Horace Purdy Journal October 1864 Entry

Dublin Core




10/1 Saturday - Pleasant and cool. I went to the shop in the morning, but there being no work, I went home and helped Burr Bradley get a load out from his gun. In the afternoon, John Cosier and myself went hunting. We got 3 woodcock and 1 quail. I gave my share to him. Gussie and I went up to Nelson Nickerson's in the P.M. Gussie went with me to market in the evening. She came home leaving me to attend the caucus preparatory to the town meeting next Monday. I understand that the Copperheads' meeting last evening in Concert Hall was a small affair. The attendance was good. But the speaker (Bond) was a blackguard and produced no sound arguments to substantiate his doctrine. The speech was low slang and abuse of the administration. He uttered some of the foulest lies. For instance, saying in the face of Sherman's, Sheridan's and Grant's great victories that the army has never been successful and have not gained one single victory. 10/2 SUNDAY - Stormy. On account of the rain, I did not start for church until 11 o'clock. Brother Hill exchanged with the New Canaan minister a one armed man, Carroll by name, who preached for us. I stayed to Sunday School, which was slimly attended and then came home and wrote to George in the afternoon. I mailed it in the evening, also a Harper's Weekly. Gussie attended prayer meeting with me in the evening. 10/3 MONDAY - Town Election. No work in the shop. Mr. Cocking paid his rent (or rather his wife paid it for him) this morning. Cleaned my gun before breakfast or commenced and finished it after breakfast. I went to A. G. Crosby's Coal Office to see John Cosier. From there to the shop and then down to the courthouse and voted. Previous to going to the shop, I called at the car building shop at the Depot and got the ages of Manton Bailey and William Warren of their father. From the courthouse, I home by way of the Post Office and Swift's News Office. Father Griswold came home on the morning train and voted before going home. I took a nap after dinner and about 2 o'clock went to the shop for my pay. Walked down to the courthouse again with Burr Bradley and back up to John Cosier's office. From there home and picked some apples for Father Griswold. Just before going to the shop for my pay, Mr. Harris came with my barrel of cider and helped me in the cellar with it. I went in the evening to hear Major Haggerty speak at Concert Hall for Lincoln and Johnson and the Union. It was an excellent speech. He is young but decidedly smart. He was preceded by a _____ who accompanied him. Time after time, he brought down the house with great applause. A few Copperheads in the meeting and quite a number outside seemed disposed to make a disturbance but he was not one of that kind to be bluffed off and told them so. The result of our town election was a majority for us (Republican) of 184. James S. Taylor for First Selectman by majority. O. H. Swift for Town Clerk 178. 10/4 TUESDAY - Cloudy in the morning, but it finally came off pleasant. There being no work in the shop, I finished weeding my strawberry bed. I went downtown before dinner. Called at Parmalee and Bradley's store and while there, agreed with Haviland to go hunting in the P.M. I ate dinner and went down to Dr. Lacy's and got his dog. Met my comrade at Benedict's factory in West Street and started. We went up by Oil Mill Pond, through Terry's Woods and over to a little swamp near Granville Ambler's entrance to his land. We ran 2 rabbits in a stone wall and got them. I shot a High Hole and a Blue Jay. He shot a chipmunk. I took home rabbit and gave him the remainder. Burr Bradley and wife came in to spend the evening. She stayed with Gussie while Burr and I went to Hatters' Meeting. Burr came back home with me and then went home with his wife. 10/5 WEDNESDAY - Pleasant and warm. Gave Lieutenant Governor Averill the list of men and their ages who have come of age since entering the army in the 17th Regiment, viz. George S. Purdy, 23 years, August 13th, 1864, Mr. H. Warren, 22 years old, March 2, 1864, James S. Bailey, 23 years old, September 25, 1864, William Otis, 22 years, September 7, 1864, Theodore Morris, 21 years, October 13, 1864. Averill is to write by the first mail to Colonel Noble and get furloughs for them in possible to come home, be made freemen and vote in the coming presidential election. I came home about 11 o' clock. Walked up with John Cozier. After dinner, I finished picking beans in the garden. Hattie