Bicentennial sermon : preached before the First Congregational Church, August 24, 1904 by the Pastor Rev. Henry Tucker Arnold, together with the proceedings at the anniversary. / by Rev. Henry T. Arnold

Dublin Core

Creator

Description

30 p. 19 cm

Abstract

The First Church of Christ of Plainfield was established in 1705. The Town of Quinebaug, now Plainfield, had already been incorporated in 1699, although it did not yet have an established church or meeting house. The first meeting house was begun in 1702 on Black Hill and took seven years to be finished. In 1720, the church was moved to a more central position on the turnpike and that structure lasted sixty years. In 1784, a new church, half a mile to the south, was completed, but was blown down in the September gale of 1815. A new and sturdier church, constructed of stone, was completed on the same spot in 1819 and continues today as the First Congregational Church of Plainfield.

This volume contains a detailed history of the parish from its founding to 1904.

http://historicbuildingsct.com/?p=7352
Contains Poem" by Henry M. Witter"

Date

1905

Publisher

Identifier

b30792770
F104.P53 A76

Files

BICENTENNIAL-SERMON001.jpg

Collection

Citation

Arnold, Henry T. “Bicentennial sermon : preached before the First Congregational Church, August 24, 1904 by the Pastor Rev. Henry Tucker Arnold, together with the proceedings at the anniversary. / by Rev. Henry T. Arnold.” Rare Books. WCSU Archives, 5 Dec. 2019. Accessed on the Web: 6 Dec. 2019.

Geolocation

Embed

Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.