Horace Purdy Journal June 1904 Entry

Dublin Core


6 pgs


JUNE 01 WEDNESDAY - Mercury 60. Mr. Beeman, about 9 AM, rode with me over to Frank Oetzel’s where I collected the balance due for his store insurance. Then I went over to Clarence Morgan’s to see about a ton of coal I ordered last week. He promised to bring it today. Then we went up to Pandaranum Avenue and arranged for the renewal of the furniture policy as they had just moved from Keeler Street. From there, we went to Abbott Avenue to see about Mary Hurlburt’s renewal. In the evening, I made a deposit, including a $200 note for discount. I met special agent Miller of the Equitable Life Insurance for a few minutes. After tea, I rode up to see Mrs. Hurlburt. It being about 7:30, I found her home, she having just arrived home from the factory. I arranged for the renewal of her insurance. JUNE 02 THURSDAY - Mercury 52. Cold and cloudy all day. I made up the Accident Standard accounts for May. Clarence Morgan brought me a ton of coal this morning. Before dinner, I called at Mr. Shepard’s to collect for insurance but got nothing. After dinner, I drove over to Hull’s Hill to collect from Mr. Dunn but got nothing. On my return I got $5.00 from Leroy Andrews. Mrs. Priscilla Benedict sent in $2.00. Mrs. Saul Stuart called from Bethel about insuring a piano then tried to borrow $15.00. I GUESS I DIDN’T DO IT. I wrote to Jacob Baker at New Fairfield about using his cased tobacco. JUNE 03 FRIDAY - Mercury 60. Cloudy until after dinner when it cleared off and the sun shone. About 8:30, I started for Stony Hill to see Hannah Clark about renewing insurance on dwelling at Germantown, i.e., North Osborne Street, it being the property designated for her son Frank Clark, but the title yet being in her name. On the way over, I saw Lena Knapp about the mortgage she holds on our place. On my return, I came by way of George Bradley’s and his wife paid me $2.00 on account of his insurance and half dozen eggs on the same account. While in the street on my way home, Saul Rundle informed me that they had just paid H. Wildman $100, the premium on a Sun policy I wrote for him on the Rundle & White factory and advised me to go to him and get my pay. After dinner, I called at the factory and Mr. Rundle said the check was given as he said before dinner. I then walked over to C. L. Morgan’s store and spoke for renewal of his store insurance. Received from Patrick Gorman at Branchville a postal order for $11.00 to balance his insurance. Also a request from J. M. Layton for another form of the Hoyt & Walthausen policy to be sent to him. Frank Fowler gave me $5.00 this PM on account of his insurance. George and Sarah came over in the evening. I paid George 48 cents for two pounds of coffee, we being out and he having a surplus until we can order more. Before retiring, I sent a receipt to Mr. Gorman and a bill to H. A. Wildman. JUNE 04 SATURDAY - Mercury 63. Pension Day. Pleasant and warmer as the sun has shone all day. Pension work has kept me busy. George and Mr. Beekman drove up to Saul Gregory’s after dinner to execute his voucher. Just at eight, Mrs. Hawley and I drove and did the marketing for Sunday. George and Sarah came over in the evening. I was about exhausted with the rush of pension voucher work today. JUNE 05 SUNDAY - Mercury 65 at 7 AM; 82 at noon. Warm. At 11 AM, I took the trolley to Bethel to have George as notaries make my pension voucher which was overlooked yesterday. He handed me O. B. Smith’s policy on which to attach a permit to keep an automobile in his barn. Sent postal to Charles Watkins that Barber’s scarlet ink powder was received OK. Mailed my pension voucher to Boston. We called at George’s about 7 PM and from there, went to church to hear Dr. Wilson preach about thumbs and great toes from Judges 1:6-7, but before he finished his sermon great thunder was heard and from fear of the congregation getting wet on the way home, he shortened the sermon and dismissed the congregation. The shower shifted its course however and no rain came. JUNE 06 MONDAY - Mercury 75 at 7 AM; 80 at noon. Clear and very warm. After breakfast, I planted over my lima beans where they rotted in the ground, after which George and I mowed the back yard. About 10 AM, Mr. Beeman and I rode uptown. On the way, I called at Rundle & White’s factory and ascertained that they gave Herbert Wildman a $100 check for the Sun Policy I furnished him. I then delivered a policy to Mrs. Mary Quinn on Padaranum Avenue. I also arranged with Frank Clark, the colorman at Mallory’s Factory for the renewal of