Gregory, a niece of Walter F. Olmstead, living neighbor to us was married this P.M at 3 o'clock at the Baptist church. She married _____. Gussie went to see them married. After which, I met her near Benedict and Nichols' store and we tried to match some oil cloth which we have but could not. After getting my papers at the Jeffersonian Office, I found some horrid mistakes in George's letter published in it. I returned to the office before they finished striking off the papers and had the errors corrected and exchanged the copies I had for some more which had been corrected. I then came home and after tea put one for George and another for his friend in St. Augustine, Mr. Arnie Allers . I also wrote a letter to George, the writing of which made me too late for class meeting. I went down in the evening and mailed the papers and letter. Called at Jeffersonian Office and showed Ashley more mistakes and laughed at him about them. Milford Ruff (sp?), an apprentice at the Pahquioque Shop who enlisted in a New Jersey regiment for 100 days returned home on a train this evening, his term of service having expired. 10/6 THURSDAY - I went to the shop this morning, expecting work, but there being none, I went up to Alden G. Crosby's Coal Office and sat a while with John Cosier. We finally concluded to go hunting. We got ready to go just before dinner, but on account of the appearance of rain, we waited until after dinner. In the meantime, we bought a wad cutter and cut a lot of wads. It continued so lowery with some fine rain that we gave up going. I left my gun at his house rather than bring it home in the rain. I came home and got 12 bushels of potatoes from Father Griswold's cellar into mine. Gussie went up to Mrs. Sanford's and to the cemetery in the forenoon. I went up for her just at night and stayed to tea. I came home with her as far as the Union Club rooms and stopped there until the cars came that I might get the news and the mail should there be any for us. The papers say that General Grant's advanced position near Richmond is strengthened. Gold went up about 3 per cent today. Smith Pulling brought me a pot of butter - 30 lbs. I not being home could not pay him. 10/7 FRIDAY - Clear and pleasant today. Had work all day in the shop. While we were drinking tea, Aunt Louisa and Mary Purdy came in. I went to the Union League in the evening. Walked home with David Bradley. Paid Smith Pulling $3.00 towards my butter bill of $15.00. 10/8 SATURDAY - Pleasant and grew cold all day. Cold as winter in the evening. Worked hard all day in the shop. The Copperheads hoisted a McClellan banner about 6 o'clock this evening. Gussie went with me to market in the evening. The evening post gives us good news of the army of the James. Butler has been attacked by the rebels but has repulsed them splendidly and drove them within their inner line of entrenchments. 10/9 SUNDAY - Pleasant in the morning. Cloudy in the P.M and evening and cold as winter. I have shook with cold all day except when close to the stove. Brother Hill preached in the morning from Acts 4:4. Sunday School prayer meeting at noon, at which Brother J. W. Nichols read to the school a letter he received from George. Sacrament in the P.M. at which Brother Crawford assisted. Martha Stevens, or rather Martha Downs, as it is now, is home on a visit with her baby and a colored servant. She was at church this morning. Mr. Cocking shot a pigeon hawk while over to Mr. Lynes' doing the chores this evening. We moved our houseplants from the piazza into the parlor just at dusk. We feared to leave them out another night on account of the cold. Mrs. Judson, Harriet Ely's mother, died. 10/10 MONDAY - Cold last night. A severe frost this morning. We finished up our work in the shop today. I got mine done at noon. There is no time set when we will have more to do. Mrs. Stone washed and cleaned our bedroom upstairs for us today. Mr. Cocking moved over to Mr. Lynes' this morning. They are to do as they did last year, hold my rooms to store their goods and live over there this winter during the absence of Mr. Lynes and family. While we were drinking tea, Harriet came in. I walked downtown with her. Called with her at Dr. Buckley's office to get some medicine. She went to Dr. Lacy's where she is now staying and I went to Societies Meeting at the church. The following trustees were elected for another year: George Starr, George Hull, E. S. Davis, Mr. S. White, Henry G. Fanton. A. N. Gilbert spoke for the union at Concert Hall. After leaving the church, I spoke with John Cosier for a few minutes at the hall. The house was filled to overflowing. We the saw Fred Jackson about going hunting tomorrow. 