Horace Purdy Journal April 1866 Entry

Dublin Core




APRIL 01 SUNDAY - Pleasant. Love Feast at 9 A.M. Gussie went and stayed to preaching in the forenoon. I went down to Sunday School and to the afternoon service. It being the last Sunday previous to Conference and thee being about a dozen to be baptized and also that there would be no preacher here next Sabbath, the Commission Service was held in the P.M. Brother Hill called me into the altar to hold the Baptismal Bowl for him while he administered the sacrament. At noon, I gave Charles Stevens, Jr. 50 cents towards a purse of $100 to be made up and given to Brother Hill before going to Conference. Preaching in the evening, it being Easter Sunday, the sermon was on the resurrection of Christ. At the close of the sermon the choir sang “Old Easter Anthem”. After meeting, George went to Bethel with Mr. Lockwood. He harnessed the horse before meeting and drove down to the Church. I rode down with him. He sat in the seat with me instead of with the choir. I gave Brother Hill and Annual Sunday School report this morning to take to Conference this week. APRIL 02 MONDAY - Election Day. Pleasant Upon the arrival of the train at 10 ½ o’clock, I met Aaron Mallett and Father Griswold at Roger Averill’s office and I there took up the Bond and Mortgage held by Mallett by paying him the $1,100 due him. He gave me a quit claim deed on the same. Father Griswold let me have the money on Bond and Mortgage. He also holds the Insurance Policy as additional security. We finished up our business before dinner. I also paid my taxes - $8.06 – 2 % deducted by paying today made it $7.90. George moved one of his shop mates down town this morning and then came back and moved John Brayman. This afternoon, I spent down at the polls driving for voters. The Copperheads had a majority of 10 for English. They elected one representative – Joseph Taylor – and us one – Saul Mallory. We elected all the Justices of the Peace. Judging from our own town, things looked dark and many of us feared that we had lost the state, but in the evening returns came in more favorable and we had reason to be jubilant, the prospects being very favorable. I stayed with a large crowd at D. B. Booth’s office until about 10 1.2 o’clock to get the returns from other parts of the state. A good joke on myself going for Henry Bevans to vote. I supposed he voted the Republican Ticket, but he said he should vote Democratic, so I left him at home and would not take him. APRIL 03 TUESDAY - A lovely spring day. No work in the shop yet. I let Seth Downs take the horse and wagon to go for his family down to Plum Trees. A 100 gun (salute) were fired today to commemorate the fall of Richmond one year ago today. Fifty of them were fired in the P.M. and fifty of them in the evening. I helped work the gun in the afternoon. A glorification was held in Concert Hall in the evening. Gussie and I went. Bell came down and stayed with the baby I ran up the flag on Father Griswold’s house today. APRIL 04 WEDNESDAY - A little muggy in the morning with some appearance of rain, but it came off pleasant and we have had another beautiful spring day. I had work all day in the shop. I have a cold settled in my lungs which ache and make me feel miserable. Gussie received her anatomical plates from Mr. Dr. Rawlins. I stayed at home in the evening and let Gussie go to market. Bell came down about 6 o’clock in the evening to have me cut her hair, but I could not, as I did not have a pair of shears suitable. APRIL 05 THURSDAY - Another beautiful day, mild and warm. I had work in the shop. When I came home from work, I raked the covering off my strawberry bed. George dug post holes for Walter Sparks this morning. Mother and Bell took the horse this P.M. and rode to Bethel to see Mr. Squires and Aunt Harriet Mills. When they returned, they went up to the cemetery. I am badly affected with the rheumatism again today. I can scarcely get my hand to my head. I heard the frogs peep this evening for the first time this spring. APRIL 06 FRIDAY - Warm and showery. Cut Bell’s hair in the morning. Mr. Cocking paid me his rent. I took the $200 Harriet Wheeler gave me last evening and took up a note of that amount in the Danbury Bank for Father Griswold as the money was left by Father Griswold for that purpose. I then went down to the shop and got some gum shellac to spread over cuts on trees made by trimming them. I got it for Mr. Pond and myself. After dinner, I borrowed Seth Down’s saddle and rode up home. From there, I went over to Mr. Lynes’ to see Mr. Cocking. I saw Granville Ambler over there. I tried to sell him (Ambler) my horse, but could not. Mrs. Cocking sent Gussie a small ball of butter and a ½ dozen of eggs. It continued showery all day. I did not go out in the evening. I received a