Horace Purdy Journal October 1866 Entry

Dublin Core




OCT 01 MONDAY - Gussie went to Norwalk this morning with Susan Brayman to visit with her for a few days. When I went to work, I left Georgie up to Father Griswold’s until noon when Bell came down and took him up home with her to stay until Gussie returns. It being Town election, I left my work at 9 A.M. and went down and voted. I came home and got my supper which consisted of bread milk and pie, after which I helped Louise catch some chickens on an apple tree and put them in the stable. I then went up into Father Griswold’s study to pay him my interest money, but not being able to know the price of gold today, we deferred out business until tomorrow evening. I went into the street in the evening to market and to the Post Office. OCT 02 TUESDAY - Pleasant. I cooked my breakfast this morning alone, put up my dinner, locked the house and went to work. As I came from work this evening, I took a letter from the Office from George soliciting a dollar to pay a washing bill. After supper, I wrote a reply and enclosed the dollar. As I was writing, Louise came in with her collecting paper for the Centenary Fund and to have me put down my name. She was going to meeting and I to market, so I walked down with her. While in the street, I saw Hanford Fairchild and he gave me the $200 he was to lend me for three months. I paid the interest in advance - $4.50 and gave my note for the $200. This transaction is on behalf of George, who will some time I hope pay it back again. When I returned from the street, I went up and paid my interest to Father Griswold. I pay him the interest he would have received on the 5/20 bonds which he sold to get the money for me. The price of gold at the present makes my interest for the past 6 month $47.85, but he would take only $44.00. OCT 03 WEDNESDAY - I took breakfast up to Father Griswold’s. I worked in the shop until nearly noon when I quit and went to the Danbury Bank and took up my note of $260. I then came home and took dinner again with the Griswold’s. I picked apples in the P.M. for Father Griswold from the tops of the trees where he could not reach. I had half for picking them. I got about two bbls. for myself for my afternoon’s work. I went up home to tea and to see Georgie. He has been there since Monday and is happy as can be. I went to market in the evening and brought home from the tinner’s the pail I left there this morning to have some inside fixtures put in for a dinner pail. OCT 04 THURSDAY - A heavy frost this morning. I got my own breakfast and went to the shop. When I got there, I caught the boys playing a trick on me by picking the lock to my drawer and drawing part way out and loading it with old iron and other rubbish, the weight of this broke down the drawer. This made me provoked since it took me and hour or more to repair the damages. I worked until after 2 P.M. and then came home to finish picking apples on shares for Father Griswold. Before tea, I went down to Charles Hull’s for a new length of pipe for the cook stove. I took tea with Father Griswold’s folks. Brought our washing home from Mrs. Dunning’s in the evening. Received a letter by evening mail from Edwin saying that he had engaged 100 lbs. of butter for me as I requested. I went to the depot in the evening thinking perhaps that Gussie might come, but she did not. While waiting for the train in Bailey’s Jewelry Store, I paid W. Worthington dues to Hatters Association from April 10 to Oct 10. Clock from Bailey’s. It runs really well now. OCT 05 FRIDAY - A heavy frost this morning. The ground was frozen quite hard and ice on a pail of water out of doors was frozen ¼ inch thick. I got my breakfast alone. As I was ready to eat it, Louise came down with some griddle cakes smoking hot which relished nicely. Gussie came home from her visit to Norwalk with Susan Brayman on this morning’s train. She has been gone since Monday. Sarah Coles went with them; they had a good time, they say. Andrew Hull came for my stove this afternoon and repaired it with new bricks and pipe and blacked it. He came back with it about 5 ½ o’clock P.M. and set it up for us. I made a fire in it when I came home which felt good. Bell came home with Georgie just at night. He has been up there since Monday. I carried the carpet bag home to Mrs. Bradley which Gussie borrowed to take with her. I went to market and to George Hull & Sons to settle for repairs on the stove, but the bill not being made out, I deferred settlement until some other time. OCTOBER 06 SATURDAY - A