Horace Purdy Journal August 1866 Entry

Dublin Core




AUGUST 01 WEDNESDAY - The day has been made up of sunshine, cloudy, windy and a very little rain. I worked hard all day until 7 o’clock again. The new hands shopped yesterday commenced work today in the other shop. Hattie Mills was with us to tea. I stayed at home with Georgie in the evening and let Gussie go into the street with Hattie. Before they went, however, I wrote to Carlton & Porter ordering one dozen for gratuitous use in the Sunday School and enclosed $6.00 for the same. Gussie mailed it for me. It rained again in the evening, it having rained a little in the middle of the day. Our neighbor John Greene lost his son Samuel about sundown; difficulty was tubercles on the brain. He was sick a little over two weeks. AUGUST 02 THURSDAY - Pleasant. It was nearly 7 o’clock when we rose this morning. The funeral of Sammy Greene was attended this this P.M. at 3 o’clock. Tomorrow morning, he will be taken to New Rochelle for burial. Received a letter from George by the evening mail in which he acknowledged the receipt of my last two letters and proposed having Mrs. Jones come to Danbury for a week. Her health being poor, the doctor has recommended coming to the country. Robert came home from church in the evening with his wife. I made some lemonade and they drank with me before he and Charlie (who came with them) went back to Mr. Lynes’. I bought a dozen lemons in the evening for 50 cents. AUGUST 03 FRIDAY - Before going to the shop this morning, I began to construct a leader from the rain water hogshead. Gussie went up home today to see about having Mrs. Jones come to Danbury for a week. She is George’s boarding mistress and he wants us to try and accommodate her. When I returned from work at night and before I went over to Mr. Leason’s to get him to come tomorrow morning to lay up a little brick work at the corner of my house. I received a notification from H. T. Hoyt, Internal Revenue Collector, to pay for my income tax -$18.63. I came home from work with a headache and on that account, I stayed home in the evening and let Gussie go to market. AUGUST 04 SATURDAY - I rose this morning at 4 ½ o’clock. Mr. Leason came over and before breakfast laid over anew the brick foundation under the Southwest corner of my house which was washed loose by the waste water from the rain water hogshead. As it was threatening rain, I left my work at the shop when I got my pay and came home to complete the work of a leader for the waste water from the rain water hogshead, but I was compelled to leave it unfinished on account of a hard thundershower. I went to market in the evening. As I came from the shop, I paid my income tax - $18.63. AUGUST 06 SUNDAY - Pleasant this morning after the shower last evening. Gussie went to church in the A.M. and I commenced a letter to George while staying with Georgie. It was in reply to one received on the 2nd inst. about Mrs. Jones coming to Danbury to stay with us for a week. I went to Sunday School at noon and brought Mr. Lockwood home with me to supper. After supper, he and I went over to Mr. McDonald’s and borrowed his horse which I harnessed before my wagon and took Susan and Gussie with their babies up to the cemetery. I supposed Mr. Lockwood would go with us but he preferred to go up to Ed Allen’s to stay until church time which he did. When we returned, I finished the letter which I began this morning to George and mailed it as I went to church. Mr. Hare preached. Robert Cocking was immersed at the Baptist Church after the morning service. Gussie attended that church this morning to witness the baptism. AUGUST 06 MONDAY - Pleasant and cool. I went down before breakfast and mailed another letter to George telling him that Mr. Fanton would carry the yeast cakes to his store in New York where he could call and get them. As I went for milk this morning, I tried to pay Mr. McDonald for his horse yesterday, but he would take nothing. He not having any whip for his wagon, I gave him mine as I now have no use for it. I ordered another small piece of tin leader as I went to work this morning and called for it as I came from work to tea. I also stopped on my way home from work at Charles T. Stevens’ store and paid him $4.40 towards my church pew. The foreman over the trimming department at the factory ( E.E. Wildman) to tell Widow Mrs. Burr Bradley to come to the shop as he had a vacant place and would now give her work. She being away from home for a week, he promised to reserve the situation for her. I worked hard and late at the shop today. John Brayman called while I was getting my tea and gave me $5.00 towards what he owes me. I went to market in the evening and called at Mr. Henry Fanton’s office with a small