Horace Purdy Journal November 1865 Entry

Dublin Core




11/01 WEDNESDAY - Pleasant. Mrs. Stone has been cleaning for Gussie today. Father has been helping Mrs. Stone and cutting up some wood and getting in my vegetables. George went to Redding today for my butter but it was not put down yet. I went to market in the evening. Before retiring, I wrote to Alfred Humphrey in reply to a note saying that he could not provide the flour for us which I spoke to him about. I also wrote to Carleton & Porter and enclosed $2.90 for papers which I ordered last week. I omitted to enclose the money at that time; until now I supposed that I did. 11/02 THURSDAY - Cloudy in the morning and rain in the P.M. As I went to the shop this morning, I carried my gun over to Stevens' Machine Shop to get a new tube put in and some other repairs. In the P.M., I saw Henry Blair's dog, Bird near the shop. I called him in and kept him until I came home from work. As I came out from the shop tonight, Mr. Crofut spoke to me about the $400 note he gave me to raise money on at the bank to assist George in buying the patent rights for his sifters. The note will come due on the 7th. Mrs. Stone finished cleaning house for us today '3 days' work; I paid her $4.00. Alex Pine came for the clothes last night his wife is to wash for us this week. After tea, I took the coffee pot, bread pan, funnel, toy tin pail and small tin cup to the tin shop to be mended. At an auction at the pawnbrokers, I bought a pound of black pepper for 20 cents. I bought 2 quarts of scallops for Mother Griswold and 2.5 pounds of striped bass for myself and came home. 11/03 Friday - Cloudy but no rain. I have felt nearly used up today. I lay down for a nap at the shop at noon. I got tired and stopped about an hour earlier than usual. As I came home from work, I called at A.G. Crosby's Coal Office and reported for not paying for some which I intended to about two weeks ago. I stopped at Charles Hull's for the tin ware I left there for repairs last evening. Before tea, I carried my apples from the woodhouse to the cellar. Just as we finished tea Clark Beers came in with the 5 lbs. of coffee and the 5 lbs. of black tea I have been for a long time expecting. We emptied it in jars and cans and then Clark, John Brayman and myself walked into the street together. Platt Osborne came in on the evening train; he came from Mexico; he has been an army sutler down on the Rio Grande. 11/04 SATURDAY - Stormy. On my way to work in the morning, I carried a high glass fluid lamp to Charles Hull's to be altered over for kerosene. An adjourned Hatters' Meeting at 3 P.M. in the room over Harris' Clothing Store opposite the 1st Church. The meeting was to further consider and take some action relating to Foul Shops and the apprentice rules of the National Trade Association and especially to hear the report of the Committee who were appointed at a previous meeting to wait on the bosses and make some arrangements if possible to prevent more Foul Shops and do away with what at present exist. The meeting was called by the Chairman of the Committee, Abram Chichester as it was left to him to do so as soon as a meeting could be had with the employers. They reported that arrangements could be made with the bosses to give fair men the work and stop giving out more to foul men provided we could supply men enough to do it and also if the Association would give them the privilege to take more apprentices. By doing so we would have to break over a law of the U.S. Association and at the meeting before I left (for I came out before it closed) they appointed a committee to wait on other soft hat finishing associations to see about withdrawing from the U.S. Association and establish one for ourselves for felt hatters. I carried in my tax list. I got some back numbers of Sunday School Advocates and Sunday School Journals which I ordered. Got my lamp at Charles Hulls' and came home. Mr. Hull stuck a knife into his hand while at work on my lamp this morning and this evening I gave him a plaster of Griswold's salve to put on it. 11/05 SUNDAY - Pleasant this morning but cooler. I stayed with Georgie in the morning to let Gussie attend church. She came home at 12 o'clock and I went to Sunday School and Prayer meeting in the afternoon, but having emptied the Infant Class money box, I had between 4 and 5 dollars in pennies to carry home and came home directly after Sunday School without attending the Prayer meeting. George kept his horse up to his house last night; he came back here with it about dusk. A snow squall, the first of the season came about dusk. I was sufficient to white the ground. I went to church in the evening. Brother Hill preached. Before retiring, I wrote to Carleton & Porter concerning the subscribers to the Teachers' Journal in 1864, now the Sunday School Journal. I requested that the paper be sent for the unexpired term of those who took it at that time when it was stopped with 6 months due to subscribers. Gussie wrote to Canton before retiring. 