Horace Purdy Journal July 1864 Entry

Dublin Core




7/1 FRIDAY - Appearance of rain in the morning, but it came off pleasant and warm in the middle of the day. I woke in the morning with a severe pain in my bowels. I went down to see Dr. Bulkley, but he was not in his office. The pain increasing and to all appearances growing worse, I called on Dr. Skiff. He gave me some medicine and after the mail came in, I came home and went to bed. I could eat nothing for dinner. The pain seemed to increase in the P.M. After tea, Gussie and Hattie Mills went down to Dr. Skiff. After they had gone, Bro. Hill, who had been making a call at Father Griswold's, came down to see me. Being in somewhat of a hurry, his call was a short one. He prayed with me and then left to join a friend who was with him at Father Griswold's. He called him Bro. Whitney from New Canaan, one of his old church members. After Gussie returned, Mr. Wing, who had called at Father Griswold's on business pertaining to his clothes dryers, called to see me also. As soon as he left, which was after 9 o'clock, Dr. Skiff came. I was somewhat afraid of inflammation of the bowels. He changed his medicine and promised to call on the following morning. (It is now Saturday morning that I am writing this, I was not able to write yesterday). 7/2 SATURDAY - I suffered considerable pain last night. Could not sleep until after midnight when I fell asleep. I woke in the morning feeling easy, the pain having all subsided, but my bowels feeling sore. Dr. Skiff called about 10 o'clock as he was going to Dr. Hawley's to the next door. He left me some phosphorus for my cough. I paid him $1.00 for last night's attendance. Harriet Purdy came down before dinner and stayed until about 4 P.M. After dinner, or rather, in the middle of the afternoon, I went over to McDonald's Blacksmith Shop and made an iron thing to put top of bullets under the rod to press them home in loading my revolver. We had tea a little earlier than usual to enable Harriet Mills to take the train to go home to Bethel to spend the Fourth. After tea, I weeded out my strawberry bed. Gussie not feeling well, I went to Dr. Buckley's and got some medicine for her. I waited until nearly 10 o'clock for the mail and then came home. After I got home, I heard the locomotive blow. I then went back to the Post Office, but there was no mail matter for any of our folks. As this was only why I went back, I had the walk for nothing. 7/3 SUNDAY - Pleasant and warm. Gussie, not feeling well, did not attend church. Mr. and Mrs. Powel and daughter came last night to Father Griswold's and attended church in the morning. After Sunday School, I came home and returned to church with Mr. Powel; the other folks did not attend. Fanny was waiting for him at the church door, but her seat being full, he sat with me. Bro. Hill preached all day. Bro. Crawford opened with prayer and scripture reading in the P.M. Text in the morning - Eph. 2:4-5-6, in the P.M. -John 8:36; it was in part, if not entirely, a Fourth of July sermon. He dwelt considerably on the nation, the war, and the anniversary of our independence. By invitation, we went up home and took dinner with the company. After tea, Mr. Powel and I took a walk around Father Griswold's and my premises. I went to prayer meeting in the evening with the Company, Gussie staying at home with her mother. 7/4 MONDAY - Pleasant. The firing woke me at 4 o'clock. I got up and fired at a target with my revolver a few times. I went down and mailed a letter and Waverly to George before breakfast. After breakfast, I went down again to market for Fanny. As soon as the women got their morning work done, Mr. and Mrs. Powel and daughter, Harriet Wheeler, Gussie and I went up to the cemetery. On our return home, I took from the Office 4 letters and 5 bundles of Florida papers. The Ancient City, printed at St. Augustine. They were back numbers which he wants preserved. We took dinner up to Father Griswold's. After dinner, I took a nap and then Robert Cocking and I went up by Father Griswold's barn to practice target shooting again with my revolver. But previous to doing so, I went down to the baker's for some bread. After tea, we all took a walk (Father Griswold included) up West Street to Gallows Hill and around by Mallory's shop into River Street and up New street to West and home. I went to the Post Office myself previous to coming home. Harriet Mills came up on the evening train from Bethel. She spent the evening upstairs with Mrs. Cocking. Gussie and I went up into the cupola of Father Griswold's house with the company to see what little fireworks there was. 7/5 TUESDAY - Pleasant and warm. Mrs. Stone could