letter today from little George Humphrey of Canton. I wrote an answer before retiring. APRIL 07 SATURDAY - Stormy. It rained quite steady in the P.M. I rode downtown in the forenoon with Mr. Cocking. He gave me two heads of lettuce, my first this season, and about the first in market with Robert. Received a letter from Ambrose Hill saying that George could have work where he is at Prentiss in Brooklyn. Lorenzo B. Sage has charge of the department where George is going. I rode the horse downtown to show to George Wood after dinner. If he sells his horse, I shall try to sell mine to him. When I returned, George took him and rode up home. He stayed with us to dinner. I went to the shop about 2 ½ o’clock and got my pay - $7.96 for two days’ work. I bought some smelt and came home. George came down after tea and we went into the street together in the evening. He called at the Post Office and got $4.00 left there for him by David Bradley which George lent to him last winter. He also got part pay for a sifter from Morgan Chittenden who he saw at the Post Office. He is making arrangements to go to Brooklyn next week. The letter I wrote last evening to George Humphrey, I mailed today. APRIL 08 SUNDAY - I woke and found the ground covered with snow and still snowing. It continued snowing all day more or less, but accumulated very slowly on account of melting so fast. About 5 P.M., it broke away in the west. This, I believe, is the 17th snow of any account this winter. We have had a number of squalls and little flutters of which I have made no accounts. Perhaps if all of them were counted, they would number 25 more or less. George came down this morning about his usual time for going to Bethel for Mr. Lockwood (the chorister), but on account of the storm did not go. He stayed until meeting time and then walked down to church with Gussie. She came home at noon and I went down to Sunday School and to prayer meeting in the P.M. George came home with me to tea, after which he went to Bethel for Mr. Lockwood intending to be at the church with him at 5 o’clock for a rehearsal before evening meeting. He borrowed Mr. McDonald’s carriage to go with, he not wanting to go in an open wagon for at the time he started, it was snowing. It being Conference Sunday, A Mr. Wardell, a young minister, was sent from Conference to preach for us today. I attended preaching in the evening. Rev. Wardell preached an excellent sermon from “The Thief’s Prayer on the Cross”. John Main and Saul Main and wife (formerly Edith Newman) have been here in town today. They attended church and sang in the choir. Mr. Lockwood was here in the evening and led the choir. George returned with him to Bethel after the evening meeting. APRIL 09 MONDAY - Pleasant. Yesterday’s snow has disappeared except a little in shaded localities. After breakfast, I got Seth Down’s saddle and rode down to Bethel to see if Lockwood (our chorister) would buy my horse. He would not give a definite answer today. When I returned, I rode up to the machine shop to see Russell Smith about the money he owes me but found that he had left there and would not work there any more for the present. George came in about noon and helped me mend the harness and stayed to dinner. He then borrowed my carpet bag and rode the horse up home to prepare to go to Brooklyn in the morning. While he was gone, George Wood and son came to look at the horse with a view to buying. He agreed to give me $50.00 provided he would work before a cart at drawing dirt. He took him to try, but before he got to the place of dirt with the cart, he got so beastly drunk that he could do nothing at all. I took the horse and cart from him and returned the cart and came home with the horse resolved to wait until he was sober before I transacted any business with him. Before I got home, however, I saw his son who told me he would come and get the horse tomorrow morning. Theo. Fowler died at 1 ½ o’clock this P.M. I went down town in the evening. APRIL 10 TUESDAY - Pleasant. I went down to the shop in the morning, but there was no work. I rode to Bethel to see if Ben Lockwood wanted my horse. I returned about 10 o’clock and harnessed and carried Mother Griswold, Fanny, and Josie Wheeler over to Charles Fowler’s to engage butter for the summer. I kept on by Lake Kenosha and home by way of Miry Brook. After dinner, we rode up to the cemetery, the same party except that Gussie went in place of Josie Wheeler. I expected George Wood to come for the horse this evening, but he did not. I made a fire in the garden to burn the rubbish just before tea. John Brayman came over and walked down into the street with me in the evening. I intended to go to Class Meeting, but was too late after doing my marketing. Commenced to wean baby. April 11 Wednesday - Pleasant. I went to the