Horace Purdy Journal September 1868 Entry

Dublin Core




SEPTEMBER 01 TUESDAY - I have worked in the shop. Arranged with the Danbury Savings Bank to let my note lie over until October 1st. It is due the 4th of this month. I went up to see John Cosier in the evening to see about endorsing a note for me. He consented. SEPTEMBER 02 WEDNESDAY - I worked in the shop. Left work to go to the Danbury Bank with a note of Cosier endorsing, but could not get the money. I wanted $350.00. News from the Vermont election reports from 8 to 10 thousand increase in Republican majority last year in the polls. Guns were fired over Vermont. Mother came down and was with us to tea. The balance of 5 tons of coal came from Griffing today. SEPTEMBER 03 THURSDAY - To New York; cloudy in the morning, rain in the P.M. I brought up a 16x20 walnut and gilt frame for Eben Barnum, also a singing book, 'Revivalist' for Magee. FRIDAY - Stormy. I have worked in the shop. I stopped about 10 o'clock long enough to go to the Pahquioque Bank and take up my note of $350.00 by giving one of Father Griswold. The papers give us today the news of the death of ex -Governor Thomas H. Seymour. This morning, I paid Mr. Pond $10.00, $7.30 being for a box of soap he bought for me in New York the remaining $2.70 to stand on account to my credit. SEPTEMBER 05 SATURDAY - I have worked in the shop. It came off pleasant at noon. A Grant and Colfax banner was raised at Concert Hall. A Mr. Adams and one Taney from New York spoke. A torchlight procession in the evening. SEPTEMBER 06 SUNDAY - I attended church in the morning and Sunday School at noon after which I came home with Georgie. Gussie came down with him to Sunday School. She stayed in the P.M. After tea, we took a walk with Georgie over to Spring Street. Gussie called at Henry Hinman's to see their baby who is sick with dysentery. At the same time I called on Daniel Manly. I took a leaflet of music to Mr. Lockwood in the evening, but I did not stay to meeting. SEPTEMBER 07 MONDAY - Showers in the morning; pleasant in the P.M. I worked in the shop in the A.M. There being no work in the P.M., I took the noon train to New York. Daniel, my boy in the store, gave me a mess of fish to bring home which he and his father caught yesterday. SEPTEMBER 08 TUESDAY - Cool in the morning. Nearly all the shops in the village adjourned to turn out in large numbers to scour the mountains and swamps in the vicinity of Brookfield for the Negro who last night committed a rape on Mrs. Russell Wildman. The search was a fruitless one. Georgie was last night taken with diarrhea and vomiting. Mrs. Bradley called this evening and paid me ___ of the seat rent. She is to wait and see if George pays and if not, then she pays her half of the six months, after which time, I give up my claim and her bargain thereafter is with Charles Stevens. George turned out to hunt the Negro today. Before breakfast, I wrote to Edmund Palmer about buying my New York picture business. SEPTEMBER 09 WEDNESDAY - Cloudy all day. I worked in the factory until noon and then took the train to Stamford to see Edmund Palmer. The business being new to him, he concludes not to buy me out. It being misty and almost rain at noon, I borrowed an umbrella of Robert Cowan, but had but little use for it. Finally it rained a little in Stamford about 6 o'clock. I talked on the corner of West and New Street on my way home with Clark Beers about my store; he has some idea of buying. Gussie sick with dysentery, apparently. Before retiring, I wrote to William Hayes at the store. SEPTEMBER 10 THURSDAY - Rain during last night and this morning. A part of the day has been pleasant. A thundershower this evening. I mailed the letter I wrote last night this morning. I have worked hard in the shop. George finished canvassing William and George Street for me today. I sent the list to the Club Room by him this evening. I being very tired, he did our marketing for us and I stayed at home this evening. SEPTEMBER 11 FRIDAY - Showery at times during the day; very warm. An Irishman called 'Fancy Pat', while crossing the stream near the factory on a timber, being intoxicated, fell into the stream. Had it not been for the factory hands (who were looking at him and expected him to fall in) going to his assistance, he would have drowned. One of our apprentices, Edward White, was first to him. George took the train this morning for Yonkers where he has secured work at Waring & Nichols. I bought 4 gallons of kerosene oil of