Horace Purdy Journal January 1865 Entry

Dublin Core




01/01 SUNDAY - Cold but pleasant. Sleighing good. Brother Hill preached a sermon to the children in the morning from Ecclesiastes 12:1 The children sat in the square body of the church and did the singing in the place of the choir from the Golden Chair and Shower. When Sunday School was over, I came home to take care of the bay to let Gussie go to church in the P.M. After tea, Father Purdy and Mother Griswold came in to see us. I completed a letter to George before church time and with a Harper's Weekly, I mailed it on my way to prayer meeting. 01/02 MONDAY - Before breakfast, I went down and mailed a letter to Cousin Eliza Humphrey in California for Gussie. I went this early in order to have it taken in the morning mail. The day has been cold but pleasant. We had but little more than a half day's work in the shop. On my way home, I called at Charles Hull's Tin Shop and got my shot pouch in which John Cable has been putting a new spring. I took my gun and went down to Blackman's to see if I could get a silver islet put in it in which the pin which holds the barrels to the stock is inserted but could not. I then took it up to Mr. Wrights to have the new part of the stock stained and varnished. Mrs. Stone washed for us today. After supper I went down to the Post Office and carried my powder flask to have John Cable put a new snap spring on it. As I came home from work, I went before the Board of Relief, but having neglected to carry in my tax list they were prevented by law from doing anything for me. I have therefore to pay tax at $1,100.00 which a list would have avoided. 01/03 TUESDAY - A very cold morning; pleasant; the weather moderated so that it snowed in the evening. George Monroe was shopped at the Pahquioque Shop today. Hatters' Meeting in the evening over Benedict & Nichol's store. I got excused early, came out, and after the mail came, walked up West Street with John Cosier. I found Hattie Mills and Edith Newman spending the evening with Gussie. 01/04 WEDNESDAY - Another snow storm last night. It cleared off before noon. The flues in the shop wanting repairs, we adjourned in the P.M. to give them an opportunity to repair them. I went from the shop and took my gun from Mr. Wright's paint shop where it was to be varnished, and carried it over to Comstock's for repairs before having it varnished. While it was at the paint shop, one of the cocks got out of order. From there, I went to John Cosier's office and bought half cord of chestnut wood. It was sent right up and I rode on the load. Mr. Cocking paid me $3.00 for one month's rent. Mailed Jeffersonian to George. I went into the street in the evening for my Jeffersonian and saw Ezra Wildman. He insisted upon taking a sleigh ride. Captain E.E. Wildman went with us. He carried me around to my house and I gave them a drink of cider. Then we took a ride to the upper end of Main Street. The cars then came and I went to the Post Office and came home. Preaching at the church; Gussie attended. Copperhead lecture at Concert Hall this evening. Thomas H. Seymour the lecturer. 01/05 THURSDAY - I left the shop at noon and went up to Comstock's to see if my gun was repaired. It was not done. I arranged with him to leave it with John Cosier at A. G. Crosby's Coal Office and went back to the shop to work. When I left the shop at night, I went up to the Coal Office and took the gun to pieces, leaving the barrels and locks there and took the stock over to William Wright's to get it stained and varnished. Cosier paid Comstock his bill and I paid him. It was $1.50. I went to Dr. Buckley's office in the evening and borrowed a syringe to use on the baby. I went to Charles Hull's shop and got my powder flask. John Cable has been putting on a new spring. Bell went up home this P.M. Received a letter from George. 01/06 FRIDAY - It commenced raining before noon. It rained at times during the day and set in to rain steady in the evening. Our foreman V. W. Benedict went home with a sick headache at noon. Edith Newman sent the bounty check to me by Hattie Mills at the shop at noon which George sent to me enclosed in his letter. He wants the money drawn and resent to him immediately. I borrowed $10.00 of John Cosier until I can get returns from the check and in the evening, I wrote to George and enclosed a $10.00 greenback to him. I also in the evening carried my 5 gallon kerosene oil can down to Billy Wright's and ordered it filled and sent up tomorrow. On my way to Wright's, I carried Burr Bradley's meat saw home. Sold half roll of salve to Mrs. Cyrus White. 