Horace Purdy Journal December 1868 Entry

Dublin Core




DECEMBER 01 TUESDAY - Cold and but little sunshine; it has frozen all day. There were a few flakes of snow to be seen this morning, and I thus looked for snowstorm before night. I have worked in the shop. I took two small passe-partouts to Alfred Targett that he engaged of me. He paid me for them ' 50 cents. As I came home from work, I stopped at Benjamin Rolfe's and got my gun and shot pouch and powder flask which I lent to him on Thanksgiving Day. Though it has threatened snow during the day, the evening has been pleasant, the moon shining brightly. Gussie went to market in the evening. I sent to the Post office by her, four soldier's records to mail to George. I laced some new straps on my old boots before retiring. DECEMBER 02 MONDAY - Cloudy and cold again today. I have worked in the shop. The boys have been skating on the creek below the factory today for the first time this season. After tea, I went down to Swift's for the Sunday School papers, went home and marked them off. After the arrival of the mail, I went down to the Office, Louise staying in the house, Gussie being at the Sewing Society at S. G. Baileys'. DECEMBER 03 THURSDAY - Pleasant but still cold. The ground has been for the past 3 days frozen very hard and has not in the same time thawed even in the middle of the day. I have worked in the shop. Gussie has been up home today with Georgie. She drew him in his old carriage. She left him there with mother and took her muff down to Mrs. John Carpenter to be made over. I received a letter this P.M. from William at the store, stating that Daniel has not yet returned from his Thanksgiving visit in the country. He promised to return on Monday, but has not yet arrived. Mr. Pond came in the evening and we had a long talk about my New York business, the prospect of selling, etc. We concluded that I had better drop a line to Reuben W. Holmes to meet me at the depot on Saturday morning and go to the city and look at my business, which I did and l mailed it when I went down to market. This is the eleventh anniversary of my marriage. DECEMBER 04 FRIDAY - Not quite so cold I think. Cloudy and indicative of snow. I had work in the shop until after 2 P.M. I then borrowed $80.00 of Mr. Crofut. I took his check and went to the Pahquioque Bank and drew it. I then came home and brought our hen and 8 chickens (which Mother gave me) from Father Griswold's woodshed down to our woodhouse. I took down the outside tin leader from the sink upstairs and cleaned it out, it being stopped up in the lead pipe leading from the sink to the outside leader. Gussie bought 10 bushels of charcoal today. While we were in the woodhouse with the chickens, Reuben Holmes called to tell me in answer to a note I wrote to him last evening that he would go to New York tomorrow and look at my store with a view of buying me out. After tea, I went down to the church with lesson books, etc. Henry Hinman went down with me to get our old Sunday School Hymn Books for the Young Men's Christian Association which we have given them. I went to the Post Office and to Crofut's for 6 pounds of cracked corn for chickens and came home. I then went over to the school house with Mr. Pond for some maps he wants to send by me to 654 Broadway, Charles Scribner's & Company which he is returning. DECEMBER 05 SATURDAY - The ground was covered with snow this morning and it has snowed and rained at times all day. I have been to New York. Reuben W. Holmes, who promised to go with me to the city today and look at my store, did not go. The snowstorm doubtless prevented him from coming to the depot so early this morning. I took down to Charles Scribner's on Broadway near Bleeker Street for Mr. Pond some maps which he bought a while ago and exchanged for some others which he has received. I also took some mats down for Swift which Handler made for him and made them wrong. Harriet came into the store about 3 P.M. and brought some pictures for me to frame. She left a bundle of clothing for me to bring to Bell. The trains being blocked at 42nd Street, I left them and went across to 3rd Avenue and took the horse car. This is the second snow but the first that promised sleighing. My commutation having run out, I paid my fare on the Danbury & Norwalk railroad, but on the New Haven, the conductor said nothing to me about my ticket so I did nothing and paid no passage. DECEMBER 06 SUNDAY - Pleasant in the morning but cloudy in the P.M. with the appearance of snow. I went down to church between 11 and 12 A.M. I performed my customary duties in Sunday School and then came home to stay with Georgie, Gussie having gone to the afternoon meeting. I shoveled my paths in the yard this morning, leaving the sidewalk until after tea this P.M. There were 6 inches of snow on the ground this morning. Yesterday P.M. and today has been our first sleighing. Emily Anderson's father, Daniel Anderson, died this morning about 6 o'clock with typhoid fever. DECEMBER 07 MONDAY - Cloudy last night and this morning, it commenced