not work for us today, one of her children being sick. Our neighbor, Mrs. Curtis done it for us. I went downtown in the morning to see if I could get my winter's coal put in today, but could not; they were too busy. I waited until the cars came to get the mail. I took out two letters for Frank Boughton and took them over to her house. She being at the shop, I left them with her mother. After dinner, I went to look for a team to take us on Mount Four. Mr. Powel went home this morning. I went to the cars with him. Gussie went up to Mr. Bartram's in the P.M. with Mrs. Powel and daughter, Frank and Harriet. Before tea, I wrote to George in answer to the 4 letters received yesterday. Hattie Mills and I got our supper of bread and milk. I went to the depot when the cars came in to see Beatty about his double team to go to Mount Four tomorrow P.M. I saw John Sharp, his driver and engaged it at $4.00 for the afternoon. I then went up to Thomas Fowler's store and paid him for a gallon of molasses which he sent me this P.M. - $1.20. I then went to the Post Office. News by the evening papers is that the rebel pirate Alabama has been sunk. I attended Hatters' Meeting in Benedict and Nichols' Hall in the evening. It was the semi-annual meeting and the election of officers. It was quite late when I got home. Before retiring, I prepared some items from George's letters for the Jeffersonian. 7/6 WEDNESDAY - Pleasant and warm. I carried some extracts form George's letters to the Jeffersonian for publication as I went to the shop in the morning. Before breakfast, I set out some cauliflower plants for Father Griswold and myself. In the afternoon, I went with our folks and Brooklyn friends to Mount Four. We had Beatty's double team. While up there, I cut a new pole and replaced the one George put up in 1861. Father Griswold, Fanny, Harriet, Louisa, Hattie Mills, Mrs. Powel and daughter and myself. Bro. Hill, our preacher, saw the flag from mother's and started across the fields in a straight line for the place. He arrived while we had gone down to the spring to take our refreshments. I found him on the peak waiting for us when I returned for the horses. While turning round to come down the pole strap broke. Bro. Hill assisted me to repair damages. He rode home with us. When we arrived home, Father Griswold and Mother Griswold and Gussie drove up to the cemetery. When he returned, I drove the team up to the depot and paid John Sharp $4.00 for the team. I did my marketing. 7/7 THURSDAY - Hot and muggy. It commenced raining about 11 o'clock. I came home to dinner without an umbrella. I felt too much exhausted to return. I lay down on the lounge until 3 o'clock. I then got up and fixed the hinges to the pantry door and did some writing. Hattie Mills did not come home to dinner on account of the rain. I wrote to George before tea, giving an account of our trip to Mt. Four. I went to the store in the evening and bought $6.00 worth of sugar, $3.00 crushed , 9 lbs., $3.00 of a coffee sugar and 10 one half lbs. I mailed a letter to George and went into prayer meeting a few minutes before it closed. 7/8 FRIDAY - Showery in the morning. It came off pleasant and warm in the middle of the day. I have felt better and have done much more work than before in over a week. Had soup and milk for supper, after which Robert and I went to market and to the Post Office together. When we returned, I found Gussie and Hattie Mills gone away. Probably gone to find a boarding place for Hattie as it is not convenient for us to keep her longer. 7/9 SATURDAY - Pleasant and warm. Mike Kelly woke me this morning, shaking the door for Robert Cocking, my tenant. He was after him to help get hay. We were limited in our work today at the shop on account of the facer's getting behind with their work. I finished my work about 4 o'clock. I went to the Jeffersonian Office to get a copy of the Jeffersonian printed in June, 1863 with the memorial of Ireneus P. Woodman of Co. C, 17th Regt., Connecticut Volunteers who died at Brookes Station, Va. My 19, 1863 of a wound in the breast received at the battle of Chancellorsville fought 17 days previous to his death. I found in June 3 a card from his father in reference to his death. Also a memorium in an issue of March 2nd, 1864 taken from the Connecticut War record. These Mr. Ashley gave to me for George as it was for him that I was getting them to send to Bell Conrad in Stratford. I had been home but a short while when Burr Bradley, according to an agreement before he left the shop, came to go to the pond with me to bathe. We went over to Oil Mill. Just as we were dressing, two of our shopmates came also, Mr. Rousseau and James Sparks. After tea, I fixed a fastener to one the upstairs blinds and hoed in my garden a little. After which, I went down to market and b ought a piece of meat for Sunday. Gussie and Hattie Mills spent the evening in trying to find a boarding place for Hattie. They did not succeed. 