Horace Purdy Journal July 1866 Entry

Dublin Core




JULY 01 SUNDAY - A beautiful day. George came down early this morning for the horse and took a horseback ride before breakfast. He came down before meeting time and we shaved each other. Edwin came in and shaved also with my razor. George and Gussie went to meeting together in the A.M. I went to Sunday School as usual at noon. George and Bell came home with us to tea after which I borrowed Saul Barnum’s wagon and George and I took Georgie and rode up to the cemetery, over to Sturdevant’s to see the new R.R. ,across from there to the lower end of Main street and home. I wrote to Carlton & Porter ordering one dozen lesson books for the Sunday School. I went to church in the evening. Brother Webb preached for us. After meeting, we went up to visit with Edwin and stayed until after 10 o’clock. JULY 02 MONDAY - A lovely day. In the morning, I borrowed Charles Hull’s wagon and Edwin Griswold and Eddie, Jr., Josie Wheeler, Gussie and I took a ride. George went with us downtown where I stopped with him to buy a new set of clothes. He wants them by Thursday to take with him when he returns to Brooklyn. I paid Charles Hull $10.00 for the second hand hay cutter bought February 26th. I also paid my P.O. Box rent up to Jan. 1, 1867. After dinner George came down and hoed the garden for me while I painted my front fence. After tea, Gussie and Louise went with me over to Lake Kenosha to secure a boat for fishing tomorrow. JULY 03 TUESDAY - I took Charles Hull’s wagon home this morning and borrowed Mr. McDonald’s to go fishing. Father Griswold, Edwin and little Eddie, George and myself went over to Kenosha fishing. We stayed until nearly 4 o’clock. We took a bath and then came home. We had very good luck, though most of the items were small. After tea, I went up to James Fowler’s and borrowed Theo’s carriage which he offered for sale before he died. Plowed out Father Griswold’s corn and potatoes after tea. JULY 04 WEDNESDAY - I rose this morning by Edwin calling me and helped hoe corn and potatoes before breakfast for Father Griswold. I finished painting my front fence before dinner. After dinner, I practiced with my pistol at a target. Edwin tried, also Gussie. I sold my horse and harness to _______ this afternoon. Andrew James brought me the customer. I sold the old Theo Fowler carriage with him which I was using while my wagon was being repaired. I had the privilege of buying or selling the carriage for $25.00 for Mr. Fowler. I had a chance, so I sold the establishment - horse, harness and carriage for $90.00. The horse and harness stands me $65.00. After selling, I went up to the cemetery, our folks having gone up previously. From there, I went to Mr. Fowler’s to pay him for the carriage. I waited until it began to rain and then came home without seeing him. On my way home, I bought a pair of thin pants at Mr. Harris’ for $2.50. In the evening, we had a few pieces of fireworks to set off up at Father Griswold’s. It was done to please little Eddie Griswold. JULY 05 THURSDAY - Pleasant. I went up to see Mr. James Fowler before breakfast and paid him $25.00 for his carriage which I sold with my horse yesterday. After breakfast, I went into the street again and settled my account with Benedict & Nichols by paying the balance $16.16. I felt about sick at noon, could eat no dinner, took a nap and felt better after. Caroline Mills was here to dinner. In the P.M., I painted the brickwork under my house in front and the piazza and steps. I used some old paint of Father Griswold’s by buying some oil to put with it. George got his new set of clothes and left for Brooklyn on the regular afternoon passenger train at 4 o’clock, 58 minutes. Mrs. Cocking made Georgie a present of a small cart. We took tea up to Father Griswold’s with Edwin. I wrote two letters in the P.M. for George on the sifter business to Everett C. Andrews, his manufacturer, ordering one dozen sent to D. H. Johnson at Newtown and one to Said (?) Johnson. George mailed them as he went to the depot. I went to market in the evening. When I returned, we went up to Father Griswold and sat until bedtime on his piazza. Did not go to the shop today, but worked around the house. JULY 06 FRIDAY - Very warm – over 90 in the