snowing about the middle of the forenoon. It turned to rain before night. I have worked in the shop until 3 P.M. Mr. Daniel Anderson was buried this P.M. at 1 o'clock. Gussie, with her folks, went. George Starr sent his carriage and man to bring home Mother Griswold, Louise and Gussie. A special Sunday School Teachers' meeting to make arrangements for a Sunday School festival exhibition or something of the kind during the holidays. It still being stormy, which with the melting snow made it so bad that but few were present, nothing definite was done. I wrote and mailed a letter to William at the store. An old woman, a distressed object, wife of Simeon Heddy, was today run over and killed by Isaac W. Ives' double team which was drawing lumber. The horses were running away. The driver was also hurt. DECEMBER 08 TUESDAY - Clouds, squalls and sunshine. It did not freeze any last night. I worked in the shop in the forenoon; there being but one dozen, I then came home. Susan Brayman was here to dinner. I went down to the church in the P.M. and got one of the old Sunday School drawers, which were formerly under the seats, and brought home and made some cleats for it, preparatory to putting it up under my bench at the shop. I went into the street in the evening. I waited for the mail and came home with letters for Mr. Pond and one for Bell which I carried up home to her in order that I might hear something from George as the letter was from him. He tells Bell that I must be paid $50.00 per month until I am paid what he owes me, the payments to commence with January, 1869. I got one dozen yeast cakes of Mother for Mrs. Pond and came home. DECEMBER 09 WEDNESDAY - Pleasant but windy. I went to the depot this morning, intending that if Reuben Holmes of King Street came, to go with him to New York to see my store. He did not come, so I went to the shop and worked until about 2 P.M. and came home. Gussie went to the Sewing Society at David Osborne's. I went to the Post Office. Louise stayed with Georgie until I returned. She went home before Gussie returned. DECEMBER 10 THURSDAY - Pleasant but very cold. It has not thawed during the day, though the sun has shone. I went to the depot again this morning to go to New York if Holmes came to go with me, but he did not come, so I went to the shop again today. We had but one dozen each. I finished mine before dinner and came home. After the train left this morning, I went up to Mr. Williams, the Railroad treasurer, and left $45.00 with him to end to New York for my N.Y. & N. H. commutation ticket, the last 6 months of my year ending May 31, 1869. I wrote for the P.M. mail a letter to William at the store. I mailed it and did some trading, molasses, raisins, etc. and came home. In the evening, I went into the street to get my commutation ticket from Mr. Williams which I expected this evening, but did not get it. When I returned, I sorted over my apples for Gussie to prepare for mince pies. DECEMBER 11 FRIDAY - It is still very cold weather with appearance of snow.I went to the depot again this morning, but not seeing Holmes, I went to the shop. Williams, the railroad ticket agent had not as I expected got my commutation ticket for New York. They said my name had been omitted and they wanted my old ticket sent on before they would forward the new one. I left it with Mr. Williams and he gave me a card on which certificate that I had paid him for the ticket which will pass me for the NY & NH Railroad until I get the new ticket. I had work until 2 P.M. when I came home with the headache. Albert Marsh cashed my account and he will draw it tomorrow in my stead. Having the headache, I stayed home in the evening and let Gussie and Louise go to market. Before retiring, I went over to Mr. Pond's and got a list of school books he wants me to get for him tomorrow in New York. DECEMBER 12 SATURDAY - Pleasant but still cold. I have been to New York. I bought some school books for Mr. Pond at 42 John Street. I brought up mats for Swift also, 1 16x20 rustic and gilt and 1 11x14 rustic and gilt. I brought 4 sample frames with mounted gold corners made of 1 inch beaded walnut with one inch inside for Swift and Hamelin Bedient & Couch. After tea, I went back into the street to George Hull's for a new Northern Light Stove grate. I came up West Street with Isaac Jennings, helping him carry some store fixtures. Bell came up from Bethel on the evening train. She helped me carry some of my packages as far as D. P. Nichols' store where I met Mr. Pond and Miss Camp. He then took a part of my bundles. After tea, I went into the street again for a new grate to the Northern Light. DECEMBER 13 SUNDAY - A beautiful winter day; a little warmer. Before breakfast, I let the fire out in the sitting room and put in the new grate I got last night at George Hull's. I went down to Sunday School at noon. It was our monthly concert or prayer meeting. After school, I came home, leaving Gussie to stay in the P.M. Georgie was upstairs with Henry Hinman until I came home. Gussie went up home on Deer Hill