heavy frost again this morning, about the same as yesterday. The day has been pleasant, though cool. We were limited in our work today in the shop for the first in a long time. We had only one dozen which was less than half a day’s work. After we were paid off, which was about 2 1/2 o’clock, I went up and paid George Hull off for repairing my stove - $10.00. I bought of Charles Hull a yard square of zinc for the sitting room stove. I called on Brother Hill and paid him $2.75 for the Christian Advocate for George. I then came home and picked what few winter apples I had on my trees. Gussie went up home to my folks with Georgie and spent the P.M. She stayed until dark which made a late tea for me. I went to market in the evening. OCTOBER 07 SUNDAY - Pleasant and warm. Gussie attended church as usual in the morning. I went down to Sunday School at noon and came home after the session. After tea, we took Georgie and walked over to John Earl’s where I left a collector’s card for John Earl to collect for the Sunday School centenary Fund. I also left one at Henry Ely’s for Willie. When we returned, Gussie went over to John Brayman’s and I to Robert Dunning’s to see in his wife could do our washing tomorrow. I wrote to George and mailed it as I went to church in the evening. When I returned from Dunning’s he walked over with me and stayed until evening meeting time. Before retiring, I wrote to Carleton & Porter ordering Sunday School Advocates and Sunday School Journals for another year, also one dozen no. 2 catechisms. I intend tomorrow to get a check at the bank for the amount of money I want to forward to C&P. I shall retain the letter until then and enclose the check. Brother Hill did not preach but talked from the pulpit this morning. The little Irishman who preached last Sunday preached in the P.M. Isaac Sanford preached in the evening. OCTOBER 08 MONDAY - Pleasant and warm. I carried our washing over to Mrs. Dunning before breakfast. At noon, rather than leave my work, I sent by the foreman, Victor Benedict, to the Pahquioque Bank $29.10 for a check to Carlton & Porter for Sunday School papers and a dozen No. 2 catechisms for the school. We were limited in our work at the shop again today. I finished mine about 3 ½ o’clock and came home and cut some gun wads from hat roundings. Sunday School Teachers’ business meeting in the evening. As I went I mailed my order to Carlton & Porter for Sunday School Advocates and Sunday School Journals, also for a dozen No. 2 catechisms. I enclosed a check for $29.10, the amount of the bill. Before retiring, I copied the minutes of the Teachers’ meeting, also wrote to Edwin in reply to his letter received on the 4th, and wrote again ordering Scripture tickets for the Infant Class from Carlton & Porter and went immediately down and mailed them. OCTOBER 09 TUESDAY - I worked in the shop until a little after 2 o’clock to get up my stint of 2 dozen came home by way of W. E. Wright’s and had his boy drive home with me and get my kerosene oil can to fill. He took it away and returned with it after a little time with 5 gallons. I worked at chopping up some old pea brush until tea time. Charles Crofut, having sold the sifters I left there, I carried three more down in the evening as I went. I attended class in the evening. I accepted $2.60 for the sifters he had sold. OCTOBER 10 WEDNESDAY - Still cloudy and a little cooler but no rain. We had but 2 dozen hats to finish today which lasted me until nearly 4 o’clock. When I came home, I found Mrs. Cocking upstairs, she having come to her rooms to get something to take up to Mr. Lynes’ I walked out the with her to see Robert about potatoes. He thought it doubtful if they had any to spare. Gussie went over to Mrs. Daniel Starr’s to call in the P.M. When I returned from Mr. Lynes’ she had returned again. I went to market in the evening, also to Mrs. Blair’s to get Henry’s address to write about his dog. I wrote and mailed it before I retired. I tried to enter into an engagement with him to take the dog and care for him this fall for the use of him. Before tea, I went over to Mrs. Dunning’s for our washing. I paid her $1.00 for it. OCTOBER 11 THURSDAY - Pleasant. As I went to work this morning, I went to Raymond’s market and ordered a peck of quinces for Mother Griswold and a peck for myself and paid for both of them. I finished a hat for Mr. Pond just before I quit work; it was too late to get it trimmed today. Louise came down and stayed with Georgie in the evening to let Gussie go into the street with me. She went to Mrs. Grey