Horace Purdy Journal November 1868 Entry

Dublin Core




NOVEMBER 01 SUNDAY - Stormy all day. I went down to the church at noon, but there was no session of the Sunday School on account of the rain. So Fred Shears and I spent an hour or more at the library putting books in their places and putting numbers on the backs of such as had lost them off. I then came home where I spent the remainder of the day. NOVEMBER 02 MONDAY - Rain and snow all day until evening when the stars shone. I have been to New York. I made frames at the store. I brought home a walnut and gilt 16x20 frame for Egbert Gilbert's soldiers' testimonial. I found George on the Danbury & Norwalk train. He came on an earlier train to Norwalk having walked from Yonkers across to Mount Vernon to take the train. Bell, being at Bethel, she joined us at that place. They both came from the depot up home with me. George took a cup of tea with me. I sold to Walter Bartram an 'Outline of the U.S. Government' while on the train this evening. Henry Hinman moved into our upper rooms today. NOVEMBER 03 TUESDAY - Presidential Election. Snow showed on the ground last evening and did not altogether disappear until about the middle of the forenoon. I worked around home this morning, went up to Oscar Serines's for a half barrel of lime. I then dressed myself, took two of my books, 'Outlines of the U.S. Government' and delivered to Henry Kessler and Rollo Nichols. I then went down and voted. I came home at noon to dinner. After dinner, I cleaned out the woodhouse, cut up some old rubbish, sawed open my old vinegar barrel and found it to be too rotten for any use. I then dressed again and took George and Henry Quien's testimonials down to Saul Kleig's clothing store to be called for. Henry paid me for his at the courthouse - $2.25 - $2.00 for the frame, 15 cents for the card and 10 cents for the nail. I then went down to the courthouse again to hear the vote declared. I was there at 4 o'clock. The polls were closed at 5 o'clock. About 5, the vote was declared. Whole number of votes cast ' 1,654 ' Rep., 889, Dem., 765, Republican majority, 124. I immediately came home and told the news. Henry Hinman paid me $5.00 while I was at tea for his first month's rent. Our Republican majority last spring was 51. George took his trunk and left for Yonkers on the noon train after depositing his vote for Grant and Colfax. After tea, I assisted Henry Hinman to put up window shades and Gussie in putting our small chamber in order, setting up bedstead, etc. I then went into the street, exchanged 2 boxes of paper collars for one at Fleig's, mine not being so good an article and also being an inch too large. I then went to Concert Hall to hear the telegraphic returns form the election. I stayed until nearly 11 o'clock and came home. Walked up with Marshall West. NOVEMBER 04 WEDNESDAY - A pleasant beautiful day. I went to the shop this morning and had one dozen of hats which I finished by noon. There then being no further work, I came home. I delivered 'Outline' this P.M. to Adam Boyd at the sandpaper factory. The cannon was brought out this P.M. and guns were fired over the election. I ran up our folks' flag on their home this P.M. Preparations are being made for a general rejoicing and an illumination over the election of U. S. Grant as president of the United States form the 4th of March next. I went to market in the evening. NOVEMBER 05 THURSDAY - Georgie had the croup last night about 11 o'clock just as we had retired. I got up and went for Mrs. Richards who came over and advised us. We gave him some hive syrup which vomited him and gave immediate relief. He breathed and slept well all night thereafter. I have worked a part of the day I the shop. Not feeling well, I slept on the lounge awhile before tea. I went into the street in the evening and left my watch again with Fanton's man S. G. Bailey, it having stopped. Before leaving the street, there was an alarm of fire. I went sown as far as Saul Wildman's and found that the fire was somewhere on the flats as low down as Bethel and a little west. I returned, helping draw the hook and ladder truck as far as D. P. Nichols & Company. I then bought a pound of crackers and then came home. Robert Cocking came in about 9  o'clock for a roll of salve. Before retiring, I went up to Father Griswold's and prepared in part for illuminating his cupola tomorrow evening, it being a jollification over the election of General Grant as President of the United States. NOVEMBER 06 FRIDAY - Pleasant. I had part of a day's work in the shop. After work, I brought home some partly burned candles of Parmalee for Father Griswold to illuminate his cupola with this evening, it being the occasion of a jollification over the election of President Grant. I put eight of them in each window, making 32 of them in all. I superintended lighting the cupola, also my own house. I hung a picture of General Grant in our parlor window and our folks' flag in another. The Grant and Colfax Legion