Horace Purdy Journal November 1866 Entry

Dublin Core




NOV 01 THURSDAY - Cool and pleasant. Wrote to Carlton & Porter before breakfast ordering 5 one dollar medals. As I went to work, I mailed it with one to Tibbel’s for Centenary books and papers. I had work all day in the shop. Mr. Warren was married this P.M. at 4 o’clock and took the train for Newark, New Jersey. George stood up with him with Charlotte, his wife’s sister. They accompanied them as far as Norwalk and returned on the evening train. I consulted D. B. Booth in the evening about the time of a bank account being outlawed, having in view factorizing Fred Jennings. After the wedding, Gussie went up on Deer Hill for Georgie where he has been since Sunday. Before retiring, I wrote to Edwin to have him send Serine’s butter direct to me. Mrs. Stone was in a while in the evening. As she went home, I sent the letter to the Office by her. The “Columbian” baseball Club of this town went to New Milford today to play a match game with “Weannitaug” of that town. The game stood Weannitaug 14, Columbians, 60. NOV 02 FRIDAY - Beautiful day. I went to the shop early and finished off my work and went to Mrs. Blair’s for the dog that had just come home from George Beebe’s who stole him last Tuesday. I came home and George with me started on a hunting excursion. I borrowed McDonald’s gun for George. We started out between Town and Middle Mountain, across Middle and up the valley between Middle and Thomas. We got 3 woodcock, 3 quails and a lark. George went home and changed his clothing and came down and took tea with us. I came home with a severe headache but felt better after tea. George and Gussie went up in the evening to see Henry Hinman and wife and Harriet at Mr. Jabine’s. NOV 03 SATURDAY - George came this way this morning as he went to the depot to start for Brooklyn. I gave him some apples to take to Louise Jones and went with him to the depot. I went to the shop, but there was no work. I came home and cleaned Mr. McDonald’s gun that George used yesterday and took it home. I then went to the shop and got my pay and came home to dinner, Stopping at the Post Office on the way and got the Centenary papers and books which I ordered a few days ago. After dinner, I pulled my beets and parsnips and put them in sand in the cellar. I also sorted my apples in Father Griswold’s barn. I went to market in the evening, gave my account with Fred Jennings for rent in 1859 to Constable Crosby for prosecution. Bought a pair of rubber boots of C. H. Reed and brought them home –price $5.00. I got them on credit. Received by mail the five medals I ordered on Thursday at the Book Room. I got a receipted bill today of A. G. Crosby for my winter’s coal. NOV 04 SUNDAY - Pleasant in the forenoon, but cloudy and cool in the P.M. While we were eating breakfast, Mr. Curtis came over with some bones, bits of meat, etc. from the market for the dog. Gussie attended church as usual in the morning. Our new preacher, Brother Peck preached for us for the first time today. I wrote to the “Book Room” ordering more Sunday School Advocates. Also lessons for every Sunday in the year and a few easy lessons. I attended church in the evening and mailed it as I went. NOV 05 MONDAY - Pleasant but cold. It froze all day in the shade. I had work nearly all day in the shop. Mr. Curtis took Blair’s gun on trial to hunt with today. I let him take “Bird” also. A letter from George with $10 enclosed to pay borrowed money when Mr. Warren was married. Paid for rubber boots and bought a pair of leather gloves of Benedict & Nichols for $.90. I answered George’s letter and mailed it in the evening. I gathered the remaining few sweet apples by the south door. NOV 06 TUESDAY - Cold last night but a little warmer today. I had work nearly all day in the shop. Before tea, I picked a little sweet corn which was left I the garden and then pulled up the stalks. I went to market in the evening and called on Charles Crosby to see if he collected for me the $10.00 of Fred Jennings who is working at Rundle & Whites. He could not get it as there was nothing coming to him on the books. I also inquired of D. B Booth about the time allowed soldiers to send in their claims to government for bounties on behalf of George. I came home early to let Gussie go down and see about a new hat. Election in New York and a number of other states today. NOV 07 WEDNESDAY - Pleasant and warmer. I had work nearly all