Mr. Pond at 55 cents. SEPTEMBER 12 SATURDAY - The sun has been hot; summer all over again. I have been to New York. I framed and brought up with me two pictures ' 16x20, two inch walnut and gilt, one for Saul G. Bailey, 'Soldiers' Testimonial', the other for Mrs. Cyrus White entitled 'The Motherless', a picture she has taken the agency for and intends canvassing. I brought a bottle of whiskey for William Hutchings to carry out a joke in the shop between us concerning him and James Purcell, a rum-seller on the corner of Varick and King Streets in New York. I also brought two packages for Elijah Morris, one of them being candy for his little girl from his folks in the city. Walter Sparks told me that Fred Jennings threatened to sue me for talking about him. I despise him and treat him with silent contempt. It is this and not slander that enrages him. I am not concerned for what I may have said in fact, and besides, he knows he owes me $10.00 for rent; it is this that makes the trouble. Thief he is for blandly denying the debt. It is for three months' rent for January to April, 1859. See Ledger Account, page 29. I saw Gussie sick and the doctor at the house tonight when I came home from the depot. SEPTEMBER 13 SUNDAY - Very warm again. After breakfast, I went down to the church with the Sunday School papers and over to Elijah Morris with the packages I bought for him last evening. I attended church this morning. I gave to Mr. Lockwood, our chorister, the 30 leaflets from Bigelow & Main's specimen pieces of music from 'Chapel Melodies'. Gussie being sick, I came home from Sunday School. After tea, I took a walk with Georgie around the square, stopping a few minutes at John Bouton's. SEPTEMBER 14 MONDAY - I have worked in the shop. Two letters for George, I mailed to Yonkers this evening. I bought a new rope for my bucket. Bought this book for a journal and began copying from paper up to this time. Maine election. SEPTEMBER 15 - Worked in the shop. Georgie was last night taken with dysentery, it being just 5 years that Eddie died of the same complaint. Mrs. Amos Purdy was in to see him this evening. Jollification at torchlight procession this evening over Maine election which is reported to be 23,000 Republicans. This is a 12,000 gain over last year. The rejoicing was kept up to a late hour amid cheers, shooting Roman candles, and speaking by a Mr. Dellman of New York on the steps of the Wooster House. He is a war Democrat, opposed to Seymour and will, he says, vote for Grant. His democratic friends are highly indignant at him. SEPTEMBER 16 MONDAY - Gussie was up with Georgie all night. I did not undress or go to bed, but lay on the lounge. He is very sick. I have worked in the shop. I mailed a letter to William this morning; sent it to the Office by Mr. Sherman. There was a little rain in the forenoon. It came off cold in the P.M. I went to market in the evening. I saw Clark Beers in Billy Raymond's; he has not yet heard from his New York folks concerning buying me out. I got two oranges which I sent to Norwalk for by Robert Cowan, the only two to be found there or here. They cost 10 cents each, very small at that. I want them for Benjamin Rolfe's little girl who is sick. SEPTEMBER 17 THURSDAY - Cold last night and this morning, but no frost on account of the wind, though the air has been cold enough. Chilly all day. Work begins to give back; we were stopped after a half day's work. I went up home in the P.M. for some tomatoes. We want to put them up in airtight jars for winter use. I hoed out my strawberry bed before tea. I went to the Post Office in the evening; also to see Dr. Bulkely for instruction about giving medicine to Georgie. We try to think him a little better though he is very sick. Sarah Purdy came over in the evening to sit up a part if not all the night with Georgie. Gussie was up last night and I am nearly sick myself. The Soldier's Record having come for George, I mailed it to him this evening to Yonkers. SEPTEMBER 18 FRIDAY - Our first frost this morning; the day has been pleasant. Cool but warmer than yesterday. Sarah Purdy watched with Georgie in company with Gussie last night. I went to bed last night with a headache; have had it today but have worked in the shop. Our work being limited, I finished about 3 o'clock. Mother Griswold and Fanny came home from Bloomfield by the evening train. John Bouton borrowed my gun this evening to go for pigeons tomorrow. SEPTEMBER 19 SATURDAY - A lovely day, though cool in the morning. I