01/07 SATURDAY - Rain this morning. It began to grow cold at noon; snow in the P.M. Very blustering towards night and in the evening; thought it was pleasant in the evening. William Wright delivered the 5 gallons on oil that I engaged yesterday. I worked as long as I could see in the shop and then came home by way of Cosier's office where (after I had been over to Wright's paint shop for the stock) I put my gun together and brought it home. John shut the office and walked up with me. After tea, I went to market for Mother Griswold. Received bill for the box sent from the Postmaster. Before I retired I mended my coal riddle (sp) with brass hoops from an old hoop skirt. 01/08 SUNDAY - A cold morning, but pleasant and grew more mild through the day. An agent from the Christian Commission from the army named Powers preached for us this morning. He gave us a somewhat detailed account of the workings of the Commission with several interesting incidents, some of them quite thrilling. He being an excellent speaker made it very interesting. Sunday School prayer meeting at noon at which some arrangements were made about the Sunday School Festival to come off on Wednesday. Tickets to admit the scholars were distributed. Communion service in the P.M. Gussie went with me in the morning at came home at noon to let Bell go in the P.M. as she was to be taken into full communion with the church. After supper, Father Purdy and Mother Griswold came in to see us. A Union meeting at the 1st Congregational Church for the Christian Commission in the evening at which Mr. Powers and another man who came in with him is to speak. Gussie and Bell attended it; I stayed home and took care of Baby. Christopher Coinum (sp), a German who was in the 3 months service with me died yesterday. He had but just returned home from the Insane Retreat at Harford. His insanity was caused from working in furs and his system being filled with the quicksilver used in carroting the furs. He was buried today by the Masonic Order. Elias Sanford died this afternoon about 5 o'clock. He died of a fit while sitting in his chair. He had attended church twice today and was intending to go again this evening. 01/09 MONDAY - We rose rather late this morning. The day has been pleasant and warmer than yesterday. I retired last night with the headache, rose with it this morning, and had it all day. I worked with it until nearly 3 o'clock when they paid off and I gave up and came home. My two weeks work was $31.00 dollars. I drew $21.00 leaving to my credit $10.00, which with the $25.00 left last pay day, reduces the $60.00 dollars borrowed from Mr. Crofut to $25.00. John Cosier left the bounty check (which George sent me and which he cashed for me) in the bank to day for collection. On my way home from the shop, I called at William Wright's and paid $5.00 for the 5 gallons of kerosene oil I bought on Saturday. We had soup and milk for supper, a real treat. Teachers' meeting in the evening, but on account of headache, I did not go. 01/10 Thursday - Stormy -rain. Elias Sanford was buried today. On my way home from work at night, I called and paid John Cosier $3.25 for a .5 cord of chestnut wood delivered on last Wednesday. George Loomis's father died very suddenly today. Father bought a pair of thick leather shoes for Bell and brought them to her on his way home from work. They were too small and I changed them in the evening. He bought them at Chapman's. I paid for my Post Office box No. 300 for 6 months ending July 1st, 1865. A tea meeting or church gathering at the church in the evening to establish a sinking fund to pay the debt of over $4,000 on the church. We had a pleasant time thought the weather was stormy and on account of that, the attendance was small. Mr. Levi W. Bartram went up for Mother and Mrs. White came for Mother Griswold and Gussie. I had Bartram's team take Mother, Gussie and Mother Griswold home. We came home about 11 o'clock. Mr. Loomis' given name is Austin. He died at Lyman Keeler's with heart disease. 01/11 WEDNESDAY - Pleasant. We were limited to one dozen hats today. I finished just after dinner. I came home and sawed wood in the woodhouse. Sunday School festival at the church in the evening. Burr Bradley and I were doorkeepers. We opened about 6 o'clock. Mary Purdy came over and stayed with the baby to let Gussie go. Bell went also. The festival broke up about 9 o'clock. Mailed a Jeffersonian to George in the evening. The church caught fire around the stove pipe. A narrow escape. 01/12 THURSDAY - Pleasant. I worked as usual in the shop. Harriet Wheeler sent by me in the evening for 6 Jeffersonians. They were sold out at the Office, but I found them at A. Smith's, the news dealer at the Post Office. I went rather late to prayer meeting. I walked up West Street with Chittendon and John Cosier. 