turned out on parade with torches. After the procession, O. H. Ferry spoke in Concert Hall. I did not attend the speaking. NOVEMBER 07 SATURDAY - I have been to New York. I called on Mason Thorp at his factory at 167 West 26th Street. I wanted to put new frames on his two looking glasses but he does not want it done yet. I made a few frames at the store. Mrs. Fields called at the store and gave me an order for framing. . On the train coming home, I fell in with one named Fitch from Aiken, South Carolina. . He married a girl, by name Lois Coleman, related to Mr. Griffin at Redding Station where he stopped to meet his wife. She has been staying there where he sent her a few weeks ago. He was ordered to leave Aiken by the Ku Klux Klan on Saturday, the 17th of October (I think it was). They gave him until Monday to get away in. He sent his family ahead to Mr. Griffin's. I expected to bring to Mr. Swift ## dozen gold frames 8x10, seal and ribbon pattern, but could not get them in the white soon enough. I took down for Elijah Morris a book on architecture to be called for by his folks at the store. I also took clean clothes for George and left at the store. NOVEMBER 08 SUNDAY - Cloudy most of the day. Gussie went to church in the morning. I went down to Sunday School at noon. It was our monthly concert. I did not stay in the P.M. It commenced to rain as I came home from meeting Gussie wrote to Hattie in New Haven in the evening. NOVEMBER 09 MONDAY - Warm with the appearance of rain in the morning, but it came off pleasant during the day. I went to the shop in the morning (As I went, I took an oil can and a note to Aaron Morehouse in Taylor's Block for Henry Hinman), but the foreman told us that there would be no work for the journeymen until Thursday. I then came home and got in my winter turnips and the rest of my cabbage. I discharged my gun which had been loaded for several weeks and cleaned and oiled it and put it away. In the P.M. at 3 o'clock, I attended a special town meeting at the courthouse to see about exchanging a piece of ground in the rear of Concert Hall for a part of what the steps in front now occupy with the owners of the hall, but the people, believing that both the front and rear, also the grounds on which the hall stands belong to the town and that the stockholders own nothing but the old building that they replaced, refused to grant the request. I have had a headache all day and now feel about down sick. Henry Heinman today gave up and went to bed sick. They fear lung fever. Sunday School Teachers' Meeting in the evening. I attended. As I went , I took my watch again to F. B. Fanton's to his man, S. G. Bailey, who put in a new main spring on the 17th of last month and since then it stops nearly every day. As I came home from Teachers' Meeting, I took a letter from the Post Office for Gussie from her cousin Eliza in California. Before retiring, I copied the minutes of the Sunday School Teachers' Business meeting. NOVEMBER 10 TUESDAY - Misty a part of the day. I have been to New York. Mrs. Randall was on the train this morning going to Pennsylvania. As I went down to the store, I stopped at Phillip Phillip's for two more 'Singing Pilgrims and Musical Leaves Combined'. They are engaged in the Sunday School. I have been very busy in the store today making frames etc. Mr. McDonald's hired boy met me at the station this evening to borrow my gun, I having promised to bring it to him on Mr. McDonald's account as he is going hunting with him. He came home with me and got it. I today was informed that the notice in the paper last week of Henry Young's death was my landlord. Abel Gray, I am told, died yesterday. NOVEMBER 11 WEDNESDAY - Rain until about noon. The locomotive ran off the turntable this morning and delayed us from the regular time ' 6 ## o'clock ' until 4 minutes past 7. . Instead of 80 minutes, the usual time of running to Norwalk, we ran it in 50 minutes including stoppages, the quickest time yet made on this road. J. B. Gibbs of New York, on a wager with Walter Bartram of the Fanton & Bartram Sewing Machine notoriety, started about 10 A.M. from Merritt's Eating House, 78 Ninth Street to walk to Hartford. He carries an American flag with 'Grant and Colfax' on it, also a haversack well stocked with circulars advertising the Fanton & Bartram Sewing Machine Company which he is to circulate in every place through which he passes. He started in the rain with a brass band to escort him up through the city where they left him to go on his way. I sold to Benjamin Ryder a looking glass and delivered to his office on the corner of Broadway and Spring Street. I brought up a half dozen gold 8x10 oval frames seal and ribbon pattern to Swift tonight. I also brought to Louise a No. 2 Longking's Notes. Star light this evening. My birthday. I am 33 years old. NOVEMBER 12 THURSAY - Pleasant but cooler. I have worked in the shop. I took Father Griswold's old broad brimmed hat to the shop with me to cut of the brim and curl it