to get a pattern for a baby’s cloak cut. By the evening mail, I received a note from E. C. Andrews acknowledging the receipt of money for the cost of sifters George purchased. OCTOBER 12 FRIDAY - Stormy. As I went to work this morning, I called at Joseph Ives to say that we would take the oil cloth which my wife and I looked at last evening. The hat I finished yesterday for Mr. Pond, I got trimmed today and brought home. After tea, I took it over to him and he paid me $3.50, just what it had cost me aside from my work. Before I came home, he took me to his house to show me the new furnace he has down cellar and the register from it in the rooms above. I received a letter from Henry Blair in New York saying that I am welcome to use his dog whenever I want him but he prefers having him at his home rather than let me keep him on account of his sister who is very fond of the dog. I went to market in the evening. I talked with Joseph Ives about John Brayman who owes him for goods bought about a year ago and promise to pay but does not. Ives spoke first of the matter; I said as little as I could against John, but could not deny the facts. The first Sunday School papers on the new year’s subscription came today. I answered Henry Blair’s letter in the evening and mailed it as I went to market. OCTOBER 13 SATURDAY - Pleasant. Bailey’s Circus and Menagerie showed here this afternoon and evening. I worked until 4 o’clock to get up my stint. As I came from work, I took from the Office a letter from Henry Blair saying that I could take his dog, “Bird”, and keep him this fall if I would be responsible for him. I also received a letter from Edwin in which was his bill for butter -105 lbs. at $.33. I went over to Mr. Pond’s after tea and showed him the bill of the butter. I then went into the street to market and called at Brother Hill’s to talk about Bell leaving our church to join the Baptists. I carried a few pears to Brother Hill. Before retiring, I answered Mr. Blair’s letter stating to him to what extent I would be responsible for his dog. OCTOBER 14 SUNDAY - I slept but little last night on account of being up with Gussie who was very sick with bilious colic and has been during today. I went for the doctor about 5 o’clock this morning, first calling Fanny to stay with her while I was gone. She has been very sick today; a high fever in the forenoon. The fever gave way in the P.M. and she had less pain across her. Her symptoms are decidedly better this evening. Just before evening meeting time, Emily Anderson and Mrs. Stone, also Susan Brayman and Mrs. Cole came to call on Gussie. After tea, I wrote to George with a letter I wrote last evening to Henry Blair I sent to the Office by Fanny as she went to meeting this evening. Emily brought me money for the Sunday School Advocates from two of her scholars – Eva Grannis and Mary Parsons. OCTOBER 15 MONDAY - Pleasant; a lovely day. Gussie not being able to get breakfast this morning, I ate mine up to Mother Griswold’s. After breakfast, they brought some delicate food down for Gussie. She finally got up and had her clothes on for the remainder of the day. I came home to dinner to look after Gussie a little. Mrs. Pond, Mrs. Davis, and Susan Brayman called during the day to see Gussie. Georgie was up to Mother Griswold’s most of the time. As I came home from work at night, I went to the Jeffersonian Office and got some old damaged envelopes for nothing. I got them (a part at least) to give to Fanny to use in the Sunday School infant class for them to enclose their centenary money to hand to the Treasury next Sunday morning. I came by the way of Mrs. Blair’s in Stevens Street to get henry’s dog, but he was not at home. Fanny came down and helped me a little about getting tea. I went to Dr. Bulkley’s in the evening to get more medicine and to settle with him for his visit on Sunday morning, which I did. I got a letter from George stating that he is about sick with a heavy cold and hard work. Enclosed was $5.00 towards what he owes me. Before coming home, I went to Blair’s again, but “Bird” was not at home. The 1st Congregational Church is being painted. A man has been at work today at the top of the spire just under the vane. I took our washing over to Mrs. Dunning’s before breakfast this morning. Answered George’s letter before retiring. OCTOBER 16 TUESDAY - Pleasant. We had but one dozen hats to finish today which I did before dinner. In the P.M., I went to the depot on the arrival of the freight train and found that the keg of butter - 105 lbs. - which I