the policy on his house at Germantown, so-called, and increased it $500 on his furniture. I then got diagrams for 77 Rowan Street for transfer to W. H. Light and delivered policy to Frank Holmes on Balmforth Avenue. In the PM, I took the trolley to Bethel to return to Mrs. Emily benedict the $10 she advanced on her place until Cornelius Sturgis should purchase the property. I did so and took her receipt therefore. After supper, George and Sarah came over and with his help, I removed the iron rod form the trunk of the wisteria vine which had nearly killed it by embedding itself into the wood of the tree as it grew. It was alright when the vine was young and needed supporting, but now it was, so to speak, strangling the vine. JUNE 07 TUESDAY - Mercury 60. A thunder shower during last night. Lowery during the forenoon. I cleaned up the Blue Flame Kerosene Stove after breakfast. I went downtown after dinner and saw Mrs. Ward regarding assistance for Mrs. Hawley. She requested Mrs. Hawley to come and see her. After dinner, I went into the street again to see if Lottie Stock wanted her insurance rewritten at 96 White Street to where she has moved. She consulted Frank Wilcox who advised her not to do so at the high rate of premium but to insure the piano only. I called on Samuel Newman, but succeeded in getting nothing. We were threatened with a heavy shower about 6 PM which passed off with but little rain here, before which our pastor Dr. Wilson called. After tea and it was clear that we were not to have a shower, Mary went over to George’s at 19 Montgomery Street to see Sarah who goes to New York by an early train tomorrow morning. JUNE 08 WEDNESDAY - Mercury 70. Slight showers last night. Just before dinner, I went downtown and mailed two letters and called at 96 White Street and arranged with Lottie Stock for change to her insurance from $1,000 to $500. JUNE 09 THURSDAY - Rainy all day. IN the forenoon I went down to lawyer William H. Cable’s office and had two affidavits typewritten for the town and city assessors, respectively to make as to no taxable property owned by Leonard Dexter or his widow, Frances Dexter, the same called for by the pension department at Washington in application for widow’s pension. In the PM, the city assessors, E. S. Fairchild and Mr. F. Vores, signed for the city. Jack Bates called me this morning and urged me to advance $2.00 more on his pension, which I did. He came again in the afternoon for more, but I hid away from him. JUNE 10 FRIDAY - Mercury 45. Cold this morning. I mowed my dooryard this morning with a scythe it being too long for a lawn mower, which I will use to smooth up tomorrow morning. I used the scythe to get warm before going into the office. After George came from Bethel about 8 o’clock, I drove over to Mr. Dunn’s beyond Hull’s Hill and collected $8.00 on account of their insurance. After my return, I took Mr. Beekman and went over to Clarence Morgan to see about his store insurance and his barn at Beaverbrook, then went over there and collected one dollar and a dozen eggs on account of George Bradley. After dinner, I rested and slept until about 3 o’clock, then I mended a bridle, harnessed Gyp and with James Morton, who called to see if his pension check had arrived, I went uptown, leaving him at Franklin Street, then to see John Haslett at Vinson’s Hat Factory (he being the foreman over their sizing room) about signing an affidavit as one of the town assessors as to their being no property on the town books accredited to Mrs. Frances Dexter. I had quite a life insurance talk with him. I then drove down to South Street to arrange for renewal of fire insurance on the tenant dwelling of Thomas Brigham. After tea, I drove up to Highland Avenue to see Mrs. Mary Williams about her taking our mortgage, but she being away, ascertained nothing. On my return, I drove down Franklin Street and saw the town clerk, E. M. Bulkley as to renewing policy on dwelling at 190 Triangle Street for the estate of Sarah Taylor. JUNE 11 SATURDAY - Mercury 60. Pleasant and warmer. I hoed out a part of my garden before breakfast. We wrote and I delivered an agricultural policy to Thomas Brigham after breakfast. James Martin called in the forenoon to get his pension check which comes from Washington, but it did not arrive as expected. I advanced him $2.00 on it so he could clean up and attend a meeting at Starr’s plain tomorrow. He is trying to reform and lead a new life, and I felt like helping him to attend the meeting tomorrow. In the PM, Mrs. Samuel Street from Bethel called and insisted