Horace Purdy Journal September 1866 Entry

Dublin Core




SEPT 01 SATURDAY - Very warm. The express box containing tea and coffee was delivered this morning before I went to work. I opened it and carried Mr. Pond’s portion – 10 lbs. coffee and 15 lbs. tea over to him and then took 5 lbs. of coffee and 5 lbs. of tea to John McNamee and 5 lbs. of coffee to Charles Hoyt at the shop. I took my time at may work today and finished only one dozen at $2.00 which took me nearly all day. As I came home from work, I stopped at Tim Foster’s Carpenter Shop and he paid me the discount on the note which he gave me for the wagon and $1.00 for the bridle. I came home and put away in cans and jars the tea and coffee which came in the morning. Mr. Clark who is from Hartford and visiting at Father Griswold’s came down this P.M. and took tea with us. A slack rope performance between Concert Hall and Hull’s block across Main Street came off this evening by a performer who shows this evening in the Hall. I did not see it however. Fanny came from Camp Meeting by the evening train. I received a letter from George in the evening. I walked up from the office with Samuel Barnum and had conversation with him about a lamp post on the corner of West and William Street. SEPT 02 SUNDAY - A shower this morning about 9 o’clock. It rained very hard for a few minutes. As I came from getting my milk, Joe ___ came home with me to get some tomatoes. Gussie went to church in the morning and at the same time, I drew up the Sunday School classes anew for one half of the school in Edward Barnum’s Librarians Book. It kept me nearly all the forenoon. Gussie came home at noon and I went down to Sunday School. After school, I went down to see Harmon Ellis who lives at the lower end of the town near the Episcopal Burying Grounds. I went to carry to him a letter from George telling him that he could have work with him at Prentice in Brooklyn. I walked down with David Bradley who went with me to show me where he lived. I waited to have him write a note in reply to enclose in a letter which I mailed to George in the evening. I went from there up home on Deer Hill to get a melodeon instructor which George sent for. I could not find it so Father came down with it after tea. I gave him some tomatoes to take home with him. I finished my letter to George and put up a Singing Book (Nightingale), the Melodeon instructor and a pile of sheet music called “Tis Finished” or “Sing Hallelujah” in a small package and carried it over to Lorenzo B. Sage in Spring Street to have him take it to George when he returns on the morrow. From there I went to the Post Office and mailed my letter to George and came home to let Gussie go to church but found her gone and Louise there staying with Georgie Gussie went to Baptist Church to see Thomas Purdy’s wife and Mary Hickok baptized. SEPT 03 MONDAY - Warm again today. I do not feel well. I had the headache this morning and my throat has been very sore this afternoon. I did but little work. I came home from the shop about 3 o’clock and went over to Spring Street to see L. B. Sage about saving the position in Brooklyn for George’s friend, Harmon Ellis. I did not find him at home, he having gone to the depot to see about the shipment of furniture which he is moving to Brooklyn. I returned to the depot and saw him. He promised to reserve the place for Ellis for one week. I came home feeling about sick. While at tea, Mr. Pond came over and paid me for his tea and coffee - $8.00. Gussie went over to see Mrs. Stone about washing and to Dr. Bulkely for some medicine for me in the evening while I stayed at home with Georgie. Before retiring, I looked up Fred Jennings' old account for rent with the design of taking legal steps to collect it. Gussie brought a letter from the Office for her folks from Canton stating that Aunt Ruth, Alfred and Lydia were intending to come to Danbury for a visit. SEPT 04 TUESDAY - It rained hard during last night. It has been lowery all day with some rain. It rained very hard about 9 o’clock. Not feeling well, I did not go to the shop, but with Mr. Pond’s help, I ground his scythe and mowed my door yard. It was nearly night when I finished carrying off the grass. Mrs. Stone washed for us today. Harriet Wheeler started this morning for Camp Meeting at Plainville at which her father presides. From there, she intends going to