day in the shop. I received lesson books, easy lessons, and Sunday School Advocates for the Sunday School. After shop work, I put the rest of my cabbages in the cellar. Gussie went to the milliner’s in the evening while I stayed with Georgie and marked off the Sunday School Advocates. William H. Hanford was buried yesterday in Norwalk. He died in New York City. NOV 08 THURSDAY - A warm pleasant day. I had work nearly all day in the shop. Before tea, I took Bird, the dog, over home to see his mistress and to get some remnants they had saved for him. I made some arrangements with Mr. Curtis to go hunting tomorrow (there being no more work this week for me). I went to market in the evening and received a letter from George by the evening mail concerning soldiers’ bounty, etc. Before retiring, I wrote a reply. Gussie took Georgie up home in order to be able to attend Rev. Mr. Stone’s child’s funeral this P.M. Bell came home with him in the evening and broke the handle to the carriage. NOV 09 FRIDAY - A warm, pleasant day. Mr. Curtis and I went out hunting. George Sears died this morning. I received a letter this evening from Henry Blair saying that he had made arrangements with George Beebe of Brookfield of Brookfield to take Bird for the winter and asked me to give him up when Beebe calls for him. I was surprised and disappointed but penned a reply that I would cheerfully give him up though I regretted to lose him. I went to the office before retiring. Susan Brayman and Sarah Coles called early in the evening and Gussie went with them up to see Anna Hinman. NOV 10 SATURDAY - Pleasant and warm again today. I went hunting with Mr. Curtis. We returned about 5 P.M. After tea, I went into the street to do some errands and returned early to let Gussie go to the milliner’s. NOV 11 SUNDAY - I am 31 years old today, if I was born in 1835. If in 1834 (as there is some doubt in my mind about it owing to a mistake in our family records), I am 32 years old. I felt rather old this morning, the result of the last two days’ hunting trips. Gussie attended church in the morning. I went down to Sunday School after which I came home without staying to the Communion Service I the P.M. Cloudy all day and about 9 ½ o’clock in the evening, it commenced raining. After tea, I copied a list of subscribers to the Sunday School Centenary Fund to send to New York for publication. Gussie completed a letter this evening to Cousin Eliza in California. NOV 13 MONDAY - But little rain this morning. Cloudy this morning. It came off pleasant in the P.M. and grew colder. I went to the shop expecting work, but there was none. George Beebe came and took “Bird” (Blair’s dog) this morning. I went over to Mr. McDonald’s before dinner and got the handle to the baby carriage which he has been mending for me. I also fastened the wormer on the ram rod to my gun, which came off the other day. In the P.M., I repaired my inside cellar door and shoveled over a pile of muck and manure and wheeled it onto the north side of my garden, which job lasted me until dark. I gave on subscription $.50 to the widow of George Sears. A meteoric shower looked for tomorrow bout 3 o’clock, it being an event occurring about once in 33 years. NOV 12 TUESDAY - Pleasant. The meteoric shower expected this morning did not appear. It will confidently be looked for tomorrow morning. I had work all day in the shop. Father Griswold came home today from Hartford and brought the remains of infant daughter, who died at the age of ___years ___ ago. As I came home from work, I took a letter from the office from Edwin saying that he could not furnish Oscar Serine the butter he wanted. Gussie went to the milliner’s in the evening. Louise came down and stayed with Georgie while I went over to Mr. Pond’s and held lamp for him to finish off a partition in his cellar. Before retiring, I wrote a reply to Edwin’s letter. NOV 14 WEDNESDAY - The meteoric shower did not appear this morning as expected. I went to the shop and finished off2 hats left over from yesterday; there being no more to do, I came home. I went to the church and opened the Infant Class Collection Box and took from it $1.55 and added to their amount of Centenary money. I then got from the Danbury Bank, a draft of $31.07 and mailed to Carlton & Porter, the same being the balance of the Centenary Fund on hand, making total sent $392.37. I also wrote to Henry Blair about his unfair treatment to me in taking