10/11 TUESDAY - I mailed a Harper's Weekly with two republican campaign documents to George this morning before breakfast. I went hunting with John Cosier, Fred Jackson and dog. We were gone all day. We got separated about sundown and did not get together until we met at John Cosier's. I got there first. I brought home some everlasting for Gussie to make a wreath for me. I went downtown in the evening. I came home as soon as the mail came. 10/12 WEDNESDAY - Pleasant in the morning. Cloudy after dinner and commenced raining about 4 P.M. and was raining hard when we retired. Mrs. Stone helped us clean house. We cleaned the pantry and bedrooms. I helped them all day, not leaving home until evening, when I went down to get the Jeffersonian, to market, to the Post Office and to hear Ethan Allen of New York speak for the Union in Concert Hall. I stayed but a short time, the house being too damp and cold for me not having an overcoat. I went from the Hall up to see how John Cosier stood the hunting excursion yesterday. I found him feeling first rate. Previous to going to the Hall in the evening, I called a t Dr. Lacy's to see Harriet about getting some wood for her, etc. She gave me $8.00 to get a cord of wood for her. 10/13 THURSDAY - Pleasant but windy and cool. Before breakfast, I went to the Post Office and mailed a Jeffersonian to George and called at Dr. Lacey's to get his bird dog to go hunting. The doctor having come home last night, the boy would not let him go without first seeing the doctor. And he not yet being up and I being in a hurry, did not wait. After breakfast, I took my gun and started without a dog. I went to Fish Ware, Fox Pond Hollow, Mount Tour, Long Ridge Town Mountain and home, making it about 5 o'clock when I came in. My game was 2 red squirrels, a Shide Poke, and chipmunk, the chipmunk I did not bring home. The squirrel, I gave to Mother, as I came home that way. 10/14 FRIDAY - Cooler than yesterday. I went in the forenoon to A. G. Crosby's Coal Office to see if he had any hickory wood (I wanted some for Harriet). From there, I went to the shop to see what was doing and found that they had sent a boy for me to finish a dozen brush hats. I got there ahead of the boy. The hats were not quite ready, so I went again about 3 P.M. and squared them up (they being full stiff) and cut out a dozen tips for them, ready to finish them tomorrow. Before dinner, however, I went up on Clapboard Ridge to Mr. Elwell's (sp) with Mr. Jacob Fry for a calf which he had bought. While there, I bought a bbl. Of Roxbury Russet apples for $2.25 of a man from Stony Hill, Weed by name. He had bought the apples of an orchard of Russell Hoyt I think and was gathering them. I had the pipe fitted to a stove and put it up for Harriet up home. My apples came about 5 o'clock. After tea, I went into the street, waited until the mail came and came home. 10/15 SATURDAY - Pleasant. I have had a dozen black brush hats to finish today. Mrs. Charles Brokerton called just last night to see if we had heard from the boys in the 17th Regiment. Before tea, I filled the low places between my Trope de Grand strawberries with earth. I went to market in the evening. Called a few minutes at the Republican Club Room, took a letter from the post office for Harriet and walked home with my neighbor John Green. While in the street, Henry Ely spoke of hedging their cemetery lot joining mine to give us a chance to do mine at the same time. They want to hedge theirs next week. Wallace Pine lost his child about 6 o'clock this evening. They went down to Starr's Plain to old Captain Pine's. A dog came toward the horse barking and frightened him, throwing them all out. The child struck his head upon a stone and killed him instantly. Wallace Pine is a colored man living near us. 10/16 SUNDAY - I went up home before going to church this morning to carry a letter to Harriet which I took from the post office last night and to get my lead pencil which I left there on Friday when I put up Harriet's stove. Brother Hill preached from Genesis 19:15-20. Sunday School Concert at the 1st Church in the P.M. A Mr. Pardee of New York was there. It looked so much like rain at noon that I came home and did not attend the Sunday School concert. Gussie took care of Josie in the afternoon to let Harriet go. Commenced a letter to George. After tea, went over to Bro. McDonald's to get his horse to take Gussie to the cemetery. Could not get it. He was going to use it. So I walked up alone. I found Henry Ely up there. We talked a little about hedging our lots which join. I mailed Harper's Weekly with some Republican campaign documents enclosed to George. Mr. Pardee delivered an address to their congregation in our church in the evening on Sabbath Schools. Gussie and I attended about 3 P.M. The sun came out pleasant. The evening was clear and delightful although pretty cold. I wore an overcoat in the evening for the first time this season. 