shop in the morning expecting work but met some of the men just this side who said there would be none until tomorrow. I came home just before noon and harnessed the horse and carried two bushels of potatoes downtown to an Irishman who works for A. Hickok, shoemaker. I got 9 cents per bushel; he paid for one bushel and I am to get paid for the other on Saturday if not before. I rode over to Mr. Lynes’ to borrow a whip of Robert Cocking. I drove up to Daniel’s Nursery to look at Arbor vitae for a hedge. I engaged 66 or more if I need them for 9 cents each. Hattie Mills called between 4 and 5 o’clock. Gussie and baby being up home to my father’s, I took Hattie in and rode up there and brought Gussie home. Bell walked down and drew baby in his carriage and stayed to tea with Hattie Mills. I went into the street in the evening. An umbrella mender came along this P.M. and I had 2 umbrellas repaired for 60 cents. APRIL 12 THURSDAY - Pleasant. I had a little more than a ½ day's work in the shop, the first since a week ago today. Theo. Fowler was buried at 1 P.M. I received a letter from George, giving me the number of his boarding place. It is at 64 Prince Street Brooklyn, New York. I answered it and enclosed letters for him received here from South Norwalk, Ridgefield and St. Augustine. After writing to George in the P.M., I marked off the Sunday School papers: Sunday School Advocates – 78, Sunday School Journals – 46. Gussie, Mother, Bell and Hattie Mills took the horse after dinner and went to Bethel and spent the afternoon at Aunt Harriet’s. Gussie and Bell went to Mr. Dare’s store to sell tatting. Mr. Dare paid Gussie $2.00 for a dozen salves I left there on the 24th of March. Mr. Pond called in the evening to see Father Griswold about a school meeting to be held tomorrow evening. I walked downtown with Mr. Pond and mailed my letter to George with 3 letters enclosed which came here since he went away. Susan Brayman came over in the evening to borrow flat irons of Gussie. ARIL 13 FRIDAY - Appearance of rain in the morning. It did rain a little about 8 o’clock, but it finally came off warm and pleasant. I had a full day’s work in the shop. Bell came to the shop to borrow a dollar of me with which to go to Stamford next Monday. Before tea, I rode up home and tried to persuade her not to go, believing that in their destitute circumstances, it was not advisable for our folks to encourage her in the matter, as she would need all she could earn before the summer is over for her clothing. She and Mother both felt so badly for her to have to give up the contemplated visit that I finally gave her the dollar with which what she had would make out enough though I still could not approve of her going. In the evening, I attended a School meeting at Military Hall at which there was appointed a committee to examine and find out what would probably be the expense of rebuilding or refitting buildings acquired for the primary departments of our present and more perfected plans of a graded school as is now contemplated. A paper by mail today for George which I remailed to him at 64 Prince Street, Brooklyn, New York. APRIL 14 SATURDAY - Pleasant until nearly at night when it clouded over and in the evening, it began to mist. No work in the shop. In the morning, I drove over to Philander Betts’ to try and sell my horse to him, but I did not see him. Bought 50 lbs. of corn and oats ground together for horse feed. Bought our first shad at 22 cents per pound. I rode up home just before tea and got a pair of pants which Father has been coloring for George. Before retiring, I made a bundle of them and directed it to send by express. I got my pair for a bushel of potatoes sold to an Irishman working for A. Hickok. Victor Benedict (our foreman) drew my money for me today and left it at Judd’s Store for me. APRIL 15 SUNDAY - Pleasant and warm. I went to Bethel this morning to get Lockwood (our chorister) in George’s place as he was obligated to go today, it being the last time. Gussie went to church in the morning. I went down to Sunday School and the afternoon service. Brother Hill preached in the morning. A Mr. Birch from New Haven preached in the P.M. After tea, I wrote to George. Also ordered by letter of Carlton & Porter 6 more copies of Sunday School Advocates for 6 months from April 1st and 1 ½ dozen lessons for every Sunday in the year, 2nd Series, for the Sunday School; enclosed $3.06 - $2.16 for Lessons, 90 cents for Sunday School Advocates. Father Griswold preached in the evening. I harnessed the horse and drove down to the church. After meeting, I drove to Bethel with Mr. Lockwood. I returned home at about 10 o’clock. APRIL 16 MONDAY - Stormy. I had work nearly all day in the shop. In the evening I exchanged the castor I bought at auction March 29th for another