Horace Purdy Journal September 1864 Entry

Dublin Core




9/1 Wednesday - I rose and wrote a letter to George before breakfast. I mailed it with a New York Times and went to the Depot to see Charles and Henry Hinman. Louise Jones and Harriet went off on the train, Louise to New York City and Harriet to Stamford. When the train left, I came home to breakfast. I made over the walk from Father Griswold's back door to the barn and the went downtown to the Post Office and got a letter from Charles Parsons with his pictures and a dollar enclosed for the pictures of his brother Phil which I sent to him. We took dinner up to Father Griswold's. After dinner, I went downtown and waited for the freight train in order that I could get some peaches which Parmelee and Bradley effected. They came and I bought one half a crate containing 18 to 20 quarts. The Catholics are having a picnic at Redding today. I wrote an answer to Charles Parsons' letter before tea and while Gussie was away on a walk to the cemetery. Just before retiring, I mailed my letter to Charles Parsons, went to Couch's Picture Gallery to engage him to take Mrs. Davis' boys picture tomorrow. I was at the cars when they came in and Charles and Henry Hinman returned home having been rejected by the surgeon at Bridgeport. Mike Ryan, George Blissard, and John Pollett were rejected also. Mrs. McDonald raised from 5 to 7 cents a quart for milk this morning. Frank Boughton returned the $6.00 I borrowed for her of Alden G. Crosby. 9/2 FRIDAY - No work. Pleasant and warm. After breakfast, I wrote to George about the rejection of the Hinman boys. About 10 o'clock, I borrowed Dr. Buckley's horse and went up for Mother and brought her down to spend the day with us. After dinner, I helped pare and halve peaches for canning. I mailed the letter to George and went to the shop and drew George Davis' money for his wife as he has enlisted in the navy. After tea, I got Parmalee and Bradley's team and carried Mother up home. Gussie and I went with Mrs. Davis to Couch's in the evening to get her pictures to send by James S. Taylor to George on board the North Carolina at the navy yard in Brooklyn. We waited until the cars came to see Mr. Taylor about sending a small parcel to George Davis. James Leuning (sp), William Hickok and others who were accepted yesterday at Bridgeport as volunteers and sent to camp in New Haven came home this evening in uniform on furlough until next Tuesday. As we came home in the evening we found Gussie's cousin, Miss Williams from Kansas up to Mother Griswold's. She came by the evening train. 9/3 SATURDAY - Pleasant. I worked in the shop until after 3 o'clock. Gussie finished putting her peaches in cans today. Atlanta has fallen and is now in the hands of General Sherman and his noble army. After the papers came and the news was read, the bells were rung and the cannon fired. Flags were hoisted and there was a rejoicing time generally. After I came home from work, I gathered my beets and put them in the cellar in order to make room for a strawberry bed. Before tea, I killed a chicken over to Mrs. Davis'. She gave it to me. I offered to pay her but she would not take anything. After tea, Gussie and I went to market. The cars being late, she went home and I stayed to wait for the mail. The train came a little after 9 o'clock. The news of the capture of Atlanta was fully confirmed. Just before retiring, Mr. Cocking brought a glass of beer down to me. 9/4 SUNDAY - Cloudy and rain in the P.M. Gussie did not attend church. Brother Hill preached in the morning from Acts 12:12. In the P.M. from John 2:24. I walked home from church with John Cosier under his umbrella. Talked to the Sunday School at noon. I took a nap after tea. No service in our church in the evening on account of a sermon by Starr Hoyt Nichols to the Young Men's Christian Association in the 1st Congregational Church. I went down about 7 o'clock and mailed letters for Mrs. George Davis. 9/5 MONDAY - Stormy. No work in the shop. I had calculated to work in my garden and set out a strawberry bed, but on account of the storm could not. I went down to Charles Hull's Tin Shop and make some pistol bullets. I came near putting out my eyes by wetting the molds to cool them and then before they were dry pouring in the melted lead which splattered and flew into my face blistering my eyelid a little. The first number of the War Record was sent to me for another year which I had not subscribed for on account of not feeling able to do so and not because I did not like the paper. On the contrary, I like it very much. I ordered it sent back to the publishers again. In the afternoon, I went to the shop for my pay for the last two weeks' work. Went to Sanford's Wood Sawing establishment and got a piece of hickory for a ramrod for Mr. McDonald's gun which I am keeping for him. I shaved it down in Robert Sayer's Undertaking Shop and then came home and finished it off which took me all the afternoon. I retired with the sick headache after which Mr. Cocking returned from the Post Office with two letters for me from George. He acknowledged the receipt of the hat and watch which I sent him on the 16th of August. The Letters were written the 16th and 23rd and postmarked August 27th. News by the evening paper of the capture of the rebel [Raider] Georgia, a pirate. 