7/10 SUNDAY - Pleasant and warm. Gussie and I attended church in the morning. Brother Hill preached from Hebrews 2:17. After the Sunday School Prayer Meeting, Gussie went home. I stayed to the communion in the P.M. Clark Hoyt's child was baptized. After tea, Gussie and I went up to the cemetery with a bouquet for Eddie's grave. I borrowed a pitcher of water at Mr. Days to fill the vases with. Mailed a letter to George and two Jeffersonians with card and memorium in them on the death of Ireneus P. Woodman to Isabella Conrad at Stratford by request of George. Being tired after our walk, we did not go to meeting in the evening. Hattie Mills feels badly that she must get another boarding place as we have notified her that it will not be convenient for us to keep her longer. She cried over it this morning. 7/11 MONDAY - A shower last night. Pleasant and warm today. We were limited in our work at the shop, having only 2 dozen to finish. Mrs. Stone worked for us today. Hattie Mill's engaged board this morning at Henry Fosters, but tonight they had changed their minds and concluded not to take any boarders. Hattie felt bad and cried about it. Bro. Hills' mother called at Father Griswold's and to our house in the evening. I walked down home with her on my way to Teachers' Meeting. On my way to the shop this morning, I called at Dr. Bulkley's office and left word with him to come and see Fanny who is sick with the Dysentery. In Sunday School, the propriety of a Sunday School picnic was considered. Definite action on it was deferred for one month. 7/12 TUESDAY - Pleasant and warm. Another small shower last night. Before breakfast, I repaired by coal bin a little preparatory to putting in my coal. A ton of soft coal came before night. Gussie made her currant jelly and ironed. She was taken very sick with bilious colic about 3 o'clock P.M. When I came home, I found the doctor (Bulkley) there prescribing for her. Mother Griswold and Hattie Wheeler got my tea. Mother Griswold and Hattie Mills cleared the table and washed the dishes. I set out some cabbage plants between the hills of my early potatoes and then went to market. The great rebel raid into Maryland threatening Washington and Baltimore which has cut telegraph lines and stopped railroad trains, etc. The news from the tonight is a little more favorable for us. Telegraph communications are again resumed and railroad trains from Washington to Baltimore are again running regular. Excitement throughout the country runs high but things this evening by the papers seem a little more quiet. On my way back to work this noon, I mailed a Waverly to George. On my way to the shop this noon, I left 3 nice ripe tomatoes at the Jeffersonian Office for the Editor (B. Frank Ashley). They are the first ripe ones in this vicinity. He is to give Mr. Cocking a puff on the in the paper tomorrow. 7/13 WEDNESDAY - Pleasant and warm. Hattie Mills got up and prepared breakfast this morning and let Gussie get up when she got ready. She got up in time to sit at the table with us, however. She is about well with the exception of feeling pretty weak. Received a letter from Henry Mead saying that for some unforeseen circumstances, their visit would be for the present deferred. While we were at tea, Edith Newman came in to tell Hattie Mills that she had got a boarding place with her. I walked down to class with Edith. 7/14 THURSDAY - Wrote to Henry C. Mead before breakfast in reply to his stating that the visit would be deferred for the present. I sent it to the Office by Nathaniel Cable to have it go in the morning mail. The day has been pleasant and warm. I worked very hard in the shop and was pretty much used up at night. After tea, I went to market to get my breakfast and to Dr. Buckley's office for some medicine for Gussie for bilious colic. He not being in, I got the medicine from his son William who happened to be there. 7/15 FRIDAY - Pleasant and warm. Cool nights and heavy dews. I pulled weeds in my garden a little while before breakfast. Worked hard and late at the shop. On my way to dinner, I took home from the Post Office a roll of paper and 5 sheets both upon which was written sketches of historical facts relating to the early settling of Florida. Frank Boughton was with us to tea, after which, she and Gussie wen to the Post Office which enabled me to stay at home in the evening. I paid Alden G. Crosby $15.00 towards coal as I was coming home to dinner. 