package of yeast cakes which he will carry to his store in new York to be called for by George who wants the for his boarding mistress Mrs. Jones. Timothy Foster saw me in the street and enquired about my wagon. He thinks he will buy it. AUGUST 07 TUESDAY - Pleasant still and cool for August. I have worked as usual in the shop. Gussie went in the P.M. up to Eben Barnum’s and drew Georgie in his carriage. Bell was here while I was getting my tea and told us that Harriet had been writing to Mrs. Jones where George was boarding and pleading poverty trying to prevent Mrs. Jones coming to Danbury for a visit to our house for her health as she has been contemplating. She and George having arranged the matter, George having made arrangements for our folks to trade on his account for whatever should be wanting to set a grand table and make it comfortable and pleasant for Mrs. Jones. He having a high regard for her, had invited her to come and Father and Mother had both consented to it and seemed pleased that Mrs. Jones was coming, but Harriet had seemed determined to prevent it if possible and spoil the pleasure anticipated by our folks. It seems as if Satan himself at times had complete possession of her. After tea, I wrote to George telling him all about it, how Harriet had written to Mrs. Jones not to come and told him to tell her how Harriet had acted and that Father and Mother and all of us wanted her to come and to urge her by all means to come regardless of what Harriet had written. I mailed it as I went to the Annual School Meeting for the election of a new committee. The meeting was held in Military hall. I walked home from the meeting with Mr. Pond, the principal of our school and my nearest neighbor. He is agent with two or three insurance companies and he had some conversation on the way with me about insuring my life. Our newly elected district officers were as follows: for committee – J. Amsbury, Ammon T. Peck and David P. Nichols, for clerk – David B. Booth, for Treasurer – Harvey Williams, for Collector – Ephraim Gregory. AUGUST 08 WEDNESDAY - Another beautiful day, but a little warmer towards night. As I went to work in the morning, I took a piece of tin pipe which I had made for a leader for waste water from my rainwater hogshead back to Charles Hull’s to be made as I wanted it, they not having made it rightly the first time. My butter maker not having brought my butter as I expected, I bought a little as I came home from work. After tea, I attached the leader to my hogshead and completed the drain from waste water and then went to market. Smith Pulling, who furnished us with butter this summer, told me today that his wife was offended because I found fault with her butter the last time she came with it. The butter not keeping good, I only asked her if any of her other customers found fault. She said not, and I told her that it was without doubt our fault then that made it spoil by not keeping it in a good place. It seemed that she took offense at it and determined not to bring us anymore. I tried to have him promise to furnish us still, but he said he would leave it all to his wife as she had the managing of the butter business. He is to let me know in a few days what he is to do. Another quarrel across the street tonight – old Mr. Baxter having used violence on Elisha Serine’s little boy George. AUGUST 09 THURSDAY - Stormy, We woke up at three o’clock this morning by Georgie who was vomiting. He was very sick. Yesterday he was troubled by diarrhea and when he woke us had a high fever also. I gave him an injection of tepid water which gave relief. He slept well the remainder of the night and today was comparatively well. Booth Trowbridge this afternoon threw himself head long into the stream by the shop and then tried to butt his brains out against a stone work and by striking himself in the head with a stone. It created quite an excitement at the factory. I went to market in the evening and took a letter at the Office from George in which was enclosed what he received from Harriet. AUGUST 10 FRIDAY - Pleasant; I worked as usual in the shop. When I came home from work, I found John Brayman’s and Thomas Purdy’s wives at the house. They stayed to tea. John came over and took tea with us. After tea, I pulled up pea vines and prepared to set out strawberry plants. Just at dusk, Tim Foster came to look at my wagon, bringing another man with him. I went to the Post Office in the evening and walked up home with Mr. Pond who stopped at my gate and talked about life insurance. The trial of ___ Darling for rape on the person of Lucy Bennett commenced today and adjourned over to the next session of court. AUGUST 11 SATURDAY - Pleasant. On my way to work in the morning, I called at Foster’s