01/13 FRIDAY - Pleasant and warmer. The ice has softened and the ground has been muddy. As I came home after dinner, I borrowed Parmalee and Bradley's horse and sleigh and took Mother's sheet iron stove and pipe up home. I borrowed it to use during Gussie's sickness. When I returned to the store with the team, I altered a white cat for Fred Bradley. I then rode up home with his clerk to carry some meal to Mother to make yeast cakes of. As we returned, he drove around by my house and left me. Bell went over to Oil Mill Pond skating with Henry and Anna Heinman. Jessie Stevens' wife came over and spent the day with Gussie. She stayed to tea. Charles Hull got away with again (ed. note - by his horse; see 01/18 below) today in West Street near Dr. Ryder's. He hurt his head and shin badly, but not considered dangerous, I believe. Later - have been skating this evening and had a collision with a fellow (Ed Target) and cut a bad gash in my forehead. Henry Blair came home with me and Sarah Day bound up my head with two of her handkerchiefs as soon as I was hurt. We sent for Dr. Buckley; he came and dressed the wound about half past nine o'clock which was as soon as we could send and he come. Took two pieces of beef over to Olmstead's to be smoked in the evening. 01/14 SATURDAY - It commenced snowing between 7 and 8 o'clock this morning. My head is not so sore today as I expected it would be. It is still bandaged in the blood. Could not go to work. Cannot get a hat on my head. Bell went to the Post Office for me at noon. Gussie went into the street to do some trading and pay Jane Hoyt for making over her hat in the P.M. Mrs. Daniel Starr came home with her to see the baby. Martha Stokes and her friend Miss Dyer called here about 4 P.M. and then went up to Mother Griswold's. Bell went to the store and the Post Office in the evening. 01/15 SUNDAY - Pleasant. Father having heard of my injury came over to see me before breakfast. Bell went to church in the morning and sent brother Jennings up for Mother at noon, but she got a ride with Platt (sp) Brush and came down to my house before noon so that Brother Jennings after going up home for her came around this way and got her. Bell did not come home at noon and Gussie went in the P.M. Dr. Buckley came in the forenoon and dressed my wound. I cannot go out as I cannot get a hat on my head. In the P. M., I wrote to George and put up a Harper's Weekly for mailing to him. After tea, John Cosier came to see me. He stayed until meeting time. I sent the letter and paper to the Office by him. The Baptist preacher, Mr. Stone exchanged with Brother Hill in the P.M. , so say our folks. Clark Polley of the Kentucky Conference to preach, I believe. 01/16 MONDAY - Pleasant but cold. Mrs. Stone washed for us. Harriet, who is now staying at Mr. Townsend's came down after dinner to see me, having heard of my injuries received while skating last Friday evening. She could only stay for a few moments, she said, and would not take off her things. But as usual, she stayed between 2 or 3 hours with her things on. Mother Griswold came in while she was there. In the meantime, Mrs. Stone finished her work. I paid her her charge - 60 cents - and she went home. Baby was poorly yesterday, last night and today. Not very sick, but worrisome. He has a cold and besides, his bowels are not regular. Mother Griswold sent us down some molasses sugar, she having quite a quantity of it from a molasses keg in their cellar. I am yet unable to wear a hat and in consequence am confined in the house with my sore head. Gussie and Bell both went into the street in the evening. Gussie bought material for a baby cloak. It cost $4.75. 01/17 TUESDAY - Stormy, snow. I got Father Griswold's brush hat, which I let him have and was too small and went to the shop about 10 A.M. and took out the trimmings preparatory to finishing it over and making it larger. I went to the Jeffersonian Office and gave Ashley the particulars of my accident while skating last Friday evening so that he could mention it in his paper. I went to the shop again in the afternoon, stayed a while, and came home. Did not work on account of my sore head. Before going to the shop in the P.M., I stopped to the Factory in West Street to see Edward Target, the fellow I ran against while skating. His forehead was bruised but slightly when compared with mine. I went to the Post Office in the evening. It cleared off before I went and was colder. It snowed hard in the afternoon. 