which was more perfect. The one I returned was scratched. He is still here under Concert hall selling at auction every evening. Louise came down in the evening and stayed with the baby to let Gussie go over to Mrs. George Davis and make a shell frame. Mrs. Davis is showing her. The shells are from what George sent from the south while he was in the army in South Carolina and Florida. APRIL 17 TUESDAY - Pleasant but cooler. No work in the shop. I got out a part of my coal ashes and spread on apportion of my door yard and dug round some of my fruit trees. In the P.M., John Brayman worked for me at grading my front door yard and turfing the same. We took off the turf, carried away the soil, and then after grading, replaced the turf. We only about half finished the job, leaving the remainder for tomorrow or some other day. John stayed with us to tea. I let Mr. A. Judd take the horse to Bethel. He was gone until nearly night. I had a severe headache in the P.M. and in the evening. I worked, however with John, but in the evening, did not feel able to go into the street. So I sent to market by John, who was going down. Bell started for Stamford this morning. She took a bundle containing pants and a few other small things to express to George in Brooklyn from Stamford. APRIL 18 WEDNESDAY - It had some appearance of storm this morning and again in the evening, though I believe the sun shone a little in the middle of the day. I borrowed Alfred Gregory’s lumber wagon this morning and drew with Old Jim some muck from Father Griswold’s lot and manure from the barn. Just before noon, I went up to Daniel’s Nursery and got 70 Arbor vitae plants at 9 cents and Mr. Pond and myself set out a hedge between our yards. Sidney Miller came about noon to look at my horse, but did not buy. In the P.M., I went downtown and got $1.00 for the use of my horse yesterday. I went to the Jeffersonian Office for my paper. Mother came down and spent the afternoon and stayed to tea. I harnessed the horse and John Brayman drove up home with her. When he came back, we both drove over to Dr. Bulkeley’s to see if he wanted him to work for him tomorrow, but he was not home. John and myself went down to market together in the evening. I lent him a dollar. I called at Dr. Bulkeley’s office to consult about Gussie’s breasts which are very sore. She fears a “broken breast”. APRIL 19 THURSDAY - Pleasant and very warm for April. I worked around home at my strawberry bed until nearly noon when I harnessed and rode out to Mill Plain to try and sell the horse, wagon and harness to Frank Blissard who lives in the old Brown house just up the hill back of Birchard’s old place. I did not find him at home, but met him coming home as I returned. I returned home with him in order to let him see how Old Jim traveled. He was highly pleased with him and if he concludes to buy at all, he thinks he will take him. He is to let me know in a few days. As I returned home, I came by way of Dr. Bulkeley’s, where John Brayman was at work making a garden and brought him home. This was about 4 o’clock, he having made an additional hour and a half in the morning and at noon. After tea, I set out some new and removed some old rose bushes, shrubs, etc. for Gussie. We let Georgie run around the yard in the meantime, much to his amusement, it being the first time we have given him the chance to run loose out of doors. I, being tired and nearly exhausted, I stayed at home in the evening and let Gussie got to market. APRIL 20 FRIDAY - Very warm again today. I went to the shop in the morning expecting work, but there was none. I came home and harnessed the horse and took Georgie and John Sharp (who is sick but able to be out a little) to ride by going up home to get a pair of George’s old army shoes to work in the garden with. I then drove down to the Post Office and the news Office for my paper, Harpers Weekly. Miss English, who is nursing Mrs. Swift, saw me and wanted me to bring Georgie up and let them see him. I did so and left him there while I went over to Crofut’s Feed Store to get some fed for the horse. It being very warm in the middle of the day, I stayed in a while and read my paper. I went out about 3 P.M. and took off a high place from my sidewalk to make it level for my fence, which I expect to set down lower tomorrow as I grade my yard down to the level of the walk. After tea, I borrowed Seth Down’s saddle and rode to market and to the Post Office. I got a letter for Gussie from Libbie Mead. APRIL 21 SATURDAY - Pleasant and very warm again. John Brayman and Patrick Quinn worked for me all day at taking up and putting down again my front fence and grading the yard. A thunder shower for the first time this spring about 5 P.M. John took dinner with us and stayed to tea, after which, I cut John’s hair for him. He