Horace Purdy Journal April 1864 Entry

Dublin Core




4/1 FRIDAY - Cloudy, but no rain. On my way to the shop this morning, I drew from the Savings Bank $40.00 to make out with what I had on hand $66.00 to pay Aaron Mallett interest on $1,100.00. He called just after dinner for the money. John Boughton and Frank were with us to tea and spent the evening. I finished my letter to George and mailed it together with a pocket dictionary and the Waverly in the evening. John went down with me. When we returned, we had walnuts, cider and apples. We had great sport with John trying to see how much he would eat. After eating more walnuts than any other two, he ate an apple and two pieces of pie. They stayed until 11 o'clock. 4/2 SATURDAY - Stormy still - about half snow in the evening. I worked until dark at the shop. After tea, I went to market. I called a few moments at the Republican Caucus in the basement of Concert Hall. Mr. and Mrs. Cocking spent the evening with us. 4/3 SUNDAY - Stormy in the morning. A little broken with some sunshine in the middle of the day. Father Griswold preached in the morning from John 12-26. Brother Crawford preached in the P.M. from Matthew 20:19. He was personal in his remarks, referring indirectly about Edith Newman leaving the choir inferring that she was the only party implicated in the difficulty of Melodeon playing. William Stevens, John Cosier and myself talked over the matter of taking up a purse for Edith. I got $1 from Mr. Chittendon towards it; making now already raised $13.00. After tea, I went up home to see Mother. Aunt Louise, John and Frank Boughton were up there. I brought home my dictionary when I came. Gussie and I went to church in the evening. Mr. Coe preached in our church to the Young Men's Christian Association from Romans 14:7. 4/4 MONDAY - Election Day - a glorious victory for the Union 227 majority in this town. I worked in the forenoon around home trimming trees, etc. I went down and voted before noon. After dinner, I went to the shop. It took me all the P.M. to get up my Saturday's work. I dug my parsnips before tea. Gussie weighed out the 10 lbs. of butter which we bought some time ago with Father Griswold and brought it down home. Mother went down to the artist this P.M. and had some pictures taken. Mr. Donald sent Fred Vintz up with his horse and carriage for her. I went into the street in the evening and engaged Beatty to come for Mother Griswold tomorrow morning for the cars. I went to market and came home. Robert Sayers gave me $1.00 today towards the purse to be given to Edith Newman. Paid to the Secretary of Trade (Mr. Witherspoon) 2 months Hatters' funeral taxes 50 cents and 3 months dues 30 cents. 4/5 TUESDAY - Cloudy with the appearance of rain, but not a drop. The stars shone a little in the evening. I burned the rubbish in my garden before breakfast. I worked as usual in the shop. On my way home from work, I called on Edward Allen and got 50 cents towards the purse to be given to Edith Newman. John Cosier, Gussie and myself called there on our way up to present the purse to Edith and they (Allen and wife) went up with us. We spent a little time in singing when John Cosier stepped forward and presented her with the purse in a few brief and appropriate remarks. She was completely taken by surprise. It nearly overcame her. It was with great difficulty that she could control her feelings. The amount given her as $33.00, contributed as follows: John Cosier $5.00, Mr. W. Stevens $5.00, George Starr $5.00, Henry Fanton $5.00, Edward Davis 50 cents, A. McDonald $2.00, P. Starr $8.00, Mr. White 50 cents, Morgan Chittendon, $1.00, Robert Sayers $1.00, Edward Barnum $1.00, Jessie D. Stevens 50 cents, Mr. Lyon 50 cents, J. Clark Beers 50 cents, Edward Allen 50 cents, Rundle $1.00, myself $1.00. Hatter's meeting not being out as I came down, I stopped, but it closed in a few minutes after I went in. 4/6 WEDNESDAY - Pleasant, but the wind has been northeast. It clouded up just at night. I worked quite late in the shop until 6 one half o'clock. After tea, I commenced a letter to George. A man by the name of Lawrence W. Smith formerly of Co. F 17th Regt. (a Company from Norwalk) came to me at the shop to get the letter of the company that George belongs to, as John Cosier had paid him $1.00 for the War Record to be sent to him. He was an agent for the publisher getting subscriptions. He was with the Regiment until they got to Gainesville when they first went into Va. and there, he not feeling well, was sent to the hospital and has since been discharged. Gussie baked some bread and carried a loaf up home this evening. 