also an accident policy of August 6th. Fannie Hirsch was with me and did some trading after which I drove home with her and brought Lottie home with me to stay a few days. When I arrived, I found E. J. Couch waiting to see me. We had an afternoon visit and referred to his taking my mortgage which he was not able to do now but might do so later. On his departure at about 5 Pm, I opened a bottle of ginger ale. Before going out this morning, we shook off and gathered crabapples. Mr. Beeman with his artificial leg climbed where I could not and shook the tree. In the evening, I wrote to F. Bouton and enclosed a bill for insurance for Mary Turner. AUGUST 18 THURSDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 64. A pleasant day with a north wind which when out in the sun felt like a September day. I adjusted the Taggart & Siemon policy on the new laundry to conform to the newly promulgated rates and they paid for it. After dinner, Lottie Hirsch went with me about town looking after renewals, etc. Nellie Hamilton called on Mary this PM. Before supper, I also rode up to Lake Avenue and delivered a policy and bill for one left at the Danbury Savings Bank for Carwell Higby at 26 Lake Avenue; we then drove to the Post Office and mailed an accident report for July to Loomis & Nettleton and then came home. I was very tired. Mary and Lottie went over to Brother George’s on Montgomery Street in the evening. AUGUST 19 THURSDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 46. Joel Bates came over after breakfast to borrow money. I was compelled to refuse. I called on George Boughton about renewing his policy on furniture, etc. He is leaning toward the Danbury Mutual. I am to see him again. In the PM, I found John Stevens and he promised to look up my receipt for payment of premium on his insurance for furniture, etc., which he claims he paid and which I have no account of his doing so. I also delivered the Sun policy to Charles Dickens’ at Connett’s factory and had him sign the endorsement receipt on same for loss paid him under same. George, his wife and sister Mrs. Kimball came over in the evening. AUGUST 20 SATURDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 60. Awoke and found it raining hard. It continued until after dinner when it ceased but did not clear up. At 2 PM, Lottie Hirsch rode with me over to Andrew’s store where I bought a pot roast of beef for Sunday dinner. On the way, I delivered a $1,000 furniture policy to W. H. Booth at 7 Division Street and collected for it. The right forward wheel to the wagon showed signs of collapsing. We feared to ride further and came home. I then walked into the street and did other marketing – fish for breakfast, etc. – and returned home. After supper, I went down for my laundry and stopped on my return at Dr. Sunderland’s and collected $2.65 for 5 lbs. of coffee for George Purdy. In the forenoon, I called on George Boughton and discussed the difference between a stock and mutual fire insurance company. I then went to Frank Wilcox and he consented to pay the increased rate for transfer of his insurance on horses, etc. Clear and starlight at 9 PM. Elmer Keeler called this PM when I was out and paid $25 on account of his insurance. AUGUST 21 SUNDAY - Mercury at 6 AM - 65; at noon – 70. Pleasant. Before breakfast, I went over to Mr. Rogers’ garden and cut two armfuls of corn stalks for my horse. At 11:30, I went down to the Post Office and to Culp’s News Store for the New York Press. After dinner, I wrote to John Davis at Bridgeport to send his Sun policy with a more definite description of 881 Stratford Avenue for us to make the transfer. I also wrote to M. Thomas to give me a description of the property. I then wrote to the Connecticut Fire Insurance Company for their views on the cancellation of policies after partial losses. About sundown, George S., his wife Sarah, and her sister, Louise Kimball came over for a short visit. I then paid George $2.65 for Dr. Sunderland for 5 lbs. of coffee recently ordered. In the evening, I went to the Sam Harris block to see James VanGordon, a brakeman on the Highland Division to Hartford to see if he will buy at Thompson’s store at Harford for me two bottles of cod liver oil, but they were not at home. From there, I went over to brother George’s and came home with Mary Dean who had gone there to spend the evening. AUGUST 22 MONDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 60; at noon – 78. Pleasant. As I went to the barn this morning, I found a large armful of cornstalks at the door for my horse brought over by Mr. Rogers before I was out. I took my spindle buggy down to W. Barber’s for repairs, after which I took Mrs. Louise Kimball to ride with me over to Beaverbrook for collections, etc. On our return, we came by way of the Allen house and through the cemetery arriving home just at noon. After dinner and a rest for myself in the office, I got Mr. Beeman to go with me. I collected premiums of Philo Bradley, took a trace to my harness to Blackman’s to be mended, went up to Mallory’s shop to see W. J. Phillips, returned for my harness and hitched behind my carriage the spindle buggy at barber’s Wagon Shop and brought it home. After supper, I took the trolley to Bethel to collect from Andrew Wildman, but I made a mistake. Next Saturday was the day he promised to pay. On my return, I stopped at James VanGordon’s and left $1.00 with his wife for him to