Canton. I paid Granville Ambler $.30 for pasturing horse May 25 and 26. I went into the street in the evening and exchanged my broken gold pen for a dollar box of Easterbrook’s containing 144 pens for $.75, $.25 being allowed for the old gold one. SEPT 05 WEDNESDAY - Cloudy in the morning, but it came off pleasant about 9 o’clock. I have felt about sick again today – very lame. I think I took more cold yesterday. I did not intend to go to the shop in the morning, but I became so uneasy, thinking of my liabilities and payments coming due that I started for the shop despite my feelings. I accomplished but little, but that little is better than nothing. After tea, I picked some Citron melons in Father Griswold’s melon patch and after returning from market, we invited Mrs. Cocking downstairs. She came and ate of the items with us. The down passenger train this P.M. ran off the track just this side of the Georgetown Station. The engine lies on its back, so say reports. The particulars we will get tomorrow. Caroline Hull died about 1 o’clock of consumption. SEPT 06 THURSDAY - The cause of the passenger train running off the track last evening was that a hand car was coming up at the same time. A curve in the track prevented one from seeing the other. The locomotive lies on its side instead of its back as reported last night. It ran into a stream of water nearby before it could be stopped where it now lies. Fortunately, no one was hurt. It was 6 o’clock this morning before a train came in here through from Norwalk. We got an advance on our bill of prices at the shop today. It was only the course qualities and they were put back again (with the exception of No. 5, they lack 1 % (??)only) to where they were before the last deduction was made. In the evening, I cleaned my gun and repaired one of the locks. Gussie went to evening prayer meeting. SEPT 07 FRIDAY - Cloudy all day. Orin Benedict’s Hat factories at Grassy Plain were destroyed by fire about 4 o’clock this morning. T. & E. Tweedy’s finishing shop which has for the past year been foul is to commence again fair next Monday morning. Zerah Hoyt is hired as foreman. This report comes well authenticated and is doubtless true. Caroline Hull was buried this P.M. at 1 ½ o’clock. Gussie attended the funeral. Bell took Georgie up home yesterday morning and kept him until about 5 o’clock this afternoon when she brought him home and stayed to tea. Rev. Mr. Stone (the Baptist preacher) was taken last night with spitting blood and is today quite feeble with its effects. Baptist Peach Festival this evening at Concert hall. I went to market this evening and got caught in a shower on my return. Gussie bought some coarse cotton yarn today from which to knit sock for me and sent it up to Mother who is to knit them for me. SEPT 08 SATURDAY - Pleasant and cooler towards night. I worked as usual in the shop except that I worked later, it being nearly 7 o’clock when I left the shop. Rollo Nichols brought some lemonade into the shop today in a wash tub. We all drank of it and then he passed a hat and took a collection for the benefit of the Baptist Bible Class Library, the lemonade being some which was left over from their Peach Festival last night. I went to market in the evening and walked up home with Robert Cocking. The trial of the Adams Express robbers which has been on for about two weeks was ended today and the case submitted to the jury. Whether jurymen have been able to agree yet or not, I have not heard. SEPT 09 SUNDAY - A pleasant September day. Robert Dunning called in the yard this morning a few minutes and ate some pears which had fallen from one of my dwarf trees and pronounced them excellent. Gussie attended church in the morning. Brother Webb preached. I went to Sunday School at noon. I came home after the session with the collection money and then went down home for George’s stencil plate which he wants sent to him. From there, I went down to William H. Taylor’s to see Harmon Ellis (who I expected would go to Brooklyn tomorrow to work with George) to send the stencil plate to George by him but did not find him at home. I reached home again about 3 o’clock just in time for dinner. Before dark, I wrote to George and enclosed a letter for Willie Franklin. Gussie, Georgie and myself took a walk before dark around the square by Mr. McDonald’s I attended church in the evening. Gussie