Carpenter Shop to get a reply from Timothy Foster about my wagon. He was not willing to give over $60.00 for it. I went to work and when I came home, I went to see him again and sold it to him for $65.00. He is to take it away the first opportunity he has and agrees to pay me in two weeks. I left the shop earlier than usual and came home to set out strawberry plants. John Brayman helped me after tea. Henry, having come from Norwalk today to stay over Sunday with John, he came with him. They came over in the evening while Gussie was downtown to market and stayed until she returned. I gave John a piece of pork to take home with him. Gussie went to see Dr. Bulkely today concerning Georgie. He has a bad diarrhea and we fear the dysentery. AUGUST 12 SUNDAY - We rose late. Gussie went to church in the morning as usual. I went to Sunday School at noon and to the Sacrament Service in the P.M. Mr. Hare administered it as assisted by Brother Webb. After tea, I took a nap. After the nap Father came in to see how Georgie was. He stayed about an hour in which we talked about the expected visit of Mrs. Jones this week. I wrote to George by request of Father requesting him not to tell Harriet when Mrs. Jones is coming. We did not go to church in the evening. I went to the Office and mailed the letter I wrote and returned. We retired about 9 o’clock. Before putting Georgie to bed, we gave him an injection of warm water to soothe and cleanse his bowels, they being in a very bad state. AUGUST 13 MONDAY - I worked in the shop as usual. Gussie went to see the doctor again about Georgie. He changed his medicine. After tea, I set out another run of Russell strawberry plants. I attended Sunday school teachers’ meeting in the evening. As I came from the meeting, I took a letter from the Office from George with $12.25 enclosed: ten dollars for Mr. Harris towards clothes, two dollars for me towards the ten dollars he owes me and 25 cents for Mother for yeast cakes for Mrs. Jones. I went to market and came home. Father Griswold came on the evening train from an appointment on his district and Mother Griswold from a visit to Bloomfield. When I returned from the street, I copied the minutes of the Sunday School meeting and then went up to the other house to see the folks and was introduced to Miss Ferry from Middletown who is visiting at Father Griswold’s. Before retiring, I wrote to George acknowledging the receipt of the money by letter. AUGUST 14 TUESDAY - Cloudy, but no rain. Sunshine a part of the time, but the wind not being right, it has not entirely cleared off. As I went for milk this morning, I saw Mr. McDonald going downtown and I sent the letter to the Office which I wrote last night to George. I set out another row of strawberry plants before breakfast. We can earn but little in the shop now, for since Monday morning things have been in an uproar. The work all at once did not suit Mr. Crofut and he has tried to exact more than is possible to be given in the way of work on hats. I went to the Post Office in the evening and called at Harris’ Clothing Store and paid him another $10.00 which makes $20.00 for George towards his suit of clothes costing $45.00. Gussie washed today. Bell came down this afternoon and Gussie gave her the 25 cents which George sent to Mother for yeast cakes. She also gave her the letter I received yesterday from George speaking of the contemplated visit of Mrs. Jones to Danbury to take home for Mother to read. Before retiring, I wrote to Alfred Humphrey, notifying him that if he wanted strawberry plants, I would send him some in a week or a little more. I enclosed $5.00, the balance of my indebtedness to him for salve bought nearly a year ago – one gross $20.00. AUGUST 15 WEDNESDAY - It was raining very hard this morning and continued nearly all the forenoon. On my way to work, I went to the Jeffersonian Office and took out the advertisement of wagon and paid for two weeks insertion – 75 cents. After work, William Carlson came up with 27 Wilson strawberry plants and exchanged with me for some Russells. I went to the Post Office this evening and mailed the letter to Alfred Humphrey which I wrote last evening and enclosed the 5.00. I brought home a pair of shears to sharpen for John McNamee, a shopmate. Harriet Mills came home from the shop to Mrs. Cocking’s to tea and to stay all night. AUGUST 16 THURSDAY - Pleasant and cool. I went to the shop and worked until nearly noon to finish off a dozen hats I commenced yesterday and then came home nearly sick. I have taken cold and feel used up. I came home by way of Alden G. Crosby’s Coal yard and arrange to have my coal got in this P.M. He sent three tons of it and left the other ton to be delivered tomorrow. I transplanted the Wilson Strawberry