7/16 SATURDAY - Pleasant . I pulled weeds in my garden before breakfast. We were limited in our work to 2 dozen today. After I got up my work, I finished a damaged hat and got it trimmed but it was too small for me. I brought it home and will sell it to some boy perhaps. After tea, I went to the Jeffersonian Office with sketches of the settlement of St. Augustine, Florida to see about getting them printed. Harriet Purdy was with us to dinner and stayed nearly all the afternoon with Gussie. 7/17 SUNDAY - Pleasant ' hot ' dry and dusty. Brother Hill being away to Middletown, a man by name Willard from Colorado, a presiding elder in this section, soliciting funds to help build a church at Denver in that state preached for us. He preached two excellent sermons. In the morning, form Hebrews 2:17, the same text Brother Hill preached from last Sabbath. In the P.M., 1st Timothy 6:12, the first clause of the verse. Collections were taken at both services for his benefit or rather the benefit of his people. Brother J. W. Nichols went up for Mother at noon and carried her to and from church in the P.M. After tea, I wrote to George about the historical sketches of St. Augustine, Florida, which he wanted printed in pamphlet form for sale down there. I took a nap until meeting time, then went down and mailed a Waverly to George and attended prayer meeting. 7/18 MONDAY - Dry and warm, no prospect of rain. Nothing unusual that I know today. I worked hard all day until 7 o'clock P.M. After tea, I ate a few currants from the bushes and then went to market and to the Post Office. The evening papers give a rumor that General Sherman has taken Atlanta, Ga. I was the last man out of the shop tonight and locked the door. Took the key over to Harry Stone's for Hiram. When I returned from market in the evening, Mr. Thompson, who lives in Mr. Gregory's little blue just south of us a little distance, came over to see if any of us wanted some French Turnip plants. I went over and got some and set them out and watered them before I retired. 7/20 WEDNESDAY - Still hot and dry. We were limited I our work at the shop, having but 2 dozen. But it lasted me until about 5 o'clock nevertheless. I did not go to class in the (evening) on account of getting and setting out more turnip plants. It was nearly 9 o'clock before I finished transplanting and watering. Gussie and I went out in the street to do some trading and got home at 9 o'clock. 7/21 THURSDAY - The third anniversary of the Battle of Bull Run. Warm, but considerable wind. Cooler in the evening. We were limited in our work in the shop today, only 1 dozen. I finished it off before dinner. John Bussing then cut my hair for me. I ate my diner (which I carried for the first (time) in a long time on account of Gussie being up to my folks to spend the day) and on my way home called at A. G. Crosby's Coal Office and talked a while with him and John Cosier. When I got home, I changed my clothes, went back downtown and paid Dr. Bulkley for a visit to (my) wife a short time ago. He had another charge against me which I disputed and he did not insist upon it. I then went up home and spent the remainder of the P.M. and stayed to tea. I brought home my drawing knife which I found in a rusty condition. Went to market and to the Post Office in the evening. I got 3 letters from George. There was three more in the box from him to Mother, Harriet and Bell. The New York Times gives an account of an interview in Canada opposite Niagara between rebel commissioners and Horace Greely relative to an adjustment to our National Struggle, the war. Also of one between Rev. Col. Jacques and another man sent by President Lincoln to Richmond and Jefferson Davis, the rebel president. Gussie wrote to Cousin Eliza in California. 7/22 FRIDAY - Yesterday's account of the interview between Horace Greely and rebels in Canada concerning a settlement of our national troubles was greatly exaggerated. I shot Mother Griswold's black cat this morning by her request. Her crime was catching chickens. On my way to the shop this morning, I called on Ashley at the Jeffersonian Office to see about a letter he received from George last evening. I carried my dinner to the shop again today. We were limited in our work at the shop, but it was enough to last me all day. I mailed a New York Times and a Tribune to George in the evening. Hattie Wheeler came down a while in the evening. Edith Newman sent me a letter she received from George for me to take some extracts from for the Jeffersonian. There was a picture in it for me. Answered George's letters before retiring. 