9/6 TUESDAY - Stormy this morning. John Cosier came up for a gallon of vinegar before I got up. I rose with the headache again. My fingers which I cut yesterday with a wire on my umbrella being pretty sore, I concluded not to go to the shop. After breakfast, I copied some extracts from George's two letters for the Jeffersonian and carried them to Ashley. I waited for the mail which was rather late and then came home to dinner. I went over to McDonald's to repair Emaline Williams' trunk lock after dinner. I went into the street and got short iron, nails straps and buckles and just about made over new her trunk by working nearly all afternoon on it. I went to the depot in the evening to meet cousin Lieut. Charles C. Parsons and wife if they should come as we somewhat expect them. But they did not come. Went to the Post Office and while there listened to Rev. Mr. Shepard talk as he has just returned from the front of our army at Petersburg. I walked up home with Mr. Cocking. Brought a letter for Father Griswold from Canton. Stayed up there a short time to visit with Cousin Emaline. The celebrated Guerilla John Morgan who was formerly captured and broke jail has been killed and his staff captured. So says the Evening Post. A letter in the office from Harriet from George which I remailed to her in Stamford where she is visiting. Commenced a letter to George in the evening. 9/7 WEDNESDAY - Pleasant. I had work nearly all day in the shop. Before tea, I finished gathering my vegetables on the place where I want to set out strawberry plants. I got my first Jeffersonian from the printing office on my new subscription for one year. In the evening I went to the depot and got a through ticket to Cleveland by the Erie route of Mr. Williams, the ticket agent, for Cousin Emaline Williams who goes tomorrow morning. Fred Vintz cut his foot badly today. 9/8 THURSDAY - Cousin Emaline Williams left on the morning train for Kansas. Had work in the shop until early night. There was a rainbow circle around the sun just after dinner, a thing which I never saw before or heard of either. It was a circle the same as usual, except that it contained all the colors of the rainbow. Brother Woodruff was at Father Griswold's with George Starr when I came home from work. Cloudy in the P.M. I finished my letter to George and mailed it in the evening with a Harper's Weekly and two Jeffersonians. One back number with the piece in it that George wrote of how the 17th Regt. spent the 4th of July at St. Augustine and the last number. I went to the depot to see if Charles Parsons and lady came. From there, I went to the Post Office and then to prayer meeting. Brother Woodruff was there. The evening post gives us news of the French in Mexico being whipped. When I came home, it was clear and cool with prospects of a frost. 9/9 FRIDAY - Rain early this morning. Cloudy during the day a little broken between 3 and 4 o'clock with an occasional ray of sunshine. After I finished my shop work, I came home and spaded garden to put out strawberry plants. I spaded about half the patch and put out two rows of plants. Gussie went up to Mother Purdy's in the P.M. and was late getting home. A balloon was seen (I saw it) between 6 and 7 o'clock this evening in a northeast direction. I went to the Post Office in the evening. and returned as soon as the mail was opened as I was very tired. 9/10 SATURDAY - pleasant and warmer than before since September came in. I had work in the shop until the middle of the P.M. On the way home, I bought 4 lbs. of excellent coffee of Parmalee and Bradley, the last he had of the kind, and I was desirous of securing it for fear of not being able to get any more of the kind. As soon as I got home, I went immediately back again to Hull's Tin Shop to have a new bottom put into our tea kettle and a top with a lid on our old fruit can. When I returned, I spaded a little more ground and put out two rows more of the Russel Prolific strawberry plants. While we were drinking tea, Aunt Louisa and Mary came in. Gussie went with me downtown to market and to the Post Office in the evening. A soldier who lost one hand at Fort Jackson and Fort St. Philip at the time General Butler took New Orleans came to the shop today soliciting assistance to go to his home somewhere on the North River. I gave him 25 cents. 