Horace Purdy Journal December 1864 Entry

Dublin Core




12/01 THURSDAY - Pleasant and mild. On my way to work this morning, I mailed a Jeffersonian to George. Henry Ryder's wife was buried today. I brought home a paper box from the shop and after tea I cut it into gun wads with John Cosier's wad cutter. I went to market, but after my return I went up to John Cosier's with his wad cutter and a part of the wads I cut. John Brush not so drunk today. 12/02 FRIDAY - But little sunshine during the day. It began to mist in the evening and at 9 o'clock, it began to rain. John Brush was around the shop all the P.M. again today, drunk as usual. Tried to borrow money of his shop mates to continue his spree but no one would lend him any. After tea, I went up to Mother Griswold's and caught a chicken and put it under a coop that I might find it to kill in the morning. I went to the Union league in the evening. 12/03 SATURDAY - I killed the chicken this morning which I caught up to Father Griswold's last night and shut up in a coop. Cloudy in the morning. Rain in the P.M. I came from work by way of Avery Raymond's and bought a pint of scallops. After supper, I went over to Mr. McDonald's to borrow his well hook to fish up the bucket in my well. Mr. Smith's hired girl broke the rope this morning and in consequence the bucket went to the bottom of the well. Mr. McDonald could not find hid hook, so I went over to Clark Hickok's and borrowed one. I went to market in the evening to buy some meat for Fanny to feed her dog with. It cleared off very pleasant in the evening. The cars did not come in until about 11 o'clock. Christian Quien, 2nd Lieutenant of the 11th Regiment came home on the train, being discharged from the service. 12/04 SUNDAY - Pleasant and warm in the morning but grew cold in the P.M. I attended church all day. Brother Hill preached a sermon to the Sunday School children in the morning. Harriet Purdy came to our house after church and stayed to tea. After tea, Father came down to see us and the baby. Miss English (our nurse) went out after tea was over. Christian Quien was to church with his wife I the P.M. I mailed a Harper's Weekly (pictorial) to George in the evening. I came directly home from the Post Office without attending prayer meeting. 12/05 MONDAY - Sunshine and clouds interspersed during the day; appearance of snow. Mrs. Stone washed for us today. I received a letter dated November 17th and a St. Augustine's paper, 'The Florida Union' today. In the letter, he acknowledged the receipt of the shirts I sent him on the 4th of November. I answered it by adding to the letter I commenced last evening and mailed it as I went to market this evening. 12/06 - TUESDAY - Cloudy and a little rain at noon, a little broken about sunset. The moon shone a little in the fore part of the evening. John Cosier sent me word last evening to call at his office this morning which I did. He wanted to see me about pork which he expected today. He said also that he received a letter from George last evening. Seeley Kellogg brought me a hind quarter of beef weighing 119 lbs. this noon at 9 one half cents, the bill being $11.30 which I paid. Borrowed Burr Bradley's meat saw and cut it up partly this evening. I expected some money or rather supposed that I could get some from him to pay for my pork. But he will not be able to let me have any. I went to market in the evening and engaged one half bushel of salt at Benedict & Nichols' to put down my pork with. Our neighbor Mr. Miller had a daughter born this morning about 7 o'clock. 12/07 WEDNESDAY - Cloudy and foggy all day with some rain. I have had a severe headache this afternoon which obliged me to come home from work sooner than I should otherwise have done. Miss English has been nearly down too with a sick headache. My pork has not yet come as I expected. David Bradley called to see me in the evening. He agreed to mend my gunstock. He also wanted to borrow $10.00 of me. 12/08 THURSDAY - Pleasant and cold. It froze hard just before night. Brought home a hat for Father Griswold which I took from to the shop to make larger. A brush hat which I damaged for a drab (sp) and colored for him. It did not fit, it not being large enough so I shall have to take it back to the shop and stretch it still larger. A little boy __ years old living with his grandmother near the shop and by name Canfield, his father living in Newtown, his mother dead, was run over or against the cars this afternoon and injured his ankle badly. At first it was supposed that his foot would have to be amputated, but finally I believe that it was ascertained that no bones were broken, but the ankle joint considerably injured, though not enough so but what Dr. Bennett thought that it would soon get well and no permanent injury ensue. Before retiring, I cut the sprouts and roots from my large turnips down cellar and put them in a barrel. 