that I should loan her $15.00 for two months. I was unable to get rid of her without letting her have $10.00. I called on Dr. Sunderland to have my water examined; he found it alright, but gave me some medicines to correct involuntary emissions from seminal and sexual organs. JUNE 12 SUNDAY - Mercury this morning 60. Pleasant but only moderately warm. I am feeling very weak and can scarcely drag around. I went to the Post Office at noon and after dinner went again to see Dr. Sunderland and arranged for insurance on his horses, etc. and a renewal on furniture to get a mixed policy and thereby a better rate for him. JUNE 13 MONDAY - Pleasant but cool. I have felt very weak and badly today. We wrote extra insurance ($400) for one month for Harry Bristol and gave a permit for keeping fireworks. I tried to see George Brush about delivery of his father’s insurance on River Street but failed to find him. I called again to see Mrs. Mary Williams about taking our mortgage, but she had decided to take no more mortgages. Nathan Hay called at non with Alexander Lee as affidavit as to the knowledge of his brother’s claim for the state amount for the reimbursement of funeral expenses. I took his affidavit. JUNE 14 TUESDAY - Mercury 56. Received by the morning mail a P.O. order from Carrie Nichols for $5.50 balance of insurance due since February 1st. We delivered the Sun policy to George brush and mother Mary Brush on River Street, it having for many years past with T. Jones, agent, now deceased and now comes to us. Mrs. E. M. Griffith brought me a blank from the pension office to be certified to by the clerk of the Superior Court as to my authority as Notary Public to be kept on file at Washington. Still feeling miserable I stayed in the house on the lounge all the PM. George S. Purdy took tea with us. He made a clam stew for me which I relished. He helped me do the barn work after tea. Mr. Daragan gave me a check for $20.00 dated the 16th in payment for insurance on his brick block. George Starr was with us in the evening. I felt so badly that I had him go up and have Dr. Sunderland come to see me which he did and left medicine for me. William Rich’s house was burned to the ground early this morning out at Mill Plain. JUNE 15 WEDNESDAY - Mercury 60. A little warmer. I have kept quiet today. My left testicle is feeling quite sore. I fear a recurrence of past time trouble with them. At 4 PM, I went up to Dr. Sunderland’s and he gave me another remedy for the last trouble named. I grew warm during the day. JUNE 16 THURSDAY - Still warmer and pleasant. George took his wife and drove to Beaverbrook to see the two Bradley’s – George M. and his father, Tomas C. – but did not find them. From there they went to New Fairfield to see Jack Baker about insuring cased tobacco, but they had not decided to do so because another party intended had to be consulted. I am so much worse, that immediately on his arrival, I sent him for Dr. Sunderland. He came about 4 PM and prescribed for me. JUNE 17 FRIDAY - Another warm day. I had a restless night up to midnight when I took another pain powder and slept fairly well until this morning. Doctor came this forenoon. George and Mr. Beeman will look after the business this morning. They left N. C. Hoyt’s policy at the Union Savings Bank. Saw W. E. Lewis about the transfer of his policy to Beaverbrook in the Paul Shortland house for which he has traded his Patch Street property. I have kept quiet today. I am holding my own, I think, but no great improvement. Mrs. Hawley stayed with Mary last night to assist in case I should need any special care. JUNE 18 SATURDAY - Mercury 60. Pleasant and warm. Am neither better today, nor I think worse. Dr. Sunderland called at the noon hour and changed my medicine, giving me something stronger to move my bowels. It did not act as positively as desired. I could eat nothing to speak of. I ate no supper at all. Mrs. Hawley did our marketing for us for Sunday. George S. came over and did our barn work. Mrs. Charles Fowler called in the PM and paid balance of insurance. Also did Arthur Dibble, paying $5.00 on account of his bill. JUNE 19 SUNDAY - Warmer. I am feeling very much better. Medicine for moving my bowels given yesterday by Dr. Sunderland commenced operations about 1 o’clock last night and kept me busy until morning. George S. came over in the morning and took care of the horse, Gip, and did the other barn work. After breakfast, I cleaned up and dressed my swollen testicles with a new dressing of Antiphlogistine.