9/11 SUNDAY - Stormy. I went with Gussie down to the church and then went to Barnum's Hotel to see what arrangements had been made for the Ridgefield Military Company to get dinner, they being here to bury the remains of Captain White, Company I, 10th Regt. Connecticut Volunteers, as if there were no arrangements made to feed them, I was going to ask our friend Rockwell who is a member of the company home with us to dinner. They were to take dinner at the hotel. Mr. Tweedy not having a load, I went down to Long Ridge with him where the religious part of the service was conducted at the Methodist church by Mr. Clark of Georgetown, a protestant Methodist. He preached an excellent sermon from Job 14:14 'If a man die shall he live again. As soon as the service was over, we drove home as soon as possible not waiting for the procession as it was raining in torrents. The service at the church was at 11 o' clock. We arrive home a little before 2 o'clock. I went to the sacrament in the P.M. Brother Woodruff assisted in administering it. He preached in the morning but I, being at Long Ridge, did not hear him. The procession passed up Main Street just after the services in the church were over. I heard the three volleys fired over the soldier's grave at 3 one half o'clock as I was writing at home. Though his house was on Long Ridge, he was buried in our cemetery. After tea, I took a nap until evening meeting time. The meeting was one of thanksgiving in accordance with President Lincoln's proclamation. The three congregations united in our church. The meeting was one of great interest. Remarks were made by the several clergy with occasional prayers and singing by the choir. Brother Woodruff made the last speech which was a good one after his peculiar style. It brought down the house by way of intense interest and laughter. The exercises were closed by the congregation joining the choir in singing 'The Star Spangled Banner'. 9/12 MONDAY - Cloudy nearly all day. It cleared off in the evening or just before night. I had one dozen cheap hats to finish which I did before noon. Received three packages of old letters by from George by mail. After dinner, I cut off each end of Fanny's flower stand to make it small enough to go in their bay window. I then went over to George Starr's for a board with which to make a work bench for Gussie. Mrs. Stone washed for us today. I went to the depot with Bell in the evening to meet Harriet as we expected her form Stamford, but she did not come. 9/13 TUESDAY - Pleasant but a little cool for the season. After breakfast, I took my gun and started for Starr's Plain where I found David Bradley as I expected. We went on Moses Mountain and there and on the way home we spent nearly all day. The game I brought home was as follows: 1 rabbit, 1partridge, 2 pigeons, 2 robins and 2 chipmunks. I was very tired at night. We dressed the game before tea. After tea, I went to the Post Office. Mr. Cocking had a load of wood come today. Charlie, the boy who works for Mr. Lynes with Robert came in the evening and wheeled the wood to the woodhouse and piled it up. 9/14 WEDNESDAY - Pleasant and warmer than yesterday. I finished digging my strawberry ground as far as I could on account of the tomatoes and put out three rows of Poor House seedlings. I pulled up my squash vines and all the corn stalks that had no corn on them and gave them to McDonald. I then went down to the Post Office and came home to dinner. We had Father and Mother Griswold with us to eat a wild game pot pie. I cleaned my gun before breakfast. It is just one year ago this morning since Eddie died. No, I made a mistake a year ago tomorrow. I was thinking today was the fifteenth. Before tea, I wrote to George and put up a Harper's Pictorial with a Jeffersonian and last weeks' Danbury Times with the historical sketches of St. Augustine in it sent by Montgomery Bailey. I attended class in the evening. Brother Hill led it. After class, I walked up with John Cosier and called to see David Bradley to see how he stood the hunt yesterday and to see if he could go again tomorrow. I stayed about an hour and talked. When I came home Gussie had retired. It clouded up about 6 o'clock and sprinkled a little as it did during the evening. Moses Baxter, who went away to avoid the draft I see is at home today. He doubtless had word sent to him that our quota was filled and that there would be no draft. If the American people were all like him and his father the country would be destroyed before it would be defended. They will not only not fight themselves but will prevent others from doing so if they can and are continually condemning the administration for putting down an armed rebellion by force of arms. 9/15 THURSDAY - Eddie died one year ago this morning at a quarter past three o'clock. I t has been pleasant today. I took up and put in pots Gussie's house plants. Repaired Father Griswold's wheelbarrow. Nailed a strap in Mother Griswold's trunk. It was then noon. After dinner I took my gun and went over to Fish Ware and Mill Plain swamp to hunt for pigeons. I wounded one and could not find him in the swamp and shot at another but the distance was so great I did not kill him. It was dark when I got home. After tea, I went to market and to the Post Office. 