11/06 MONDAY - Pleasant this morning, but colder than before this season. I t froze harder. The snow which fell last evening was on the ground and gave it a wintry appearance but a few hours of sun drove it from sight. John Brayman came from Norwalk on the freight train and was with us to tea. Louise came down and stayed with Georgie to let Gussie go with me into the street. She went to the milliner's with her hat and to Mr. Morse with her furs to be relined. I bought a pair of gloves for myself and we went together to see Dr. Bulkeley about Georgie's cold. Before retiring, I drew up the prices paid in New York for hardening wool hats. John has been to New York at the expense of the hardeners to ascertain the prices for them. (the hardeners at P. Robinson's shop). He wished me to write it up for him. While I was writing this journal, John put up pennies in 25 cent rolls for me. 11/07 TUESDAY - Pleasant. Did not work in the shop in the forenoon on account of having to make a payment on a note in the bank and getting it renewed. The note was one given by Henry Crofut for $400 to assist George to buy the county right for Tilden's Flour Sifters. George being away at the time, I endorsed it for him, so it stood in my name at the bank. George gave me $50 to pay on it and $350 to be renewed which I got done for him. I worked in the shop in the P.M. As I came from work, I came by way of Stevens' Machine Shop and got my gun which he had been repairing, tightening one hammer and forging out a new tube and setting it in. I could not buy one large enough and he in consequence was obliged to make a new one. He charged me $1.00 for the job. Bought 2 yards of material for pants in the evening at Gillette's, carried them to Charles Stevens' to be cut and to be called for tomorrow. The material cost $3.00 per yard. The clerk at Gillette's (Crosby) is to get them made for me. Colder in the evening. While in the street, I let the news dealer (Mr. Day) have $3.00 in pennies; he gave me bills for them. New York and New Jersey state elections today. 11/08 WEDNESDAY - Very cold last night; the frost went into the ground about 4 inches. I loaded and tried my gun this morning to see if it leaked around one of the tubes as before it was repaired. I found it perfectly tight. I worked until about 2 o'clock in the shop and then came home with a hard headache. I brought home the Sunday School Advocates and Sunday School Journals from the news office, also two stove pipe elbows from Charles Hull's which I ordered yesterday. When I got home, I marked off the papers for the Sunday school. John Brayman's boss (Peter Robinson) buried a child today and in consequence the formers' factory has been closed and John out of work. He put up some wood for me in the wood house in the P.M. Wrote to Carleton & Porter with 30 cents enclosed for another copy of the Sunday School Advocate. I not feeling able to go to market, I let John mail my letter and do the marketing. Corydon Lord from Elyria came on the train this evening form Warehouse Point near Hartford. He is a segar manufacturer and is here to buy tobacco. 11/09 THURSDAY - A snow or hail squall this morning about 7 o'clock, after which it was pleasant all day. John forgot to mail my letter last evening and I mailed it as I went to work this morning. Between 3 and 4 o'clock this afternoon, Gussie and Harriet came to the shop with Corydon Lord who wished to go through the factory and see how hats were made. I went through with him and the he waited for me to finish off one hat and part of another when I came home with him. We found Gussie and Harriet who had been in the trimming room waiting for us at the foot of the stairs. The hat which I finished yesterday for John was trimmed, so I brought it home with me. While waiting for tea, Mr. Wright's boy came with 5 gallons of kerosene oil which I engaged yesterday. Alex Pine brought a keg in the evening for us to save our swill in for him. I stayed with the baby in the evening to let Gussie go up to William Scofield's where Harriet Mills boards to get some corers from hat trimmings to send by Corydon Lord to his daughters when he returns home to Elyria. 