helped me take care of the horse before he went home. Before going to market, I took a good bath down to my hips which made me feel like a new creature. John came along just before 8 o’clock and we went into the street together. As I went, I carried 18 Lesson Books down to the Sunday School Library for the use of the school which I ordered last Sunday and came yesterday. Also 6 Sunday School Advocates for new subscribers for the remaining half year. As I was too busy to go to the shop for my pay today, I gave my checks (only $3.00) to Ezra Abbott, whom I saw on the street this evening to have him draw it for me on Monday. While I was in the street, I called at Joseph Ives’ store and made arrangements with Edmund Allen to go to Bethel in the morning for our chorister, Ben Lockwood. APRIL 22 SUNDAY - Pleasant and warm. I went to Bethel for Mr. Lockwood this morning. Brother Hill being sick, a Mr. Trumble, an agent for the Sunday School State Convention, I believe, preached for him. Gussie, as usual, attended church in the morning. I went down at noon to Sunday School. The Union Sunday School Concert was held in the P.M. at the 1st Congregational Church. I went into, but being obliged to stand, I soon got tired and came home. After tea, I wrote to George in Brooklyn, enclosing 50 cents from Morgan Chittenden on a flour sifter. I also wrote to Carlton & Porter ordering 2 Sunday School Advocates and I Sunday School Journal for new subscribers from April to October. I included the money for them. I harnessed the horse before evening meeting time and drove down to the church and waited for Mr. Lockwood. He finally came with Edmund Allen and wife where he had been to tea. I started with him for Bethel immediately without going to the evening services. APRIL 23 MONDAY - Stormy. John and Patrick came in the morning to finish my job of grading and turfing, but the storm drove them off about 9 o’clock. I harnessed and went to Mr. Crofut’s for the steps I bought of him for my piazza. After dinner, Gussie went downtown to the dyers and at the same time ordered 5o lbs. of lead for me, corn and oats for the horse. When she returned, I went to the shop and got $3.00 which I should have drawn on Saturday when they paid off. From there, I went to the car shop at the depot and arranged to borrow a jack screw tomorrow with which to raise my piazza to repair the underpinning. I then went to the barber’s and got my hair cut;, called at Crofut’s Feed Store and paid for the horse feed which Gussie ordered and came home and washed my wagon. While Gussie was away this P.M., John came in and I paid him for Patrick’s day’s work on Saturday - $2.00. He let his day go on the Book Account which I have against him. He is about sick himself, so he stayed in this evening and let his wife, in company with mine, go to market. Gussie brought me a letter from George when she returned. He is doing very well in Brooklyn for a commencement, but he has been about sick during the past week with a severe cold. He has changed his boarding place form 64 Prince Street to 269 Gold Street with ____. It has rained all day with but very little intermission and in the evening, a hard thunder shower while Gussie and Susan were in the street. The wind changed just at night and about dusk, the moon shone brightly; also again after the shower about 10 o’clock. Before retiring, I commenced an answer to George’s letter. APRIL 24 TUESDAY - Neither pleasant nor stormy – wind, sunshine and showers. I fitted the steps I bought of Mr. Crofut in their place in the forenoon. At the same time, I raised the corner of the piazza and blocked it up. I did it with a jack screw borrowed of Mr. Bedient at the railroad car shop at the depot. In the P.M., I put in 18 apple grafts for Father Griswold and dug away the old walk in my yard, taking it down in the same places about a foot, the new grade and steps making it necessary. I quit this work early and harnessed the horse and took the jack screw home. After tea, I borrowed Seth Down’s saddle and rode down to see Victor Benedict (our foreman) to see if there would be work tomorrow. I was too late, he having gone uptown before I got there. So I rode back home and added to the letter I wrote to George last evening and enclosed a letter from C. + E. K. Lockwood from Norwalk with $2.00 enclosed for sifters George had sold him. I mailed the letter with the $2.00 and 50 cents from Morgan Chittenden enclosed – total, $2.50. I attended class in the evening, the first time since I was assigned to Charles Stevens’ class. Before I retired, I wrote a receipt to C + E.K. Lockwood for the $2.00 received today. APRIL 25 WEDNESDAY - Pleasant, but rather cool. I had work in the shop today which lasted until after 6 o’clock. I came home by way of the Jeffersonian Office and got my