12/09 FRIDAY - Pleasant and cold, but not so windy as it was yesterday. I took the hat from Father Griswold with me again today to enlarge it. I borrowed a stretching block of Ira Morse to do it with. When I came home from work, I found Bell at our house. She stayed to tea and I sent a beefsteak to Harriet and one to Father towards paying what I borrowed from them. After tea, I went to Charles White's store to see about buying pork. I stayed downtown until the mail came in and then I came home. Mailed Herald with President's message and a Jeffersonian to George. 12/10 SATURDAY - A hard snow storm last night and this forenoon. The weather moderated towards night and the eaves were dripping at bedtime. The sleighs cut about considerably. It being the first sleighing of the season. After tea and before going to market, John Cosier called to see me about pork. The hog I expected to have of him, he was disappointed in. But he now engages me another to be butchered a week from Monday. On my way home from work tonight, I took with me a letter for Father Griswold from Rochester. 12/11 SUNDAY - Stormy and misty and fine rain. I attended church. Brother Hill preached in the morning from Zachariah 4:6. Sunday School prayer meeting at noon. Sacrament in the P.M. Brother Crawford assisted. Bell's name was read off with others to be taken into full connection at the Sacrament Service but she has not been to church today and consequently was not taken. Father came down to see us after supper just as I had put on my rubber boots to go up there. I did not go but stayed and visited with him. He took home with him a piece of fresh beef to pay for what I had borrowed of him. After he went home, Miss English wrote a letter to her brother Fred N. English and I put up a Harper's Weekly for George and went to the office and mailed both. I did not go to meeting but returned. Gussie wrote to her Essex friend Cornelia Post in the evening. 12/12 MONDAY - It cleared off very cold and windy towards morning. After breakfast, I brought water from Father Griswold's for Miss English to wash with. I stayed at home in the evening and cut up my beef and salted it down. I had one hoop put on my beef ___ which burst off just as I was about to pack the beef in it. I took it over to Baxter's immediately and had one put on. Gave Fanny a steak to take home for her breakfast. While I was at work down cellar, Edith Newman and Harriet Mills came in and spent the evening, Miss English having gone down to the store to trade and also to get a pair of corsets for Gussie. A subscription paper came around the shop today for Widow William Crofut, he having been killed on James Island, South Carolina towards two years ago. He was a member of Company D, 7th Regiment, B.F. Skinner, Captain. I gave 20 cents. I paid Mr. Crofut $5.00 for the hat I sent to Mr. Cole at St. Augustine, Florida. As he paid me $27.00 for my two weeks work, I handed him back $5.00. 12/13 TUESDAY - Pleasant in the morning and in fact, all the forenoon. The weather moderated very fast during the day. Cloudy in the P.M. and a little snow in the evening. John Cosier came to see Harriet Wheeler this morning about some wood just as I was ready to go to the shop and I walked down with him and went to John Rowan's bakery with him and selected a lard barrel to use for pork. I paid John $2.00 for it and he is to deliver it to me when he does his own. Miss English, Gussie and the baby went up to Mother Griswold's about 10 A.M. and spent the day. I went up there to tea. I paid Miss English $8.00 the balance due her up to tomorrow when I intend to discharge her. I went to the Post Office in the evening. Horace Greeley gives a lecture this evening at Concert Hall, subject 'Self Made Men'. 12/14 WEDNESDAY - I awoke and found it snowing hard; it continued all the forenoon. It cleared off after dinner and was pleasant and warm. I left the shop about 2 o'clock and hired Mr. A. Judd's horse and sleigh and got Bell to come and stay with Gussie and then carried Miss English up to home in Pembroke to her sister, Mrs. David Mansfield. Bell wanted to go to class in the evening, so I stayed with Gussie and let her go. I got Father Griswold's hat again and stretched it in the evening. It cost me $1.00 for Mr. Judd's team. Mailed a Jeffersonian to George. Bell carried it to the Post Office in the evening. 