(Note: In the early 20th century, Antiphlogistine was one of the old remedies for boils, poison ivy and chest congestion, first used in 1893 and created by Denver Chemical of New York. The initial trademark application reads :(EXPIRED) IC 005. US 006. G & S: MEDICINAL PREPARATION POSSESSING CURATIVE PROPERTIES AND BEING A CURATIVE REMEDY FOR INJURIES AND ACUTE AND CHRONIC INFLAMMATORY AFFECTIONS. FIRST USE: 18931001. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 1893).George S. brought the mail at noon and stayed to dinner. Mr. Beeman called while we were at dinner, just before which Dr. Sunderland called and immediately pronounced me better. About 5 PM, George S. fed the horse and made her bed, then went over home to water his plants and write to Sarah who is in New York with Louise, leaving him alone. We received postal this noon from Mr. Wodzilowski to call and look after a small loss on his furniture. JUNE 20 MONDAY - Mercury 74. Pleasant. After breakfast, I sent George up to Dr. Sunderland’s with a sample of my water for examination as to kidney trouble. He pronounced it alright. George this forenoon went to 84 Balmforth Avenue to see about a small loss for Mr. Wodzilowski, which occurred Saturday morning the 18th, the loss being damage to clothing only from a lamp in a clothes closet. Dr. Sunderland called at noon. He says that I am better which in an all-round way of speaking is true. I am compelled to keep off my feet as much as possible. John Bouton called a few minutes in the PM. George S. took tea with us, and then fed the horse for me. Fannie and Ida Stone called in the evening. JUNE 21 FRIDAY - Mercury 68. I am feeling very much better this morning. George with Mr. Beeman took our kerosene blue flame stove to be soldered as it leaked too badly when last used to continue use until the leak can be stopped. I wrote a sharp letter to H. A. Wildman to pay the Rundle & White premium which he has collected on the same policy – premium $100. I ate well at dinner. After dinner, Adele l. Clark called to see about renewing the insurance formerly Cornelius Dibble’s property, as she is now living there herself and it is not a strictly tenant farm. I reduced the rate from $2.25 to $1.50. I wrote the policy though expiring on the 24th and at 5PM she called and paid for it. Mr. Peirans and son Frank are over today to place a new water pipe from house No. 11 to the water main in William Street. I settled and gave to them a check for May rents. Mr. Beeman came over and did my barn work feeding the horse, etc. at about 6 PM. In the evening, Mrs. Hawley came over and gave Mary a shampoo. JUNE 22 WEDNESDAY - Mercury 76. Very warm and muggy. I am holding my own and feeling as well or better than yesterday. The doctor did not call yesterday, my condition not requiring him. He called on me about 10 AM today without charge to see how I am getting along. He said I am doing well and require very little medicine now. A plenty of air stirring which makes the day quite comfortable if out in the sun. George with Mr. Beeman accompanying went over to Beaverbrook this morning to see George Bradley and collect the $3.00 balance of his insurance. He only got $2.00 and from George Bradley he got one dozen eggs on account of his insurance. He called on Mr. Grover but he was away. After George returned, he carried Mr. Beeman to the depot to go to Thomaston to attend the funeral of a brother. Just before dinner, we had a lively shower without thunder which lasted about 5 minutes. Fannie called a few minutes in the PM. JUNE 23 THURSDAY - Mercury 60 at 6 AM; 78 at noon. Pleasant and cool. I hoed out part of my garden before breakfast. George took the horse and went down to W. Taylor’s Plumbing Shop for our Blue Flame Kerosene Stove which has been there for two days past, but it had not yet been mended. In the PM, Jacob Becker from New Fairfield came over to have $800 insurance on furniture. He is having a lawsuit on the same to recover from the Westchester Insurance Company. I secured the job and wrote the policy. He will call for it and pay the next time he comes to town. George Starr came over and helped me do the barn work at night. JUNE 24 FRIDAY - Mercury at 60. Pleasant. I finished hoeing out my garden before breakfast. After breakfast, I went up to consult Dr. Sunderland. Mary Foley called to have notary work on an application for change in beneficiary on Alice Doyle’s policy in the Metropolitan. George drove up to the Alms House to get her signature. While he was away, O. E. Cook from Bridgeport came to adjust the Wodzilowski loss. After dinner, George went to meet him to