shade. I took up and put down a new drain in the forenoon. In the P.M., I painted the lattice work under Father Griswold’s piazza. Edwin and little Edwin, Mother Griswold and Harriet Wheeler, and Josie came down to tea. Edwin and Ed Jr. walked downtown with me in the evening as I went to the Office. JULY 07 SATURDAY - Very warm. My wagon being done at the blacksmith’s about 9 o’clock, I took it over to Olmstead’s Carriage Shop to be painted. I did not go to the shop, but worked around home, mowing my door yard and trimming my walks. I worked hard until 12 ½ o’clock in the hot sun. In the P.M., I went down to the shop and sleeked off a silk hat for Mr. McDonald. Fanny bought some ice cream in the evening. When I returned home from the market, I ate some with them. I had a headache in the P.M. and the evening. Mr. McDonald’s bill for iron work on my wagon was $14.30; he threw off the 30 cents and I paid him $14.00. JULY 08 SUNDAY - Very warm. Gussie attended church in the morning. I went down to Sunday School at noon after which I came home to keep cool rather than to stay to prayer meeting in the P.M. I took a chair in the yard under the trees and sat nearly all the afternoon. A shower came up about 5 ½ o’clock. It continued to rain at evening meeting time, so we stayed home. JULY 09 MONDAY - Cloudy nearly all day and colder. I went to the shop today- the first time. Edwin and little Eddie came to the shop to see me in the P.M. Gussie bought some handkerchiefs for him to take home with him as presents to the family. After tea and supper, I went to the church for a teachers’ meeting. JULY 10 TUESDAY - Cloudy with some appearance of rain in the morning, but it came off clear and pleasant in the middle of the day. We having trouble at the shop to get hot irons, we stopped work at noon to have a large flue put in the place of a small one we have been using. We contemplated going over to Daniel Manley’s to help him get hay in the P.M. we sent Joe Kyle over to see if he wanted us today, but the weather not looking favorable, he feared to get a large quantity of grass cut with bad weather to prevent getting it up so we stayed at home. I hoed cabbage, planted strawberry peas for seed next season, dug over the ground beside my hedge between Mr. Pond and myself, and after tea, went over near Oil Mill Pond with Ed Dunning to practice shooting at chimney birds. I hit two and he only one. Louise Vintz took tea with us. There being no one home at Father Griswold’s, Mother Griswold and Harriet having gone to Harford by the noon train with Edwin and son Eddie, who have been visiting with us since June 30th. I did not go the depot to see them off, having bid them goodbye in the morning. I saw Edwin on the train as it passed the factory. John Brayman paid me $2.00 on what he owes me today. I got the ramrod to my gun which has been to Stevens’ Machine Shop for a new head. Smith Pulling came with butter just at night. I paid him $1.49 which pays for all up to date. Georgie being badly broken out, Gussie went to the doctor with him. He pronounces it Scarlet rash and gave us medicine for it. I stayed at home in the evening and let Gussie go to market. I took two letters from the Office this morning which came last night – one from George and one from Everett C. Andrews, saying that he has sold out his sifter manufacturing, but would try and fill the order of one dozen for George in a few days. I wrote a reply to Andrews and a note to D. H. Johnson in Newtown saying that his order could not be filled for several days. Cleaned gun before retiring. JULY 11 WEDNESDAY - A beautiful day. We were up considerable with Georgie last night. The flues at the shop which were repaired yesterday afternoon were so arranged as to make it dangerous to the wood work adjoining, and in consequence, we had to stop again this P.M. to change the flues. I came home to dinner, after which I went over to Olmstead’s Carriage Shop to direct about the wagon I am having painted there. From there, I went to Robinson’s and bought a record book for the Sunday School came home and copied the minutes of the last three meetings into it, which takes it back to the May meeting which was the first of the Sunday School year. Louise took care of Georgie while Gussie went