Horace Purdy Journal January 1868 Entry

Dublin Core




JANUARY 01 WEDNESDAY - I went to the Savings Bank in the morning and paid $48.00 interest for six months ending July 1, 1868 on $1,200. From there I went to the shop and took out some work. Then left it and borrowed Parmalee & Sherman's horse and went up home for Mother, Bell and Georgie, who went up home yesterday and brought them down to our house to eat turkey and stay overnight, Father being away on a visit to Ridgefield. Fanny and Louise were with us also as they were alone, Father and Mother Griswold being in New Haven on a visit to Harriet. It has been stormy, snow in the morning, rain later in the day. I went to church in the evening to attend a Special Teachers' Meeting, but there being but few present, no business was done. I mailed this evening a few circulars advertising the preservation of flowers with a few of my cards to James L. Maynard. JANUARY 02 THURSDAY - Pleasant; it has seemed like a spring day. I have worked in the shop. Mother and Bell stayed with us last night. As I came from work this P.M., I hired Mr. Beatty to take Mother home. I paid him 25 cents. I have been rather low spirited today in view of the hard times and my liabilities. I called at Benedict Brothers' Shoe Store and told them that I must have a little more time on what I owe them which was satisfactory. After tea, I went into the street and bought a diary of Mr. Swift, 50 cents. I talked to Mr. Potter about hiring George to drive his team and sell musical instruments for him. I mailed a letter to him about it, requesting him to meet me at the store on Saturday. JANUARY 03 FRIDAY - Pleasant. I have worked in the shop today. I came home from work by way of the Jeffersonian Office to get my paper. William Hurd cashed my account for me before I left the shop - $10.00. I marked off the Sunday School Advocates in the evening. I stayed at home to let Gussie go with Louise up to George Davis'. JANUARY 04 SATURDAY - When we rose this morning, I found it snowing hard and two or more inches of it on the ground. I have been to New York. I had Josephine Dare's company from Bethel to the city. Her brother, Samuel, met her at 27th Street. Willie Hurd, Jr. was on the train with his sister and another lady friend on his way home from Danbury to Patterson. They took the 6th Avenue cars down with me. It has been misty most of the day here, while in New York, there has been no snow and a part of the day the sun shone. Soon after leaving Norwalk on my way home this evening, it began to snow again. As I left the cars on arriving home, it was snowing very fast. Gussie and Louise met me at the depot. George came down to the store to see me today about a position with J. M. Potter to drive a team on the road and sell melodeons, pianos, etc. He thinks of taking the situation if he and Mr. Potter can make a bargain. Before we retired, it cleared off finally and the stars shone brightly. JANUARY 05 SUNDAY - Good sleighing. Pleasant but cold. Gussie attended church in the morning and I went down to Sunday School when she returned from morning service. I stayed to Prayer Meeting in the P.M. Mrs. Holmes, our female superintendent, gave over to me $6.14 which she had collected to pay the expenses of our Christmas Exhibition. Bell was with us to tea. About 6 o'clock P.M., a fire broke out uptown. It was the dwelling in Franklin Street next to what was the old finishing shop on the corner of Main and Franklin Streets, owned by a Mr. Sturgis. Aunt Sally Hoyt and daughter Sarah Smith were living there. Sam Main and wife also boarded there. The house was not entirely burned down. Most of the things were got safely out except the clothing belonging to Mrs. Smith and her three children. It was about evening meeting time when I returned from the fire, but we stayed at home. JANUARY 06 MONDAY - Pleasant but cool. I went to the shop and finished off five hats which I had left over since last Friday. There being no more work, I came home before dinner. After dinner, I went into the street and went before the Board of Relief to swear off $1,100 which I owe Father Griswold. I then went to Brother Burch's and collected 75 cents which his boy Charlie took for tickets sold to the Christmas Exhibition. I then paid him $12.75 for candy which he bought for the cornucopias on that occasion. On my way home to dinner, I stopped at Foster's Carpenter Shop and collected $3.75 from Tim Foster for pictures and frames which I sold him ' Washington, Lincoln and Grant families. I took the train at 4:30 o'clock and went to Norwalk to see two undertakers there and arranged for flower preserving. I returned by the evening train. Paid printer for School printing - $6.50. JANUARY 07 THURSDAY - S. C. Holley's wool hat factory was burned this morning between 1 and 2 o'clock. I went to the fire. I have worked in the shop today. After work, I went up to see Father as he has worked for Holley and now will be out of work. Gussie having gone up before me, she got some pictures of Nellie Freeland for me to frame. I rode down home with Charles Starr. I went to a Hatters' Meeting at No. 2 Hose Company's room. I got excused early in the meeting and came home stopping at Flieg's Clothing Store to see if Theo Bradley wanted to go to New York with me in the morning; he thinks he will. When I came home, I went over to Mr. Pond's and he weighed out for me 26 