to prayer meeting at 5 o'clock. We all stayed at home in the evening. Sturdivant's barn was burned this P.M. over to Beaverbrook. DECEMBER 14 MONDAY - Not so much sunshine today but warmer the wind being south. I have worked in the shop. I finished my work about 2 P.M. I came home and took the 8x10 1/12 beaded walnut frames with one inch gilt inside and gold mounted corners to Hamelin, Couch and Benedict. I had one for Swift also, but it was damaged so I brought it home again to take back with me to repair. I got a vial of acid for soldering at Charles Hull's. I called on Williams at the railroad depot to see if my commutation ticket had come from New York. It had, but it being in the ticket office and that not being open, I am to get it the next time I go down. I attended our regular Sunday School Teachers' meeting this evening at which arrangements were made for a Christmas gathering at the church, a Christmas tree, etc. As I came home from the said meeting, it was snowing a little. DECEMBER 15 TUESDAY - A small snow squall; aside from that, the day has been pleasant and warmer than for some days past. It thawed considerably in the middle of the day. Before breakfast, I wrote to Reuben Holmes of King Street to see if he intended to go to New York and look at my store. I mailed it as I went to the shop. Before night, he called at the house to say that at present he had business and that I need not depend on him as a purchaser for my store. I came from work and found Gussie down with a sick headache. I got my tea myself and cleared away the table. I then wrote to William at the store and went into the street and mailed it. I then saw George Ryder about the time of the First Church holding their Christmas festival for the Sunday School. I called to see what Potter would charge for a piano for our use at the Sunday School gathering on Christmas Eve. I then called on Brother Burch and communicated what I had done to him and we made some arrangements about purchasing the candy for our cornucopia for the occasion. DECEMBER 16 WEDNESDAY - Cloudy most of the day; a little flurry of snow. I have worked in the shop. I started early to mail a letter to George from the Post Office. I went to the depot and got my commutation ticket for the 6 months ended May 31, 1869. Mr. Williams, the ticket agent here, sent for it for me. From the depot, I went directly to the shop arriving there before daylight. I had work all day in the shop. Gussie has been at the church this P.M. arranging for the Oyster Supper this evening under the auspices of the Soldiers Aid Society. I got my tea and Georgie's and we were eating when she got home. After tea, she returned again to be in attendance during the evening. I, feeling too poor, did not go. About 8 o'clock, I went to the Post Office and mailed a letter to William at the store to have him see some of the leading confectioners as to the price of mixed candy by the 40 or 50 lbs. I want it for the Sunday School Christmas Festival. I helped (after returning from the Post Office) Mr. Pond build a snow shovel in his back yard. DECEMBER 17 THURSDAY - Icy in the morning from the little rain they had last evening. It has been warmer and has thawed more today than for some time past. We have had but one dozen in the shop today. I finished mine before dinner and came home. In the P.M., Gussie went down to the church to help clean up from last evening's Oyster Supper. I stayed with Georgie and fixed the lock to the outside door which goes upstairs and put a lock on the drawer I have been making to put under my bench at the shop. I went into the street in the evening. Received a letter from William. I walked up from the street with Charles Purdy and talked with him about going to my store in New York. DECEMBER 18 FRIDAY - Pleasant with the exception of a snow squall in the middle of the day. I have worked in the shop. Albert Marsh cashed my account as I shall not be here tomorrow when they pay off. After tea, I went into the street. I waited for the mail, then went over to the church (where Mr. Lockwood was singing with the children preparatory to Christmas) to see Brother Burch about the candy for the cornucopias for the Christmas tree. DECEMBER 19 SATURDAY - Pleasant but cold. I have been to New York. I took back to the store one of the 8x10 1" gilt and mounted corners for repairs, the corners being broken by a fall. It is one of the 4 I brought up for Hamelin Bedient , Couch and Swift for samples. I called at the book room for the Sunday School Journals, also at Bigelow & Main's 425 Browne Street for 2 fresh laurels for Johnny Holmes and ___Starr. Also at Phillips' for a 'Singing Pilgrim and Musical Leaves Combined' for another Sunday School scholar. I went up to 111 West 30th Street to see Mrs. Field about framing her pictures. She was not at home. I discharged Daniel J. Minnerly, my gilder. I paid Galen Terry my December rent. I called to see Benjamin Ryder about framing advertising placards. I brought an 8x10 oval gold frame with national emblems, eagles, etc., to Swift. After