Horace Purdy Journal June 1866 Entry

Dublin Core




JUNE 01 FRIDAY - Pleasant. I worked all day in the shop. After tea, I cut some grass in Mr. Pond’s yard for my horse. Bell came down and stayed with Georgie in the evening to let Gussie and I go into the street and to Singing School in company with Cousin Wells Webster and daughter, Helen. When we returned, we went up to the house and stayed about an hour to visit with them, as they intend to start for home in the morning. In the P.M., Father Griswold hired Mr. Beatty’s double team with his large carriage and took a load with Cousin Wells and daughter to the cemetery and out to Beaver Brook to see the new railroad as they are at work on it. Bell is to stay with us all night. JUNE 02 SATURDAY - Pleasant and warm. I harnessed the horse this morning and carried Helen Webster to the depot. Her father and Father Griswold walked after putting their carpet bags in the wagon. As I returned, I bought a bushel of oats at Crofut’s Feed Store. I put the horse in the stable, ate my breakfast, and went to the shop. We had only a half a day’s work. I left my check with the foreman (V. W. Benedict) to have him draw my money and leave it at Judd’s store. In the evening, I prepared my pea brush and stuck them to my peas. Hoed a portion of my garden. Mowed some grass in my dooryard, also some in Mr. Pond’s to feed the horse over Sunday. While I was at work at my pea brush, Seth Downs came in according to arrangements made this forenoon at the shop to borrow my gun to shoot a robin for his child, who is convalescing from lung fever. Gussie went to market in the evening and left me to hoe garden which I did until after dark. I went down about nine o’clock to see if my clock at the jeweler’s was repaired. It was not, and as I left the house open with no one in it but the sleeping baby, I hurried back and arrive d home before Gussie returned. Josie Wheeler stole Jesse Pond’s little cart from their barn and pulled up a bed of onions for an Irishman which cost Harriet 50 cents damages. JUNE 03 SUNDAY - Stormy all day. I went down to Sunday School at noon. There were but few there. The usual exercises were set aside and the time spent in singing. In the afternoon, Joseph W. Allen, William S. White and myself (a committee appointed at the last teachers’ meeting) went into the Bible classroom and with the help of a map of the borough laid it out into districts and appointed Sunday School teachers (females) to canvass there this summer and bring children who do not attend any place into the Sunday School. After tea, Susan Brayman came in and Gussie went over to Aunt Louisa’s with her. While she was gone, I wrote to George. JUNE 04 MONDAY - Cloudy all day with the appearance of rain each moment though I believe little came. I had work nearly all day in the shop. Bell had the horse this forenoon to carry Julia Squires home who had been staying with her over Sunday. When she returned, Mother Griswold wanted to take a ride but found the harness was broken and did not go. After tea, Mr. Pond helped me grind his scythe and I finished mowing his dooryard. In the evening, I helped him make a small box and dovetailed it together. JUNE 05 TUESDAY - Cloudy and a little rain about 4 P.M. The sun shone before it went down. I had work all day in the shop. I came home to dinner for the first time this season. I felt so poorly that I stopped at Parmalee’s on my way home and took a glass of ale which gave me an appetite for my dinner. I felt like a different man in the afternoon. All hands have been on black hats today. Mrs. Stone washed and cleaned tins for Gussie today. Bell came down this P.M. and is to stay with us tonight. She is helping Gussie make a shell frame this evening. I went to market and by the evening mail received a letter from George. He wants to borrow two dollars. Before retiring, I answered the letter and enclosed the money ($2.00). I mended the harness before retiring. It broke yesterday just as Bell returned from Bethel with the horse. JUNE 06 WEDNESDAY - I have worked as usual in the shop. The sun shone in the P.M. and before night it gave promise of fair weather. It has been very sultry and hot today. After tea, I harnessed Jim and drove up to Mr. Hamilton’s, just on the edge of New Fairfield to try and sell George Hamilton my horse. I left there just as a heavy shower was coming up. I drove as far as Elijah Gilbert’s store and there stopped to get a shelter from the rain. I finally came home before it entirely stopped. Mrs. Cocking came to the house this P.M. and began to get things right preparatory