have been to New York. Clark Beers' wife and baby were on the train with me to New York, going to her mother who is not expected to live. I came home on the 3 o'clock train. I bought a piece of cloth of John Gilbert at Georgetown for Henry Stone. I brought two frames for Harriet Mills. Georgie is better. SEPTEMBER 20 SUNDAY - Fanny stayed with Georgie last night so that Gussie and I had a good night's rest. Gussie did not go to church at all. I went down to Sunday School, but returned after its close. Father came down to see Georgie in the P.M. but returned before tea. After tea, Gussie went over to see Frank Bouton who has a little girl born on Thursday night last, the 17th. It commenced raining after dinner and continued during the day. Georgie is still better today. Mrs. Bradley called this morning to see how he was and Mrs. Daniel Starr at noon. After tea, I wrote to George telling him how sick Georgie had been. I enclosed to him his gold pen which he left home when he went away. SEPTEMBER 21 MONDAY - I stayed up with Georgie last night. Pleasant but cool today. I have worked in the shop. Our work being now limited, I finished mine about 3 o'clock. Doctor came a few minutes after I came home. He pronounced Georgie better and recommended a bird for him. I immediately took my gun and started to get one. I wrote and mailed a note to Southmayd and Company in New York with $2.50 enclosed with which to advertise. I also wrote to William at the store. SEPTEMBER 22 TUESDAY - Gussie sat up last night with Georgie. I have worked in the shop as yesterday until about the middle of the P.M., our work now being limited. The Negro who committed the outrage on the wife of Russell Wildman on Great Plain about two weeks ago was today brought to town and lodged in jail. He was caught in Canaan, a town in this state by another Negro and brought here. Later : it is yet to be known whether he is the guilty one or not. Before tea, Father Griswold and I ground his scythe for me to mow my dooryard as soon as I get time. Georgie is about the same as yesterday. We have fed him some bird, the broth and some toast which we must wait until tomorrow to see the effect. It commenced raining about 7 o'clock this evening. I went to market and to the Post Office this evening. Louise stayed a part of the evening with us. SEPTEMBER 23 WEDNESDAY - Rain this morning. I stayed with Georgie last night. I slept a good portion of the time in the lounge beside his bed. I have worked in the shop but finished all we could get before noon. I stayed with Georgie in the P.M. to let Gussie go to the dress maker, Mrs. McNeil. Just at night, I took my gun and started to get Georgie a bird, but could not so I got two red squirrels and came home. I wrote to William after dinner, directing him to put it in (my store) as many agents' hands as he could to sell for me. SEPTEMBER 24 THURSDAY - Cloudy all day. It commenced raining in the P.M. I have worked in the shop. I came home about 4 P.M. and went up home to get a chicken for Georgie, but Mother killed the one she had been saving for me, so I came home without it, but brought a few potatoes in the basket instead. Georgie has been dressed today for the first time since he was taken sick. He sat up too long and got very tired. I went to market in the evening. It was about 9 o'clock before the train came in the evening. The Northern and Housatonic Railroad commenced today running trains from here to Brookfield in connection with the Danbury and Norwalk Railroad. While waiting for the train to come with the mail, I went into Concert Hall to see James Meany paint a Republican banner for Ridgefield. He has just completed a fine one for us which will be raised on Saturday in front of the Turner House. SEPTEMBER 25 FRIDAY - It rained very hard this morning. I had intended to go to New York, but the rain prevented me. I did not have my clothes off last night, but lay on the lounge. I have worked in the shop. SEPTEMBER 26 SATURDAY - It rained hard last night. Some appearance of clearing off in the morning, but it rained again in the P.M. and in the evening. I have been to New York; I bought 6 copies of 'Two Years With Jesus' for Edmund's class; also two copies of the last edition (smaller size) and five hymn books. I went down to Richardson & Boynton in Water Street near Beekman for a set of No. 1 Opal Ranges fine brick for myself. I also left for sale my store with Hall & Buckle, real estate brokers, 101 Beekman Street. SEPTEMBER 27 SUNDAY - Stormy; it rained last night and has continued through today. Georgie is doing well so far as the dysentery goes, but he is very weak and he gains strength very slow. I went to Sunday School at noon but the attendance was very small. No lessons were heard or books exchanged. Brother Starr opened the school with singing a prayer. Benjamin F. Bailey talked to the school. John B. Merwin preached in the morning. I came home after Sunday School. Father came down to see us after tea. As he went home, I walked with him to Deer Hill. As he proceeded home, I went down Wooster Street, Main and West and then home again for a walk. I found Mrs. Bradley at the house on a call to see Georgie. We did not go out in the evening, but stayed at home. Father being out of coal, I last evening let him have a wheelbarrow load. SEPTEMBER 28 MONDAY - Pleasant. Before breakfast, I took my gun and went to Oil Mill Pond, Terry's Woods and vicinity to get a bird for Georgie to eat but could not find one. I was gone over two hours and came home to breakfast with a headache. I went to the shop, but there was no work for the men. I stayed about an hour when the foreman gave me a dozen to finish. I worked to finish them until 3 o'clock suffering with a severe headache. I was too sick to eat a mouthful at noon although I had my dinner with me and yet I worked. The widow of the late Hiram Cole was found in the river this morning about 9 o'clock near J. W. Ives Lumberyard, drowned. It is supposed that she committed suicide by jumping in at the rear of her garden which runs down to the water. Her home is on Elm Street opposite George Starr's. A small Irish boy about ___ years old, son of ___ was also drowned on Saturday in the same stream but lower down. He was carrying dinner to his father and while crossing the timbers which span the stream going over from the Pahquioque Hat Factory to the Bartram and Fanton Sewing Machine Factory, fell in. His body was floated down the ___ Shop before it could be stopped and recovered. Tom Thumb and wife, Commodore Grant and Minnie Warren show this P.M. and evening. I wrote to George in the evening. Gussie went to market and returned with a letter for me from George. I added a reply in the letter already written. While Gussie was in the street, I went into the woodhouse and cut some wads for my gun. SEPTEMBER 29 TUESDAY - A beautiful day. I shot a robin for Georgie before breakfast on the sweet apple tree near Father Griswold's barn. My work in the shop lasted until about 10 o'clock. I then came home and fixed up and took the noon train to New York. I had about 20 minutes at the store. William told me of a looking glass which disappeared while Daniel was alone in the store. I am getting suspicious of Dan. Josephine Dare was on the train for New York this evening. I assisted her and a lady friend off the train at Bethel. Constable Charles H. Crosby met me at the depot this evening and notified me of the repairs needed to the walks in William Street. My walks, Father Griswold's and Mr. Pond's need repairs. The trouble is with Saul Barnum. Mrs. Bradley called in the evening. Also Emily Anderson to inquire about Elisha Serine who has applied to her to rent her upper rooms. SEPTEMBER 30 WEDNESDAY - Pleasant. I lay on the lounge beside Georgie last night and took care of him. Before breakfast, I wrote to William requesting him if he was able to trace the missing looking glass which I suspect Daniel the boy of stealing. I had work nearly all day in the shop. I went from the shop over to Town Hill to Cyrus White's for 30 green peppers for Gussie to make ___ of. A Mr. Latimer from out west came home today with Father Griswold to make a visit. He is an old family friend who Mother Griswold has not seen for 40 years. I went to market in the evening and brought home my clock which I had cleaned and a new mainspring. Bell came in about 9 o'clock after I returned from the street and said that Harriet had brought over from Mrs. Townsend's school some clothes ' coat, pants, boots, shoes and slippers - which if they would fit me, I could have if I would go up home with her. Accordingly, I went with her and brought home a pair of pants, a coat, a pair of boots and overshoes, 2 pair of shoes and a pair of slippers






Purdy, Horace, 1835-1909. “Horace Purdy Journal September 1868 Entry.” Horace Purdy Journals, MS 044. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 28 Jan. 2020.

Document Viewer


Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.