7/23 SATURDAY - Cold this morning. Dry and dusty still. Before breakfast, I went down and mailed a letter to George and brought home a piece of corned beef for dinner. We had but 1 dozen hats at the shop. I finished before dinner. After dinner, I took a nap and the fixed our clothes wringer which was broken. I finished up the afternoon work by cleaning off and trimming the edges of the walk in front of the house. After tea, Aunt Louise, Frank and Emma called to get a few currants. Mr. Cocking carried 6 quarts of tomatoes to the Wooster House. I walked down with him. While waiting for the mail, a fellow came and spoke to me calling may name, but I could not recognize him until he gave his name. It was Moses Wheeler of Company C, 17th Regt., in the same Company with George. He is home on furlough. He came from Hilton Head. He has been detached for a clerk to some officer at the place. 7/24 SUNDAY - Morning dry and smoky. Homer B. Barnum of the Co A, 11th Regt. Was buried from the Disciples' Church this forenoon. Captain Henry Hall of Company F, 8th Regt. was buried from our church this P.M. He as well as Barnum of the 11th Regt. was killed by a sharpshooter in the rifle pits in front of Petersburg. Brother Mc Kinney brought Mother to church this morning and up to our house at noon. After Sunday School, I borrowed David Cosier's team and went for her again to attend Captain Hall's funeral. Father was there, so I rode down with her. Mr. Mootry died about 11 O'clock last night. A collection was taken this forenoon to raise $350.00. I gave $1.00. I left Harriet at the house this noon when I came for Mother. I expected to find her when we came home in the P.M., but she was gone. Gussie attended church all day. We were too tired to go in the evening and stayed home. 7/25 MONDAY - Rain. When I rose this morning, I found the cat had treed a rat on one of the evergreens in the yard. I got the gun and shot it. I bought a one half bbl. of flour this morning of Crofut for $7.75. We had one dozen hats to finish at the shop. I went back after dinner to finish them off. We were paid off in the P.M. On my way home, I paid my poll tax to the collector, Charles Crosby - $1.80. He had a military tax of $1.00 against me, but I thought it should be abated on account of having served the required time by law in the state militia. We concluded to let it go unpaid for the present until he found out something definite in regard to it. I paid 3 cents to Dr. Brown for a letter overnight that someone had directed and sent to George. I spent the evening in taking extracts from George's letters for publication. 7/26 TUESDAY - The sun shone this morning, but there have been some fling clouds all day and at time the sun was obscured from sight with the appearance of rain. We had but little work in the shop today. I finished mine before dinner. I attended the funeral of Thomas Mootry at 2 o'clock at his late residence. From there, I carried an item up to B. Frank Ashley for publication in the Jeffersonian. It was the resignation of a 1st Lieutenant in Company G, 17th Regt. C.V. sent from one of George's letters. I called at Scofield's Dry Goods Store and paid Aaron Mallet's tax to Charles Crosby, the collector - $6.60. I went to market in the evening. Mrs. Cocking is sick and had Dr. Bulkley today. 7/27 WEDNESDAY - Eddie Vintz, youngest brother to Louisa, who was adopted at his mother's death to a German family named Davis died this morning at nearly 4 years old about 4 o'clock with the croup. I did what there was to do at the shop by 10 o'clock and came home by way of A. G. Crosby's Coal Office, agent for the Danbury Coal Company, and ordered my winter's coal to be brought today. I brought home a small iron from the shop belonging to John Morris to let Gussie try it at ironing her clothes. Bell came down in the P.M. and wanted Gussie to go with her to select some paper curtains for Mother. She could not go on account of staying with Mrs. Cocking who is sick so I went down with her. We bought 4. I gave her 10 cents to help get her some a little nicer. My coal came in the P.M. - 4 tons. I bought 2 Jeffersonians for George and sent them as follows: one to Bell Conrad at Stratford and one to Cornelia Smith at North Pitcher, Chenango County, New York and put his name in pencil under his piece headed 'An Evening in St. Augustine' as he directed me to do. I gave John Cosier $40.00 in the evening on my coal bill to the Danbury Coal Company to be credited to me under date of tomorrow the 28th. I attended class in the evening. Clark Hoyt's and ours went together in the middle classroom and were led by a New York man named Sudlow. We had a good meeting. The room was full. Mother was down. Some of the friends with their