to moving. She gave me $3.00 from Robert to pay the rent. JUNE 07 THURSDAY - I commenced this morning and mowed a little grass for the horse in Father Griswold’s door yard. Bell stayed all of last night with us and drew Georgie up home after breakfast. Mr. Edwin C. Sears, one of our shop men, who lives out to Mill Plain died last night in a fit near Lake Kenosha where he went after his tea with some of his grandchildren to catch some fish. I had work in the shop until after 3 o’clock when I came home and harnessed old Jim and went over to the bridge this side of Crofut’s Mill and washed the wagon. After tea, I bushed my Tom Thumb peas which I had heretofore thought would not require it. I got a dozen of the early Cabbage plants and three large double Sunflower plants of Seth Downs. JUNE 08 FRIDAY - Pleasant until 5 P.M. when there came up a shower. Edwin Sears, 58 years old, was buried today. The men in the shop attended in a body. Borough meeting in the P.M. at Concert Hall. E. S. Davis was elected warden by a 7 majority. I came home and went to work in the garden, but a hard shower soon came up and interfered somewhat with my work. JUNE 09 SATURDAY - Sunshine and cloudy at times during the day. I went to the shop in the morning, but there was no work. I went up to the Jeffersonian Office for my paper and then went with George Quien up to his finishing shop and bought 3 pounds of Maple sugar at 2 cents per pound. Victor W. Benedict (our Foreman) drew my money for me and I went for it in the afternoon and then went to George Quien’s and bought 5 pounds more of Maple sugar for Mr. Pond and one pound for Robert Cocking. I had words with Mr. Baxter about corn planted too near the stable door; also about me filling the gutter in front of my house. I paid George Crofut & Son $15 for a barrel of Flour bought a week ago or more. I mowed my dooryard just at tonight to get the fine grass to put around my strawberry plants. Mr. Cocking returned again today from Mr. Lynes’ to live in our rooms upstairs for the summer. Received a letter from George. JUNE 10 SUNDAY - Pleasant. Bell came down this morning for the horse to carry Mother to meeting. I harnessed and she took Georgie in and gave him a ride up to get Mother. Gussie attended church in the forenoon. I went down to Sunday School and stayed to prayer meeting in the P.M. The sacrament service being omitted on account of the inability of Brother Hill to attend to it on account of sickness, a Mr. Webb from Minnesota who came on here with Fanny Holmes (and it is reported that she is intending to marry him) preached for us. He, not being ordained, could not administer the sacrament, but superintended the prayer meeting which was held instead. After tea, Father came down with the horse. Gussie went with Susan Brayman downtown to see Thomas Purdy’s wife who is very sick. She was so late that neither of us went to meeting in the evening. I wrote to George and Gussie mailed it as she went to see Thomas’ wife. JUNE 11 MONDAY - Pleasant and very warm. I had but just got well at work this morning in the shop when the Reverend Mr. Gannon called to see me about the horse which he had before spoken about buying. I put on my coat and vest, leaving my white shirt hanging on a nail, also my watch and went home. He helped me grease the wagon and then I harnessed to drive a short distance and show him how the horse could travel. I went over to Beaverbrook with him as that was his way home and he was intending to walk to Sandy Hook, about 12 miles. I then thought that I ought to go to Sandy Hook and see if George A. Beers (a merchant there) had sold the 6 sifters which had been left there on commission. I concluded to go and did so and carried Mr. Gannon to his house and took dinner with him. Mr. Beers had sold the sifters. I collected the pay for them - $5.75. The amount was $6.00 but as I had not the receipt which he gave for the sifters when he took them, he hesitated about paying me but finally he said he would pay me and run the risk if I would throw off 25 cents. I concluded to do so rather than come home without the money. Mr. Gannon likes the horse and is satisfied with the price; he also needs a horse very much but does not feel able to buy one. He is very much in doubt about what to do. He offered me a dollar for carrying him home, but as I went mostly only on business for myself, I took only 50 cents. I started for home about 4 o’clock and arrived here about 6 o’clock. I drove to the shop to get my shirt and watch and found the watch had disappeared. Sunday School Teachers’ Business Meeting