away his dog. As I went to the shop in the morning, I mailed to Edwin a reply to his stating that he could not supply Oscar Serine the butter he wanted. Gussie dyed yellow for carpet bags this forenoon. I worked around home in the P.M. After tea, I went over to Mr. Pond’s and held lamp for him to work in his cellar until about 8 o’clock when I went to market. NOV 15 THURSDAY - I sat up a portion of last night to watch for the metric (meteor) shower but the latter part of the night was too cloudy to see if it had appeared. It either came in the daytime or the clouds prevented us from viewing it in the night. It has been stormy today. I went to the shop in the morning, but there was no work. I have been sick this P.M. with a headache caused doubtless from sitting up last night. After tea, I felt better and went to market. It rained steady in the evening. NOV 16 FRIDAY - A hard rainstorm last night which drove into the house through the roof in a shocking manner. I went to the shop this morning, expecting work, but the few hats which they intended to have finished did not give satisfaction and they were left. I went from there down to the courthouse expecting to hear an argument between the councils on the Great Adams Express Robbery case. But the principal counsel on the part of the prisoners, Judge Stewart of New York being absent, the judge threw it out of court and now it remains only to sentence the prisoners, they having been convicted. When the verdict before the prisoners was brought in, their counsel (Stewart) asked for an arrest of judgment claiming that one of the jury had previously expressed an opinion in the case thereby making the verdict illegal. Sentence was therefore postponed in order that there might be a hearing regarding the juryman in question and this morning was set apart for that purpose. Father Griswold gave me a wheelbarrow load of Hubbard Squash. I went into the street early to order blue ink, made at the druggist, one pint for dying purposes. I came home to let Gussie go to Mrs. Keeler’s to get a dress plaited. Louise came down and took care of Georgie in the evening. Georgie is two years old today. NOV 17 SATURDAY - Pleasant. I went to the shop this morning expecting work, but there was none. It being payday, I got my account cashed by John Greene - $14.00. I came home about 11 o’clock and found Gussie gone again with the baby. I made a new slide of a draft in Father’s stove. I got a piece of tinder to repair my gate. I nailed down the siding on the south side of my house on the upper story. It had warped and sprung up so that the rain drove under and came into the house. Gussie returned about 6 o’clock with Bell, having left Georgie up home to stay all night. Bell took the stove draft I made for Father and Georgie’s night clothes and went home while Gussie and I went to market. We bought a pint of blue ink at the druggist for dying purposes. NOV 18 SUNDAY - Gussie attended church as usual in the morning. I stayed home to wait for Georgie to come home from Deer Hill. Soon after Gussie went to church, Father came with him. He is not very well. We think he is troubled with worms. I went to Sunday School and to prayer meeting in the P.M. Mother was to church in the afternoon and came home with me to tea. After tea, I went up home and got some fig paste of Mother to give Georgie. John Brayman was up there and walked down with me as I returned. I brought Father’s parlor stove’s door home with me to fit in the draft I made for him yesterday. I shall try and do it sometime this week. I wrote to Carlton & Porte ordering one dozen No. 1 catechisms for the Sunday School. Bell and Mrs. Stone called just before evening meeting time. I went to church in the evening. Brother Peck preached from the 4th verse of 23rd Psalm, a good sermon. NOV 19 MONDAY - Cloudy a great part of the day but no rain and warm for November. I had work all day in the shop. I went to market for Mother Griswold in the evening and called on Dr. Bulkley who is quite poorly having symptoms of worms. I received by mail three copies of “The Great American Tea Company Advocate”. NOV 20 TUESDAY - A little rain last night; also a little this morning. Cloudy during the day but the moon shone in the evening. It has been quite warm for the season. I fitted the new damper in Father’s parlor stove this forenoon. We took dinner at Mother Griswold’s. In the P.M., I went into the street and bought some putty and