plants which William Carlson gave me last evening (or rather exchanged for Russells). I took a nap on the lounge for about an hour. Philo Wildman came to Father Griswold’s this P.M. and was married to Mrs. Merriam. Gussie went up and witnessed the ceremony. After it was over, they got into his carriage and rode back home as happy as a bride and groom of 20 years. She was a widow and he a widower. He is a man of about 70 years. I went to market in the evening. AUGUST 17 FRIDAY - Pleasant and a little warmer. The fourth and last ton of my coal came this morning while we were eating breakfast which was about 8 o’clock. I was not feeling well and concluded not to go to the shop and on that account, we took our time over breakfast. I finished preparing the ground and putting out strawberry plants. The last was enough of the Wilsons for another row which I got from Mr. Carlson about 6 o’clock this evening. I am to let him have some Russells in exchange. In the P.M., Gussie went with me into the street, drawing Georgie in his carriage. I took from the Office a circular from Washington for George relating to collection of soldiers’ bounties; also a letter from D. H. Johnson from Newtown inquiring why the sifters which he ordered did not come. I went to market in the evening. The fireman on the locomotive attached to the up freight train today while oiling the engine just before coming up to the Ridgefield Station fell in front of the engine and had one leg cut off and one hand badly hurt, cutting off one or two of the fingers and badly hurting the others. I learn this evening that he died this afternoon about 4 o’clock. Before retiring, I answered D. H. Johnson’s letter to George and offered to sell the rights to him. AUGUST 18 SATURDAY - As I went to work this morning, I mailed a letter to D. H. Johnson in Newtown in reply to one received yesterday. I carried a pair of shoes to Benedict’s Shoe Store to be mended and went to the shop via the depot. I worked until about 3 o’clock and then came home. I weeded out my strawberry bed and the helped Mr. Pond set out a bed of strawberry plants. Dark came on before we finished the job, so we took a lamp and my lantern and completed the work by lamplight. While I was helping Mr. Pond, Gussie went to market and bought supplies for over Sunday. Timothy Foster sent George Wood for the wagon he bought of me. AUGUST 19 SUNDAY - Lowery; a little sunshine and a little rain during the day. On account of rain at morning church time, Gussie concluded not to go, so I went myself for a wonder in the forenoon. I generally go in the P.M. and to Sunday School and she goes in the morning. I came home after Sunday School . Just before I left to come home, I had a talk with Mrs. Sylvester Harris about Bell leaving Sunday School and church to go to the Baptists. Mrs. Harris was Bell’s Sunday School teacher. She feels badly about Bell’s conduct and has talked with her and wept over it. A letter which I wrote to bell on the subject 12 days ago, but hesitated to send, I have about concluded to send and made additions to it this evening for the purpose. I also this evening wrote to George on the subject. Georgie has been very cross today and has tried our patience severely. Mother Griswold came in a while in the evening. I went to church in the evening. Mr. Hare preached. It rained hard when meeting was out. Before retiring, Gussie wrote to her friend, Mrs. Nelson G. Post in Essex. AUGUST 20 MONDAY - Pleasant. I worked as usual in the shop. As I came home from work, I went to William Carlson’s and got 41 Wilson strawberry plants and brought home for Mr. Pond. He is to exchange them for other varieties. After tea, I spaded up a place to transplant some agriculturist plants which Mr. Pond has given me. It was dark when I finished spading, so I left the plants to be set out tomorrow morning. As I came from work, I took a letter from the office with $1.25 enclosed for a sifter for Mrs. Platt of Ridgefield. George sold it to her a long time ago and trusted her for the pay, telling her to send it when it was convenient for her to pay it. Before retiring, I wrote a note in reply, acknowledging the receipt of the money. AUGUST 21 TUESDAY - I rose at three o’clock this morning and Mr. Pond helped me transplant some agriculturist strawberry plants before breakfast. I worked as usual in the shop came home about 5 o’clock and went down to Town Mountain for some moss in which to pack strawberry plant s tomorrow evening to send to Alfred Humphrey. I took my gun with me, but I found nothing to shoot. I wrote a note in the evening to Alfred telling him when to look for the plants. As I went to the Office to mail it, I got a letter from George W. Oakley saying that George came home from the