ordered for Mr. Pond and myself had come. I borrowed Joseph Ives’ horse and brought it home to Mr. Pond’s cellar. A. W. Parmalee came for two flour sifters which I let him have. Smith Pulling also came at night for one which I sold for $.80, it being damaged. I mailed a Post Office money order this evening to Edwin for the butter - $36.15. After tea, we opened it and found it to be excellent. Moses Baxter began to move out of his father’s house this evening. The old man is so ugly that they are unable to live with him; his wife has also left him. OCTOBER 17 WEDNESDAY - Pleasant. I finished my work at the shop a little after 2 o’clock. I came home by way of Widow Blair’s on Stevens Street and got Henry’s bird dog and took him home with me according to promise yesterday. I took the dog and gun and went over to Robert Cocking’s to go hunting with him, but he not being home, I went a little while alone. I shot one quail. Hanford Fairchild was married this morning at our church to Emma Fanton. I went to market in the evening. OCTOBER 18 - THURSDAY - A lovely day. I had work until noon in the shop. I came home and after dinner started to hunt a little. I found a Mr. Hill (a lame man with a club foot) before I had gone far who joined me. We found but very few birds. I got one quail; he got nothing. On our way home, I stopped up home to see Mother who has been sick for several days. After tea, I wrote a note to Fred Benedict saying that he need not bring the ½ bushel of potatoes that I spoke of on trial as I had since bought a supply. I went into the street in the evening and mailed it and got a letter from George saying that he was still feeling unwell with pains in his side. When I returned from the street, I carried the quail I shot up to Mother Griswold’s and took a dish over to Mr. Pond’s for a pound of butter, the first we have got from the new butter from Ohio. Before retiring, I wrote to Edwin telling him how well we liked the butter he sent to us, and that two days ago I mailed him a Post Office money order for the amount of the bill - $36.10 – 105 lbs. @ $.33 – Keg - $1.50. OCTOBER 19 FRIDAY - Pleasant. Gussie was called up at 12 o’clock last night to go up to Henry Hinman’s, Anna being confined in child bed. She had not returned in the morning, so I got my breakfast, took Georgie up to Mother Griswold’s and went to the shop. She came home in the forenoon, but was sent for again before I came from work which was about 3 P.M. I got my own tea again. I made out a statistical report of the Sunday School for Brother Hill and carried it to him when I went to market in the evening. I wrote to Edwin ordering butter for Oscar Serine, also to George in reply to one yesterday and requested him to come home for a week or two until he feels better. He is scarcely able to work, having a continual pain in his side. Before coming home from the street, I went up to Henry Hinman's to get Gussie to come home, but she would not. Louise came down and stayed with Georgie in the evening. Lewis Bartram brought me the bushel of potatoes today. I paid him for the - $9.00. Gussie returned from Henry Hinman’s a little after 9 o’clock. The child, which was a daughter – 8 lbs., was born a little after 7 o’clock. Susan Wildman took arsenic this morning – “for fun” she said, and this evening there is fear that she will die. OCTOBER 20 SATURDAY - Pleasant. I had work in the shop until noon. In the P.M., I went hunting down between Middle and Thomas Mountains. I shot one woodcock. Gussie went up to see Anna Hinman this afternoon. I went to market in the evening. Before retiring, I took the bird I shot up to Mother Griswold’s. OCTOBER 21 SUNDAY - Pleasant, so warm that it seems more like summer than fall. Our Sunday School Centenary meeting was held this forenoon in the audience room of the church. The usual forenoon service being omitted in order to give the time and room to the Sunday School. The money collected by the scholars was brought in which amounted to $360.02. I, being treasurer, was obliged to bring it home and count it, also give every scholar credit for the amount collected. Edward Barnum came over in the afternoon and assisted me. Asa Hill from Norwalk delivered the address to the school on the morning. He also preached in the evening. Gussie attended; I stayed home with Georgie. OCTOBER 22 MONDAY - Lowery. A little rain at times during the day, though the sun shone a little at times. The moon shone still more this evening. I took over $90.00 in currency with me as I went to the shop and disposed of it before I