up home to see Bell who is sick. She is having trouble again with her lungs caused without doubt from getting too tired and overdone while George was home to send the Fourth. After tea, I went again with Ed Dunning over to Oil Mill Pond to practice shooting at chimney birds. It was dark when we returned. JULY 12 THURSDAY - I went to the shop this morning, but the flues were not yet fixed and we could in consequence do no work, so I returned and went to work in my garden weeding out my strawberry bed and trimming the runners for new plants. I worked with bare arms and blistered them in the sun. After tea, I went to work again and worked until dark. Gussie put Georgie to bed and then went to market herself. She called to see the doctor about Georgie; he thinks that he has the “chicken pox” with the Scarlet Rash”. Later – not the chicken pox – July 16th. JULY 13 FRIDAY - Very warm. Gussie, having no bread baked neither pie; I bought my dinner at the baker’s as I went to the shop in the morning and carried it to the shop with me. Gussie had Mrs. Stone to wash for her today. I mailed in the evening a necktie and a collar with a note to George. JULY 14 SATURDAY - Very warm. Mr. Sifer mowed the remnant of my grass on Father Griswold’s dooryard today, not quite either- a little corner of it he left. It was so hot in the shop that I quit work at noon, waited for my pay and came home. I borrowed Charles Stevens’ horse and got my wagon home from Olmstead’s Shop where it had been to be painted. The whole amount of repairs on it is as follows: $14.00 to McDonald for setting up springs and one new leaf in the hind one and two new tires and $14.70 to Olmstead for new rims ($3.00) and six new spokes ( $1.00), washers ($.70), painting, striping and varnishing ($10.00) – total $28.70. I went to market in the evening and saw Harris Crofut about my feed cutter; he thinks he will buy it. When I returned from market, Gussie went down to pay Mr. Adams the balance due for Georgie’s’ straw hat. I sent by her for a pint of ale which Robert and I drank before retiring. She bought a pair of slippers for herself also. JULY 15 SUNDAY - Very warm; I went to church in the morning and stayed to Sunday School after which I returned home. After tea, Gussie and I drew Georgie up home to see Bell who is not very well. Gussie went to church in the evening to the Baptists to hear their new organ. She went in company with Mr. and Mrs. Cocking. I stayed with Georgie. Ed Dunning sat in the yard with me all the evening. We talked on religion. I found him to be a fine young man, steady in all his habits with serious religious impressions. I trust the evening has not been spent unprofitably to either of us. I wrote a short letter to George and enclosed a letter received here for him directed to Willie Franklin. Gussie mailed it as she went to church in the evening. JULY 16 MONDAY - Hot; the thermometer 96 in the shop, the hottest day thus far this summer. I worked until about 5 P.M. and then gave up nearly exhausted. Gussie went to market in the evening. Harriet and Josie returned form Bloomfield on the evening train, she not feeling well. The difficulty with her side being so much worse, she feared to stay from home any longer. Alva Stevens was found dead this noon in his room in Hull block over Dr. Baldwin’s Drug Store. He has been missed since last Saturday morning. His body was in a very corrupt state. JULY 17 TUESDAY - Another very warm day. About 5 P.M., showers passed by us in the north giving us only a few drops. The lightning was sharp and the thunder heavy. It struck Stevens’ Carpenter Shop near Barn Plain Bridge. The fire was out before the hose got there. I worked all day in the shop. I went to market in the evening. When we retired, it looked as if we would have a settled rain. I made some lemonade in the evening; Robert drank some with us. JULY 18 WEDNESDAY - Warm again today but the sun was hid from sight several times which made it less oppressing out of doors. I worked in the shop until 7 o’clock. A shower came up about 5 o’clock which gave us a little rain. Robert Dunning came over and picked some currants after tea. I went to market in the evening. JULY 19 THURSDAY - It rained some last night; it has been cool today. I worked as usual