stayed with Georgie. As I went, I mailed my letter to George. Mr. See (?), a Dutch reform preacher from New York, preached from Phil 1-21. It was an excellent sermon, the best I have heard in a long time. While I was at church, Gussie commenced a letter to Cousin Eliza in California. SEPT 10 MONDAY - Pleasant. Before going to the shop, I killed a fowl for Mother Griswold. I worked in the shop until 7 o’clock this evening. After tea, I went up to see Father Griswold about sending in a club (which is being made up by Ben Roff) to New York for coffee. He wants 3 lbs. He gave me the money - $3.00-which pays for the coffee and $.10 for Roff for trouble and expressage. I went into the street to the Post Office, but got no mail. I walked up with John Cable. Father Griswold came from camp meeting today. SEPT 11 TUESDAY - Pleasant in the morning but it soon began to cloud over and in the P.M., it commenced raining. Before breakfast, I saw Mr. Pond and we arranged to send to Ohio for our winter butter. I immediately wrote an order and mailed it to Edwin as I went to work for 100 lbs. I gave the money to Ben Roff this forenoon which Father Griswold gave me last evening for 3 lbs. coffee. I worked until 6 o’clock in the shop this evening and came home in the rain. On my way, I stopped at the Post Office and got a bill for 1 dozen sifters from Everett C. Andrews of New Haven which he has sent to D. H. Johnson of Newtown, an order which George had for the same some time since. Milo Clark from Hartford, who has been visiting Father Griswold the past two weeks left here by the noon train. Before retiring, I wrote to D. H. Johnson concerning the sifter and enclosed a bill of the same. SEPT 12 WEDNESDAY - Pleasant this morning and through the day, but in the evening it was cloudy again. As I went to work in the morning, I mailed the letter to Johnson which I wrote last evening. I worked as usual in the shop. Harriet and Louise Jones and Mrs. Jabine called here today. Louise brought me a letter from George with $13.75 enclosed - $10.00 to pay Mr. Harris towards clothes and $3.75 to me to balance borrowed money. I wrote a reply to George acknowledging receipt of the money and mailed it to him this evening. I sent his stencil plate, ink, etc. by young Jabine to Louise who is at Mr. Jabine’s to take to George on her return. Mrs. Craig, formerly Hattie Gregory, died last evening with consumption at the residence of Walter F. Olmstead. Before I retired, I helped Gussie seal up jelly (crab apple) in cups. SEPT 13 THURSDAY - Pleasant. Before breakfast, we changed the bedstead from our bedroom with the one upstairs in the small room, it being smaller and in consequence would give us more room. I filled a tick for it before making the bed from oat straw which I had from Father Griswold’s barn. I worked until 7 o’clock which was as long as I could see. Merritt ____ who committed rape on Peter Rowan’s daughter was tried this P.M. ad was sentenced to State Prison for life. I came from work with the headache, but after tea felt better and went down to market. SEPT 14 FRIDAY - Bell came down this morning while we were at breakfast to take Georgie up home for the day and to stay overnight. Gussie went down to court at 9 o’clock with Frank Bouton and Lucy Bennett, but Lucy’s case did not come before the court as expected, so they returned. Gussie went up to Mr. Craig’s after dinner to attend the funeral of young Craig’s wife (the former Hattie Gregory). She, while up there, went across the way and called on Anna Hinman. I had a headache all night and woke with it this morning. I went to the shop, but did not feel able to work and returned. On my way home, I stopped at the church and emptied the Infant Class money box and took from it $4.92, all pennies, except a 5 cent stamp. I took them over to Scofield’s Dry Goods store and exchanged them for bills and when I came home deposited it in the Sunday School treasury. I then knowing that I should feel better out of doors took my gun and started for a walk. I finally got as far as Mill Plain Swamp where I shot a pigeon. I returned home about 3 o’clock, not having eaten anything since breakfast, abstaining by choice to drive away any headache which it did effectually before I returned. A fellow by name of Reed, a member of our church, came to me early in the evening to borrow my gun. I went into the street and