12/15 THURSDAY - Pleasant in the morning. Cloudy in the P.M. and the evening with the appearance of snow. Before going to the shop this morning, I took down the small bedstead in the bedroom and put up in the room upstairs and move our larger bed from the parlor into the bedroom again Bell assisted me. It is her first day with us. I worked as long as I could. Bought a dollar's worth of sugar and took a letter from the Post Office from George in which he gave an account of how they kept Thanksgiving in St. Augustine. I got the letter as I came home from work at night. I found Cousin Frank Boughton at our house; she stayed to tea. After tea, I answered George's letter and mailed it when I went into the street. News this P.M. by telegraph that General Sherman has taken Savannah. I did not wait for the mail in the evening as a dispatch had come in that the N. Y. train had run off the track at 85th Street and thereby our train might be detained until midnight or even later. 12/16 FRIDAY - The papers today give no definite news regarding the taking of Savannah, though it is thought that this time it is dome. It was towards midnight that last night's train came in. The day has been lowry with occasionally a little snow, particularly this evening. Monty Bailey from the 17th Regiment was in the ship this morning to see his half-brother, Edward Smith, who is an apprentice. John Cosier called at the shop in the P.M. to see if I had sold the half of a hog which I had told him I would try to do for him. I had not done so and he was glad of it for he had found a customer for it. On my way home from work, I called at the Jeffersonian Office to see if the editor B. Frank Ashley wanted a communication from George for the next week's paper. I was pretty tired after tea, and did not go into the street but split some wood fine (for kindling) in the woodhouse and brought it in the house. Fanny saw Dr. Buckley today about the baby who has a cold and Gussie who has been troubled with a stiff neck and pain running from it into her shoulder. Rather rheumatic in its symptoms. 12/17 SATURDAY - Cloudy, warm, and foggy. The sun shone a little just at night and the stars early in the evening, but they were soon concealed by the fog. Bell went up home this afternoon for a little while. Miss English called to see Gussie and the baby while Bell was up home. Before going to the shop this morning, I killed 3 chickens for Mother Griswold. She picked and dressed them and just before night brought two of them down and gave them to us. After tea, I went to the Post Office. The news of General Thomas' victory over the rebel General Hood near Nashville was confirmed in the evening papers. The morning papers gave rebel accounts of the capture of Savannah by our troops under Sherman. Stephen Holmes who wronged so many out of money and then ran off came home on the train this evening. 12/18 SUNDAY - Pleasant and warm. The snow has melted very fast today. I had the headache last night and today but I have felt better towards night. Dr. Harris, from New York I believe, preached for us all day in behalf of the missionary cause. His text in the morning was from Mark 16: 11-16. The service, including a collection at the close of the sermon was held until about 12 one half o'clock and consequently the Sunday School service was short. A collection was taken in the school for the deaf and dumb; between 7 and 8 dollars was taken. I went to the Congregational Church in the P.M. Father came down to see us after tea. I gave him 25 cents towards sawing wood for Harriet. I did not go to meeting in the evening. I sent a Harper's Weekly to the Office to be sent to George. Before retiring, I finished extracting for George's last letter for the Jeffersonian. Just before evening meeting time, Burr Bradley and wife called to see us. They wen t church when it was time. 12/19 MONDAY - Stormy a great part of the forenoon (rain), the snow wasting very fast. On my way to the shop in the morning, I left a letter from George at the Jeffersonian Office for publication. Victor W. Benedict, our foreman, who went to New York on Saturday, came home on the morning train. I spoke to John Sheather, the bookkeeper, about having $60.00 advanced to me with which to pay for my pork. I saw Mr. Crofut about it this evening and he said I could have in tomorrow. On my way home from work this evening, I bought a pair of rubbers for Bell towards what I shall pay her for helping Gussie take care of baby and do the work. They cost $1.25. Jesse D. Stevens was shopped at the Pahquioque today and took the bench next to mine on the left. Olsen Smith has bought out the newspaper business from Cowan and Swift and commenced operations in Swift's old stand in the Post Office. Just at night, a light streak appeared in the North and Northwest and in the evening, the stars shone. Before retiring, I commenced a letter to George. 12 /20 TUESDAY - Pleasant and Cold; it has thawed but little. We were turned out early this morning by the breaking of the bedstead. Mr. Crofut gave me the $60.00 today which he promised to advance to me yesterday. I came home at night by way of John Cosier's office to see if my pork came and if so to pay him for it. But it did not come. I expect it tomorrow without fail. I was very tired when I came home from work and took a nap after tea. I stayed at home and Bell wen to the Post Office in the evening. 