over again and put a spring under the curl to hold it in shape. After tea, I called at Egbert Gilbert's on Division Street to get his testimonial to frame. His wife only knowing where it was and she being out, I did not get it. I went into the street, waited until the mail was opened and then came home. Before retiring, I marked off the Sunday School papers. NOVEMBER 13 FRIDAY - The coldest morning, I think, we have yet had. The day has been pleasant. I had work in the shop until after 3 P.M. I then came home, stopping on the way at Bedient's Photographic Gallery and collected a bill of $4.00 from him for 8x10 rustic frames, a half dozen at $7.50 a dozen. There was 50 cents extra for a carved leaf on top of one of them. As I was going to the shop this morning, Mr. H. Griffing asked me if I could pay my coal bill before December 1st. After work and before tea, I brought some apples down from Father Griswold's barn and put them in my cellar. I got them as pay for picking them for him. There was about a barrel of good picked fruit and a bushel of windfalls. I brought from the shop Father Griswold's hat that I took there for repairs. I brought home my gun from Mc Donald's this morning. His hired boy used it yesterday hunting. I went into the street in the evening. Called at Swift's for $7.50 for half dozen 8x10 gold oval frames scale and ribbon pattern, but he did not pay me. I got my watch from Fanton's and came home. NOVEMBER 14 SATURDAY - Pleasant and a little warmer. I have been to New York. Galen Terry, Mr. Young's agent, he (Young) being dead, called for his rent today. I had a talk with him about the rent, now that Young is dead. So far as I can learn, there is not to be any change in affairs at present, at least. I brought home a piece of bacon with me from the city. Gussie met me at the depot to have me do a little marketing with her. I brought the small looking glass with me for Homer White. NOVEMBER 15 SUNDAY - Pleasant. After breakfast, I went down to church with the bundle of Sunday School papers and returned. Gussie attended in the forenoon. I left Georgie upstairs with Anna and went down to Sunday School. Gussie stayed and came home with me after school. After tea, I went down to church to look for my handkerchief which I have lost somewhere. In the meantime, Gussie went with Georgie over to Andrew Williams in Montgomery Street to see Mrs. Bradley. Mrs. Cocking called in just before meeting time and I walked down to church with her and Louise. NOVEMBER 16 - MONDAY - Pleasant. Before breakfast, I wrote to William at the store ordering a half dozen rustic frames for Bedient the photographer here over Gillette's store. I had work in the shop today. Before tea, I commenced raking leaves off my dooryard. Hattie Mills came in while we were at tea. She took tea with us and then spent the evening. I went into the street in the evening where Bedient saw me and was in a hurry for his frames. I wrote again to William before retiring. NOVEMBER 17 TUESDAY - The weather has been more cloudy today and threatens storms. Before breakfast, I went down and mailed two letters, one to William at the store and one to George at Yonkers asking him for money on what he owes me. I have worked in the shop a part of the day. In the P.M., I finished raking off my dooryard and covered my strawberry beds with the leaves. I then dressed and carried over to George Starr and Daniel each a book which they subscribed for, (Outlines of the U. S. Government'. I did not get my pay, George being out and Daniel not having any money with him. Before tea, I went up to Father Griswold's and took the looking glass out from there old two story gilt frame preparatory to taking it with me tomorrow to New York to regild. While we were at tea, Amos Purdy came for another roll of salve. I went to market in the evening. Gussie attended the Temperance Mass meeting with Anna Heinman in the evening. NOVEMBER 18 WEDNESDAY - To New York. I was late; took a cold breakfast and ran to catch the train. I had just time to stop at D. M. Benedict's and get a pair of rubbers on credit. It was raining so that I need them as my boots were old and leaked. I took an old style looking glass frame of Mother Griswold's down with me to regild. I spent a great part of the day at the store making frames. It rained all the forenoon but very little in the P.M.I squared and framed in walnut a small piece of looking glass (broken) from the old frame I am to regild and brought up with me to Fanny. I also brought a half dozen 8x10 rustic frames for Mr. Bedient the photographer. I left them at Simon's Shoe store. I found Louise at the house when I got home. She stayed to tea, Gussie having gone to the Aid Society. NOVEMBER 19 THURSDAY - Pleasant. I have worked in the shop. I took with me to the shop an 'Outlines of the U.S. Government' for George Sherman which he took and paid me for - $2.00. I have had work all day. On my way home, I stopped at Bedient's and collected a bill for ## dozen rustics - $3.50 After tea, I took our 8x10 frame, 1 ## Walnut with 1 inch gilt inside and gold mounted and corners and sold from it one for sample to Hamelin, to Couch and Bedient. I bought some fish at market and came home. While in the street, I paid D. M. Benedict, $1.00 on account for rubbers bought yesterday morning. NOVEMBER 20 FRIDAY - Cloudy during the day. I worked in the shop until noon then came home and spent the P.M. in preparing mortar for laying up my cellar wall, getting a few stones, etc. Before tea, I went into the street, mailed a letter to Mrs. Holmes at Essex informing her of the finding of her boy's overcoat in the car at Norwalk last Wednesday. I also mailed for Gussie a Danbury Times to Harriet in New Haven. I called at Swift's and got my pay for the ## dozen gold 8x10 ovals, scale and ribbon pattern I sod him $7.50. After tea, (Bell being here) I went up home with Bell and Louise to see Father about helping me repair my cellar wall. I brought home a small basket of my turnips. NOVEMBER 21 SATURDAY - Cloudy and threatened storm all day. I have been to New York. I only ate about half of my breakfast today. I had to run to catch the train. I took down and undershirt to George today. In reply to a note I wrote to him on Tuesday asking him for money, he wrote to William at the store and enclosed $15.00 which I found there today. I went to Philip Philip's today for a 'Singing Pilgrim and Leaves' for Minnie Vintz. I have been pretty busy making frames. I have had a severe headache, but after taking a nap in the New Haven cars, I felt better. I brought home a lot of clock keys, hand bells and springs from the shop to sell to T. B. Fanton. Isaac Jennings sat in the seat with me from New York. Bell was here when I came from the cars and got my tea for me, Gussie being downtown on an errand. I paid Galen Terry $40.00 today on November rent today for Henry Young's estate. NOVEMBER 22 SUNDAY - Cloudy most of the day. A little blustery and threatens snow. I went down to Sunday School at noon. A collection was taken to send to the Five Points Mission to aid in getting up a Thanksgiving dinner for them. $16.93 was taken up, $9.93 from the main school and $7.00 from the Infant Class box which for over a month they have been collecting for that purpose. Gussie came down to the Sunday School and went to the Baptist church in the P.M. to hear the funeral sermon for Pierce Abbott's wife preached by their new preacher, Mr. Hubbard. I came home after school to count and put up in packages the money taken for the Five Points. After tea, I went over to George Starr's with the money as he wants to send it tomorrow. NOVEMBER 23 MONDAY - Pleasant but cool. I have worked all day in the shop. Father has worked for me today rebuilding a piece of my cellar wall. He took tea with Mother Griswold, he being up there at that time for some rotten specked apples. She persuaded him to do so. After tea, I wrote to George trying to get more money from him on his old debt to help me out on December 1st. I went to F. B. Fanton's and let him have 34 clock keys, about a dozen springs, three bells, three pendulums and about a dozen hands for $3.00 in trade. I took a box of 10 packs of envelopes, $1.00, and ten quires of paper, $1.25, one dozen pencils, 40 cents and 15 rubber heads for pencils, 35 cents. I mailed the letter to George, bought a broom for Gussie and came home, walking up with Marshall West. Before retiring, I took some samples of wall molding over to Mr. Pond's for him to take and show to his assistant teacher, Mr. Holmes who wants some to make into frames himself. I took Marshall's hat home with me and heated the brim and set up the curl anew for him and returned it in a few minutes. NOVEMBER 24 TUESDAY - Cool but pleasant. I have worked in the shop. I took Mr. Pond's hat with me to the shop to set up the curl a little more for him. I came home about the middle of the P.M. and cleaned my gun and took it down to Benjamin Rolfe who wants to borrow it on Thanksgiving Day. I received a letter from William at the store stating that Sigler, Wurzberger & Ferguson in Mercer Street have been burned out. Four frames of mine at Wurzberger's to be mounted with composition corners were also burned. Henry Crofut's daughter Delia was married to one Davenport of the firm of Croft & Knapp at Norwalk. Bell came down this evening and brought a hen and 9 chickens just hatched, a present to us if we will raise them. I wrote to William and mailed it in the evening, directing Father Griswold's looking glass to be completed and ready for me on Thursday. I went to market in the evening and took an order from Swift for three frames. NOVEMBER 25 WEDNESDAY - Another beautiful forenoon, but before night, it clouded up. The wind changed to the south and at 4 o'clock, every indication of a stormy day tomorrow, but in the evening, it looked less like a storm. I have worked in the shop. We got paid off today, our pay last Saturday having been deferred until today in view of