borrowed Parmalee’s for him rather than lend mine. Before I came from the street John Bouton wanted to borrow it. Not wanting to refuse him, I let him take it. He came home with me and got it. Gussie went in the evening in company with Louise to the tableaux in Concert Hall, the proceeds to be given to the Female Guardian Society. A hard thunder shower about 6 P.M. SEPT 15 SATURDAY - Pleasant and cool. I worked in the shop as usual. The three pounds of coffee that Father Griswold sent for to New York by Ben Roff came today to the shop and I brought it home. After tea, we went up home to get Georgie and to see George. Bell and George came home with us. Just as we got home, John and Frank Bouton came with the gun I let him have yesterday to hunt with today. We all went into the street to do marketing leaving bell with Gussie. I bought my first scallops of the season this evening. When we returned from market, we found Louise Vintz and Clarissa Smith with Bell. George came on the morning train form Brooklyn. SEPT 16 SUNDAY - Cold this morning. They say there was frost, but I did not see any. The day has been pleasant. George came down to breakfast this morning and ate scallops according to promise last night. He went back home and came this way with Bell to church. Gussie went with them. She returned at noon. I went to Sunday School, after which George returned home with me. We took Georgie and went up home to supper and had apple dumplings. After supper, we (George, Gussie, Bell and myself) went up to the cemetery, leaving Georgie up home to stay overnight with Bell. When we came from the cemetery, it was evening meeting time, so we went directly to the church. A Mr. Sanford preached for us. George and Bell came by way of our house from meeting. They stopped and we ate melons and pears. We sent a pail of milk by them up to Georgie. SEPT 17 MONDAY - Pleasant. George came this way as he went to the depot this morning and put some pears and tomatoes in his carpet bag. While making the fire this morning, I broke the grate to the stove. I worked as usual in the shop. I felt nearly sick towards night and stopped work a little earlier than usual. Gussie attended the trial of Nathan Darling for the attempted rape of Lucy Bennett. She stayed until the court adjourned which was about 6 o’clock. Louise came down while we were at tea and helped Gussie clear away the dishes, she being lame with her carbuncle. After the table was cleared away, she went over to John Brayman’s awhile, leaving me with Louise. Louise mended my pocketbook and I gave her $.50 for it to help her get one of the Centenary Medals. The Norwalk Brass band are here this evening giving a concert to be followed by a hop at Concert Hall. SEPT 18 TUESDAY - Warmer today. I went over to Robert Dunning’s before breakfast and engaged his wife to wash for us tomorrow. I worked until dark at the shop. On the Darling rape case, the jury today brought in a verdict of guilty. When I came home from work, I found Aunt Mary Hoyt with her two step children (twin boys) at our house to tea. After tea, Louise came down to let Gussie and I go up to our folks with them, where we found Uncle Cyrus. They, with Bell, went up to the cemetery in the P.M. and stopped at our house to tea. Uncle Cyrus being lame, he could not go with them. Just after we returned home in the evening, there came up a shower. SEPT 19 WEDNESDAY - Gussie being too lame to do her washing, I took the clothes over to Mrs. Dunning, who consented to wash them for us. This I did before breakfast. There has been but little sunshine today, it being lowery most of the time and a little rain in the P.M. Robert Cocking came to the factory with their boy Charlie to get a hat and came up to the finishing room to see me. I was too tired to go into the street in the evening so I stayed home. Gussie canned the remainder of her pears today. Crofut’s second daughter Mary was married today at 9 o’clock to Joe White, a new partner in the firm. SEPT 20 THURSDAY - Stormy. I worked as usual in the shop. Nathan Darling was today sentenced to the State Prison for 6 years for attempted rape on Lucy Bennett. Before tea, I went over to Mrs. Dunning’s for the clothes which I took there yesterday morning to be washed and ironed. Gussie’s arm is worse today. SEPT 21 FRIDAY - Lowery in the morning with an East wind. It finally changed to the South and