in the evening. I attended. Before returning, I tried to copy the minutes of the meeting but fell asleep three times and then gave it up. JUNE 12 TUESDAY - Pleasant; I worked as usual in the shop. After tea, I worked until dark in my garden and then went to the Post Office to mail a letter to George with one enclosed from St. Augustine. I mailed one this morning to George A. Beers in Sandy Hook with the receipt for the sifters which he gave when he took six of them on commission which he sold and paid me for last Monday. JUNE 13 WEDNESDAY - Stormy all day. I had work until noon in the shop. I then came home and sawed and piled wood in the woodhouse. I got some petunias over to Seth Downs’ and set them out just at night. I gave some to Mr. Pond, also to Fanny. Daniel Baxter had a cinch with his son Moses this morning. He threw him down and kicked him. Moses, I think, submitted to it rather than strike his father. I went to the market in the evening and mailed a letter for Bell to George. I paid Charles Reed $3.50 for shoes for wife and baby bought last Saturday. Bell came down just at nigh to help Gussie work at putting shells on a box. She is to stay all night. While in the street, I got the Sunday School Journals for June and marked them off before retiring. Captain B. F. Skinner was buried today from the Universalist Church. The Bethel Military Company came up and buried him with the honors of a soldier. JUNE 14 THURSDAY - The storm is not yet over, though it has rained but little today. Bell stayed with us last night and will do so again tonight. She rubbed sprouts off my potatoes this forenoon and at noon I harnessed the horse and in the P.M., she with Gussie and the baby went up home. She took a basket of potatoes I gave her for sprouting mine. They then left Georgie there and rode up to the cemetery. When they returned, Bell unharnessed and put Jim in the stable. I went to market in the evening and Gussie worked at covering a box with shells. JUNE 15 FRIDAY - Pleasant. I had all the work in the shop that I could do today. Bell stayed with us last night and took Georgie up home with her today and kept him until night. I harnessed the horse before tea and let Harriet and Louise go up to the cemetery. After tea, I helped Mr. Pond grind his scythe. Took a paper from the Office today for George from his lady correspondent while he was in the army and this evening, I remailed it to him. By the evening mail, I received a letter from him. Nathan Miller called to look at my horse as he came from work tonight. JUNE 16 SATURDAY - Pleasant and warm. Commenced cutting the grass in Father Griswold’s dooryard for my horse. Gussie took Georgie up home to Father Purdy’s this P.M. in order that she could do some shopping and get her new summer hat. She stayed away until about 8 o’clock in the evening leaving me to get my own supper as best as I could. I was very tired and was much provoked. JUNE 17 SUNDAY - A beautiful morning. It became cloudy about noon and at 3 o’clock, it began to rain. Bell came down in the morning for the horse to carry Mother to church. She gave Georgie a ride up home as she went for Mother and took him again at noon when she carried her home. She left the horse up there in the P.M. and came down with him bringing Georgie in the rain about 3 P.M. I then too the horse and while it was raining in torrents drove over to Mr. Lynes’ to tell him that Mr. Cocking is very sick. He has had the doctor (Bennett) who thinks it is congestion of the lungs. He is very sick and is troubled extremely to breathe. It has rained so hard through the evening that Bell has concluded to stay all night. Gussie went to church in the morning and I went down to Sunday School. I came home when school was out for fear of the rain. JUNE 18 MONDAY - Rain in the morning; it came off pleasant at noon. Bell stayed with us last night. I worked in the shop until 7 o’clock. When I came home, I found John Brayman waiting to see me. He paid me 50 cents of the balance of $2.00 borrowed and $5.00 on an old bank account. After tea, I went into Mr. Pond’s garden to look at his strawberries with him and he gave me a handful of very fine ones. I went to market in the evening and to the Post Office and got a letter from George with $11.60 enclosed, $1.25 of it to me for borrowed money which I let him have, $1.35 to pay his taxes, and the remaining $9.00 towards a debt he owes Joseph W. Ives. Mr. Cocking is no better today but the doctor thinks he will be better tomorrow. Before retiring, I added to the letter received this evening in the one I commenced to him