11/10 FRIDAY - George had a new shoe put on his horse; borrowed $2.00 of me; started on peddling trip in the P.M. to be gone until tomorrow night. I worked as usual in the shop. After tea, Corydon Lord, Fanny and Harriet came in to spend the evening. I went into the street and engaged Beatty's to come for Cousin Corydon and take him to the cars in the morning. John went with me. When we returned Harriet had gone home and Fanny went soon after, leaving Corydon to finish the evening with us. 11/11 SATURDAY - Corydon Lord left this morning on the train. My Birthday. I worked all day in the shop. On my way home from work I got my new pants at Gillette & Fairchild's. I got the material there and they got them made for me. They cost $10.37. Gussie got her furs today which Mr. Morse has been repairing for her. After tea, John and I went into the street together, he to a Hat Makers' and I to a Hat Finishers' Meeting. Ours was to hear a report from a committee (A. Heath and A. Chichester) who had been sent to confer with other Finishers' associations in Bethel, Norwalk, New Jersey and New York relative to calling a meeting of the National Association or cutting loose from it altogether. I left the meeting before its close. Louise stayed with the baby in the evening to let Gussie go and get her new bonnet. 11/12 SUNDAY - Cold in the morning but it moderated before night. George came home last night and kept his horse up there until this morning when he came down with the team. John Brayman stayed with the baby in the forenoon and let Gussie and I go to church together. She came home at noon and I stayed to Sunday School and to Sacrament in the P.M. Mr. Breckenridge from Bethel preached in the morning and Sunday School Prayer Meeting at noon. George came home with me to supper. John went up home with him after supper and Gussie went up to the cemetery with Mrs. Daniel Starr. Philo White, a son of Cyrus White, and the one who has all his life had fits died in one at about one o'clock this afternoon. John not having suitable clothes to attend church, I stayed home and lent him my overcoat and he went to meeting. George's horse is sick; it acts like horse distemper. Before retiring, I drew up a paper soliciting help for Henry Heinman. John is to take it to the shop with him in the morning and put it into the hands of Mr. Squires or some other good man for circulation. 11/13 MONDAY - Pleasant and warmer; Indian Summer weather. A shop call after dinner to hear a proposition from Mr. Crofut. He wants to reduce our wages to 2 (per cent?) on a dozen now that the hurry is over. As the last raise was made in hurried times and he obliged to lose money on account of it. As there was a trade meeting called at 3 P.M. by the journeymen of Mallory's shop on the same question of reducing prices, we deferred final action until tomorrow morning. The shop adjourned at three o'clock to attend the meeting. After the meeting, I bought material the same as my new pants at Gillette's for a new vest. Carried it to Charles Stevens' to be cut. Bought some horse powder at Dr. Baldwin's for George to give to his horse. Mrs. Stone washed for us today; she did the ironing also. I went to Sunday School's teachers' Meeting in the evening. When I returned, I found John Bouton and wife at the house spending the evening. They stayed late. I copied the minutes of the Teachers' Meeting before retiring. John Brayman and I rolled a half barrel of cider in the cellar for Father Griswold before we retired. Mr. Harris brought it just at night. 11/14 FRIDAY - Pleasant and warm again today. A shop call at 8 o'clock this morning (it being an adjourned meeting from yesterday. And we accepted Mr. Crofut's proposition of a reduction of 2 (per cent?) per dozen on our bill of prices except on one Quality No. 5. All the employees in town are reducing their prices on account of a slack of trade. By working for little less, we can have work steady. When at our late high prices they will not manufacture without orders and store the goods. I worked as long as I could see in the shop. George carried Gussie and baby up home this P.M. She stayed to tea. I went to market in the evening. 