lbs. of sugar at 15 cents per lb. with 2 percent added for expense of getting it here from New York. It came to $4.04. I paid him the 4 cents, leaving my indebtedness just four dollars. JANUARY 08 WEDNESDAY - Cloudy with a little snow early in the morning as I was going to the depot. I have been to New York. Theo Bradley has been down with me. I spent a good part of the day going around with him. We took dinner at the 'Savory Dining Room' in Fulton Street just out of Broadway. I framed three pictures (two of them in one frame) for Nellie Freeland and two very small ones for Gussie ' 'Christ Crowned With Thorns' and 'The Virgin Mary' colored in oil. Nellie's were Deacon Benjamin Ambler and wife in one frame and Hattie Gregory (as it were) and her husband, Mr. Craig both on one card in another. Theo and myself were about tired out when we got home. Daniel Starr had a son born to him last night at about 12 o'clock and died at birth. Mrs. Bradley and Gussie went up this evening to see Mrs. Starr and also to call in Stevens Street and see the remains of John Stone who died yesterday morning at 6 o'clock. Mr. Pond came in the evening to see if I had a new hat for him as he intends going to Boston tomorrow. I have not yet made the hat for him. Gussie went sleigh riding with 10 others with George Starr's team by invitation from him. He sent William A. Bouton, his hired man to drive. The load was made up of old maids and widows ' Emily Anderson, Paulina Pepper, Fanny Griswold, Mrs. Noah K. Barnum, Widow Hiram Cole, Mrs. Starr and others. JANUARY 09 THURSDAY - Sunshine; snow squalls and high wind in the P.M. with increasing cold. I have worked in the shop. I have worked as long as I could see, having yesterday's work and today's too to get off. Bell was with us to tea. I gave her Nellie Freeland's pictures which I framed for her. She took them with her to church in the evening and will take them with her up home after meeting. John Stone was buried this P.M. I went to market in the evening and found it to be very cold. JANUARY 10 FRIDAY - Very cold last night and today. I have worked in the shop. I stayed at home in the evening to let Gussie go into the street to market, etc. JANUARY 11 SATURDAY - Pleasant and warmer, though it is yet very cold. I have been to New York today. I saw Mr. Wing on the train this morning with a new washing machine. I brought one of them home to try. I tried today to find out which of my tenants over the store in New York it is that makes such a nuisance of the water closet but could not. Each denied it and charged the other with it. I threatened to turn out of doors the one who did it, if I could find out the guilty one provided it was not stopped. I brought 1 and a half yards of tracing cloth for drafting purposes to Morgan Chittenden from Burton's in 6th Avenue, between 4th and 5th Streets. Before retiring, I arranged a wash tub for the new washing machine preparatory to washing on Monday. JANUARY 12 SUNDAY - Pleasant but cold. Gussie went to church in the morning and came home at noon to let me go to Sunday School. I stayed to the Sacrament in the P.M. We stayed at home in the evening and retired early. JANUARY 13 MONDAY - Pleasant but very cold. The mercury stood at zero this morning. I have worked in the shop all day. Gussie tried her new washing machine, but before she had tried it long, a handkerchief got caught around one of the rollers and she, not being able to get it out again, abandoned it and did not on that account, give it a fair trial. A Sunday School Teachers' Meeting in the evening. I attended as usual, I being the Secretary. The voted to expend one hundred dollars for the new library books and appointed the preacher, Brother Burch and myself a committee to purchase them. They also voted to get up an oyster supper, the proceeds from which to be used in fitting up and furnishing the Librarian's Room. JANUARY 14 TUESDAY - Cold during the morning, but the weather moderated somewhat during the day. Cloudy in the after part of the day with strong indications of snow. I have worked in the shop. About 11 o'clock, Brother Burch and George Starr called at the shop to get the catalogue to the Sunday School Library. I gave Brother Burch the keys to the church and library and directions where he would find the catalogue. He went to New York this P.M. and I am to meet him at Tibbel's on Park Row about the middle of the day tomorrow to assist in spending $100 for library books. As I came home from work this evening, I called at the Parsonage for any keys which he left there for me. Father completed splitting Mr. Pond's wood today. He took dinner with Gussie. Bell came in as we were drinking tea and stayed until meeting time and went down with Gussie who went to market and I stayed at home. Bell came after meeting to stay overnight. About 8 in the evening, it began to snow. JANUARY 15 WEDNESDAY - Snow last night and this morning. It cleared off about noon. I have been to New York and with Brother Burch, bought Sunday School books at Tibbel's. I was busy until time to come home and then left Brother Burch to finish the job. I brought home an old door mat from the store. Bought 'Bullion's Latin Reader' for Charles Hodge. JANUARY 16 THURSDAY - Pleasant, excepting a short snow squall after dinner. I have worked in the shop. I took the Latin Reader to Charles Hodge at the shop and got 75 cents for it. Gussie