10/17 MONDAY - Pleasant. After breakfast, I went up to the cemetery and dug a trench in which to set a hedge around our lot. Went up to Mr. Down's nursery with Henry and Abijah Ely to look at the evergreens for the hedge. After dinner, I went to the shop. Squared up a dozen drab brush hats for tomorrow. Got my pay and came home. I then got my stove down from Father Griswold's barn and commenced blacking it before tea. After tea, Gussie and I went downtown and bought 2 yards of oil cloth 2 yards wide for $2.25 per yard. We then came home and before retiring I finished blacking the sitting room stove and drew the tacks from the sitting room carpet preparatory to cleaning tomorrow. Father and Harriet both received letters from George today, but none for me. 10/18 TUESDAY - Pleasant and warmer today. I had the 1 one half dozen brush hats to finish today, $3.00 per dozen. I burned one which cost me. Mrs. Stone cleaned house for us today, the sitting room and the sink room. I helped her shake carpet at noon. When I came home from work about 6 o'clock, the whole neighborhood was out looking for Josie Wheeler who was lost. I immediately went searching myself. A general alarm was given by ringing the bells. He was finally found at the lower end of Main Street. Butler G. Noble, ex-governor of Wisconsin spoke for the Union at Concert Hall this evening. I went in to the street and into the Hall for a few minutes but could not stay of account of nailing down carpet and putting up a stove which I have just completed at 10 one half o'clock. Before retiring, I finished a letter to George. 10/19 WEDNESDAY - Before breakfast I went down and mailed my letter to George. After breakfast, I helped Gussie move her plants from the parlor to the sitting room. Before we finished doing it, Harriet Mills called to see us. I then called at the shop, but there being nothing to do, I went down to see if Fred Jackson would go hunting with me. He could not go, but lent me his dog. I went over to Mill Plain Swamp, to Miry Brook and to Benjamin Norris' and engaged a cord of hardwood for Harriet. I came home by way of Mill Plain and Edward Hull's to see if I could buy some apples, but could not. Bell came down while we were drinking tea to have me to go up and fix Harriet's curtains. I went down to Jackson's to take Milo home and then went up. It took me until nearly 10 o'clock to put them up. James Birdsell, being intoxicated, tried to drive his horse and wagon across the railroad bridge just below the old crib (sp) shop and was run over by the freight train going down this evening. His horse was knocked down between the ties and suspended to the timbers by portion of the harness, but was finally extricated without serious injury. I believe the man had his leg badly mangled and was otherwise injured. Dr. Bennett amputated his leg. 10/20 THURSDAY - Worked all day in the shop on 1 one half dozen drab brush hats. About 5 P.M., the bells began to ring. We at the shop supposed it to be a fire, but soon learned that it was for another victory by Phil Sheridan in the Shenandoah Valley. We captured 43 guns, one major-general and several thousand prisoners. We had one general killed, three others wounded. The 'Evening Post' gave the particulars. The cannon was fired about 9 o'clock in the evening in honor of the victory. I mailed the Jeffersonian and New York Daily Tribune to George. I tried to get a Post, but could not. At the Republican Clubroom, I saw Henry Ely and paid him $2.00 for Arbor Vitae trees for hedging around my cemetery lot which joins his. A load of soil was also included in the $2.00. The man who had a leg amputated last night it is thought cannot live. 10/21 FRIDAY - James Birdsell died last night or this morning from the effects of the amputation of his leg and other injuries received at the time of the accident. I went to the shop this morning, but there being no work, I went hunting. I went down to get Fred Jackson to go with me but he had just gone in company with a schoolmate. I got Dr. Lacey's old dog, Major, and hurried on to find Fred but did not. I was gone all day and got 2 quail and a robin. I went to the depot in the evening and met Mother Griswold. She has been up in Hartford County on a visit. John Cosier, who has been away for a week came home on the train this evening also. Later - John Cosier came home from his visit on the freight train Wednesday P.M. instead of this evening. 