9/16 FRIDAY - I have had work all day in the shop. I came home about sundown and found the house locked and Gussie away. I had a fire and boiled tea before she came. She was up home. I scolded some for coming home and finding the house fastened and no one to get supper when I had worked so hard all day and was tired. Mr. Swift occupies his new store for the first time this evening with his newspapers. I attended the Union League before I came home. 9/17 SATURDAY - Had work in the shop until noon. After dinner, I took my guns and started to find David Bradley according to last evening's agreement and found him in company with Hart Purdy and Robert Raymond in Hull's Orchard near the old Isaac Levine place down the road leading to Fox Pond Hollow. From there, we went over near the old David Ambler farm and down across the flat meadows to the edge of Mill Plain Swamp on Granville Amblers Fish Ware land. We came home by way of Terry's Woods and Oil Mill Pond. Gussie went with me to market in the evening. Mr. and Mrs. Cocking, who have been staying out to Mr. Lyne's all the week came home in the evening. Mother Griswold and Fanny started for Bloomfield this morning. A Democratic mass meeting in Norwalk this morning. Harriet came home from New York this morning. 9/18 SUNDAY - Gussie's birthday - 28 years old. The sun shone brightly in the forenoon. Fling clouds and wind in the P.M. I attended church all day. Gussie did not. Brother Hill preached. Text in the morning _______. In the P.M. Colossians 1:17, Isaiah 11:2. After Sunday School, I took Thomas Lyons' team and went up for Mother and brought her to church. She walked home. Just as Brother Hill commenced his sermon in the P.M., Aaron Morehouse's wife was taken faint. He was obliged to leave church with her. After tea, I took a nap until nearly evening Meeting time. We both attended. Just before going, Bell and a little Squires' girl who lives just this side came bringing two letters from Harriet to mail. Gussie had news this evening that Marianne Underhill, an old schoolmate and chum of hers at Amenia School was dead with two of her children also with dysentery. She lived near Gaylordsville on the Housatonic River road. 9/19 MONDAY - Pleasant. I had work in the shop until about 3 one half o'clock. David Mills appeared to me in the shop this forenoon. He came from Bethel on the train. He arrived home on Saturday evening. When I finished work, I went to the Depot to see him off. Carrie came up with him and Harriet returned with them. I went to Austin's store and drew $2.50 the same being my traveling expenses to and from Bridgeport to have my name stricken from the rolls. James S. Taylor, the first selectman left the papers and money there to be paid to all such as myself who went down to Bridgeport for that purpose and had their names taken off. Paid to John Cosier the balance of my seat rent for this year. - $3.00 Reverend Mr. Shepherd, the Universalist minister gave a lecture or rather his experience of what he saw on a visit to our army under General Grant in front of Petersburg and Richmond., Va. Gussie attended with me. After his lecture a collection was taken up for the benefit of the Sanitary Commission. Also he presented a book to take one dollar subscription which is to be circulated throughout the country to buy a house for General Grant as a token of the country's appreciation of his service to the country. It was 10 one half o'clock when we arrived home. 9/20 TUESDAY - Had work in the shop until the middle of the P.M. I then came home by way of Burr Bradley's with him and drank some new cider which he had just got. The shop was called in the forenoon to raise the price on the Round Crown or Smith Block. We got 2 cents extra on soft hats and 3 cents on stiff rims. Mr. John Cosier called before tea to engage a gallon of vinegar for Lucius Wildman. I agreed to let him have it. Gussie went with me to market in the evening. I received a letter from George, the first since he was ordered to join his regiment. He is now with them at Picolata. The evening papers state that a heavy but successful battle had been fought by General Sheridan in the Shenandoah Valley. Also that rebels in Canada have seized small steamers on Lake Erie. I put down my name to give $1.00 toward buying a house for General Grant. 9/21 WEDNESDAY - Pleasant. I had work until noon in the shop. I came home to dinner and ate with Mrs. Jesse D. Stevens and her mother. Jesse's wife was spending the day with Gussie. While we were eating dinner, the commenced firing 34 guns in honor of the late victory by General Sheridan in the Shenandoah Valley. The bells were rung also. I went on to Ives Hill after dinner where they were having the salute and went with them to help put up the gun. (Mrs. Lanford who was with us to dinner came in just before dinner having been over to the Sand Hill for some scouring sand). I called at Tweedy Brothers and then came home and got out a piece of hickory for a ramrod in McDonald's gun, the other one which I made being rather small. Between 4 and 5 o'clock, I went out into the street to get my Jeffersonian and met John Cosier who wanted me to go hunting with him a short