Horace Purdy Journal February 1865 Entry

Dublin Core




02/01 WEDNESDAY - The weather quite moderate and cloudy in the A.M. The sun shone in the afternoon and just at night the wind began to blow with the appearance of being colder. Father Griswold's folks had company to tea. Gussie, Baby, Bell and I went up there. Brother Hill (preacher) and wife, Bartram and wife, Scofield and wife, C. T. Stevens and wife, R. Wildman and wife, and George Starr and wife made up the party. They borrowed our table to put with theirs and had them filled twice at that. The second table however was only about half filled. Harriet had Josie baptized before tea by Father Griswold. It was done before I got home. I mailed the Jeffersonian to George in the evening. Wendell Phillips lectured this evening at Concert Hall. I cannot attend. The papers say today that the constitutional amendment abolishing slavery throughout the length and breadth of the land was passed by Congress. 02/02 THURSDAY - Pleasant, but cooler that yesterday. I was put from black hats onto Full Stiff Vicuna Col. (called Brush), but in reality only 'Jack Ups' today. After tea, I went to market and Mother Griswold came down and prepared some doughnuts for Gussie which she intends to fry tomorrow. I bought a new top for one of our high fluid lamps for burning kerosene oils without a chimney. Received another letter from George today in which he acknowledged the receipt of the $10.00 I sent him. 02/02 FRIDAY - Pleasant in the morning; cloudy in the P.M. and in the evening. I was late getting to the shop this morning, but worked very hard and was tired at night. As I came from work at night, I took from the Office a package of old letters from George which he sent home for preservation. Bell went to the Children's Singing School at the Baptist Church in the evening. I went to market and brought home a brass bound Cedar Water Jack, price 88 cents. A war meeting in the basement of Concert Hall in the evening for the purpose of filling our quota for the coming call for troops and thereby save a draft. I did not stay but came home. The evening post says that the rebel peace commissioners and our authorities have met and are on board of one of our gunboats on the James River in conference with each other. The baby is poorly with a severe cold and Gussie called in Dr. Buckley today as he was riding by. Mother Griswold came down this morning after breakfast and helped Gussie make a bunch of doughnuts. Father Griswold started for the train this morning and got left. He took the stage and went to the city by way of Brewster Station. Before retiring, I commenced a letter to George. 02/04 SATURDAY - The ground was just whitened over with snow this morning and some of the old ice besides before night. I have felt miserable today; it is without doubt from the effects of the poison from the hats which is inhaled while finishing them. David Mills came up on the freight train to call on Mr. T. Barnum, the War Claim Agent, to see about his back pay and pension which is being procure by him (Barnum). He called on me at the shop. The afternoon was warm and pleasant. I went to market in the evening. A caucus was held in the basement of Concert Hall in the evening to nominate delegates to the _____. 02/05 SUNDAY - Pleasant with the exception of a snow squall at 10 o'clock in the A. M. bot colder than yesterday; Windy, much like March. Cousin Eugene Douglas from New York City came to Father Griswold's by the train last evening. I spent the forenoon at the Sunday School Library alphabetically arranging the books. Gussie came home at noon to take care of baby and let Gussie go to church in the P.M. I stayed down and attended too. After tea, Father came down as usual. When Gussie's cousin Eugene finished his tea, Mother Griswold and fanny came down with him and I went him up to Whitlock's Boarding School to see one of his scholars, the son of a friend of his in the city, after which I walked with him the length of Main Street and to the cemetery arriving home again just before evening meeting time. Gussie and I attended in the evening as did he. On my way, I mailed a letter to George and a Harper's Weekly. After evening meeting we spent about an hour visiting with Cousin Eugene up to Father Griswold's. 02/06 MONDAY - Gussie's cousin Eugene Douglas took the train this morning for New York. I worked as usual all day. We were paid off in the P.M. I turned in $20.00 of my last two weeks' work to balance my account with Mr. Crofut for the $60.00 he advanced me when I bought my pork. I drew Jesse D. Steven's money for him - $11.75 - and sent it to him by Tom Mansfield. Just as our tea was ready, David Bradley came in with some picture frames he had been making for Gussie. He got one of them too large. Before he got away, Emily Anderson came in and gave me some library books from her scholars who had them out a long time. We are trying to get them all in preparatory to buying some. Burr Bradley went with me in the evening to the church to help me catalogue the library. The peace movement of government officials a failure. 