attend to the matter. When George returned in the morning, he brought the kerosene stove mending for leak from W. H. Taylor. JUNE 25 SATURDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 65; at noon, 90. Pleasant. Very warm. George went to the bank and made a deposit before dinner. I walked over to Mr. Morrell’s store on Orchard Street and delivered a policy on his stock, this being the farthest I have walked in a week. I kept the office door closed to keep out the heat and stayed inside all the PM. After sundown, I hoed over the veranda flower bed. While doing so, Mr. MacArthur, who recently went on an excursion to Jerusalem and Palestine, came over and we had an interesting talk about his trip. Mrs. Hawley just at night did our Sunday marketing for us. George came over in the evening and brought ice cream to cool and regale us with. JUNE 26 SUNDAY - Mercury at 6 AM – 74; at noon, 94. Very much cooler this morning. George mowed the dooryard this morning, after which he went with me riding up to Byron Dexter’s to talk about him taking over our mortgage. There is nothing certain yet. From there we went over to the City Hall. George Wakeman’s signature as one the town assessors that Frances L. Dexter had no property as shown by the assessors’ books. I also got the signature of the two other assessors, Frank Benedict and John Hassett. From there, I had John Booth, as clerk of the Superior Court make a Certificate of Notary’s Authority for file at the Pension Department at Washington. I then called and collected $3.00 on account of insurance of Lottie Stock. I secured Dr. Parmalee’s signature as executor of the estate of Susan Beard making assignment of policies over to Carwell Higby. I was quite tired with my forenoon’s work and ay on the lounge most of the PM. JUNE 28 TUESDAY - Mercury 54. Cooler and not entirely clear in the morning. Before dinner, Mr. Beeman rode with me to Mallory’s Shop to see Mr. Brown of Hawleyville about insurance on his furniture. We then arranged with James Scott and Nellie Schumacher for renewal of their house and furniture on Starr Avenue for July 2nd. Then I called on Mrs. Frank Klopp on Maple Avenue and took up her policy as she intends to break up and go to California to be with her husband who is there. Just at night, William H. Smith of Bethel and William Humphries of Danbury, both comrades of George S. Purdy came with George to my office and made affidavits on his behalf as to bladder trouble contracted in the army in the matter of his application for pension. The day has been a good one to guess on lowery with an occasional sprinkle but not enough to lay the dust. JUNE 29 WEDNESDAY - Rain during last night and this morning and somewhat warmer than yesterday. It cleared away about noon. After dinner, Mr. Beeman going with me, I drove over to Mr. Dunn’s beyond Hull’s Hill to collect on insurance but did not succeed. We then went up to Morris Street to arrange for renewal of Stephen Stuckey’s dwelling and barn and from there to Padaranum Avenue to collect form Mrs. Quinn. She promised for next Saturday. Then to Osborne Street and Locust Avenue to see John Mazzia who is sick. He cannot pay and will be obliged to cancel. It was warm and muggy in the PM. JUNE 30 THURSDAY - Mercury 65. Lowery and muggy. George brought from the Post Office this morning a draft of $45.00 from George Shaw, special agent of the Agricultural Insurance Company, in payment of the Wodzilowski loss, which occurred on June 18th. Fannie called in the PM. I made up the cancellation of Rufus Rice’s policy on furniture, No. 996398 in the Greenwich Insurance Company and forwarded by mail to the Commercial Union Assurance Company, reinsurers of the Greenwich Insurance Company. About 7PM, Morris Wodzilowski called in response to a postal sent him this morning for a draft in the payment of his loss. I took his application as to name, age, and place of birth for a policy of life insurance which he promises to take in 4 weeks or sooner. Rufus Reed came in the evening and paid his life insurance premium due today, ad before I closed the office, I wrote a check to send to William Schiffler, the cashier of the Equitable Life Insurance Company at New Haven to pay the same. I have felt comfortable but am still very weak. I have not been off the premises today, attended to office only.






Purdy, Horace, 1835-1909. “Horace Purdy Journal June 1904 Entry.” Horace Purdy Journals, MS 044. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 21 Feb. 2020.

Document Viewer


Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.