Horace Purdy Journal June 1867 Entry

Dublin Core




JUNE 01 SATURDAY - Pleasant; no work in the shop. I went down, however, after breakfast and arranged with Charles Purdy to draw my pay and bring it to me at noon with a new 3 D Pearl cassimere hat which I bought and left to be trimmed and curled. He brought me the money at noon and the hat as he came at night. I spent the day working with Mr. Pond. We worked in company. We worked on his premises the first part of the day digging his flower borders and later in my yard making over the flower bed by the piazza and mowing the north and front door yard. The south, I have previously mowed and raked off. After tea, Gussie went into the street. While she was gone, Robert Dunning came into the yard to look at my strawberries. When Gussie returned, I went into the street with Robert. I got my Harper's Weekly at the news office, called at Swift's a few minutes and then walked up with Charles Bennett. George and Bell came here. Bell stayed with Georgie while Gussie and George went over to John Bouton's. They returned about 10 o'clock and George and Bell went home and we soon retired. JUNE 02 SUNDAY - Pleasant in the forepart of the day. Gussie went to church in the morning and came home at noon to let me go to Sunday School. I did not stay to the Prayer Meeting in the P.M., but came home after Sunday School in order to get through with my Sunday School writing and tea early in order to go up to see Father who is sick. Bell came here after Sunday School and stayed to tea and went up with us. Before going, I wrote to Carlton & Porter for the Sunday School ordering 2 dozen Judd's Lessons for each Sunday in the year, Nos. 1 and 2, a dozen of each; also 2 dozen catechisms, Nos. 1 and 2, a dozen of each; also another copy of the Sunday School Journal for the remaining 4 months of our Sunday School paper year (for Charles Barnum). The amount of the bill was $4.08, which I enclosed. It commenced raining as we got to Dr. Hendrick's going up home, so Gussie turned about with Georgie in his carriage and went home while Bell and I went on. Father is not dangerously sick; it is only a stitch (as he calls it) in his back and neck, making him so lame that he can hardly move. I came home about 7 o'clock and went down to the Post Office and mailed the letter to Carlton & Porter ordering the things as before named. I returned without going to church on account of the rain. JUNE 03 MONDAY - No work in the shop. I however went downtown morning and got a new pearl cassimere trimmed and curled for Mr. Pond and brought it home to him at noon. I selected it from a lot of damaged ones and got it for half price - $1.00. A perfect one would cost $3.00. It was so nearly perfect that few would ever know the difference. I commenced weeding my strawberries before dinner. While I was at the shop getting the hat for Mr. Pond, George came and trimmed out my dooryard walks for me. I found them nicely done and he gone when I came home. After dinner, I went into the street and had more talk with Mr. Swift about business. He had pretty much concluded to to sell out, but we took a new tack and talked about going in company and take the New York store with the one here and run both, one of us to be in the city and the other one here and exchange so that each can be home with his family half of the time. After tea, I went up with Dr. Kellogg over to Theodore Lyons' for some oat straw for his horse's bedding. It was dark when we returned. He borrowed Rollo Nichols' box wagon to go with. I went into the street again late in the evening and had a talk again with Swift. I came home and talked with Father Griswold. He approves and we intend going to New York tomorrow morning to see about the business there. Bell came down this evening and sprouted my potatoes for me. I am going to pay her in potatoes. She worked late and will stay all night. JUNE 04 TUESDAY - A beautiful day. I went to New York this morning with Mr. Swift to see about the picture frame business at 68 Carmine Street which we have been talking about buying. We saw the business and before we got home, concluded not to go in company. The expense of doing business would be so large that it would not net profit enough for bother. I pretty much concluded to buy out the New York store myself and start it alone. It is owned by Henry D. Clark. After arriving in town this evening, I saw Mr. Jabine at the Post Office and walked up home with him to talk about the business and money from the Savings bank to buy it with. JUNE 05 WEDNESDAY - Another beautiful day. Before breakfast, I went down to Mr. Swift's house to get some statistics on paper regarding the New York store. It was so late before I got my breakfast that I had a hard headache which lasted me all day. I never the less had business to attend to. I had to make my application to the Savings bank for $1,200 which was granted on a joint note of Father Griswold and myself. I went to the shop and bought a 4 D. pearl cassimere for Mr. Swift. He telegraphed for me to Mr. Clark saying that 'all was right regarding the money' and that I would be down in the morning. I went with Mr. Swift to the Savings Bank and made arrangements for him to draw my $1,200 in my absence in New York. I went into Dr. Kellogg's