broke away, giving some sunshine. About 5 o’clock, there came u a shower. A little after 9 o’clock in the evening, it rained. I worked as usual in the shop. Gussie’s arm has given her so much pain today that she let Bell take Georgie home with her to stay overnight. I went into the street in the evening and got the Sunday School papers at Swift’ store, consulted Dr. Bulkley about Gussie’s swelling under her arm and came home. Before retiring I marked off the Sunday School papers for distribution next Sunday. SEPT 22 SATURDAY - The morning broke with a cloudless sky. It has been pleasant but cool. I worked all day in the shop. After tea, I took the Sunday School papers down to the church. I waited for the train and then walked up with John Brayman, Bob and Edward Dunning. Bell came down with Georgie just before night. Louise stayed with Gussie in the evening. While in the street, I paid Robert Cocking $1.12 for pears – ½ bushel for myself and a peck and a half for Mother Griswold. SEPT 23 SUNDAY - Cold; a frost this morning. I went to church this morning in order to be present at Sunday School as we begin today to organize the school for collecting funds for the centenary cause or rather to procure funds to advance the cause of Methodism and education through the church in this our centenary year. We took the names of scholars who desired cards with which to take the subscription. After church, I filled out cards for those who applied and will deliver them next Sunday. I also took a list of the names and numbered them to correspond with the cards for the purpose of receiving the money when it shall be paid in to the treasurer who is myself. After tea, father came in and stayed a short time. Before evening meeting, John Brayman came in to ask my advice about building as he has an opportunity to do so; the lot and money to be furnished on bond and mortgage. He came to see me this evening on account of being obliged to give an answer to the parties tomorrow morning. I advised him to do it. Mr. Sanford preached for us again today. He preached a powerful sermon this morning on “The Faith of Moses”. Gussie, not having attended church during the day, she went in the evening and I stayed at home with Georgie. SEPT 24 MONDAY - Pleasant this morning with a heavier frost than yesterday morning. I carried our clothes over to Mrs. Dunning’s before breakfast for her to wash them, Gussie being yet too lame to do it herself. It is reported today that Zopher Keeler’s house was entered yesterday while they were at church and robbed of $240. I worked as usual in the shop’ it began to cloud over in the forenoon and finally became thickly clouded and in the evening about 8 ½ o’clock began to mist. Gussie bought me 20 bushels of charcoal today at $.20 - $4.00. I went to market in the evening and bought a pair of pants of Mr. Harris - $8.00. I got a letter by the evening mail from George with $10.00 enclosed, five of it to balance his account with Harris for clothes and five to pay me what he borrowed a week ago to return to Brooklyn. Before retiring, I answered George’s letter and done up 4 Sunday School Advocates to mail to Mrs. Turner in Jacksonville, Florida. SEPT 25 TUESDAY - Cloudy and misty in the morning, but before night it came off pleasant and warm. As I went to work in the morning, I mailed the letter I wrote last night to George. I came home from work rather late this evening, it being nearly 7 o’clock. Before we sat down to tea, Harriet and Mr. Jabine came in to spend the evening. We passed the evening very pleasantly. Mr. Jabine and I went up to Father Griswold’s a few moments and while there ate grapes with the elder and brought home a bunch for Harriet. Before going up there, we had been eating pears. Mrs. Jabine has gone to Brooklyn and Harriet is staying there in her place. They left for home about 8 ½ o’clock. SEPT 26 WEDNESDAY - Stormy all day; it rained very hard in the P.M. I worked as long as I could see in the shop. Harriet Wheeler and Josie came home from Essex today, arriving about 2 o’clock P.M. on the freight train. It being raining in the evening, I did not go out but spent most of the evening in cleaning my gun and pistol. Those prisoners sentenced by the court recently held here were started this morning for Wethersfield. Among them were three of them for life for rape and one (Darling) for six years for the