team brought her down as she is not able to walk so far. 7/28 THURSDAY - Pleasant and warm. I went to the shop in the morning expecting work but the hats were not ready and could have nothing to do today. I came up to A. G. Crosby's coal office and talked awhile with [??] and John Crosier. I waited until the train came in and then got the mail for Father Griswold (I not having any) and came home. I fixed the eave trough to my sink room roof before dinner. I took a nap after dinner. While lying in the lounge, Hart Purdy came in to have me take the gun and take a ramble with him. I did so; we went over toward Mr. Lynes and then over to Oil Mill Pond and we shot at a few birds and at a muskrat and brought nothing home. We got home about 4 o'clock. I then copied a letter of George's for publication in the Jeffersonian. Gussie attended the funeral of Louise Vintz's brother who was adopted by Mr. Davis, a German. Mrs. Feeks called after tea. I went into the street in the evening, bought a beefsteak for breakfast, went to the Post Office and came home. Before tea, I gave my borrowed gun a good cleaning and put it away. The gun belongs to Mr. Montgomery, brother-in-law to Mr. McDonald. 7/29 FRIDAY - Pleasant and pretty warm. On my way to the shop this morning, I left Cosmopolite's letter at the Jeffersonian's office for publication in next week's issue. It was an account of how the Regt spent the 4th of July in St. Augustine. I took the extracts of his letters and arranged them by his request. We had heavy CG hats at the shop and I got tired out before night. Harry Ledger told me how to make a grease for my iron. I bought the tallow and beeswax on my way home to make it. I went to market in the evening. Took a letter from the Post Office for Father Griswold from Rev. Joseph Henson, now at Hilton for the Christian Commission. The letter was in reply to one from Father Griswold about his taking the chaplaincy of the 71th Regt., C.V. John Morris caught a turtle at Mill Pain Pond while eeling last night which weighed 61 pounds. 7/30 SATURDAY - Very warm. The thermometer stood 84 in the shade at 5 P.M. There was a town meeting held at 2 o'clock to raise an injunction previously laid to prevent paying out money previously appropriated for the procuration of volunteers, etc. The meeting being illegal on account of there being but 4 days' notice given when there should have been 30 days, nothing was done. I finished my work about 3 one half o'clock. Went to market in the evening. News by the evening post that the rebels are in Penn. and are advancing in 3 columns. Grant has also been successful near Richmond. Charles Parsons, 1st Lieutenant, Regular Army, came to Father Griswold's in the evening from West Point. He is on his way to Hartford to drill the militia officers of this state at the Officers' drill commencing next Tuesday and ending Friday. He is Professor of Ethics at the Military Academy, having been assigned to that duty instead of the filed on account of lameness caused by varicose veins in his legs. He is sick; he says he was overcome by the great heat. 7/31 SUNDAY - Pleasant and very warm. Cousin Charlie Parsons is feeling poorly this morning, being sick to his stomach, did not eat anything at breakfast. Fanny came down for my lantern to let down in their well in their cellar thinking that their new kitten which they brought home last evening and put in the cellar had got into it. I went up and lowered the lantern but no cat was there. I then looked behind some rubbish and found him hid away. I attended church in the morning and sat in the choir. Gussie stayed at home with Charlie Parson and let her folks go, he not feeling able to go himself. Union Sunday School concert in the P.M. at the 1st Congregational Church. I came home after Sunday School and stayed in the P.M. with Gussie and Cousin Charlie. We had dinner up there with them by taking our piece of roast lamb up there. After the meal, Charlie came home with us to see our premises. I added a few lines to the letter I was writing to George and sealed it. I also put up A Saturday's Tribune and Evening Post and mailed with the letter in the evening. Instead of going to prayer meeting, I went down to see John Sharp and engage him to come for Cousin Charlie in the morning and take him to the train. I then came home and spent the remainder of the evening with Charles Parsons. We gave him our card pictures to take home with him.






Purdy, Horace, 1835-1909. “Horace Purdy Journal July 1864 Entry.” Horace Purdy Journals, MS 044. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 29 Jan. 2020.

Document Viewer


Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.