02/07 TUESDAY - Cloudy all the forenoon until after dinner when it began to snow and continued until bedtime, accumulating fast. On my way home from work, I took from the Post Office a package of old letters sent home by George for preservation. They were marked $1.60 due by the scales in this Post Office. It felt a little short so that I paid only $1.54. In the evening, I went to Gillette and Baird's store for a baby's sack that Gussie had left there to be stamped. I paid 20 cents for the stamping and came away and left it on the counter. After class meeting, I went there for it. On account of a temperance lecture to be given at our church tomorrow evening, our class joined with Brother C T. Steven's class. Very few were present on account of the storm. 02/08 WEDNESDAY - Fine mist and rain this morning with 3 or 4 inches of snow, the bottom of which was all water. It cleared off and the sun shone brightly after dinner. Colder just at night; it began to freeze in the evening. Cousins Susan, Addie and Albert came up from Ridgefield and took Bell home with them. She met them at Barnum's Hotel about 5 o'clock where they all took supper and started for Ridgefield about 7 o'clock. We heard that they were to remain at the hotel quite late before leaving and I went there to take Bell from the party and bring her home on that account but I was just too late as they had gone about 5 minutes previous. There was a young fellow with them, probably a beau of Susan's. Burr Bradley and myself intended to finish making up the catalogue of our Sunday School this evening, but the temperance lecture that was to be delivered there was held downstairs on account of the bad walking and therefore, we could do nothing at the library. I borrowed a pair of tinner's shears at Charles Hull's to cut a piece of zinc to take to the shop to round hats on and came home and cut it out. Gussie attended the lecture. 02/09 THURSDAY - Bell is still at Ridgefield. The day has been pleasant but cold. I have worked hard all day in the shop. A boy living with Dr. Lacey gave Harriet a sleigh ride passing here. She stopped in front of the house and talked with Gussie but did not come in. As Father came from the shop tonight, he came this way to see if Bell had gone to Ridgefield. I did not see him as it was before I came from work. I did not go downtown in the evening but stayed home and split wood in the woodhouse. As I went to work this morning, I mailed a Jeffersonian to George. I also carried home the shears I borrowed last evening to cut zinc with. 02/10 FRIDAY - Cold; sunshine and snow squalls during the day. I worked as usual in the shop. Gussie took tea up to her mother's before I came home. After tea, David Bradley came with the picture frames he took back to alter the size of. He made in all 5 of them and charged only 50 cents. He walked down into the street with me. I there met Burr Bradley according to agreement and we together completed making a catalogue of our Sunday School library. We worked at it until after 9 o'clock. Bell came home from Ridgefield on the evening train. 02/11 SATURDAY - Pleasant; it thawed a little in the middle of the day. John Bussing cut my hair in the shop this afternoon. Gussie went out and made some calls this P.M. Bell stayed with the baby. Dr. Buckley came about nine o'clock today and vaccinated our baby. After supper, I went into the street; came home after the mail arrived. 02/12 SUNDAY - Severe cold. I have felt it more than any other time this winter. Bell did not go to church today; she is nearly sick with a cold she caught going to Ridgefield last Wednesday. I attended all day. Gussie went in the P.M. which was the Sacrament Service. After supper, I finished a letter to George. Father came down to see us as usual after tea. Rev. Mr. Whittaker addressed the people at the 1st Church in the evening on the workings of the sanitary Commission in the Army. Gussie and I both attended. On my way there, I mailed a letter and Harper's Weekly to George. 02/13 MONDAY - Severe cold last night and this morning; the weather is not quite so severe tonight though it is very cold still. On my way to my work this morning, I called at the Jeffersonian Office to see what it would cost to have some catalogs of our Sunday School Library printed. I worked as usual in the shop. After tea, I went over to Lockwood Olmstead's for my hams and shoulders which he has been smoking for me. Four of them cost 1 dollar each. After I brought them home I hastened to the church to attend a Sunday School teacher's meeting. The subject of having the school select their books by catalogs was brought up. They finally concluded not to get the catalogs but distribute the books for the present on the old plan. Brother Hill ordered the new Sunday School Library books this morning through Swift and Sage. Wrote off numbers for library books just before retiring. Retired at midnight. 