shop yesterday very sick and requested him to write me asking for $2.00 until next Sunday when he would write and repay. I went into Randall & Bradley’s store and enclosed the $2.00 to George. I also got a letter from D.H. Johnson of Newtown saying he did not wish to purchase the rights for “Tilden’s Universal Flour Sifters”, but wished one dozen of them as soon as possible. As I came from the street, I was caught in a thunder shower and got so wet that I changed my clothes when I get home. I wrote to Johnson before retiring saying that he might expect the sifters or hear from me in a few days. Also to Everett C. Andrews, sifter manufacturer in New Haven to know whether he or the man to whom he sold could fill the order immediately or not. AUGUST 22 WEDNESDAY - Pleasant, except in the P.M. when we had two small showers. Before breakfast, I went down to the Post Office and mailed two letters: to D. H. Johnson in Newtown and E. C. Andrews in new Haven. I worked as usual in the shop. I quit a little earlier and came home to put up strawberry plants to send to Alfred Humphrey. I got them put up and carried them to the express office before I ate my supper. I sent about 350 plants. AUGUST 23 THURSDAY - I worked as usual in the shop. A considerable excitement today about a rape case perpetrated by ___ West on a daughter of Peter Rowan about __ years of age. It happened this last Tuesday. After tea, I wrote to George and enclosed a circular sent by parties in Washington who collect claims for soldiers, soliciting the collection of bounty which is due George from government. I also ordered of Carlton & Porter for Fanny to use in the infant class eight packages of illustrated books for children – 25 cents per package. I enclosed $2.00 for the same. I went to the Office and mailed them. After I returned home I went up to Father Griswold’s to help him take a fish hook from Fido’s ear which he got in some way tonight. He would not hold still to let us take it out, so we concluded to wait until morning. AUGUST 24 FRIDAY - Pleasant but very cool for August. We had two showers with a rainbow about 6 P.M. I came home from work about 5 o’clock with a headache. Bell, having taken Georgie up home to stay all night and Gussie being away when I came home, I started for the Baseball Grounds on Deer Hill to watch the Waverly Club play, but just as I arrived near our folks, they stopped playing and I went into the house to see Georgie. While there, the shower spoken of came up so I stayed until it was over as I thought and started fir home but it began to rain again and wet me considerably ere I got home. After tea, I went to the Great American Tea Company (ordering 30 lbs. Of coffee and 13 lbs. of tea; 10 lbs. of coffee and 5 lbs. of tea for Nathan Pond; 5 lbs. coffee and 5 lbs. of tea for John McNamee; 5 lbs. of coffee for Charles Hoyt; and 10 lbs. of coffee and 5 lbs. of tea for myself. The coffee to be burned and ground for 30 cents per pound. The tea to be $1.00 per pound. I went into the street in the evening to mail the order and to buy our breakfast. AUGUST 25 SATURDAY - Pleasant but cool. I worked as usual in the shop. As I came home from work, I called on Tim Foster for the pay for the wagon I sold him. I did not get the money, but next Tuesday or Wednesday, he will give me a note on which I can get the money at the bank provided he does not have the money himself. Gussie went up to my folks on Deer Hill this P.M. and stayed to tea. Bell came home with her to stay all night. We somewhat expected George by the evening train and Gussie and I went to market, also to the depot, but he did not come. AUGUST 26 SUNDAY - Pleasant, but still very cool for August. Bell stayed with us last night and went home after breakfast. Gussie attended church this forenoon. In the meantime, I marked off the Sunday School Advocates and Sunday School Journals for the school. She came home after the sermon and I went to Sunday School after which I came home. After supper, Gussie took Georgie up to Mother Griswold’s and went with Susan Brayman and Mrs. Aikin up to the cemetery and I walked over to Mr. Lynes with Robert Cocking. As I returned, I stopped at John Bouton’s a few moments and then came home. I went to the Baptist Church I the evening with Robert and Maria. AUGUST 27 MONDAY - Pleasant. I worked as usual in the shop. Gussie went over to Cousin Frank Bouton’s and stayed to tea. I pulled weeds in the garden from the time I came from work until Gussie came and got tea for me. I went into the street in the evening to see if the tea and coffee which I ordered last Friday came; it did not. By the evening mail, I got a letter from George with $15.00 enclosed and he spoke of $3.00 more for me in a letter to Harriet. Ten dollars