I had my tea, Gussie and Louise went over to Robert Cocking for some celery. I marked off Sunday School Journals before retiring. DECEMBER 20 SUNDAY - Stormy. A little snow about 8 A.M. It soon turned to rain which froze as it came making it very icy. Just at night, it stopped freezing but continued to rain. I went down to Sunday School at noon and came home again after the session. Gussie left Georgie up to Mother Griswold's and came down before school was out and stayed to prayer meeting in the P.M. Mr. Pond subscribed this morning to the Sunday School Journal; I brought the back numbers to him form the Sunday School. DECEMBER 21 MONDAY - Pleasant. I have worked in the shop. I finished my work at noon. After coming home, I went into the street again to look at a stove at J. M. Ives, contemplating an exchange of the one we have in the Librarian's Rom at the church, it being too short for the wood we have to burn. I called at Bedient's Photograph Gallery for a frame I sold to him. The gilt inside having two shades, I am to put in new. In the evening, I read in 'Saturday Night', an advertisement for agents by W. Chichester, 266 Broadway, New York, sample and terms sent free. I wrote to William at the store also. Gussie collected a bill of $7.25 for me in the evening from Swift for frames. DECEMBER 22 TUESDAY - Pleasant. I mailed a letter this morning in time for the mail. From the Office, I went to the shop and took with me a drawer to put up under my bench which I did. I was at the shop before daylight. I had work nearly all day. While we were at tea, Mrs. Bradley and her sister, Mrs. Williams came in to see if I had any pictures to sell. I took Mrs. Williams down to the church with me to look at one I had in the Librarian's Room. I sold it to her; rather she says she will come for it before Christmas. I brought it home with me and cleaned it up for her at my house awaiting Sunday. As we came from the church with the picture, I took an evergreen branch form among the greens brought for Christmas by Brother Bartram and brought it home to make a Christmas tree for Georgie. DECEMBER 23 WEDNESDAY - Snow this morning, but before noon, it came off pleasant. I have worked in the shop. The hat I yesterday finished for Daniel Minnerly, I got trimmed today and brought it home with me. I went down to church in the evening to see how they were progressing with trimming it with greens. I went up to Fanton's Jewelry and Book Store and borrowed until next time I go to New York, A 'Singing Pilgrim and Musical Leaves' for George Davis. I promised one tomorrow which I hope will come. DECEMBER 24 THURSDAY - Pleasant but cold. I worked in the shop until noon and then came home and built a box for Georgie's sled to draw him down to the church to the Christmas festival. I went down and mailed a letter to William at the store and then went to church and assisted in preparing for the festival in the evening. I borrowed George Starr's horse and sleigh and took a letter up to Bell. After tea, I went to the barber's and got my hair cut. From there I went to the church to tend door. We took in $19.20 at the door. The festival passed off pleasantly. Charles Hoyt was dressed for Santa Claus and made fun for all. I borrowed a piano stool of Potter for use at the church. Before retiring, we put our Christmas presents on the tree, dressing it for tomorrow morning and retired. DECEMBER 25 FRIDAY - Christmas Day. We rose late. I went over before breakfast to see Mr. Pond's Christmas tree. While we were eating Mr. Pond came over to see ours. About 10 o'clock. I went down to the church and took the piano stool which I borrowed home to Mr. Potter. I called at Brother Burch's for the candy bill, also for the printing programmes, songs, etc., after which I went to the Jeffersonian Office and paid $6.00. I then went to the Post Office and over to Hamelin's store where I helped him join some frames. I told him of Almark Root (?) to collar (?) his oil for walnut frames. I had a talk in the store with Sylvester Harris about buying my store in New York. I came home about 2 P.M. and we took dinner with Father Griswold. He told me to pay the interest on the note in the Danbury Savings bank up to April next at which time he would see that the note was paid. After dinner, which was about 3 o'clock, I went to Swift's for the Sunday School Advocates. From there, I went over to George Starr's and paid him $15.00 for the 50 lbs. of candy used at the Christmas festival with which he sends a draft to Snow in new Haven for the same. I then, after staying and talking with him about an hour, went to the church and got Father Griswold's old coat which Charles Hoyt wore last night as a part of dress last night when he assumed the role of Santa Claus. After Georgie was put to bed, Gussie and I went over to see Mr. Pond's Christmas tree, and then over to Mr. Seifert's which was lighted with tapers in true German style. Then Gussie started out to see Mrs. Bradley at Andrew Williams' in Montgomery Street. Mr. Pond gave me $17.00 with which to get 3 Chromos (note - Chromolithographs) for him in New York for the school house. DECEMBER 26 SATURDAY - Pleasant. I have been to New York I got 2 more 'Singing Pilgrims and Musical leaves Combined' at Phillip Phillips'. Also a Discipline at the Book Room. I have orders at the church for them. I delivered a letter for H. B. Fanton to Fred Lewis in a shirt store upstairs in Broadway between 8th and 9th Street. I bought 3 chromos for Mr. Pond, 'The Old Oaken Bucket', 'Home, Sweet Home', and 'Sunlight in Winter'. I am to frame them for him which will take about a week. I took Daniel Minnerly back into my employ today. One of the 'Singing Pilgrims', I brought him, I left at Fanton's Store for one I borrowed of him last week. The other is for Sylvester Harris. The Discipline is for Widow Curtis. I brought up the frame for Mr. Bedient which I took down this morning to change the inside. I left it at Hamelin's Store for him. Louise met me at the depot. She came expecting Fanny on the train from New Haven, but she did not come. The Christmas tree was emptied today and the toys given to Georgie and tonight every toy that is capable of being destroyed by him is broken up by him. Before retiring, I went over to Mr. Pond's and reported to him what I had done concerning his chromos. He paid me the balance of the cost of them - $11.00. I commenced a letter to William just before retiring. DECEMBER 27 SUNDAY - Very cold last night and this morning. It has stormed most of the day (snow). I went down to Sunday School at noon after which I came home to stay with Georgie while Gussie stayed to the afternoon meeting. The brood of small chickens we have had in the woodhouse, I this evening, put into the cellar as several of them have died; we think frozen to death. I went to church in the evening. As I went, I mailed the letter I mast evening wrote to William at the store in New York. I came home with Louise. It is warmer this evening. There has only been about an inch of snow fallen during the day. Eleven years ago this night, brother John died. DECEMBER 28 MONDAY - Pleasant and quite warm so that the little snow that had fallen yesterday packed nicely and the sleighing is splendid. I finished my work in the shop before dinner. I stopped on my way home at the car shop to see if William Warren was ready for the book he subscribed for in November, 'Outline of the United States Government'. I had some talk with him about Lottie Keeler's intended husband buying my store in New York. In the P.M., I put Georgie on his sled and drew him up to see Mother Purdy. We stayed a short time and then returned. I brought 10 yeast cakes down for Mrs. Lawson. I then went into the street and collected $1.80 from Bedient the artist. DECEMBER 29 TUESDAY - Cloudy and smoky in the morning. I have worked in the shop. It has snowed apart of the day. In the evening, it was clear and mild, a lovely evening. Edward R. Hunniston, a shop mate, gave me his wife's picture in a frame and directed me to stop at William Bedient's Gallery and get one of himself and frame the both in a pair of frames I had at home, which I did and carried them to Jerry Bonds in the evening when he promises to call for them. I wrote to William at the store and mailed it. I received a bill from D. P. Nichols for the balance of my account, $24.61. DECEMBER 30 WEDNESDAY - I have worked in the shop until about 2 P.M. I cut off a brim for Marshall West, bound and recurled it and delivered it to his store (Mr. Gillette's'). I called on William Warren at the Railroad Paint Shop to enquire if Lottie Wheeler's intended husband had yet returned from New Milford. Williams thinks he may buy my store in New York. I received a letter from William at the store requesting me to come down tomorrow, there being so much work on hand, they want my help. Before tea, I went to the Post Office. Father Griswold and Fanny came home from New York by the evening train. Before retiring, I went up home and killed a chicken for Louise. Fanny bought some toys for Georgie. DECEMBER 31 FRIDAY - Muggy again today; no sunshine but pleasant in the evening. I have been to New York. Marshall West went also on business for Mr. Gillette. I have been hard at work in the store all day. I finished Mr. Pond's 3 chromo frames but did not have time to put them up to bring home. A large fire in 23rd Street near 6th Avenue. Horses burned to death. I paid Mr. Williams the ticket agent $20.00 more this morning toward my commutation ticket for 6 months ending May 31, 1869. I have paid $8.00 since December 1st in regular tickets which per agreement with Williams goes towards the commutation which now leaves $10.00 due. Father Griswold this evening let me have $29.00 with which to pay 3 month's interest on $1,200 at the Danbury Savings Bank. I being out of money, he advanced it to me.






Purdy, Horace, 1835-1909. “Horace Purdy Journal December 1868 Entry.” Horace Purdy Journals, MS 044. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 29 Jan. 2020.

Document Viewer


Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.