spent the last part of the P. M. stopping with putty the cracks and crevasses in the siding of my house where I think it leaks – upper story, south side, over the wing roof. I begin to think the trouble with Georgie is constipation as we gave him an injection to move his bowels this morning and he has appeared like a different child since. The trustees of the church had a meeting last evening at which they decided to move off the old parsonage building and build a new one. Bell called a short time this P.M. Charles Crosby told me today that he had served the writ on Fred Jennings last Saturday factorizing Rundle & White, his employers, the $10.00 he owes me and that he, Jennings refuses to pay it saying that he does not owe me. The bill will come, so Crosby tells me on the ___. Gussie having to go out to the street this evening to do some shopping, I stayed at home with Georgie to let her go. NOV 21 WEDNESDAY - No work in the shop. I went in the morning to see D. B. Booth about the writ served to collect from Fred Jennings what he owes me and found that Booth had made a mistake in the date of the papers. He dated it Nov. 31 for the trial, which killed the document and the proceedings therefore are a failure. I got some thick paint of A. Knox to put in the shrunken places of the siding of my house and used a part of it. Night coming on prevented me from completing the job. I had a severe headache when I stopped work. I did not feel able to go out in the evening. Gussie went up home on Deer Hill for some washing fluid and carried Father’s stove door which I have been putting on a new damper. NOV 22 THURSDAY - First snow storm. It commenced about 9 A.M. and continued more or less during the day, but melted about as fast as it came down. I went to the shop and finished seven hats and then came home before dinner sick. Climbing around on the roof yesterday and a cold taken at the same time is the cause of it. Received Sunday School Advocates and Sunday School journals with a dozen No. 1 catechisms from New York, also a receipt for $31.37 for Sunday School Centenary money previously sent. I felt better after tea. Louise came down in the evening with a pair of socks from Mother Griswold which was Father Griswold’s and too small for him. I can wear them and she gave them to me. NOV 23 FRIDAY - It has been cooler today. It has snowed a little at times through the day. I feel miserable today, though better than yesterday. I worked in the ship until the middle of the P.M. I took a letter from the Office this morning which came from George last night. Another again from him by the morning mail. He has been sick most of the time since he returned to Brooklyn. He has but little work to do and little pay for doing it. I wrote a hasty letter to him by the afternoon mail and another more at length this evening advising him to come home if he could not earn his board. The bell tolled this morning for Wilie Crosby, son of Judah Crosby of Mill Plain. I wrote this evening also to the publishers of the Methodist inquiring about new subscribers in getting up a club. Gussie sold a roll of salve this morning to Amos Purdy. NOV 24 SATURDAY - Cold; but little bright sunshine during the day. I had work all day in the shop. As I went to work in the morning, I left the Sunday School papers and some catechisms at church. John McNamee bought my feed cutter of me today. I am to wait awhile for the pay - $9.00. I went to market in the evening and to the depot to see if George would come as I somewhat expected him. NOV 25 SUNDAY - Squalls of snow in the morning. Just before breakfast, “Bird” H. Blair’s dog (which I had kept for him about a month in Oct and Nov. and has been since with George Beebe on Stony Hill) came into the yard very unexpectedly. He came in and we gave him his breakfast after which I took him over to Mrs. Blair’s knowing that I had no right to keep him, but she wished me to take him home with me and secure him so that Beebe should not get him again until Henry comes home on Thanksgiving. I did as she requested. Gussie attended church this morning. I went down to Sunday School. I worked at renumbering some of the library books so long after school that I did not get to the afternoon meeting. I received for the Sunday School Centenary Fund another dollar from Theo Lyon’s class I mailed it to William Hoyt 200 Mulberry Street New York, The general Secretary of the Centenary Society. Gussie went with