returned at night. I exchanged it for bills. It was the Sunday School Centenary money taken up yesterday. I had more work in the shop than I expected. I took no dinner, But John McNamara, a shopmate, brought some to me when he returned from dinner. “Bird’, the dog I am keeping for Henry Blair ran home this evening when I unchained him. I went over for him before bedtime and brought him back. The 1st Congregational Church people have been getting a new organ and this evening a free concert was given. I went in a short time and then came home. A dollar and a half counterfeit currency from the centenary currency I sold this evening to Albert Anderson, Jr. for $1.00. As Jacob Fry was coming from work this P.M., I sold him my old horse blanket, halter, curry comb and brush for $1.00. I gave George credit for the amount in the book. Wrote a letter to John Stephenson, Treasurer of the Centenary Committee, preparatory to enclosing a draft for the amount of money collected by our Sunday School which I intend to send tomorrow. OCTOBER 23 TUESDAY - Pleasant but a little cooler than last week. As I went to work in the morning, I went by way of George Starr’s and left with him $360 to take to the bank and get a draft to send to John Stephenson, Treasurer of the Conference Centenary Committee. As I came from work, I called on Mr. Starr and got the draft and mailed it with an order written last evening for Children’s Medals – 55 of the five dollar ones and 70 of the one dollar ones. At the same time, I mailed an order to N. Tibbles for 4 Children’s Centenary Anniversary books at $.60 and 6 of his Illustrated Centenary papers at $.25 each. In the evening I mailed an order for another paper for Seeley Harris. I received a letter from George today sent by Mr. Jabine with $20 enclosed. I answered it this evening. Fanny goes to Brooklyn tomorrow and I shall send some iron grease to George by her. He asked for it in his letter. I went to market in the evening and engaged Beatty to come for Fanny in the morning. Mr. Curtis, my neighbor, came home with me to get my gun to clean for me. He wants to use it a little tomorrow. I paid Alden G. Crosby this evening in Avery Raymond’s for my coal - $48.00. OCTOBER 24 WEDNESDAY - Colder today. Fanny started for Brooklyn this morning. I had work nearly all day in the shop. Mrs. Stone has been helping Gussie clean the pantry and bedroom today. Just before tea, Mr. Curtis brought my gun home which he has been using today. He cleaned and oiled it nicely before bringing it home. He gave me a small vial of woodchuck oil to use in cleaning it. I went to market in the evening and by the evening mail received a letter from George asking my advice about attending Mr. Warrens wedding. He enclosed a note to Mr. Warren accepting his invitation to stand up with him with Lottie Keeler The letter was for me to hand him providing I thought it best for George to come. I thought so and immediately wrote a reply accordingly and mailed it before retiring. I spoke about the news business here to see what he thought about it. OCTOBER 25 THURSDAY - Pleasant but colder than yesterday. My work lasted until noon in the shop. I came home and about 2 o’clock with my dog and gun went out hunting. I went down between Thomas and Middle Mountains. I shot 2 woodcock, a partridge, and a meadowlark. I came home by way of Deer Hill and stopped to see Mother. After tea, I wrote to George. I took it into the street to mail but forgot a letter I took from the office this morning for him which I intended to enclose, so I brought it home again. The centenary Pictorial papers came by the morning mail and the books came this evening. I got the Sunday School papers also this evening from the news Office. O.H. Swift’s wife and mother called this evening. OCTOBER 26 FRIDAY - Last night was the coldest we have yet had. It had somewhat the appearance of snow this morning. We were stinted again at the shop but the stint was all that I could do. . The birds I shot yesterday we had for dinner and supper today. Father Griswold had a letter from Edwin today in which he sent word to me that he thought he could provide the butter I wrote about for Oscar Serine. I received a letter from John Stephenson in which was a receipt from Carlton & Porter for the $361 Centenary money which I forwarded to him not knowing that it should be forwarded to Carlton & Porter. Enclosed also was a bill of the medals from Carlton & Porter. After tea, I went into the street and talked with Quartius Chichester about buying out the news business. The