time over west a short distance which I did. We went over as far as Granville Ambler's land on the edge of Mill Pond Swamp and returned without seeing anything to shoot at. We arrive home after dark. I drank my tea and started for class meeting but so much of the evening was taken up with finding a daily paper to send to George and mailing it together with the Harper's Weekly and Jeffersonian that I did not go but attended the Union League which kept me out until 10 one half o'clock. I sent the daily paper in order that George might read the news of Sheridan's victory at Winchester. Mr. James Fowler brought us but 1 one half lbs. of butter this week instead of two as usual and notified us that he could bring us butter but once more. 9/22 THURSDAY - Cloudy all day. I had work in the shop until noon. I ate my dinner which I had with me and came home by way of Alden G. Crosby's coal office and paid him the $6.00 I had borrowed of him some time ago for Frank Boughton to pay her interest with. When I got home I finished the ramrod to McDonald's gun, it being the second one I made, the first being too small. Wallace Hyatt, one of the boys at the shop, climbed the flagstaff on the shop this morning to put in some new halyards. The flag was then run up and kept flying during the day. After tea, I wrote a letter to George and intended to mail it in the evening, but before mailing it, I concluded to wait for the evening mail to see if another letter came from him and sure enough there was one. While reading it in the post office, there was an alarm of fire. It was a linty (sp) on the rear of Heurie's (sp) Tobacco Store. For a few minutes prior to the arrival of the hose, there was every prospect of a large fire. But the hose soon extinguished the flames. I having just previous to the fire bought some scallops for breakfast, I took them and came home. Before retiring, I answered the letter from George just received and enclosed the letter I wrote before going to market. 9/23 FRIDAY - Cloudy with some mist in the P.M. Had work all day in the shop. I collected money in the shop for powder to fire on the first occasion we have such as a victory or the capture of Richmond. Before breakfast went down and mailed the letter to George which I wrote last night. I attended the Union League in the evening. Came home about 10 one half o'clock. 9/24 SATURDAY - Cloudy and rain between 3 and 4 o'clock P.M. A thunder shower about an hour after. I had work in the shop until after dinner. On my way home I called at Louis Moegling's (sp) dying establishment to see what it would cost to get the field of our flag at the factory dyed as it has become so faded that it is not respectable. I came home and commenced making out a letter for George for publication in the Jeffersonian from his last two letters. Gussie went with me to market in the evening. We did our marketing and she came home while I stayed for the mail. I did a little collecting of money with which to buy powder for salutes in our Union Gun. The new Union Club room was to be opened in the evening, but for some reason was not. Further good news from General Sheridan. He continues to whip the rebel General Early very severely. Upon receipt of the news, bells were rung and the cannon fired. 9/25 SUNDAY - Pleasant and cooler. I attended church all day. Gussie came down to Sunday School and afternoon meeting. Brother Hill exchanged with Mr. Stone the Baptist I the P.M. Mr. Stone preached from Luke 23:42-43. Before and after supper, I finished copying from George's letter for publication in the Jeffersonian. I then finished also the letter I commenced writing to him this morning. I mailed also in the evening with the letter, The Harper's weekly and Friday's Tribune. Also a comic picture of Lincoln, Little Mac, General Grant, Richmond, and Weldon R. Road. There being prospects of frost, we gathered what few dwarf pears there were remaining in the trees, a dozen perhaps. In the letter to George, I requested that he send me a list of the names of those in his Company who are 21 years old but who have not been made freemen, on account of coming of age since entering the army. There are measures being made to get them home to vote for president in November. Just before meeting time, Gussie and I went over to Burr Bradley's and went from there to prayer meeting with him and his wife. We got their card pictures. 9/26 MONDAY - Pleasant. My work in the shop lasted until about 2 one half o'clock. I came home by way of the Jeffersonian and left a letter from George for publication. He thinks it cannot be printed this week as the paper is full of matter for this issue. I bought one pound of shot on my way home to go hunting tomorrow with Burr Bradley. I picked beans before tea to save them from the frost. I got the one half dozen Army and Navy Dictionaries at Swift's News Office in the evening and mailed them to George. At the same time, I wrote a letter with pencil and mailed to him, stating the price of the dictionaries. After which I went to the Union meeting in Concert Hall to organize a Union Campaign Club. I was organized in due form making John Tinely (sp) president. We had speaking from Rev. Mr. Shepard and Chaplain Ambler. Also the song 'Rally Round the Flag, Boys' led by Mr. Jackson. The meeting was well attended and enthusiastic. I carried cartes de visite of Gussie and myself to the shop and gave them to Burr Bradley in exchange for theirs received last night. 