12/21 WEDNESDAY - Stormy and snow. On my way home from work, I called at John Cosier's office to see if my pork had come. It had and I paid him for it. 303 lbs., 18 cents per pound, $54.54. I got the Jeffersonian and Father Griswold's mail and came home. I spent the evening in cutting up and packing my pork. Cosier brought the barrel (which he bought for me at Rowan's) at the same time with the pork. I finally concluded to pack the pork in my old barrel as I found it would hold it and use the new large one to pickle my hams in. It was 11 o'clock when I got through and retired. 12/22 THURSDAY - Pleasant but cold. I stayed at home and put my hams in brine, helped by the lard and prepared the sausage meat and took 6 and a half lbs. with 16 ounces for Mother Griswold down to Benedict and Nichols' market and got it ground. I paid one half cent per pound for the use of the machine. As I went down just before night to speak for the use of the machine, I took from the Office two letters from George. One was written Dec. 8th; the other Dec. 11th. There were two Cartes de Visite in each letter. They were friends of George. He sent them home for preservation. One was of his old Wardmaster Baker of ___ Hospital in Washington, D. C., Saul Barnum, a boy by the name of Wood or Wool, and a corporal I did not know. Father Griswold started for Canton this morning to see his brother Chauncey. Mr. and Mrs. Cocking called to see us about noon. They stayed but for a few minutes. 12/23 FRIDAY - The coldest morning thus far of the season. On my way to work this morning, I mailed the Jeffersonian to George. Gussie walked into the street and back this afternoon to do some shopping. Mr.Cocking was intending to take her down with his horse and sleigh, but the weather having moderated considerably and he being a little late, she started on foot. He finally came and was sorry that she walked. She bought some toys for Josie Wheeler and our baby and an apron for a Christmas present to Bell. On my way home from work, I overtook Father and I brought home with me and gave him a spare rib and some pieces to fry from my pork. After tea, I sent Bell over to Aunt Louise with some meat, the same as I gave Father. While she was gone I finished my letter to George and sent to the Office by her as soon as she returned from Aunt's. 12/24 SATURDAY - A little snow last night. Pleasant today. I worked late in the shop as usual. Jesse D. Stevens cut my hair before I left the shop. Gussie and the baby went up home this P.M., while Bell went up to her home a little while. Mary Whalen of Brooklyn came to Father Griswold's by the morning train to spend Christmas. Bell brought down a dozen eggs to bring some to tea for Mother. I bought them of her and she took the money and bought tea with it in the evening. Louise went to the store in the evening. They came home about 10 o'clock in company with Harriet and Fanny and Miss Whalen after having been to the Christmas Auctions at the 2nd Congregational Church in West Street. They brought home a handkerchief for Gussie to give to Bell for a Christmas present with the apron Gussie bought for her. They were given to her before retiring. Mary Anne Newman was married this morning to Mr. Ezra Barlow. 12/25 SUNDAY - Christmas day. Pleasant. I started early for meeting and borrowed David Cosier's horse and sleigh and went up for Mother and brought her to church. We took Harriet also. At 10 o'clock, after she had attended class, I took her home again with the same team. His son George went and drove both times. Gussie went to church in the afternoon for the first time since her confinement. Brother Hill preached from Luke 2:11 in the A.M. and from 1st Timothy 3:16 in the afternoon. After tea, Gussie and Mrs. Curtis went over to see Mrs. Miller's baby. Frank Boughton and Emma called also after tea. Bell and I went to prayer meeting in the evening. Mailed a Harper's Weekly to George. Mrs. Stephen Holmes was to church today for the first time since her husband's rascally transactions. She looked as if she had passed through the grave (if such a thing was possible). 12/26 MONDAY - Foggy; misty and a little rain. The snow has wasted very fast. Today being pay day, drew $7.00 and left to credit (towards the $60.00 I borrowed of Mr. Crofut to pay for my pork $25.00) leaving my indebtedness on the amount $35.00. After tea, Fanny came down and said that they had just received a dispatch from Canton that Uncle Chauncey was dead and would be buried on Wednesday. Gussie and I went up in the evening to talk about going to the funeral. Neither of us can go. Father Griswold is away. He went up to see Uncle last Thursday. He found him very low. He stayed with him until Friday, I believe when he was compelled to be at his appointment on his district. 