01/18 WEDNESDAY - Pleasant and cold. I went to work in the shop for the first time since I was hurt last Friday evening. James Sparks and Eugene Conkling came to work at the shop today. Both were shopped yesterday, I believe. The Baby has the scarlet rash. He has felt poorly for several days and today the rash has made its appearance. After tea, I went into the street and called at Dr. Buckley's office and got some medicine for the baby. The paper today gives an account of the capture of Fort Fisher at Wilmington, North Carolina The troops were under General Weitzel; the storming party under General Terry. What General Butler could not do, our ___(?) generals have accomplished. I mailed a Jeffersonian to George in the evening. Dwight Rogers was run away with today by Charles Hull's horse. He was not hurt, I believe. 01/19 Thursday - Pleasant in the forepart of the day, and thought by some to be the coldest morning we have had yet. Cloudy in the P. M.; the weather moderated and snowed in the evening. We gave the Baby medicine during last night and today and tonight he is better; in fact to all appearances is about as well as usual. Father Griswold came home from New York today and brought a hymn book for Bell (65 cents). Gussie went to the store in the evening and got some flannels at Gillette's in the place of what was stolen few days ago that she took there to be stamped. Bell went to prayer meeting and while both were gone I took care of the baby. 01/20 FRIDAY - It snowed considerably last night, though very quietly; it cleared off before morning and the day has been lovely though somewhat cool. I had father Griswold's old hat blocked over today and intend to finish it tomorrow and see if I can make it large enough this time. I worked as long as I could in the shop as usual. After tea, I went to the Post Office and around to Olmstead's to see if my two pieces of beef were smoked; they were not yet taken out to the smoke house. I ordered them taken out tomorrow morning. 01/21 SATURDAY - Cold this morning, but the weather moderated during the day, so that now there is a prospect of snow before morning. I finished over Father Griswold's hat today to make it larger. I got it trimmed and Daniel Manley curled it for me and I brought it home with me, feeling confident that it will fit his head and give satisfaction this time. After tea, I went over to Lockwood Olmstead's for my pieces of beef which have been there to be smoked, but they were not yet out of the smokehouse. I went from there to Burr Bradley's and left the Sunday School library key as I shall not be there myself tomorrow on account of my sore head. I then went to market and waited for the train in order to get the mail if there was any for us. I walked up with Mr. Reynolds (the one-armed soldier). 01/22 SUNDAY - Pleasant; it has thawed considerable today. I have not been at church on account of having to wear a large plaster over my eye still. Bell went all day and Gussie in the P.M. I took care of Baby. After tea, I wrote to George. Before I finished, Father came in and, as usual since the birth of the baby, stayed awhile. This time he stayed until nearly meeting time. Gussie and Bell both went to meeting in the evening. I sent a letter and a Harper's Weekly by them to the Post Office to mail to George. 01/23 MONDAY - Rain all day. I worked as usual in the shop. Pay day - I had $21.00 coming. I left five to my credit towards the $60.00 borrowed of Mr. Crofut, leaving now $20.00 his due. Being tired and the weather stormy, I did not go out in the evening. The snow has wasted fast today. 01/24 TUESDAY - Pleasant. I worked as usual until dark in the shop. Father Griswold came home on the morning train from one of his P. Elder's appointments and in the evening, I carried his hat up to him. It was a little too large this time, but I soon remedied that by putting some paper under the leather. I went to the Post Office and to Gillette & Baird's for Gussie. Paid Bell $1.20 for two week's help. 01/25 WEDNESDAY - Pleasant but cold. On my way to work this morning, I called at Gillette & Baird's for a bunch of embroidery braid which I left there last evening by mistake. I worked as long as I could see at night in the shop. Came home by way of Jeffersonian Office for my paper. I mailed one to George in the evening; sent it to the Office by Gussie who went into the street. Bell went to Singing School at the Baptist Church, so I stayed home with Baby. George Bailey's oldest daughter was married this P.M. to a Mr. George H. Hoyt, a son of the Supt. of the NY & NH Railroad at Stamford. A splendid car from that road was sent up to convey the wedding party to Stamford. It was attached to the regular afternoon passenger train from here at 4 o'clock and 20 minutes. 