10/22 SATURDAY - No work in the shop. In the forenoon, I borrowed Mr. Lyne's horse which Robert Cocking drove into town and rode up to the cemetery to see the new hedge around our lot. After dinner, I walked up, borrowed a wheelbarrow and shovel of Mr. Day and took the dirt off our lot which was left there after setting our hedge. Gussie went over to Daniel Starr's and in the meantime and about the time I came home, Harriet Purdy came down and wanted more Belladonna and Aconite medicine. I was alarmed when she said that Mother had taken all that she took from us the other day as it was the liquid medicine from which we put only 4 or 5 drops into a half tumbler of water. I suppose there was about 30 drops of it which she put in a half glass of water. There was about the same of each Aconite and Belladonna. But instead of hurting Mother, it did her good as she is much better than usual today. Gussie went with me to market in the evening. We made a fire in our sitting room stove for the first time this evening. 10/23 SUNDAY - Pleasant in the morning, cloudy in the P.M. Brother Hill being sick, I understood that Mr. Robertson, Pastor of the 2nd Congregational Church, would preach for us in the morning, so accordingly, I went for the first tome and heard Brother Hawley at the Episcopal Church. I went to our Sunday School as usual, and there learned that Chaplain Ambler preached for us instead of Robertson. Robertson preached for us in the P.M. and I went to the Baptist church and heard Mr. Stone. George Bell and bride were there. Bell came to our house to tea. She went with us to prayer meeting in the evening and went home in company with Mr. Squire's folks. As I went to prayer meeting, I mailed a copy of Harper's Weekly to George. It had very much the appearance of rain when we retired. 10/24 MONDAY - I went to the shop in the morning, but there being no work, I went up to A.G. Crosby's Coal Office and sat awhile with him and John Cosier. John and I arranged to go hunting in the P.M. I went down to Mr. Jackson's to get his dog, but Fred had just gone hunting himself. I arranged to have the dog whenever I want him if they are not using him. He wishes me to use him as often as I can in order to train the dog. On my way home at noon to prepare to go hunting, I found Dr. Lacey's dog (Major). He followed me and I was glad to have him do so. We went over to Fish Ware and Mill Plain Swamp. We came across Henry Rider with his gun. We all three hunted together. Rider got 2 woodcocks. Cosier got 2 woodcocks and I, one woodcock and a quail. Rider wanted the quail for his wife who is sick, so I exchanged with him my quail for a woodcock. Cosier gave me his two and I gave Mother Purdy 2 and Mother Griswold 2. It rained a little before we got in. After tea, I went home and carried two woodcock for Mother, while Gussie gave the other two to her mother. 10/25 TUESDAY - Cloudy in the morning with every appearance of a storm. But after dinner, it came off beautiful. I went to the shop in the morning, expecting work but had none. I came up to Alden G. Crosby's Coal Office and finally arranged to go hunting in the P.M. with John Cosier. Crosby found me ammunition if I would give him what birds I shot. Before going, however, I arranged with Mr. McDonald and Crawford for a horse and saddle to ride in the procession tomorrow at the mass meeting. I had Old Major, Dr. Lacey's dog. I shot a quail and a woodcock and gave them to Mr. Crosby in the evening. I received 4 letters from George by the morning mail. He has been detailed from his company for a musician in a Regimental Brass Band. In the evening, I went to the Union Club Room, and to an extra session of the Union League. Before retiring, I wrote a hasty letter to George. 