02/14 TUESDAY - St. Valentine's Day. Very cold last night, but more mild now. It has thawed a little during the day. Mrs. Stone washed for us. Bell is still nearly sick with her cold - she coughs and is hoarse - Gussie went over to Mrs. Miller this afternoon and stayed to tea. She took Georgie and the two babies together was rather a pleasing affair for Mrs. Miller and Gussie. I went to the church in the evening to carry 3 books to the library which I have got in since Sunday. I went to the Post Office and got Father Griswold's mail in which was a letter for Fanny from cousin Lydia in Canton. When I came from work, I brought home some Gum Arabic and made some mucilage. 02/15 WEDNESDAY - Pleasant this morning. It clouded up in the middle of the day and commenced snowing before night and continued during the evening. I worked as usual in the shop and came home by way of the Jeffersonian Office and got my paper. After tea, I went down to the church and stuck numbers on some of the library books making a commencement toward numbering them new with the new books expected this week. When I left the church, I went to market, to the Post Office and then home without going to class. Gussie intended to go to the Sewing Society in the evening, but on account of the storm did not. She walked over as far as Chaplain Ambler's in Montgomery Street and took an outside view as the people of the Baptist Church on Mill Plain (where he preaches) are giving him a donation party. 02/16 THURSDAY - It rained last night and this morning. There was plenty of snow and water standing on the ground. Cloudy all day, except for a short time in the P.M. when the sun shone. On my way to the shop this morning, I took Father Griswold's gallon oil can to Benedict & Nichols and ordered some oil for him. On my way home from work at night I bought a blank book at Robinson's for 35 cents in which I intend to write up the catalog of the Sunday School Library. Bell went up home today and found that Aunt Mary and Uncle Cyrus Hoyt and children were up there from Ridgefield. They came on Monday afternoon and went away Wednesday morning. Mailed a Jeffersonian this morning to George on my way to work. 02/17 FRIDAY - Pleasant and warmer. I worked as usual all day in the shop. Brother Hill sent word before dinner that the new Sunday School books had come. After tea, Gussie went down with me. She arranged the new books alphabetically and stuck labels in them in the parsonage while Burr Bradley and myself arranged the old books in the library according to the new catalog and made ready to admit the new ones. This job took us until after 10 o'clock when we left it to another time. We hope to finish tomorrow night and have the books ready to give out on Sunday. Mrs. Cocking came this afternoon and took Gussie sleigh riding up to the cemetery. She brought home the wreath from Eddie's grave stone. 02/18 SATURDAY - The severe cold weather seems to be broken up for the present at least. It thawed considerably today. I was taken with a sick headache before dinner and was compelled to leave the shop about the middle of the P.M. After tea, I went down to the church to take the new library books from the parsonage to the library in the Sunday School room, but before I accomplished it, I was compelled to stop, my sickness growing so much worse. I had to lie down in the parsonage and had a severe turn of vomiting before I could get home. Gussie has taken a head cold and is quite sick. 02/19 SUNDAY - Gussie had a high fever at midnight last night. She continued to take Aconite and broke the fever before morning. I feel very weak today myself from the severe attack of sick headache last night. I went early to church this morning and worked at the library until meeting time when George Cosier drove with me up for Mother and brought her down to church. Brother Hill preached a good sermon from Mark 10:49 in the morning. We could give out no books in Sunday School today, the new ones not yet being numbered. After the noon class, David Cosier let George (his son) go up home with Mother again. I rode up with him and he came around to my house and left me and carried Mother Griswold down to church. I did a little towards writing up my Sunday School Library Catalog in the P.M. After tea, I went up to George Cosier's with some pennies from the Sunday School collection. From there, I went over to Dr. Buckley's and consulted him about Gussie. He said she was doing well and to continue giving Aconite and Belladonna. Neither Gussie, Bell nor myself feeling very well did not go out in the evening. I sent Harper's Weekly to the Post Office by Fanny to mail to George at St. Augustine. 02/20 MONDAY - Pleasant; did not feel able to go to work. I brought the remainder of the new Sunday School books from the parsonage and put them in the library. Went down to the shop and left my checks with Burr Bradley to draw my money for me in the P.M. I looked up some of the old books which were out. In the evening, Burr and Jim Parmalee helped me label and number some of the books. We did it in the middle class room where we had a fire for the purpose. We worked at them until after 11 o'clock. I came home completely tired out; I was not able to do it. Gussie feels better today with the exception of a sore throat. Good news from General Sherman's army - he has captured Columbia, the capital of South Carolina 02/21 TUESDAY - Pleasant. A dreadful weakness across my stomach and bowels. A little