letter I wrote last evening to George, I did not mail until this evening. OCTOBER 27 SATURDAY - Pleasant. My work at the shop lasted until noon. I paid John Swertfager (editor of the Jeffersonian) for one year, ending with No. 339. I carried in my list to the assessors, W. S. Peck and E. S. Davis; talked with Swift about the news business; called at Brother Hill’s about the Centenary books from N. Tibbels. I marked off the Sunday School Journals and Advocates and carried them to the church before tea. I went to market in the evening. Gussie at the same time went over to Mrs. Stone to see about helping her clean house on Monday. Louise came down and stayed with Georgie while we were gone. When Gussie returned, George came with her. He came from Brooklyn this morning. He will stay for a week in hopes that by that time, he will feel better. He is troubled by a pain in his side and has been for some time past. Robert Fry borrowed my feed cutter this evening. He takes it for a week until he can buy one of them and in the meantime, he is to sell it for me if he has an opportunity. OCTOBER 28 SUNDAY - Pleasant but cool. I took Georgie up to his Grandma Purdy’s in the forenoon in order that we could both be at Sunday School as the Centenary medals were to be given to the children for their collections to that fund. After supper, we both went up to see Georgie and to visit with big George. As we are to clean house tomorrow, we left him up there to stay all night. George came down with us and went to church in the evening. Mr. Cummings preached for us. Susan Brayman went with us to church also. “Bird” broke chain this evening and went home. OCTOBER 29 MONDAY - I lent my gun this morning to Mr. Curtis. Mrs. Stone cleaned house for us today. I had no work in the shop and helped about the house and built a house in the woodhouse for Henry Blair’s dog “Bird” that I am keeping for him now during the hunting season. . In the P.M., George came down with me to Mr. Harris’ to get an overcoat. He found one which he thought would suit him and took it home. He is to pay for it in installments after he returns to his business in Brooklyn. He came home with me to tea and stayed in the evening. I went to market in the evening. As I went, I accompanied Mrs. Stone a part of her way home and she stepped into a hole in Montgomery Street and spilled a part of the whitewash which I gave her to carry home. Georgie is still away up to Grandma’s on Deer Hill. OCTOBER 30 TUESDAY - A terrible rainstorm last night and this forenoon. The rain came through our roof, the wall and into the sitting room badly. The streams rose the highest that they have been in 10 years. I had work all day in the shop and notwithstanding a severe headache, I worked until night. As I went to work this morning, I mailed a letter to N. Tibbels, 140 Nassau Street, New York for Brother Hill. He gave it to me last night to enclose with an order for books myself. But not being yet ready to send my order, I mailed his order. I gave $.50 today on a paper for George Sears’ who is very low with the consumption. Gussie went up home this P.M. to see Georgie. As he was doing well and seem contented, she concluded to leave him over tomorrow, it being washing day. George came down home with her a little after dark. Mrs. Stone called early in the evening and she and Gussie went uptown to see Anne Hinman. While she was gone, I went over to Mrs. Blair’s to see if “Bird” had got home but he had not. OCTOBER 31 WEDNESDAY - Cool and pleasant. No work in the shop. I took Henry Blair’s gun this morning and tried it for Charles Gilbert who thinks of buying it. In cleaning my gun, I lost the wormer from the rod in one barrel and had to take it up to the machinist to get it out. I went with George to see the Excelsior and New Milford ball clubs play a matched game on the grounds of the Excelsior’s. We went up home for supper to eat apple dumplings with George. I went with George to borrow a frock coat of Harris to stand up in with Mr. Warren tomorrow. George and Bell went to meeting in the evening and came this way to go home. Mother Griswold, Harriet and Louise spent the evening with us. Before retiring, I wrote to N. Tibbels ordering two children’s centenary books, also 4 illustrated centennial papers for members of the Sunday School.






Purdy, Horace, 1835-1909. “Horace Purdy Journal October 1866 Entry.” Horace Purdy Journals, MS 044. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 28 Jan. 2020.

Document Viewer


Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.