9/27 TUESDAY - I rose about 5 o'clock and found it raining hard and with that gave up the idea of hunting with Burr Bradley and went back to bed as I was in no hurry having no work in the shop. I lay half an hour and then got up again, but found it pleasant, the rain being but a little shower passing over. I then hurried as fast as possible about breakfast, but Burr came before it was ready. I ate such as was ready and started with Burr. We went over to Jacob Fry's. He had promised to carry us over to Pine Mountain with his team. He not being ready, we went on and followed the stream from E. Hull's up to Fish Ware looking for ducks. While I was hunting partridge, Burr saw three ducks, but did not get a shot. Mr. Fry overtook us on the Miry Brook road just beyond Fish Ware. We rode up the old Spruce Mountain Road by Thomas Smith's and then hunted around crossing over to Pine Mountain, paying a visit to the U.S. Coast Surveyors. From there we hunted the woods down coming out in the vicinity of Starr's Plain Pond. We then went on the mountain the other side of the road up to Hawley Branson's farm over Moses Mountain across by Charles Starr's wood and home. My game was one partridge, one pigeon, one chipmunk, and a Brown Thrasher. We arrive home at 2 o'clock. At 5 P.M., went down to see the Lincoln and Johnson banner flying to the breeze. Speeches were made by John Tweedy, Silas Ferrel and Mr. H. Francis. Having a severe headache and feeling lame after my tramp, I came home and retired early, feeling quite used up. Harriet Purdy left a letter here for Gussie from Eliza Humphrey in California. Gussie being out with me to the banner raising, she put the letter in at the window beside the casing some way, how we could not imagine. This morning, while Burr Bradley was waiting for me to eat breakfast, Sarah Purdy came in to tell me that George wished her to tell me that the Regiment had received their instrument for a Regimental Brass Band. He wanted me to have it inserted in his letter for the Jeffersonian. 9/28 WEDNESDAY - Had work until noon at the shop. A subscription came to the Copperheads at the shop this morning for a McClellan banner to match and without doubt will excel ours for Lincoln and Johnson. We had the game I shot yesterday for dinner today. A little rain about 2 P.M. It soon stopped and then Burr Bradley as he promised at the shop came along with his gun and we took a little stroll to Oil Mill Pond, Terry's Woods, Fish Ware and Mill Plain Swamp, across to Thomas Lyons, from there across in the rear of the old Captain Fairchild Ambler's estate, up toward Edward Mack's, the old Benjamin Ambler orchard opposite the Levine(sp) place, the across to Charles Starr's woods and home arriving about 6 o'clock with 2 High holes and a chipmunk, which I gave to Burr. I then dressed, took tea, went up to the Jeffersonian Office for my paper and one to send to George, which I immediately mailed with a New York Times of today. I then went to class, had a good meeting, after which I went to the grocery store for some things, to the Post Office, and for the first time visited our Union Club rooms over Harvey's new store, 3rd floor. I put my name down as one of the club. Sat a few minutes and walked up home with John Green and Rev. Mr. Shepard. 9/29 THURSDAY - Stormy in the forenoon, but pleasant in the P.M. I worked all day I the shop. Frank Cornwall's (colored) house on Turner Street fell down over his head this morning about 6 o'clock. It stood on a side hill and fell for want of proper underpinning. I went to hear Henry C. Demming of Hartford speak in Concert hall in the evening upon the issues of the day. He arrived by the cars in the evening and in consequence was late in commencing his speech. I got home at 10 o'clock. Demming was the late colonel of the 12th Regiment, Connecticut Volunteers. 9/30 FRIDAY - Stormy again in the morning, but some sunshine in the P.M. and pleasant in the evening. I had work all day in the shop. Gussie spent the afternoon up to my fathers. T. H. Bond of New Haven spoke to the Copperheads in Concert Hall in the evening. They made considerable display by escorting their speaker from the cars to the Hall with a band of music. I went to the Union League in the evening. Father Griswold was initiated with a large number of others. Fido was close to his heels all the time.






Purdy, Horace, 1835-1909. “Horace Purdy Journal September 1864 Entry.” Horace Purdy Journals, MS 044. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 22 Jan. 2020.

Document Viewer


Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.