in the shop. As I went to work in the morning, I left an advertisement at the Jeffersonian Office for my wagon. After tea, I went into the street with Ed Dunning. I called at the Jeffersonian Office and changed the wording of the advertisement I left there this morning. When we returned, we sat on my front steps for a while and partly made arrangements for going hunting a sort time early tomorrow morning. JULY 20 FRIDAY - I rose about 3 o’clock this morning and went over to Robert Dunning’s to wake his son Ed who agreed to get up and come over to wake me. I got the start of him. We started about 4 o’clock and got to the hunting ground down between Town and Middle Mountain by the time we could see to shoot. We found three woodcock and shot two of them; each of us got one. It was about 6 ½ o’clock when we returned. I went to the shop, but was obliged to come home about noon, having a hard headache. Getting up so early and taking so much of a tramp was rather too much for me, not being used to it. Bell came here after meeting last night and stayed all night with us. She took Georgie up home with her in the forenoon to spend the day. I went to market in the evening and came home about 8 o’clock when it commenced raining. JULY 21 SATURDAY - Cloudy with occasional fine rain and mist. I went to the shop and worked as usual. After tea, I trimmed an Elm tree standing in front of the house. Robert Dunning came along as I was doing it and helped me drag off the limbs I cut off, after which I walked downtown with him and did some marketing and returned home. JULY 22 SUNDAY - Cloudy most of the time during the day. Mother walked down about 9 o’clock and went from here to church about meeting time. John Brayman came over and picked a mess of peas from our vines before we rose this morning. Gussie told him last night to come and get them. Gussie went to church this morning. I went down to Sunday School and returned when it was over, not staying to the prayer meeting in the P.M. I wrote to Carlton & Porter ordering one dozen new catechisms and one copy of the Sunday School Advocates for the three remaining months of the Advocate year. I enclosed $.56 for the both of them, that being the amount of the bill. After tea, I took Georgie to walk over to Mr. McDonald’s. When I returned with him, we took him in his carriage and went over to Daniel Starr’s and made a short call before evening meeting. I went to church in the evening; Mr. Webb preached. After meeting, I walked up home with Bell, she being alone. JULY 23 MONDAY - Pleasant and not so extremely warm as last week. I brought water from Father Griswold’s cistern before breakfast for Gussie to wash with; this is the first time we have been obliged to do so this summer. John Meaker made his finishing shop foul today. Mallory discharged all his finishers Saturday and it is expected that his shop will be made foul also. After tea, I hoed my cabbages and went to market. I called at David Osborne’s store to tell him of my wagon for sale, I having heard that he wanted to buy one. Before retiring, I helped Gussie seal up her currant jelly in cups. JULY 24 TUESDAY - A beautiful summer day, not extremely hot. Mrs. Coles came over this morning and picked a mess of peas which we gave her if she would pick them. Mrs. Pulling came about 7 o’clock as we were eating breakfast this morning with our butter – 2 lbs. I paid her for it - $.70. David Osborne came to look at my wagon. He thought the springs were not quite heavy enough to suit him. I went to market in the evening. JULY 25 WEDNESDAY - A beautiful morning. I worked as usual in the shop. We had a heavy shower about 1 o’clock P.M. As it passed over, the sun shone a short time, but another soon followed which was far heavier than the first. It continued until nearly 8 o’clock in the evening. I went into the street in the evening to take a lamp for repairs and to go to the Post Office. I bought a small kit of Mackerel No. 1 at Randell & Bradley’s to be sent up tomorrow morning. I paid $3.12 for them. I walked up with Joseph W. Allen from the street He came home with me to get a bottle of cider at father Griswold’s for his wife, it being ordered by the doctor. Mrs. Cocking spent the evening with us. I made some lemonade which we drank