buy two bottles of cod liver oil for me in Hartford. I was caught in a thundershower as I came home about 9 o’clock. I ran in the rain from West Street to the house and got quite wet. Mrs. Anna Merritt called in the PM and paid for her insurance to be written on the 24th. AUGUST 23 TUESDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 62. Clear and cooler this morning after the thundershower last night. I went to Gage’s Blacksmith Shop and had a long shoe tightened on a horse; the Mr. Beeman and I started for Westville to see James Stevens for money but did not find him at home. We found him at Vernon Young’s at Middle River. We came home by way of King Street and partly arranged matters with David Knapp about the insurance for the Silas Abbott place on Westville Avenue, it being now used in part for a grocery store. We brought home a good bushel of apples from Mr. Knapp’s. In the PM, I drove up to 33 North Street and delivered a policy to Mrs. Anna Merritt and to Tamarack Street with a policy for James Devine. Mary rode with me. Coming from King Street this forenoon, I stopped for a few minutes at Chester Wilson’s. He was not at home. AUGUST 24 WEDNESDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 48; at noon – 70. Quite cool this morning. Before dinner, I delivered a policy to Julius Stone on his store. I called at James in the Harris block for two bottles of cod liver oil which he bought for me in Harford. On opening the package at home, we found that he had by some mistake, got half sizes instead of full sized bottles and paid 69 cents for each, being the price for full-sized bottles. I returned them to Mrs. VanGordon to be exchanged by Mr. VanGordon tomorrow when waiting between trains. Fannie came up in the PM and rose with me to the Railroad Station to see VanGordon on his train going out at 2:57. I then went to the Turner Machine Company and exhibited to Mr. Wildman, the bookkeeper, the policy made over to him by Robert McClean on the former John Parker place which he has recently bought. I then delivered it to Mr. McClean at the store; he holds the mortgage on the place. I then carried Fannie around to do some marketing after which I drove down with her. She came up again in the evening, bringing Julia to stay all night. George, Sarah and her sister Louise came in for the evening. I received a letter from Mary Turner of Duchess County in New York, stating that she had decided not to renew the policy on her Brookfield place. I called at the Savings Bank who holds the mortgage to take up the policy, but they requested me to leave it until they write her and insist on the policy being continued. Fannie came up with Julia in the evening. Julia will stay with us over night and go to a children’s party tomorrow at Mr. Higgins on Brushy Hill road. AUGUST 25 THURSDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 62. Pleasant. I mowed a part of the yard next to the grapevine before breakfast. After breakfast, Ira Renfield called and took his furniture policy and paid for it. I went to Gage’s Blacksmith Shop and had Gip shod with new behind and forward shoes. While this was being done, I had Blackman, the harness maker mend a trace to the harness and also called on Mr. Wildman, bookkeeper at the Turner Machine Factory and got a promise of insurance on his furniture when he takes possession of the John parker house which he has recently bought. I wrote to Fred Lawton of Duchess County New York relating the insurance on the Mary Turner place in Brookfield which she wants to discontinue but the bank wants to keep it on. About 4 O’clock, I went over to Clarence Morgan’s to arrange for the restoration of his Equitable policy which lapsed for nonpayment when due on June 29th. He sent his check dated July 29th which was returned to him until he would send a statement of his good health, all of which I obtained and with the check enclosed, I forwarded to W. B. Schaffer, clerk at New Haven. AUGUST 26 FRIDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 66. I picked up crab apples for Mrs. Schepparance (?) after breakfast and before which I went over to Mr. Rogers’ garden and picked up an armful of cornstalks for the horse. Later and before dinner, I went down to Mr. VanGordon’s for my two bottles of cod liver oil which he was to get in exchange for small ones sent by mistake, but he had not yet got it. I went up in the PM to see Elmer Clark about furniture insurance; from there to the railroad station at 3 o’clock to meet Mr. VanGordon, the brakeman, about my cod liver oil, but he was not on the train. I receive Post Office orders from Mary Turner to pay for insurance on the Brookfield place. Mary went in the evening to see Dr. Sunderland and took little Julia Hirsch with her after which they visited George on Montgomery Street. I at the same time went to Orchard Street to collect on insurance of Mrs. Jennie Townsend. AUGUST 27 SATURDAY - Mercury at 6 AM -46. Cold but pleasant this morning. Julia Hirsch rode with me nearly all morning. I called on Mr. VanGordon for my cod liver oil. I delivered a policy to Mrs. Popke at 96 Garfield Avenue, then went over to Andrew’s store and bought a veal chop for dinner. In the PM, Lottie came up and the little store girl with her, she having various parcels to carry home. I hitched the horse and took them down home. On my return, I took Mary downtown for some marketing. In the evening, George, his