office and took some medicine for my headache. After tea, I felt better and went into the street and borrowed $50 of Mr. Swift to buy a commutation ticket on the New York and New Haven Railroad provided I make all things right in New York regarding the store. I have made arrangements for George to go with me and be head salesman. I received lesson Books, Catechisms and Sunday School papers for the Book Room today. I did not send money enough and had to remit the balance with the bill to be receipted by mail. George helped me bush my peas this P.M. JUNE 06 THURSDAY - Another pleasant day. George went with me to New York this morning as clerk in my store. We took the steamer, 'Neversink'. We got aground getting out of Norwalk Harbor, and together with having to up to the bridge and down to Gregory's Point to the boat, we were to nearly noon getting to the city. We found Mr. Clark at his new place of business in the Gilbert Clock Manufacturing Company of Winsted, Connecticut at 12 Cortlandt Street. We took dinner and then spent the afternoon completing our bargain of me buying his store at 68 Carmine Street. I paid by check on the Danbury National Bank for $1,000 and gave him four notes of $125 for three, six, nine and twelve months for the remaining $500. I gave him a chattel mortgage on fixtures of the store as security and then brought the notes home with me to have O. H. Swift endorse them. We also went to the office of the Greenwich Insurance Company and had the insurance transferred to me. Then we went to the Manhattan Gas Company and deposited $12.00 for meter as security for payment of gas. As I came home, I bought a commutation ticket at the 27th Street Depot for six months - $80. Our butter came from Ohio today. I paid the expressage for it - $3.45. I also before I came home engaged William Mansfield to bring me a ton of coal tomorrow. JUNE 07 FRIDAY - Before breakfast, I went up to see Oscar Serrine about getting my apron, overshirt, towel and tools at the shop. Also gave him my check with 20 cents with which to pay my dues to the Hatters' Society and draw my traveling card. I started for the cars in good season and went to Mr. Swift's house and gave him the note to take to the Savings Bank and draw $1,200 for me which they have agreed to loan me. I also borrowed $29.00 of him, he to take it from the money he draws for me at the bank. When I arrived at the store in the city, I found Daniel there, George having gone out with William Hayes to get acquainted with parties who patronize and work for the store, also some from whom to buy frames. The day has been hot. We made some sales and took some orders for work. I took dinner with George at his boarding house; also tea and I am to stay all night. JUNE 08 SATURDAY - I stayed with George last night . It commenced raining about 6 o'clock this morning. It rained at times during the day, though not very hard. I went to buy picture frames and glass this forenoon. The account books which I ordered yesterday of Crawford & Nadine were sent to the store this P.M. I commenced to arrange in the front basement under the store for a workroom but had to leave it to go home. Just as the train left 27th Street at 4 o'clock, it commenced raining and rained very hard all the way to Norwalk. When we arrived at Redding, I perceived that it had not rained there. Gussie was waiting for me at the Depot. We did some marketing and then went to Mr. Swift's store before coming home to get the balance of the money which he drew for me yesterday at the Savings Bank. He paid the interest on the note of $1,200, stamped the same, deposited $1,000 in Danbury bank for the check of that amount I gave Henry Clark towards the business I bought from him. He bought me a large pocket book and had left for me in cash $64.50. After tea (which was late), I went to see Mr. Pond about the butter which came from Edwin and paid him my half of the amount $14.01 which with his half he will remit in a few days to Edwin. JUNE 09 SUNDAY - Stormy until after dinner. On account of the storm, we did not go to meeting. After tea, I went over to see Dr. Kellogg a few minutes and then went up home to get George's shawl and hairbrush to take to him in New York tomorrow morning. Bell stayed with us last night and today and will stay with us tonight. Gussie and I went to meeting in the evening. Brother George Hughes of New Jersey, agent of the Freedmen's Bureau, preached. Brother Hill, our old pastor, now from Redding, was with us and read the closing hymn. I took a card and went the length of the aisle to solicit for the freedmen. I got nothing. JUNE 11 MONDAY - A beautiful day. I packed up some of my carpenter's tools before breakfast and took them with me to New York to put up a bench to join frames. I was too busy to make my bench, so I came home without making it. Gussie went to the depot to meet me. We went together and paid for a half ton of coal bought last Friday of Sproule & Mansfield. JUNE 11 TUESDAY - Pleasant. I went to the city again as usual. I had a great deal of running about to do and was very tired when I returned to the store. I took it easy the rest of the day. I brought home George's washing and my new shoes which I put on in D. M. Benedict's Store, leaving my boots to be mended. JUNE 