12/27 TUESDAY - Foggy, misty, warm with little rain. The sleighing is used up. Eliza Mallett died this forenoon at 10 o'clock with diphtheria and typhoid fever. She had long dome millinery business for Mother in this place. The dispatch was received last night of the death of Uncle Chauncey. I sent by Mr. Swift on the morning train to intercept Father Griswold at Norwalk and give to him in order that he could go on to Canton and attend the funeral instead of coming home. Mr. Swift did the errand and Father Griswold went to Canton, we suppose. I have had rheumatism in the left breast this P.M and evening. Mother Griswold is sick. We fear the dysentery. I went for Dr. Buckley in the evening. Before going, I rubbed my spare ribs with salt and pepper to keep them as the weather is bad to keep them. 12/28 WEDNESDAY - Still lowery and warm. I carried my molasses jug to Parmalee & Bradley's as I went to the shop and ordered a gallon sent home. I had rheumatism in my breast again this forenoon after I got to work. We had but one dozen hats today. It being but a half day's work, I ate my dinner at the shop however as I had it with me and then started for home. On the way, I found David Bradley and went with him to Ely's Carpenter's shop for a piece of black walnut and some glue to mend Mr. McDonald's gun stock which I broke. I called also at Holly's hat shop, where father works to tell him of the change I made about the Jeffersonian. We are to get it hereafter of the publisher instead of the news dealer. Before going home, I went to the Office and got Father Griswold's and my own paper. I mailed one to George in the evening. David Bradley helped me mend my gun in the afternoon. At the supper table, I was taken with a strange feeling, being faint. I could eat no supper. Gussie went to the Sewing Society at Mary Moutry's in the evening. Bell went to class and I took care of Baby. I subscribed for the Jeffersonian for Father for 6 months, to be paid with money from George. Before retiring, I commenced a letter to George. Fred Shears, a boy 15 years old, a clerk in the Post Office was today arrested for breaking open letters and taking money out. For a long time suspicions had rested on the operations of this Office. Letters with money enclosed have been safely traced to this Office but were never received. Also, letters with money have been mailed here but never got to their destinations. A detective has been watching this Office for some time and today caught Fred in the act or rather traced a letter to him and he owned it together with 4 or 5 others. 12/29 THURSDAY - It rained hard during the night. Cloudy this morning with a north wind and cooler. The clouds were broken at times and at one time, a snow squall. Just before sundown, it shone a few minutes on the hills. The evening has been perfectly clear and pleasant and growing cold. When I came home from work, I found Mother at our house. Charles Starr brought her down in the morning. I got McDonald's horse and carriage and took her home after tea. Bell went up and back again with me. After I returned and took care of the team, I went into the street with Gussie. She went to the milliners with her hat and to Reed's Shoe Store and bought a pair of shoes. I took my old shot pouch down to Charles Hull's to get John Cable to put a spring in it. 12/30 FRIDAY - Pleasant in the morning. Snow squalls during the day and pleasant again in the evening. Gussie went up to Mrs. McNeil's to get some dressmaking doe in the P.M. I was very tired and did not go out in the evening. Bell went down to the Post Office when the mail arrived. I spent the evening in drawing up anew the Lemarian's book (my own), the Teachers and Scholars. David Bradley came and took away my gun to repair it for me. 12/31 SATURDAY - Stormy, snow. Limited work in the shop, though the stint is about all I can do. I have been about sick for 4 days past with a cold and rheumatism in my breast. Felt better this afternoon and I worked easier. Bell went up home this P.M. She tried to get Alfred Gregory's horse and sleigh but he would not let her have it. She did wrong to ask him without consulting with us about it. After tea, I went to the Post Office and mailed 4 letters for Harriet which Bell brought down from home. I bought me a new diary for 1865 and an album picture of a child at prayer as a New Year's present for Gussie. The cars were late coming in. After the mail was opened, I went home with David Bradley and got my gun which he has been repairing for me. I paid him 50 cents for the job.






Purdy, Horace, 1835-1909. “Horace Purdy Journal December 1864 Entry.” Horace Purdy Journals, MS 044. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 29 Jan. 2020.

Document Viewer


Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.