Thanksgiving tomorrow. I got a damaged hat for nothing and trimmed and finished it. It is the new style, 'Alpine'. After tea, I went to market and brought home a chicken that Gussie engaged of Eli Stone. I waited until about 9 o'clock for the mail, the train being that much behind. I called at Charles Andrews by consent of E. S. Davis and engaged him to furnish what additional pipe is needed and turn it through the thimble into the lecture room and enter the furnace pipe, the present arrangement causing the stove in the Librarian's Room to smoke so that we cannot stand it. I brought a letter for Fanny from the Post Office from Elyria, Ohio from Annie and the children. NOVEMBER 26 THURSDAY - Thanksgiving Day. Rain in the forenoon, clearing away at noon. No shop work. I have been to New York. I went down in the morning and returned at 3 ## P.M. by the 12 ## train from New York. The store has been closed, but I called at William's home at 16 Bedford Street and he went over with me and put a looking glass in the frame of Father Griswold's which I have been regilding and went down expressly for. I left $10.00 with William to do business with. Emma Bartram, the school teacher, went to New York this morning, Jennie Fairweather. She was on her way to Bridgeport. Ambrose Hill was also on the train coming from Brooklyn. Gussie and Georgie took dinner with Father Griswold. Dinner being over when I returned, I ate mine alone after which I set the other looking glass in the fame I brought from New York(it being a two story glass) and left it ready to hang up. I wrote another plain letter to George soliciting money. I went over and read it to Mr. Pond and then went into the street and mailed it. I called at Swift's, got my Harpers Weekly and came home. Before retiring, I mended a fancy black walnut bracket for Marshall West. NOVEMBER 27 FRIDAY - Pleasant. I have worked all day in the shop. My father and family and Gussie's father and family were all here to dinner this P.M. having work in the shop, I stayed until night and ate my dinner alone when I came home. Father and Mother stayed in the evening. I went to the Post Office in the evening. I paid Father $2.00 for mending my cellar wall. NOVEMBER 28 SATURDAY - Cold last night. A white frost this morning. Sarah Bouton, her son Edgar and his wife were on the train this morning going home to Georgetown, they having been up to John Bouton's keeping Thanksgiving. Alfred Targett went to New York this morning also. I have been very busy at the store today making frames. William yesterday rented the upper floor over the store to a man and wife and two children. Van Orden moves out on December 1st. Clark Beers' wife and child came up this evening. They have been down to bury her mother. I bought a passe partout and some mats up for Swift from Handler's. I also brought up the small passe partouts for Alfred Targett. I bought a hymn book for Hattie Brockett at the Book Room. When I arrive home this evening, I found Mother Griswold, Mary Vintz and Louise at the house. NOVEMBER 29 SATURDAY - Sunshine. Some clouds and a little blustery. Gussie did not go to church during the day. I went down at noon to Sunday School and returned again after the session. Through my efforts during last week, we have had the stove pipe changed in the Librarian's Room and carried through the partition to the furnace pipe in the Lecture Room. As it was before entering the chimney in the room, it smoked so that we could have no fire. Now it is remedied, I think, as it burned well and made our room comfortable today. After tea, I drew up anew the Infant Class from Fanny's book into mine. I then went over to Hattie Brockett's with the hymn book I bought for her in New York, a present to her mother. I stayed a short time and then returned about 6 o'clock. NOVEMBER 30 MONDAY - A beautiful morning before daylight but nearly all day it has been cloudy and cool. I have been to New York. Reuben W. Holmes was on the train this morning going to new Haven. He was on the train again this evening going home. I had some conversation with him about buying me out in New York. Jennie Fairweather got on the train this morning at Ridgefield on her way to her school in Yonkers. I had her company down. I helped her off the car at 30th Street while they were in motion and walked with her towards the Hudson River railroad depot as far as 6th Avenue where I left her and took a car down to my store. I have been quite busy at the store making frames. In the P.M., I went down to Tibbels', 37 Park Row, for some Judd's Lessons for the Sunday School and some reward books for the Infant Class. I took a 4th Avenue car from there up to the depot and came home. My commutation tickets expire today from here to New York.






Purdy, Horace, 1835-1909. “Horace Purdy Journal November 1868 Entry.” Horace Purdy Journals, MS 044. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 28 Jan. 2020.

Document Viewer


Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.