last evening. JUNE 19 TUESDAY - Pleasant. I worked all day in the shop. As I came from work, I called at Joseph W. Ives and paid George’s account there - $5.97- and took a receipt for the same. Bell was with us to tea. After tea, I borrowed rigging from Seth Downs and Mr. McDonald and commenced with Father Griswold to run his cultivator through his potatoes. We got at it and dark came on so quickly that we were obliged to leave it until morning. I wrote a short letter for Mr. Cocking to John Courtney informing him of the illness of Mr. Cocking and mailed it for them as I went to market. Gussie had a severe attack of sick headache in the evening. JUNE 20 WEDNESDAY - A lovely day. I worked as usual in the shop. A strawberry festival of our ladies of the church in the evening in Concert Hall. I was doorkeeper. JUNE 21 THURSDAY - Very warm. Bell, who stayed with Georgie last evening while we went to the festival, stayed all night. Charles Hull watched with Mr. Cocking last night. Mrs. Cocking took our bed upstairs. Bell slept with Gussie and I slept on the lounge. I rose at 4 ½ o’clock this morning and cleaned and greased the wagon. Before going to work, I shaved Robert. Gussie went with Mother and Bell this afternoon to Grassy Plain and stayed to tea with Mrs. Squires. I harnessed the horse at noon for them. Mr. Pond gave me a dish of strawberries for my tea. I received a letter from George by the evening mail. I wrote a letter from Robert to John Courtney at Fort Hamilton. James Osborne is to watch with Robert tonight. JUNE 22 FRIDAY - Pleasant and very warm. I rode to Grassy Plain before breakfast to David Squires for the martingales that Bell left there yesterday. She forgot them when she harnessed the horse to come home. I did not go to the shop but worked around the house hoeing the garden, etc. I drove the horse down to the shop at noon to let John Morris use him to plow out a piece of potatoes. A letter from George in the evening asking for what money was left after paying his debts from money he sent home. I paid Parmalee & Howe $4.21 that George owed them which left a balance of $3.62 to send to him. JUNE 23 SATURDAY - Very warm again today. I did not work in the shop in the P.M. but finished and got trimmed a hat for myself. Before coming home, I went to the barber’s and got my hair cut. We picked 1 ½ quarts of strawberries for our tea. We gave Mrs. Cocking a pint of them. Robert has not been so well today. I went for the doctor as soon as I was dressed. I harnessed the horse after tea and went to the Wooster House for some ice for Robert to use over Sunday, the ice dealer having failed to drive this way today. As I came home with the horse, I had to whip him to make him stand while I shut the gates. While I was getting the ice, I also got 4 oranges for Robert. JUNE 24 SUNDAY - Pleasant and very warm. I watched with Robert Cocking last night. Mrs. Cocking got up at 3 o’clock and I came downstairs and retired. After breakfast, I shave him. He is better today. He rested well last night. Gussie went to church in the morning. I went down to Sunday School. When it closed, I came home feeling too tired to stay to meeting in the P.M. Fred Shears had my horse and harness with Edgar Benedict’s wagon to take his mother to the cemetery in the P.M. Mr. Pond found tracks in his strawberry bed today where some person had been picking his berries last night. We have suspicions of the person, but are not certain. I wrote after tea for Robert to his brother-in-law John Courtney in Fort Hamilton, Long Island., telling him how Robert is getting along with his sickness. I also wrote to George (or finished a letter commenced last Friday) and enclosed $4.80 of his money in my hands, he wishing me to send it as he will need it before he gets paid off again. I also wrote to the Sunday School to Carlton & Porter ordering 1 dozen of No. 1 Catechisms and enclosed $.48, the price of the same. About 6 o’clock, I harnessed the horse and took Louise, Gussie and the baby up to the cemetery. We rode up Balmforth Avenue, down Main Street to Franklin, passed Mallory’s Shop, down Spring Street to the Post Office, mailed letters and came home. John Brayman then took the horse and gave his wife a ride. When John returned, I stayed awhile and talked. JUNE 25 MONDAY - Pleasant and very warm. It has seemed to me to be the hottest day yet. We took off our featherbed and filled a tick with straw and put it in its place. Negotiations have been going on today between the journeymen and Mr. Crofut to reduce the price of the coarse work so that thereby we may retain it