washed some clothes for George today which I brought for New York yesterday. She took the up home and ironed them while Mother mended. She used the new washer and liked it better today. After tea, I went to market. Gussie went with me as far as the street and then went down Liberty Street to see Mrs. Bradley about going out to Mr. Reynold's tomorrow evening with the Sewing Society on a sleighing party to have a gathering there. JANUARY 17 FRIDAY - Pleasant but very cold in the morning. I have worked in the shop. I brought home a new hat for Mr. Pond. Brother Burch came home today. The Library books came also. He had them unpacked and his boys carried them into the Librarian's Room in the church. The Ladies' Aid Society meets this evening over to Brother Reynold's in Miry Brook. Brother Starr and Isaac Smith each furnished a double team. Avery Raymond supplies one single and Augustus Hoyt, two single teams. They were well filled and all hands started over there on a sleigh ride about 6 o'clock this evening. Gussie went with them. Georgie being sick with a head cold, I stayed with him at home. I went down, however, to the church (Louise at the time staying with Georgie) where they started from to see them off. I then called at D. B. Booth's office to see if the $100 bounty for George had come and found the check there waiting for him, it having come last Monday. I took it and am to take tomorrow to the city for his endorsement. JANUARY 18 SATURDAY - I have been to New York today. I took George's clean clothes down to him, but he not having made his appearance before I left to come home, I left the bounty check with William to have George endorse it when he did come. I cut down William's wages from $10 to $8 per week. Phillip Phillips had his new singing books that I have been waiting for so long, but I was at his place so late that I had no time to wait for them to be put up for me, so I came very reluctantly without them. I was sick with headache when I came home. Nelson Nickerson was on the train this evening on his way home from a coasting trip on the Southern Coast. He arrived in New York today by steamer from Charleston, South Carolina. JANUARY 19 SUNDAY 19 - Pleasant. Georgie being sick with a sore throat and a heavy cold and we both rose rather late. Gussie did not go to church at all today. I went down at noon to Sunday School and in the P.M., William Taylor, the Librarian and Fred Vintz, assisted by myself, put numbers on the backs of the old books and put them in the Library. In the evening, we met in the basement again and took a list of the new books and put into them what labels we had. JANUARY 20 MONDAY - Georgie, who yesterday and the day before was quite sick, is better today. He had no fever last night and today he was more like himself. I have worked in the shop until about 2 o'clock. Then, before coming home, went up to see Harriet at Mr. Townsend's to get a picture she wants framed, but Bell had been there for it and had taken it to my house. I fitted up a family group of Washington and gave to Robert. Bell came back from the street and took tea with us. Before and after tea, I worked at arranging the list of new Sunday School books in alphabetical order ready for entering them on the catalogue. When I completed it, I took the list down to the church and did some marketing. I received a letter from William, my man at the store, saying that H. D. Clark wanted a certain looking glass marked $35 for $27 and the same to remain on my $125 note due him next March. I replied before coming home. (I wrote in Swift's store and immediately mailed it) that $27 was too cheap on account, but that he could have it towards the note for $30. JANUARY 21 TUESDAY - A hard snowstorm. I was trouble so with headache last night and this morning, that I did not get up until breakfast was ready and did not go to the shop until after dinner. As I went, I mailed a letter to the store, directing William to send by return mail the $100 Bounty Check of George's which I left there on Saturday for George to endorse. As I came from work, I went to the Jeffersonian Office for 150 labels for Sunday School books which I ordered printed. When I got home, Father was at the house waiting for me to get the new washing machine for him. He wants to try it at Nellie Freeland's. After tea, I went down to the church per agreement with the Librarian to assist at putting labels on the books, etc. It cleared off so that the stars shone in the evening and grew colder. Georgie has evidently got the measles. JANUARY 22 WEDNESDAY - Pleasant. I have worked in the shop. In the evening, William H. Taylor, the Librarian, and I put numbers on the backs of the new Sunday School books. We worked until after 10 o'clock. JANUARY 23 THURSDAY - I have worked in the shop today. It commenced raining about 9 o'clock this A.M. and continued all day. As I came home from work, I took from the Office a letter from William with George's bounty check enclosed which I wrote for on Wednesday. I left it at the store last Saturday for George to endorse when he came down from Yonkers. I went down to the church in the evening and copied the numbers of the new Library books into the catalogue. I gave the bounty check to D. B. Booth to draw the money tomorrow. I wrote to George telling him that J. M. Potter would see him about selling instruments for him. I also wrote to Phillip