of it was for Mr. Harris, the tailor towards a suit of clothes which he bought when he was home on the 4th of July. Before coming from the street, I paid Harris the $10.00 and wrote an acknowledgement to George of the money and enclosed a letter which I took from the Office for him today from St. Augustine, Florida. The small picture books which I ordered last week for Fanny to use in the Sunday School Infant Class came via Swift’s today and I brought them to her this evening. I overtook her coming home from the street and she came in with me to have me write a card with her name to tack on her trunk to take with her to Camp Meeting at Milford tomorrow morning. AUGUST 28 TUESDAY - Warmer today than it has been for some time past. As I went to work this morning, I left a bottle at Widow Clark Hoyt’s for a pint of wine to put spices into to give to Georgie for medicinal purposes. As I came from work, I called at Foster brothers and got a note for $65.00 payable at the Danbury Bank, the same being for the wagon they bought of me. As I came home, I stopped at Mrs. Hoyt’s for the wine. After tea, I went to the depot to see if the tea and coffee I ordered in New York should come by the evening express. I received a letter from Everett C. Andrews (George’s sifter manufacturer in New Haven) saying that he would send the sifters to Mr. Johnson in Newtown this week. AUGUST 29 WEDNESDAY - Muggy and warm – real dog days weather, I have not felt well today. I have a sore throat, the result of a cold. I carried in Foster Brothers note to the Danbury Bank and drew the amount - $65.00, less the discount which was 52 cents – the note I took in pay for the wagon I sold him. The Bank not being open until 10 o’clock, I gave it to the cashier (J. Amsbury) in the morning who presented it to the Board of Officers and after dinner as I returned to the shop, stopped and drew the money. Bell came down this forenoon and took Georgie up home with her. She returned with him before tea, and as Gussie wanted to go over to Harriet Ely’s in the evening, she arranged with her to stay all night s as to be with Georgie in the evening. We not hearing anything of the order I sent to New York to the Great American Tea Company for tea and coffee, I wrote again this evening and repeated the order. After the arrival of the train, I waited for the mail to open and then rode into West Street with Robert Cocking. Before retiring, I commenced a letter to George. AUGUST 30 THURSDAY - I went to the shop as usual. On my way in the morning, I met Robert Dunning, who told me that his little boy Fred was taken last night with cholera; was taken at tea time about 6 o’clock and at 9 o’clock, his feet and legs were cold as death and no pulse was perceptible. They all expected that surely he would die, but it finally turned favorable. The doctor (Bennett) was with him all night. He is now considered out of danger of the cholera, but is very feeble after such a severe illness. I called over to see them this evening after tea. I went to the depot this evening to see if the tea and coffee came from the Great American Tea Company, but it did not. I waited for the mail and then walked up home with John Brayman. I spoke with him about the debt he owes Mr. Harris, the tailor for an overcoat bought last winter. Before retiring, I wrote more in a letter I commenced last night to George. AUGUST 31 FRIDAY - A little splatter of rain this morning about 6 o’clock. I worked as usual in the shop. I carried two large tomatoes to the shop with me to exhibit. George Benjamin and I ate one of them with our dinners at noon and he took the other home with him. Georgie went up home with bell yesterday morning and stayed until about 7 o’clock this evening when bell came down with him, drawing him in his carriage. Gussie called on Mrs. Jesse Stevens, Mrs. McNeil, Nelson Nickerson and Harriet Ely today. After tea, Hanson Smith came over to borrow my gun to use tomorrow, but I refused him on the grounds that I never lent it and did not want to now begin. I went to the depot upon arrival of the train to see if my tea and coffee from the Great American Tea Company. And Lo! And Behold! It came after a delay of a week. The bill was $24.00 for 30 pounds of coffee at 30 cents per pound and 15 pounds of tea at $1.00; collections by express man - 60 cents, expressage - 75 cents making a bill complete of $25.35, which I paid at the express office to E. M. Barnum with the understanding that it should be delivered tomorrow morning early.






Purdy, Horace, 1835-1909. “Horace Purdy Journal August 1866 Entry.” Horace Purdy Journals, MS 044. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 29 Jan. 2020.

Document Viewer


Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.