12 WEDNESDAY - Pleasant. I went to the city as usual. I bought a vise for my workbench in the basement of the store. As I came home, I went to the Bible House and got three bibles for Emily Anderson, Harriet Wheeler and Aunt Louise. As I came from the Depot this evening, I stopped at D. M. Benedict's and got my boots which I left there last evening to be mended. In the evening, I went over to Mr. Pond's and he reported that the butter which came for us from Ohio did not hold out. It was billed for 111 pounds but it would weigh only 101 pounds and six ounces. JUNE 13 THURSDAY - pleasant and very warm. I took a fine bouquet with me to the city this morning and put in my show window. I built my work bench for joining frames in the basement of my store today. Gussie went to Ridgefield with Mrs. Short and carried her rags to be woven today. They had Alfred Gregory's horse. After tea, I got out a piece of cherry from Mr. Pond's barn to attach to my new frame making plane I mailed a letter to Edwin this morning intending to enclose a money order of $26.78 for butter but was too late for the morning mail and left the amount with Dr. Brown to be sent by the afternoon mail which he sent this P.M. JUNE 14 FRIDAY - Pleasant. I went to New York as usual. I finished putting up my apparatus for joining frames at my store today. I bought a crate of strawberries at Washington Market for Christian Quien. The locomotive gave out on the New York & New Haven tonight so that we were obliged to get another one at Stamford. JUNE 15 SATURDAY - I took some clean clothes down to George this morning to the city. I have felt about sick today. I repaired Mrs. McCormick's looking glass today. She lives at 19 McDougal Street. Eliakim Wildman called at the store to see me today but I was out. I saw him on the train coming home. Gussie and Louise met me at the depot this evening and I went with them to market. Daniel Minnerly, my boy gilder gave me his picture today. I promised him one of myself. JUNE 16 SUNDAY - Cloudy and hazy in the morning, but it finally came off hot and oppressive. Bell stayed with us last night as she has been doing for a week past. Gussie went to church in the morning. She came home at noon and I went down to Sunday School. I came home after school to do my Sunday School writing and to rest, as I am pretty nearly tired out from last week's work in the city. Bell came here to tea and to stay all night. A thunder shower about 6 P.M. We did not go out in the evening on account of the rain. We picked some flowers before the shower and made a bouquet in the evening which I expect to take with me to the city tomorrow morning. Mr. Pond called in the evening while we were making the bouquet. JUNE 17 MONDAY - I rose early and helped Mr. Pond grind his scythe before breakfast. I took a large bouquet to the city with me for one of the conductors on the 6th Avenue cars which I promised last Friday, I believe. I gave a bill which Russell Smith owes me to David B. Booth as I went to the cars this morning for him to give to Constable Crosby to collect for me. It commenced raining as the cars left and rained hard until I got to New York. It came off pleasant and hot in the middle of the day in the city, though they tell me it has rained nearly all day here at home. As we were coming out from the city, it clouded over again and here at home it looks as if it would rain at any moment. Later - 10 o'clock. Clear and pleasant; the stars are shining brightly. JUNE 19 WEDNESDAY - A pleasant day. I went to the city as usual. I took dinner at Mr. Thompson's where George boards. I bought a pound of coffee for William Warren at the Great American Tea Company and let Mr. Fanton have it on the train before I got home. I bought 4 feet of green worsted fringe for Mr. Smith and brought it home with me. Before tea, I put grass around my strawberries around a part of them. I worked until dark and then drank my tea. JUNE 20 THURSDAY - Pleasant. I rode as far as Norwalk in the mail car with Mr. Swift. I got out at 42nd Street when the engine left the train and walked from there over to 6th Avenue with J. M. Potter and his brother. I bargained with George Baker (a son of the woman who lives on the upper floor over my store) to paint the front of the store. He commenced it immediately. I worked again as long as I could see putting grass around my strawberry to keep berries from lying in the dirt. JUNE 21 FRIDAY - Pleasant again today. Edward S. Davis and wife went to New York this morning. Trade has been a little better with me today. I bought a sample of tea today at the United States Tea Warehouse opposite the Great American, I having heard that they gave a better article for the money than the Great American. I brought home a frame from New York to show Mr. Swift. JUNE 22 SATURDAY - Pleasant. I had Father Griswold's company to Norwalk this morning, he going east to his work as elder and I to New York. I went with George to dinner at his boarding place at Mr. Ferguson's. After dinner, I went downtown and bought a chrome lithograph (The Chickens) for a customer. I brought home my ripsaw this evening from the city. Gussie met me at Raymond's Fish Market when the train arrived. I did some marketing with her and then came home. She having some