exertion tires me and gives a pain across me. Have not been at work, but spent a part of the day at church (with Harriet Purdy to assist me) numbering the library books. My mouth and nose are sore; it is doubtless caused by the poison in the hats I finish. Quicksilver, which is used in the carroting the fur. It is known as the 'Hatter's Sore Mouth'. News that Charleston, South Carolina is in the possession of the Union Army and that General Sherman is marching victoriously north from that place. I brought home a quart of oysters for supper. Bell went down for Dr. Buckley to come and see Gussie and myself but he had gone to Bridgeport. (Gap in the diary; pages 189-190 missing) -this evening but they were not done. Burr Bradley helped me in the evening finish numbering the Sunday School library books. When I came home from the church, it was about 11 o'clock and all the family had retired. But I found on the table a comic picture and the written valentine accompanying it which George had sent to Edith. The picture is of himself and a comrade member of the band and it is certainly the most comical thing I ever saw. Ephraim Gregory called to see me early this morning about the fate of Lieutenant Colonel Wilcoxsan of the 17th Regiment, C.V. 02/25 SATURDAY - Pleasant this morning. On my way to the shop this morning, I bought a piece of veal, 6 lbs. (the first I have seen this season) and had it sent home to cook for Sunday. I left off work a little after 3 o'clock and went up to Robinson's for Josephine Davis' spectacles and sent them to the ticket agent, Mr. Gillette at the Bethel Depot by Ben Bassett. I called to see John Cosier at the people's Coal Yard office and showed him the comic picture that George sent to Edith for a valentine. From there, I went over to Louis Moegling's Dye Works to get some garment Gussie had left there to be dyed. It clouded over in the P.M. and began to rain before dark. After tea, I went over to Widow Wilcox to see what George had written to her concerning the death of Colonel Noble. From there I went to market and waited until the (??). 02/26 SUNDAY - It rained hard last night and this morning. It cleared off after dinner warm and pleasant. I spent nearly all the forenoon at the S.S. library sticking numbers on the shelves of the library 10-20-30 and so through to be able to tell within ten books at a glance where to put up any particular book. The new books were given for the first time this noon and gave good satisfaction. I stayed to church all day. Bell came in the P.M. Gussie did not go at all. Father called to see us after tea and I finished preparing George's last letter for publication. It gave the particulars of the death of Lieutenant Colonel Wilcoxsan and capture of wagon train and guard of 35 men about70 miles distant from St. Augustine, Florida. Also of the capture of Captain Quien, Charles Wilcox, Theo Morris and Seth Northrop at a dance about 11 miles from St. Augustine. Before meeting time, I wrote to George. Bell went to meeting in the evening and mailed the letter along with a Harper's Weekly to George. Gussie wrote to Cousin Emmaline Williams in the evening. She lives in Leavenworth, Kansas. Fanny is sick with a cold, I think. She did not go to prayer meeting last Thursday evening and stayed home from church today. It is something unusual for her. She won't tell what ails her, only a cold. 02/27 MONDAY - Pleasant. I feel better today. On my way to the shop this morning, I carried George's letter to the Jeffersonian Office for publication. The new journeyman who has for about a month worked at my left hand was off today and went away on the train. His name was Hogan. Mr. Witherspoon also finished his work at the shop and left. He has gone for a foreman to the new firm of Lacey and Sheather in the factory lately occupied by Mr. Montgomery and originally the old carriage factory. Mrs. Stone washed for us today. I went into the street in the evening and mailed a letter for Fanny Griswold and one for Gussie to Cousin Emmaline Williams at Leavenworth, Kansas. 02/28 TUESDAY - The ground was just whitened over with snow this morning. It remained cloudy all day with indications of a storm but it only occasionally spit a little snow. I have felt more like myself today and have done a pretty good day's work. I worked as late as I could at night. After tea, I went downtown and mailed a letter to Jennie Fairweather for Fanny. I called at the Jeffersonian Office a few minutes and to Harry Stone's store for the husk mat I bought there last evening and forgot to bring home while waiting for the mail, I saw Charles Anderson who was in our company in the three months service in 1861 from April to July. He has since been in for three years. His time is out and is now home on that account. He was at the taking of Fort Fisher in Wilmington, North Carolina. A very little snow this evening.




Western Connecticut State University




Purdy, Horace, 1835-1909. “Horace Purdy Journal February 1865 Entry.” Horace Purdy Journals, MS 044. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 29 Jan. 2020.

Document Viewer


Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.