10/26 WEDNESDAY - A great Union Mass Meeting. The day has been beautiful. I rode Mr. McDonald's horse in the cavalcade. The speaker's stand was built on the old Fairgrounds near the cemetery. The speakers were Col. M. Depew, General Gault of Arkansas and Colonel Noble of the 11th Regiment. The procession was about two miles long. After the speaking was over I assisted to load chairs and settees and take down the arch over the entrance to the Fairgrounds. I was in consequence late home to my tea. Father came down in the evening and brought us a chicken and then went to hear the speaking at Concert Hall. I went up to the Jeffersonian Office for my paper and returned and spent the evening at home. I mailed a letter to George early this morning, also one for Gussie to Bloomfield. The procession was as follows: in the cavalcade of horsemen 250, of which 26 were ladies wagons, 305, whole number of horses, 633. 10/27 THURSDAY - Copperhead mass meeting. The speakers were ______________________. Their cavalcade numbered 66 of which 10 were ladies. Whole number of wagons 238. The day has been cloudy and a little cool. Avery Raymond brought me a barrel of apples, greenings priced at $2.25. At the same time, he took Father Griswold's cider barrel to fill for him. Fred Dunning wanted me to hunting with him, so about 2 o'clock we started. We saw but little game and shot none but the dog pointed on one quail and caught it in the grass before in could fly up. It was dark when we got home. I went into the street in the evening and mailed a Jeffersonian with some campaign documents enclosed to George. I called at the Club Room and at Swift's News Office to wait for the train which was quite late. There has been a Republican Mass Meeting today at Bridgeport, and I learned this evening since the arrival of the train that it was a success and a grand affair. The Copperheads are holding forth this evening at Concert Hall and are applauding with great earnestness expressions like the following. This is a wicked, unholy and infamous war and never should have existed. 10/28 FRIDAY - Stormy, no work in the shop. Bought a hat for George's friend, the postmaster at St. Augustine, Mr. George Cole, price, $5.00. I sent it by mail; the postage was 78 cents, weighing 13 ounces at 6 cents per ounce. I put it in a band box. I wrote a letter in the evening to Mr. Cole about the hat and enclosed the bill - $5.78. I wrote to George also, stating that I had mailed the hat to Mr. Cole. Fanny came home on the freight train this evening from Hartford County. She brought me 2 dozen of Griswold's Salve. 10/29 SATURDAY - No work on the shop. I went hunting in the afternoon with John Cosier. We went up by Philo Wildman's and nearly to Neversink Pond. We came home down through Tamarack Woods and by the cemetery. I got 4 quail, John got nothing. I gave the birds to Alden Crosby for the powder and shot he bought for me for that purpose. I had Mr. F. G. Jackson's dog, 'Milo'. Gussie went with me to market and to take Milo home in the evening. While we were hunting, it rained for a while and we got pretty wet. 10/30 SUNDAY - Brother Hill preached in the morning. Harriet attended Methodist meeting in the forenoon to tell me to get a team if I could and come for Mother at noon and take her to church. I got Thomas Lyon's horse and did so. A Mr. Buckley, who has been preaching at the 1st Church preached for us in the P.M. Lt. Colonel Moegling of the 11th Connecticut Volunteers was buried from the 1st Congregational at 2 P.M. I did not go out in the evening, retired early. We have had sunshine and clouds during the day, but no rain. A special train from Norwalk bringing Norwalk Military Company and Masons to Mr. Moegling's funeral. 10/31 MONDAY - Pleasant. I have had work all day in the shop. I worked as long as I could see and longer too to finish off my dozen and get out of the way of the other men as these are to be numbers for the blocks tomorrow. Mrs. Stone did three weeks' washing for us today, she not being able to come last week as usual on account of her being sick. They have been making Freemen at the Courthouse today. I brought home an old paper box from the shop and cut into gun wads after tea. I went to market for Mother Griswold in the evening and called at the clubroom to hear the evening news. The news is that the official news of the Pennsylvania soldiers' vote is 12,000 for the Republicans. The horse trainer has been here today. He gave a public exhibition in the street.






Purdy, Horace, 1835-1909. “Horace Purdy Journal October 1864 Entry.” Horace Purdy Journals, MS 044. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 18 Nov. 2019.

Document Viewer


Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.