wife Sarah and her sister came over for a visit. AUGUST 28 SUNDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 50; art noon – 80. Pleasant. We had clam fritters for breakfast, after which I carried a fresh picked mess of corn, cucumbers and tomatoes over to brother George. I received letter from Mrs. Josephine Stout stating that she had been sick with the grippe which was the reason she had not paid the $5.00 balance of borrowed money and promising to pay the same next Saturday. Also a letter from the Sun Insurance Company for further explanation, maps, location, etc. of the Union Trust Company transfer. About 3:30 PM Mary went with Mrs. Hawley to Doctor Oley to have glasses fitted for her eyes. Mrs. Hawley sent over a dish of succotash and brother George brought in an apple pies for dinner. We spent the evening with George and visiting with Mrs. Kimball who returns to New York City tomorrow. AUGUST 29 MONDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 56. Pleasant. After breakfast, I drove up to Westville Avenue to see Louis Bristol and his son-in-law, Edgar Platt who occupy the old Silas Abbott place and who are keeping a small grocery in the place and pursuant to arrangement with Davis Knapp, executor of the Abbott estate. I made arrangements with them to pay the difference in rates of insurance for the grocery feature of the risk. This they agreed to do. I collected on my drive home $5.00 on account from Edward Headley; also called on Mrs. Richtmyer at 75 Franklin Street about renewal of the Echo Lodge No. 30 Daughters of Rebecca policy. I then called on Mrs. Nellie Schoonmaker at 28 Starr Avenue. She promised to pay the balance due on next Saturday. Received from John Watkins of Hartford a letter asking about accident insurance. I answered it by return mail to Hartford today. Mrs. Emma Anni(?) called in the PM to get her furniture renewed at 27 Main Street where she is to move tomorrow. Also Mr. James VanGordon called to explain about the cod liver oil he did not get in Hartford. In the PM, I called at the New Street School to confer with Edgar Platt, who is the janitor of the school, regarding the insurance raised on account of the grocery store in the house, etc. I called for a few minutes at the office of the Turner Machine Factory and left some life insurance papers with the bookkeeper, Mr. Wildman. I commenced to make up an affidavit as to property, etc. for Melissa Griffith. In the evening, I wrote to J. H. Soule in Washington regarding pension blanks. AUGUST 30 TUESDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 52. Got a bundle of cornstalks for the horse from Mr. Rogers’ garden before breakfast, after which I drove down to Andrew Wildman’s near Short’s Hat Factory in Bethel and collected $6.00 for a $1,000 policy in the Agricultural Insurance Company on the dwelling. I called in the factory and took Eli Ferry’s application for one of the state’s honorary medals for the three month volunteers in 1861 in the War of the Southern Rebellion, he being a member of Company C in the Third Regiment Connecticut Volunteers. From there, I drove to Beaverbrook and collected from George Bradley on account $2.00 and two dozen eggs. After dinner, I went to the bank with a deposit, then to W. L. Wall’s Blacksmith Shop to try and collect from Howard Hall for a policy on furniture written April 19, 1904, but did not succeed. From there, I called on Taggart & Siemon and suggested a partnership life policy. In the evening, a Mrs. Virginia McKnight called about an accident policy for her nephew Arthur Francis Dugan. She is to call again tomorrow evening. When at Beaverbrook, I called on Albert Edwards who is an invalid. AUGUST 31 WEDNESDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 54. Charles Bevins came in the morning and borrowed $2.00 of me until next Monday, pension day. In the morning, I drove down to 23-25 Main Street and arranged with Adolph Jelenyik for renewal of his furniture policy on September 2. I then went up to Osborne Street and delivered the Echo Lodge daughters of Rebecca policy to Mrs. Stubbs. After dinner, I drove down to Bethel to Short’s Hat Shop for my fountain pen which I left there yesterday while taking Eli Ferry’s application for one of the state medals for the three month volunteers of 1861. After tea, Mrs. John Allen’s daughter came over to say that she had received a voucher for $2.80 to be executed for accrued pension for John Allen from Dec. 4, 1903 to the 10th of December – 6 days, with instructions to enclose with the same his old certificate for surrender. I went over with the daughter, Mrs. Waite, and fixed out the papers. I mailed the same to A. J. Hyatt, the U. S. pension agent at Boston. I also wrote and mailed a letter to Louis & Nettleton about accident insurance for Mrs. James McKnight and her nephew, Alfred Dugan. In the evening, Fannie called with Sarah Hirsch from New York who with her brother is stopping with Herman for a visit. In the evening, Mr. and Mrs. Adolph Turnerville called to see about insuring about 200 Belgian Homing Pigeons. I sent a check to the Connecticut Fire Insurance Company for $71.00, the amount of the June balance.






Purdy, Horace, 1835-1909. “Horace Purdy Journal August 1904 Entry.” Horace Purdy Journals, MS 044. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 28 Jan. 2020.

Document Viewer


Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.