11/15 WEDNESDAY - Pleasant and mild. I worked hard in the shop. Father dug up two cherry trees and moved two pear trees in their places for me this afternoon. I sent my boots to the shoemaker's this morning by the errand boy at the shop; he went for them just before I quit work. George went to Norwalk on the afternoon train to help John move tomorrow. After tea, I went to market. I stayed in the street until the mail cam and then came home and went up to Father Griswold's barn and finished putting a lock on George's peddling box which Father commenced just at night but did not finish it. 11/16 THURSDAY - Pleasant and warm again today. Father came down early this morning to put another lock on one of the seat boxes to George's peddling box. He started on his first peddling trip about 10 A.M. We expected John Brayman and family up here today as he went down home last night intending to move today but they did not come. I went into the street in the evening and got the Sunday School Journal back numbers which were due old subscribers in 1864 when they stopped for a season publishing them. William B. Davis died today from injuries from being thrown from a wagon. 11/17 FRIDAY - It is still very warm for the season. There were signs of rain in the morning and in fact, it did rain a little at noontime. John Brayman moved from Norwalk today by railroad. George has been helping him. His wife and children took tea over to Aunt Louisa's and John at my house. Gussie and I went over to see how they were getting along after tea. They got the stove put up and a bed so that they could stay overnight. John and I went into the street together to do some marketing in the evening. Father came home from peddling this evening. 11/18 SATURDAY - Another beautiful day. I worked until about 2 o'clock and then came home feeling about tired out. I laid down on the lounge and slept until tea time. Harriet Mills came here to tea from the shop and spent the evening. I went to market in the evening and paid William E. Wright for 5 gallons of kerosene oil - $4.60. Paid Dr. Bulkeley 25 cents for coming to see the baby last week. I got my new vest at Gillette & Fairchild's. 11/19 - Stormy. Gussie attended church in the morning and evening and I in the P.M. A Union Temperance Meeting in the evening at the 1st Church addressed by Col. Smith. After tea, I went over to see John Brayman a few minutes. In the meantime, his wife and Aunt Louisa had gone up to see Anna and my folks on Deer Hill. 11/20 MONDAY - Cloudy all day but no rain. I ordered one cwt. Of horse feed for George's horse and paid for it myself as I went to the shop this morning. George went to Redding to _____ for the pot of butter she has been putting down for me. There were 34 pounds of it at 55 cents for $18.83. I bought a pocket clothes track of George for 80 cents. I paid 50 cents sinking funds money to Fanny in the evening. I sold a roll of salve in the evening to Henry Earl. 11/21 TUESDAY - Stormy all day. Sold two rolls of salve at the shop to Walter Sparks and George Benjamin. I traded one roll with Oscar Serrine for 2 pounds of a new kind of soap. We had strawberries for tea which were kept in Lyman's patent air-tight fruit jars. They were very delicious. Father and George built a rack over the horse manger in which to put hay for the horse to feed on between feeding times. Before tea, I went to Serrine's for the soap. After tea, I went to the barn to see about the horse and as he had been standing in the stable all day, I put on his bridle, mounted him and too a horseback ride up Main Street by lamp light, the first time I ever rode him except to water him. I went to market and brought home some scallops, after which I washed the grease from Mr. Kerrigan's hat. Before retiring, we ate our last pear from my dwarf trees in the garden. 11/22 WEDNESDAY - The sun has tried to shine once or twice today but most of the time it has been cloudy with some rain. Just after tea, about 6 o'clock, it cleared off and the moon and stars shone quite beautifully but it became quite cloudy about 8 o'clock. The hat which I washed last evening to finish over today would not bear blocking over but broke before putting it on the block. After tea, I cleaned off the horse, cleared out the stable and fed him and then went to market. 11/23 THURSDAY - Cloudy all day with the exception of once or twice when the sun shone rather dimly for about 5 minutes. I am nearly sick with a cold. I feel sore and lame; my bones ache. I finished over an old hat for Mr. Kerrigan of the Jeffersonian Office. Carried it to him as I came home from work. I got $1.50 for the job, all trimmed up and in good shape. 