Reports of the Fairfield County Historical Society, Bridgeport, Conn

Dublin Core

Description

v. : ill

Abstract

This volume contains the Society's reports for the years 1893-1895. The first concerns the dedication of the Barnum Institute of Science and History. The funds and land for the building and museum were provided by P. T. Barnum to house the work of the Bridgeport Scientific Society and the Fairfield County Historical Society. The structure was completed in 1893 and is home to the Barnum Museum today. Though designed to include them, no commercial properties ever occupied the first floor of the building. This led to financial instability in the original societies that resided in the building, as it was expected that income from those interests would help support the societies. With the onset of the depression, both societies faced fiscal hardship and were forced to cease operation. In 1933, the City of Bridgeport assumed ownership of the building. In 1936, the city opened the Barnum Museum.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barnum_Museum

The volume also includes by-laws of the Society, membership lists, financial reports and other officers' reports for the year 1895, as well as several historical papers read to the Society.

Finally, it includes a necrology, or list of recent deaths of members and obituaries, including prominent Danbury residents, James M. Bailey and Frederick S. Wildman.


Description based on 1893-5 edition

Identifier

b30731276
F104.F2 F23 1895

Files

reports_fairfield001.jpg
reports_fairfield002.jpg
reports_fairfield003.jpg

Collection

Citation

Fairfield Historical Society (Fairfield, Conn.). “Reports of the Fairfield County Historical Society, Bridgeport, Conn.” Rare Books. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 22 July 2019.

Geolocation

Embed

Copy the code below into your web page

Social Bookmarking

Item Relations

This item has no relations.