and prevent his starting a foul shop. We deferred final action on it on account of the absence of several of the journeymen. We are to get on it tomorrow morning at 9 o’clock. After tea, I harnessed the horse and Gussie and Georgie rode with me up to Middle River to see Smith Pulling about butter. We went to notify him that our winter butter was gone and to have him commence bringing it to us for the summer according to previous agreement. When we returned, Mr. Pond and myself rode over to Oil Mill Pond (which was about 9 o’clock) and took a bath. Mr. Cocking is quite well today. He was able to dress himself and go to the table for his tea. A small shower with considerable thunder just at bedtime. JUNE 26 TUESDAY - Very warm but not quite so oppressive, I think, as yesterday. We accepted a reduction on our bill of prices today of 2% on 6-5-4-4x and 1% on 4xa. (?) hats to be the same as soft hats. The new arrangement will take effect July 1st. Smith Pulling brought us 2 lbs. of butter for the first. I harnessed the horse in the evening and went to market. I took a shopmate William H. Hutching and drove up town and down Balmforth Avenue. I carried a notice to the Times Office in the evening for Father Griswold advertising his carpet bag which he lost in the depot yesterday. It was probably stolen. Bell came down just at night and stayed to tea and finally concluded to stay all night. JUNE 27 WEDNESDAY - Pleasant and still very warm. I worked as usual in the shop. As I came home from work, I hurried to get home before the shower as a heavy one came up and commenced raining soon after I got home. George Foot had a bad gash cut in his head from the heel of a shoe thrown by John Grey this noon at the shop. The whole affair was in sport. It commenced by throwing leaves (?). Mr. Cocking’s brother-in-law, John Courtney from Fort Hamilton, came to see him today. He came on the 3 o’clock train and returned on the regular passenger train. It rained hard all evening with sharp lightning and heavy thunder. I went to the Post Office in the evening, expecting a letter from George, but got none. Bell took Georgie up home this P.M. and has not yet returned and will probably not on account of the rain. JUNE 28 THURSDAY - Stormy this forenoon; it cleared away in part just before night. Bell came home with Georgie in the afternoon, he having stayed up there all night. She harnessed Old Jim and carried Mother over to Aunt Louise’s to spend the P.M. As I came from work, she had just carried Mother home. I let Hiram Hadden take the horse to go up to the Boggs in the evening. He returned about 9 ½ o’clock. I picked a few cherries before dark and then went to market. JUNE 29 FRIDAY - Pleasant and cool after the rain. I had only a half-day’s work in the shop. Mr. Cocking took a ride with me downtown in the P.M. I paid George Starr $25.00 which I borrowed of him April 1st. I made arrangements in the P.M. with Mr. McDonald about repairing my wagon. I picked what few cherries we had. Our folks expected somewhat that Edwin would come on the evening train. I harnessed Old Jim and went to the depot, but we were disappointed for they did not come. JUNE 30 SATURDAY - I harnessed the horse after breakfast and carried Mr. Cocking over to Mr. Lynes’, the first time that he has been over there since he has been taken sick which was two weeks ago tomorrow. He is not able to walk and he rode back about noon with George Lynes when he came into the street for the mail. When I returned from Mr. Lynes’ I the morning, I left the wagon at Mr. McDonald’s to be repaired. I had the horse shod also before going over with Robert. I carried my dinner at the shop, it being 9 o’clock when I went to work. We were told last night not to come until that time. Hard thunder shower about 4 P.M. with hail. George came home from Brooklyn by the evening train, also Edwin Griswold and little Eddie, Jr. from Elyria, Ohio. I borrowed Mr. McDonald’s wagon and went to the depot for them. Bell came down and stayed with Georgie to let Gussie go to the depot to meet Edwin. George came home this way and I drove home with them. After caring for the horse, I borrowed Seth Downs’ saddle for George who wants to take a ride before breakfast tomorrow morning. As I came from work this P.M., I called at Benedict & Nichols’ and paid then $25.00 on my account of $44.66.






Purdy, Horace, 1835-1909. “Horace Purdy Journal June 1866 Entry.” Horace Purdy Journals, MS 044. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 17 Jan. 2020.

Document Viewer


Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.