A discourse on the nature and influence of Godly fear : containing also a minister's address to his church and congregation, together with a few interesting events in their history, written in a time when he was taken off from preaching by bodily infirmities, publicly read, Lord's-day, January 31, 1802 / by Charles Backus
The Somers Congregational Church was established in1727. Prior to that the people from what is now Somers traveled to the Enfield Congregational Church. Sunday services lasted most of the day, with a two hour sermon in the morning a short break for lunch and an hour long sermon in the afternoon. It seems as though the Enfield folk did not welcome people from “East Enfield” (as Somers was known then) with open arms and considered them to be the mountain folk. The Enfield church did allow for the Somers people to get in out of the weather inside the nearby school house, as long as they cleaned up after themselves.
A committee of men from East Enfield met together and began to discuss the need for a separate church and parish. In 1727 Samuel Allis was called as the first pastor of the church.
Copy the code below into your web page
Search for related records in these catalogs:
This item has no relations.