paper. I being very tired, stayed home in the evening and let Gussie go to market in company with John’s wife. I made her fill the lamps while Susan was waiting for her. I would give her no money until she did. After she returned, John came over and got instructions about working for me tomorrow. As I went to work in the morning, I mailed a receipt for George to C. + E. K. Lockwood in Norwalk for $2.00 received in full for flour sifters. APRIL 26 - THURSDAY - Cold and raw with several little snow squalls during the day and but little sunshine. John Brayman and Patrick Quinn worked for me again today. I made arrangements with the foreman at the shop (V. W. Benedict) to give me my work tomorrow and let me play today, or rather, stay at home and work with my hired help, there being but one day’s work in the shop for today and tomorrow. We complete the job of grading, turning, filling ditch in front, making a mound, and setting up piazza steps, also grading and trimming sidewalk in front. I paid Pat $2.00 when we finished for his day’s work and gave John credit on an old Book Account for his day. Horace Cable wants to buy a horse and came this A. M. to look at mine. It did not suit him. It was not heavy enough for him. I, being very tired at night, I stayed home and let Gussie go to market. Ellen Dare married today to Joe Dunning. APRIL 27 FRIDAY - Pleasant and cool, though a little warmer than yesterday. I worked in the shop today. After work and before tea, I rode over to Mill Plain to see Frank Blissard about buying my horse. He has not fully decided yet to buy, but I think he will and that I can sell to him. Received a letter from George and wrote an answer and enclosed $1.00 from Ed Allen, the balance of amount due George for bringing Ben Lockwood from Bethel all winter to sing for us on Sunday. As I went to market in the evening, I mailed the letter. The Bethel Military Company marched up from bethel about noon today. They took dinner at Beers’ Restaurant, paraded in the street, and about 5 o’clock, marched again for Bethel. APRIL 28 SATURDAY - Pleasant and a little warmer. I had work in the shop until just after dinner. As I came home, I got the Sunday School Advocates at Swift & Day’s. I cleaned pout the privy and mixed muck with it before I got my supper. Gussie has spent the afternoon up home on Deer Hill. Bell came down and stayed with the baby in the evening while Gussie and I went into the street. I got a letter from George by the evening mail. APRIL 29 SUNDAY - Pleasant but windy. Gussie went to church in the morning as usual. I went down to Sunday School Meeting (which was a prayer meeting) having commenced some time before I finished my work at the library, I did not go in but came home. After tea, I took the horse from the stable to the brook to drink and then tied him down in my yard to eat the fresh grass for a short time. I wrote a letter to George after tea, also to Carlton & Porter ordering class books for the Sunday School. As I went to church in the evening, I mailed the two letters I wrote. Joseph B. Wakely was in church and Brother Hill left the desk and went to him and finally persuaded him to preach for him. He preached an excellent sermon from the parable or narrative of the rich man in hell and the poor man in Abraham’s bosom. It was a thrilling and elegant discourse. I walked up from church with Robert Lee. Bell came in just at church time this evening. I walked down with her. APRIL 30 MONDAY - Pleasant, but still rather cool. I had work all day in the shop. While we were eating breakfast, Mr. Judd’s son came and wanted the horse for the day. I left my breakfast and harnessed for him. As I came from work this P.M., I called at the Express Office to ascertain what it would cost for George to express a carpet bag home with his clothes to be washed instead of $1.25 as he was told in Brooklyn. It will cost only 75 cents. I wrote him about it and enclosed a letter to him taken from the office for Willie Franklin (the name is one assumed by him in correspondence with a lady from West Chazy who wrote to him in the army in answer to an advertisement for a correspondent in the Waverly Magazine). Mr. Judd returned the horse a little before dark, when I took him and drove down to Crofut’s Feed Store for some ground corn and oats for the horse. I returned the bag and mailed the letter to George in the evening. Gussie went into the street in the evening to exchange a new hat she bought on Saturday evening and is not pleased with. Louise Vintz came in and stayed with Georgie while we both away.






Purdy, Horace, 1835-1909. “Horace Purdy Journal April 1866 Entry.” Horace Purdy Journals, MS 044. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 18 Nov. 2019.

Document Viewer


Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.