01/26 THURSDAY - Pleasant, but still very cold. Harriet and Louise Jones called to see Gussie this forenoon, but I being at the shop did not see Miss Jones thought I would like to have done so very much. After tea, I went over to Mr. Lockwood Olmstead's for my two pieces of beef he had been smoking for me. I brought them home and then went to market to Dr. Buckley's for some tincture of Belladonna and Aconite and to consult him about the baby for sickness to the stomach. I waited for the mail walking up with Jonathan Reynolds. I took 8 yards of tatting (spa) to Gilbert and Baird's Store for Bell and got the pay - $1.48; Gussie went over to Frank Boughton's in the evening to carry a baby cloak home. 01/27 FRIDAY - Pleasant but still very cold. D. L. Chichester was shopped today at our (the Pahquioque) shop and Jesse D. Stevens was off on account of the sore mouth which always trouble him at the shop. It is what is called 'The Hatter's Sore Mouth'. After supper, I took my hams and shoulders over to Lockwood Olmstead's to be smoked. I put it in the corn basket and pushed it on the sled. I received by the evening mail two letters and an Old diary for preservation from George. There was a letter also for Mother and one for Harriet. 01/28 SATURDAY - Pleasant but still very cold. As I came home from the shop at night, I came by way of Mr. Hanford's Boot and Shoe and Grocery Store on White Street and bought some coffee. When I got home, I found Mother there; she had spent the day. After supper, I got Mr. McDonald's horse and sleigh and carried her home. I got some milk for her at Mr. McDonald's and gave her one of the cheeks of my hog. Bell rode up home with us and back home with me. I gave Mr. McDonald 10 cents to help me harness. I then went to market for Sunday. Bell got two more letters for me today from George. 01/29 SUNDAY - Pleasant and cold, but warmer in the evening. Bell and I went to church in the morning; Gussie stayed with the baby. After Sunday school, I came home to let Gussie go in the P.M. to Sunday School Concert at the North Church. I went to church today for the first time since I got hurt while skating which was two weeks ago last Friday evening. I wrote to George in the P.M. and as I went to church in the evening mailed with the letter a Harper's and a copy of the Jeffersonian of January 1864 in which was printed a letter from him in which was a statement about Lieutenant Fred Betts ordering the body of a drowned colored marine to be rolled off the beach into the sea while the 17th Regiment was on Folly Island, South Carolina. He wanted this paper sent to him for evidence in the matter I suppose, though he says there is no difficulty about it. I also mailed an Advocate and Journal for Gussie to Cousin Eliza Humphrey in California in which was printed the death of her Father. Brother Hill preached in the evening, after which there was a short prayer meeting. Bell stayed at home in the evening to let Gussie and I go. Father came down to see us as usual after tea. 01/30 MONDAY - Pleasant and warmer; it thawed considerably in the middle of the day. Mrs. Stone washed for us today. Bell went to the Sewing Society in the evening in the company of Louise Vintz up to Brother Bartram's. David Bradley called in the evening to get a carpenter's tool called a plough that was Abel's. Harriet being away, I went up to Father Griswold's barn and got it for him. While he was here, he helped me fix the lock to my front door. He brought home Harriet's glue pot which he borrowed when he repaired my gun. Took extracts from George's letter for publication in the Jeffersonian. I did this just before retiring. The seats in the church were rented this P.M. at 1 o'clock. Mrs. Bradley and Gussie went and the same seats for Burr and me for another year. The price has been advanced $2.00 making it now $8.00. 01/31 TUESDAY - Still warmer today. Cloudy at times during the day and evening. The bursting of the Kohanza water pipe near Concert Hall completely flooded Main Street near the Wooster House this morning. In consequence, the water was shut off from that section and many of the factories that depend on the water for steam purposes had to shut up. The boiler at the Pahquioque could not be supplied with water and consequently no steam could be had to warm the trimming room and the trimmers came up into the finishing room with us and worked around the two long tables there. Just at night, however, they got the old force pump at work which draws water from the brook and will be independent of Kohanza tomorrow if it affords us no water. On my way to work this morning, I left a letter at the Jeffersonian Office for Publication from Cosmopolite (George). I went late to prayer meeting in the evening and talked with Brother Hill after meeting about gathering some new Sunday school library books.




Western Connecticut State University




Purdy, Horace, 1835-1909. “Horace Purdy Journal January 1865 Entry.” Horace Purdy Journals, MS 044. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 18 Nov. 2019.

Document Viewer


Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.