more errands to do, I left her in the street. I had strawberries and milk for supper. Wells Webster and wife came to Father Griswold's today. JUNE 23 SUNDAY - Pleasant and warm. While Gussie was getting ready for church this morning, I took Georgie to walk over in Mr. Pond's garden to see his strawberries. Gussie came home at noon. I went to Sunday School and came home at its close to do the writing for the school. I then picked what strawberries were ripe. We had some for tea. Gave a quart to the Griswold's (Wells Webster and wife being there to tea), saving the remainder to take with me to New York in the morning. Father came down about 7 P.M. with pants and coat for George which I am to take to him in the morning. I went to church in the evening; Brother Birch preached. After church, Sherman Smith and lady (Lucy Bennett) called, he to see me about work at Yonkers, George having sent word to him that they were to commence work again on Monday. JUNE 24 MONDAY - Pleasant in the morning. I took a bag of clothes with me to the city this morning for George and a bucket (4 quarts) of strawberries to my boy in the store, Daniel Minnerly. When I got to the city in the middle of the forenoon, George took his clothes and started for Yonkers to go to work at hatting. It commenced raining about 8 o'clock this evening. After closing the store, I walked over to my boarding place in Grove Street to Mr. Ferguson's. I take the same room and bed that George left. JUNE 25 TUESDAY - I slept until 6 o'clock this morning. It rained all last night and still continues. After breakfast, I went to the store and opened it. Daniel came in a little after 7 o'clock. I completed my fixtures for joining frames today. I took the 6th Avenue cars about 4 P.M. and rode to 27th Street, from there to the depot and home where I am now writing these words. It has rained all day and we have sold nothing in the store. Theodore Bradley came up today and picked 7 quarts of strawberries for Gussie. She gave him 3 quarts to take home with him to pay for picking. JUNE 26 WEDNESDAY - The sun shone a little about 7 o'clock. It soon became thick cloudy again and more rain. I joined my first picture frames today. I took down with me this morning to the city 4 quarts of strawberries to Mrs. Baker (the lady who lives over my store). She made strawberry shortcake for tea, and my boy Daniel and I dined with her. JUNE 27 THURSDAY - Daniel spoiled a looking glass plate today by accidentally marking the back side. George Baker broke a light of glass in my showcase which stands out the door. He was painting the inside of the case when he did it. Sherman Smith came down from Yonkers this P.M. and brought me news that my house had been entered by a burglar and over $17.00 taken. A few minutes later, I received a letter from Gussie bearing the same intelligence, but both were too late for me to take the train to go home. Ill luck seems to be my portion today. JUNE 28 FRIDAY - Pleasant. Sherman Smith tried to sell sewing machine (Wheeler & Wilson) casters today for me but did not succeed very well. I took the train this P.M. and went home to see about the robbery. I found things about as represented. Constable Crosby searched the thief and found my money in his boot. Crosby now has the money in his possession. JUNE 29 SATURDAY - I returned to the city this morning. I had the company of Louise Jones going down, she having been on a visit to Mr. Jabine's. When we arrived in the city, she went with me to my store. From there, I accompanied her to Broadway and saw her in a stage for Fulton Ferry. I then went down in Beekman Street to Hallerbach's to get some porcelain headed nails for rustic frames for Mr. Swift. Sherman Smith being at the store at noon, I took him with me to dinner. George came down from Yonkers about 2 P.M. He is to stay over Sunday at my boarding place and the store until I return on Monday from home. I took the 4 o'clock train for home. Arrived about 7 1/2 P.M. Robert Cocking came back from Mr. Lynes' today to occupy our rooms again. The day has been warm. JUNE 30 SUNDAY - Pleasant and warm. Bell took Georgie home with her yesterday to stay overnight. Father went to church this morning for the first time in a long time. He let Georgie walk down home with him as he came down to church this morning. I wore my white pants today to church for the first time this summer. Gussie went to church this morning as usual. She came home at noon and I went down to Sunday School. Misses Camp and Hutchinson visited our school this noon. I took them up to see the Infant Class . As we came down, Miss Hutchinson fell down the gallery stairs. It hurt her but little, she said. She had a narrow escape. I was behind her coming down when she fell. I walked up home with them after school. Thomas Bradley came up in the P.M. and helped me pick some strawberries. I gave him 2 quarts to take home with him. After tea, I finished picking what was ripe. I had the headache after tea and on that account did not go to meeting in the evening.






Purdy, Horace, 1835-1909. “Horace Purdy Journal June 1867 Entry.” Horace Purdy Journals, MS 044. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 19 Nov. 2019.

Document Viewer


Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.