Phillips to have him save me 35 of the Singing Pilgrim and Musical Leaves Combined and I will call for them Saturday. JANUARY 24 SATURDAY - Pleasant and warm. I worked in the shop. I went to D. B., Booth's office in the evening and got George's $100 bounty money, leaving $5.00 of it with Booth as a fee for collecting the same. Gussie then went with me to see the new Library books at the church. Before retiring, I completed copying in alphabetical order the new Sunday School books into the catalogue. Bell was with us to tea. JANUARY 25 SATURDAY - Pleasant. I have been to New York. I sent William out from the store with $90.00 with which to pay some bills and to buy some tea and coffee for me at the Great American Tea Company. He also bought a large slate and some small books which are calculated as helps to teachers for Mr. Pond. I brought home 35 of Phillips' singing books for the Sunday School. I had William come to the depot with me to help carry some of the packages and Mr. Pond met me here at the depot and assisted me. I also brought home for Harriet a pencil drawing which I framed for her. Gussie today took a letter from the Office for me from George. JANUARY 26 SUNDAY - Cloudy most of the day, although not unpleasant. I went down to the church between 9 and 10 o'clock with the Sunday School papers. I returned and let Gussie attend in the forenoon. I went down to Sunday School. The Librarian's Room is not yet fully furnished and completed though the center table chairs and carpet are there. The new Library books were given out today for the first time. I went to church in the evening. Brother Burch preached us a good sermon. JANUARY 27 MONDAY - Stormy. It has snowed more or less all day. I have worked in the shop. I went to Teachers' Meeting in the evening, it being a special one to make arrangements for an Oyster Super on February 5th. Before I retired, I copied the minutes of the meeting and drew up a notice of the supper for publication in the paper. January 28 TUESDAY - Cloudy. It has snowed more or less during the day. As I went to work in the morning, I left a notice of our proposed Oyster Supper at the Times Office for publication. I went over to Dr. Brown's to see Lizzie Hill and got some pictures of our church and parsonage and again this evening and got some more which I am to frame and offer for sale at the Oyster Supper next week. After tea, I went over to see George Starr about the money with which to pay for our new Sunday School books. I then went up to Mr. Townsend's and took Harriet's picture which I framed to her. From there, I went over home and got the washing machine as Gussie wants to use it tomorrow. JANUARY 29 WEDNESDAY - Stormy ' snow. As I went to the shop this morning, I left a notice of our proposed Oyster Supper next Wednesday evening at the Jeffersonian Office for publication. There being no work at the shop, I spent the forenoon in trying to get George W. Raymond to go to our church and cut a pipe hole in the chimney in the Librarian's Room, but did not get him. I saw Andrew Knox about doing a little graining the same room in a few days. Mr. Norris, the pianist who played for us at the Christmas Exhibition, came here with his bill which I paid. - $12.00. I dropped a note to George Starr with the bill enclosed requesting him to make up the $7.00 which it was more than we expected as it will ben needed to pay for our new library books. I also wrote to George, notifying him that J. M. Potter would call on him in Yonkers on Friday with the view of employing him to sell musical instruments. After tea, I went up to Mr. Rundle's to see George Mortimer, his son, and get $1.00 for exhibition tickets which he sold. I then went over and carried a Singing Pilgrim to Harriet Phillips. JANUARY 30 THURSDAY - Pleasant and mild after the snowstorm. I have worked in the shop. I came home feeling nearly sick. The German who disappeared last Monday was found in Turner Street. He was crazy. He seemed not to know where he had been or how long he had been gone. He is a hat maker and works for Henry Crofut. His name is Steiner. His wife, before he married her, lived with Father Griswold, a servant when they first came to Danbury when they resided in the old Parsonage. After tea, I shoveled the snow off the walk in front of my house and to Mr. Pond's gate. I then went into the street and to the church and opened the Infant Class money box and took from it $5.26 and put it into the Sunday School Treasury. I went into Prayer Meeting a few minutes before its close. JANUARY 31 FRIDAY - Pleasant but very cold last night and this morning. I have worked in the shop. Gussie went to the Sewing Society in the evening at Dr. Brown's. Louise stayed with Georgie while I went to the Society to get my key which I lent to Mrs. Holmes to clean the Librarian's Room. From there, I went over to the church and made a fire in the new stove in the Library to see if it would draw. Brother George Starr left a draft of $90.00 at the house for me today to take with me to New York tomorrow and put with other money from the treasury and pay N. Tibbels , 37 Park Row for the new Library books - $158.68.






Purdy, Horace, 1835-1909. “Horace Purdy Journal January 1868 Entry.” Horace Purdy Journals, MS 044. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 18 Nov. 2019.

Document Viewer


Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.