before retiring. JULY 26 THURSDAY - Pleasant. I worked as usual in the shop. I had the headache in the afternoon. As I came from work, I got the Sunday School Advocates at Swift & Day’s; also one dozen No. 1 catechisms which I ordered last Sunday. After tea, I went over to Robert Dunning’s for a few moments to see him shoot at a mark with his rifle. I stayed at home in the evening with Georgie and let Gussie go into the street. JULY 27 FRIDAY - Warm, muggy, clouds, sunshine and a little rain. I worked as usual in the shop and stayed until about 7 o’clock. Gussie is calculating to go to Norwalk with an excursion tomorrow in company with and at the invitation of Mr. Cole’s folks. She accordingly went up for Bell to come and stay all night and take Georgie home with her tomorrow morning after she leaves for Norwalk. JULY 28 SATURDAY - An excursion to Norwalk and Roton Point. Gussie went in the company of Mr. Coles’ folks. Warm and muggy in the morning. Showers in the middle of the day; a severe one between 4 and 5 o’clock P.M. Walter Fayerweather’s house on Highland Avenue was struck by lightning. Bell stayed with us last night and did the work after breakfast to let Gussie go on the picnic and then took Georgie home with her. On account of the shower, she did not come home with him at night. The excursionist arrived here at 11 o’clock. I met Gussie and Susan Brayman at the depot. JULY 29 SUNDAY - Pleasant and warm. On account of retiring so late last night, we did not get up this morning until after 8 o’clock. Gussie is nearly used up from her excursion yesterday. She did not go to church as usual this morning, so I went instead. We expected Mr. Lockwood to tea with us, but he, not feeling well, concluded not to come. Father came down with Georgie this morning about 8 o’clock. After tea, I took a walk into West Street and up to Seth Downs’ and return. I then wrote to George to the Book Room, 200 Mulberry Street and to the Bible House on 4th Avenue between 8th and 9th Streets to enquire the price of cheap bibles per dozen. Gussie walked up to the cemetery about 6 P.M. with Harriet and Mr.Stokes and others of their family, I believe. I stayed with Georgie. She returned too late to get to evening meeting, so she went over to Mrs. Green’s to see how their little boy, Sammy was. He is dangerously sick. I made some lemonade before retiring. JULY 30 MONDAY - Pleasant. I worked as usual in the shop. I gave Gussie $2.25 to pay Mrs. Baxter for dress making. I bought $.25 worth of sugar to make lemonade at the shop. Received a letter from George with $10.00 enclosed to pay Mr. Harris towards his suit of clothes which he bought when he was home over the 4th of July. Reverend L. Webb delivered a lecture in the evening at our church on the massacre by the Sioux Indians of the white settlers in Minnesota in August, 1862. As we went (Gussie and I), I called at Mr. Harris’ store and paid him the $10.00 George sent to him towards his clothes. Brother Webb was in Minnesota at the time doing military duty against the Indians. He was Adj. General to General Sibley at the time. The papers today state that the Atlantic cable has been successfully laid, it being the third attempt. Messages have been sent back and forth already. JULY 31 TUESDAY - I wrote a letter to George before breakfast in answer to one received yesterday but did not mail it until this evening. A number of men have been shopped today to go into the new shop (formerly used for foul men) as Mr. Crofut has more work than can be done in his main shop. Ed Harris, James Hagen, Daniel Manly, John Knowles and others were shopped. I worked until 7 o’clock at the shop. Received a letter from Carlton & Porter in reference to the bibles for Sunday School use. I went to market in the evening – bought clams, eggs and lemons. An account in the papers today of a riot in New Orleans, or rather a mob. Loyal men assembled in a convention were attacked by rebels who had formerly fought in the Rebel Army. The affair took place on the 30th of July.






Purdy, Horace, 1835-1909. “Horace Purdy Journal July 1866 Entry.” Horace Purdy Journals, MS 044. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 29 Jan. 2020.

Document Viewer


Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.