attempted rape of Lucy Bennett. SEPT 27 TUESDAY - Pleasant this morning again. I went to the shop as usual, but came home at noon with the headache. A letter from D. H. Johnson from Newtown with a check on Pahquioque bank for $11.50 for sifters. I went to the bank and drew it in the P.M. They charged me $.10 for discount making it $11.40 received. I sent enclosed in a letter $6.85 to E.C. Andrews in New Haven for the sifters sent to Johnson. I also wrote to Johnson acknowledging the receipt of the check. Mother came down in the fore noon and stayed all day. Bell came just at night and took Georgie home with her to stay the night. I took my gun and went over towards Mr. Lynes’ and shot at a mark with coarse shot. I ate no dinner or supper on account of headache. I retired about 7 o’clock. Gussie went into the street in the evening and bought a dress for herself and one for Bell – a present – and other articles – Canton Flannels, Seidlitz powders, dress trimmings, etc. SEPT 28 FRIDAY - I went to the shop this morning, but not feeling very well, did not go to work but returned home and helped Gussie take up some house plants and put them in pots preparatory to housing them when the weather becomes colder. After dinner, I took my guns and went over to Mill Pain Swamp to look for pigeons but found none. I found a flock of quails in Ferry’s Woods and shot two of them. I then fell in with a fellow named Knox. He shot one also. Gussie and I went to market in the evening. I bought the sheet music which George ordered – “Sherman’s March Through Georgia” and mailed it to him this evening. I called to see Hanford Fairchild to see if he would endorse a note for $200 for me at the Danbury Bank. He preferred not to endorse but thought he would let me have the money. Before coming home, we went down to Andrew Williams to borrow a carpet bag of Mrs. Bradley for Gussie to carry to Norwalk with her next week. When we returned I went up to let Father Griswold have $30 toward the debt I am to pay him next Monday, as he wanted some to use before that time. SEPT 29 SATURDAY - Pleasant in the morning; cloudy in the P.M. and evening with the appearance of a storm. I went to the Danbury Bank between 9 and 10 o’clock and withdrew the note of $200 which I had left there yesterday to be presented to the board today. My reason for withdrawing it was that Hanford Fairchild has promised to let me have the amount. I went to the shop about 10 o’clock and finished off a dozen hats and commenced another and about 2 P.M. went up to the baseball Grounds to see a game played between the Columbia and Waverly clubs. The game lasted from 1 ½ and 5 ½ o’clock. Gussie went up home this P.M. and carried Bell’s new dress which she is making her a present of and to bring Georgie home. Bell came down to stay all night as Gussie has been sent for to go up to Henry Hinman’s to be with Anna who is confined with child birth. I received a letter in the evening from George. I carried our clock back to S. G. Bailey this morning; it was worse than before he cleaned it. I saw Sealy Harris at caucus this evening and paid him $4.00 for Father Griswold, the same being for cider bought last year. SEPT 30 SUNDAY - A little rain last night; pleasant and mild today. Bell stayed with us last night and went home after breakfast. Gussie went to church this morning. I went to Sunday School and prayer meeting in the P.M. I distributed t cards to the Sunday School scholars to collect money for the Sunday School Centenary Fund. After tea, Father came down and he took a little walk with Georgie and me. In the meantime, Gussie and Susan Brayman went uptown to see Anna Hinman. When Father left, I went over to John Brayman’s and Robert Dunning’s a few minutes, more to walk with Georgie than anything else. Robert walked back home with me and ate some pears. Gussie returned a little before evening meeting time and I finished a letter to George which I began last evening. I attended church in the evening and as I went mailed the letter to George. A young man from New York preached for us today. He is an Irishman, a graduate from Dublin University in Ireland.






Purdy, Horace, 1835-1909. “Horace Purdy Journal September 1866 Entry.” Horace Purdy Journals, MS 044. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 28 Jan. 2020.

Document Viewer


Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.