Louise at 5 o’clock to the Band of Hope. In the meantime, Mrs. Stone and Susan Brayman called and stayed until church time. I attended church in the evening. Brother Peck preached an excellent sermon from St. John, 10:28. NOV 26 MONDAY - Pleasant and I think a little warmer though pretty cool today. It remained hard frozen in the shade all day. I went to the shop and finished of some hats left over from Saturday and then came home with the sick headache, leaving what little work there was to be done today over until tomorrow. I felt better just at night and went to market and bought a bear’s pluck for “Bird” and then went up home to see Mother about writing for Aunt Abby and Eddie Palmer to come and spend Thanksgiving with us. I found that she had written for them last Saturday. I then came home to tea. In the evening, I went into the street and got pay of George Crofut & Son for two of the three sifters left there which had been sold. - $1.60 – there being still one left there not sold. I then went to the depot somewhat expecting George, but he did not come. Borrowed chain at Charles Hull’s for dog. NOV 27 TUESDAY - Pleasant and warmer than yesterday. I had work until noon in the shop. In the P.M., I repaired my front gate. Before tea, I went over home with Bird to let him have a run to stretch his legs after being chained all day. Mrs. Blair gave me a small pail of scrapings to bring home and feed him. I went to market in the evening and got a small bottle of ale for Georgie to see if it will do him good. I called at Miss Adams and got Gussie’s straw jockey which she has been pressing over into a gladiator for her. George Tracy was married this P.M. at 3 o’clock to Laura Wildman. NOV 28 WEDNESDAY - Warm, but little sunshine. Showers of rain during the P.M. I went to the shop this forenoon to get my pay (which was postponed until today on account of Thanksgiving). I took my chisels down and ground them while waiting for my pay. When I returned, I oiled all of my tools. After dinner, I raked off a part of my dooryard and then went as far as Mount Thomas with my gun and dog. I went more to give Bird a little run than anything else. I got no game. In the evening, I went to the depot to meet George and Aunt Abby and Eddie Palmer if they should come. I saw Sherman Smith who came in from Brooklyn yesterday. He says George is not coming home. The train was an hour and 40 minutes behind time. It did not arrive until 20 minutes before 10 o’clock. A rainbow in the east just before sundown. NOV 29 THURSDAY - Thanksgiving Day. Henry Blair came today over for his dog. I went to the depot this morning at 10 O’clock to meet Aunt Abby and Eddie Palmer, but they did not come. So we went up home to help our folks eat their turkey. I went down to Bunker’s (?) and got 3 quarts of ____ for dinner. We left Georgie up there to stay all night and came home ourselves just after dark. Gussie went over to John Bouton’s in the evening; I retired before she returned. NOV 30 FRIDAY - The same kind of weather as yesterday and the day before. A little sunshine, cloudy and occasional showers of rain. Just before night the wind blew up colder and gave signs of coming off clear and cold, but did not do so before retiring. I went to D.B. Booth’s office at 9 A.M. and got papers applying for additional bounty for George made out ready for his signature and witnesses and am to send to him by Sherman Smith tomorrow who works with him in Brooklyn. George is to see them properly signed and remail them to D. B. Booth. In the P. M., I got some mortar of Lyman Richards and added a little lime to it (which it needed) and went on to my house and painted my chimney. The mortar between the bricks being nearly all washed out and I feared it would be tumbling down some windy day. I too up fennel roots in the P.M. Mother sent down a baked chicken, a mince pie, a turkey leg and a half loaf of cake to send to George. I put them up carefully in a bundle and then wrote a letter to George. About 8 o’clock and while Gussie was downtown, Sherman Smith and his lady Miss Bennett called for the bundles and letter to George which I gave them. Another rainbow in the north this time just before sundown.






Purdy, Horace, 1835-1909. “Horace Purdy Journal November 1866 Entry.” Horace Purdy Journals, MS 044. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 28 Jan. 2020.

Document Viewer


Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.