11/24 FRIDAY - Pleasant. We having so many hats ahead of the trimmers, they concluded to pay us off this afternoon and stop work tomorrow to let the trimmers get a little start. I felt bad in the morning, had a severe headache come on before noon. I ate nothing at dinner time but kept at work all day and actually felt better in the P.M for not eating anything at noon. I came home sick however and retire early. Louise came down in the evening and took care of Georgie to let Gussie attend the Sewing Society at Emily Anderson's. John Brayman called to see me after I was in bed. 11/25 Saturday - Cloudy and cool with some appearance of rain in the morning. There being no work in the shop, I went with Henry Blair and George hunting. It being so late when we started, we did not go where we intended # Starrs Plain. I brought home one quail only. As soon as I came home I cleaned my gun and put it away. After returning from hunting George left me at the house and then drove up home. After tea, George dressed for Singing School and took Mother in and drove down to my house and she spent the evening while George went to Singing School and I to market. After marketing I went into the rehearsal for a few minutes. Mr. Lockwood, our new choir leader was with us for the first time. He is hired, I understand, to lead our choir. After rehearsal, George came to my house and harnessed the horse to take Mother home. I rode up with them to drive the horse home and put him in the stable. Got a picture of Georgie at the artist and lost it. 11/26 SUNDAY - Pleasant. Dr. Durbin, Corresponding Secretary of the Missionary Society, preached in the forenoon and the missionary collection was taken. Gussie attended and came home directly after the service to let me go down to Sunday School and the afternoon service. Mr. Lockwood led the choir today for the first time on the term for which he is hired. After supper, I went over to see John Brayman for a few minutes. Dr. Durbin addressed our congregation again in the evening. I attended. I was requested by Brother Hill to take a card and pass down the aisle and take subscriptions; I did so. We finished up the work by rising up $500.00 for the missions. When I returned, I found Father and John Brayman at the house. Father came for a handkerchief and spectacles which Mother left yesterday. John came to borrow my overcoat to wear to Norwalk tomorrow, he having been subpoenaed on a case to be tried there tomorrow. 11/27 MONDAY - Pleasant. George went out selling sifters and took in $10.00. He took my gun with him and brought home 3 red squirrels. Carried vest to Gillette & Fairchild's store to get a watch pocket put in as I went to work in the morning. Also, I ordered a new coat at Harris' store and was measured for the same. John Brayman returned form Norwalk where he went as a witness on a case in law. He returned my overcoat in the evening which he borrowed to go down. His wife came in with him as he brought the coat and from here they went into the street together. Mr. Crofut's new shop near the Gas Works was raised today. 11/28 TUESDAY - Pleasant but cold. George too my gun with him today on a peddling trip. He shot two red squirrels. He broke the wormer (ed.note, used to extract unfired bullets from gun barrel) off the end of the ramrod. I repaired it in the evening and also made a pouncing block (ed.note, device used hat manufacturing) to use in the shop. Bell came down today with her old cloak to be cut over. She stayed all day. I went to market in the evening. 11/29 WEDNESDAY - Cloudy and cold with the appearance of snow all day. I came home before night with a headache. I picked up some wood around the woodhouse and carried it in. Father raked off my yard and covered my strawberry beds with leaves before tea. I bridled Jim and rode up home and paid Father $.50 for working for me. After tea, Moses Baxter and myself helped Father Griswold move stoves. I then went into the street and bought a fore quarter of beef and ordered it sent up tomorrow. I got shaved at Homer Peters' and came home. 11/30 THURSDAY - Pleasant. My beef came today -85lbs. at 12 cents of David Osborne. I called in the evening and paid him for it - $10.62 and 18 cents for 4 quarts of salt. Came home and ruled a Librarian's book for David Bradley; expected him to call and read off names for one to write them in the new book but he did not come. George was not able, he said, to drive away and sell sifters today on account of a sore face, where he had a tooth extracted. He could not even cut some hay for his horse, but could go downtown and this evening take Sarah Purdy and his cousin Mary Purdy and ride over to Mill Plain. Gussie went over to Mrs. Baxter's in the evening and got her new dress which she has been making for her.




Western Connecticut State University




Purdy, Horace, 1835-1909. “Horace Purdy Journal November 1865 Entry.” Horace Purdy Journals, MS 044. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 24 Jan. 2020.

Document Viewer


Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.