4/7 THURSDAY - Pleasant. I gathered up the trimmings from my fruit tree around the yard before breakfast. I worked all day and late in the shop. In the evening, I bought a peck of russet apples and $2.00 worth of granulated sugar (9 lbs.) of Charles White. I bought the sugar because it was cheaper than anywhere else and the price still going up. I spoke for some manure this morning of Moses Norris but it did not come an account of his not procuring a man to haul it. Before retiring, I wrote more in a letter that I am making out for George. 4/8 FRIDAY - Pleasant and warm came home to dinner. Mrs. Caroline O'Leary died this morning. Received a letter from George by the morning mail. It was in reply to the one I wrote him giving him the news of Mother's sickness. He feels very bad that Mother is likely to die before he returns home. Mother also received one from him. Hattie Mills was this morning surprised before she was dressed in her room by Dwight Rogers who came to see Mrs. Cocking and got into the wrong room. Christian Quien who has got married within a short time to Marion Nash came to the shop today with 2nd Lieutenant shoulder straps on. He was married on Monday last, I believe, and received a 2nd Lieutenant's commission on the following day. He was previously orderly sergeant. Hatter's meeting in the evening. It was an adjourned meeting from Tuesday evening to take into consideration the possibility of doing something in regard to foul shops. The meeting resolved themselves into a committee of the whole and discussed the matter pretty thoroughly but adjourned for two weeks without coming to any definite conclusion. 4/9 SATURDAY - Pleasant through the day, but it threatened storm in the evening. Hattie Mills and I came home to our dinner. Sister Hattie Purdy was with us to dinner. I scolded her somewhat for her conduct about my dictionary. She accused me of saying things to her when I took the book away that were not true. Hattie Mills went to Bethel in the P.M. I came home from work earlier than usual and went up home and got the gooseberry bushes which I have neglected to get for 2 or 3 years past. I intended to have cleaned out my privy and mix its contents with ashes, but upon commencing, I found the ash heap frozen hard a little below the surface and was obliged to delay the job for a season. Gussie went over to Frank Boughton's in the P.M. and down street with me after tea. We called at Mr. Couch's and got the pictures of Bell, 4 in number, and 3 more of Mother. 4/10 SUNDAY - Stormy. Rain and snow both in the morning. I went to meeting in the A.M., but few were there and it was held in the basement. Bro. Crawford took no text, but talked to us. I came home at noon. Gussie went in the P.M while I stayed at home. Sacrament in the P.M. Gussie said it was held in the audience room above. I finished a letter to George and mailed it in the evening with a Waverly. I enclosed Bell's carte de visite to him. Caroline O'Leary was buried this P.M., aged 60 years. I did not go to church in the evening, but retired early. Edgar Johnson died at his home in Wild Cat[??] about 2 o'clock this afternoon. 4/11 MONDAY - The weather is still stormy. I felt the Rheumatism in my right shoulder blade again this morning. I felt but little like work but did all day. On account of the storm, I carried my dinner to work. John W. Bussing cut my hair after work. Hattie Mills came up from Bethel on the morning train and worked until night without anything to eat. I went to the annual Sunday School Teacher's Meeting in the evening. Officers were elected. I was reelected Librarian. My assistant E. Barnum, was taken from me and put in paper distribution. After the meeting, I walked some with Edith Newman to talk with her about Saul, her brother, for assistant librarian in Edward Barnum's place. The moon shone faintly through the mist in the evening. 4/12 APRIL - The weather still cloudy, but no rain today. I came home to dinner. Before dinner was ready, I commenced raking off my grass flat on door yard. I carried a bottle of cider to the shop and left it for John W. Bussing for his dinner. After tea, Robert Cocking came with Mr. Lyon's team to go to the depot and I rode down with him. Mrs. Stone came up and worked for us today and was with us for dinner. Mrs. Cocking came down and spent the evening with us. George H. Benedict, son of Price Benedict, one of our neighbors from just west of us, died today. Aged 23 years. 4/13 WEDNESDAY - Cold in the morning. A little warmer in the P.M. with rain. I came home to dinner. Frank Ward of Beaverbrook died this morning about 5 o'clock. A letter from George by the morning mail in answer to one I wrote to him in regard to the affairs of his old letters of his which Mother has made some trouble about. He places the fullest confidence in me and does not believe any of the stories told about Gussie and me by Mother. After tea, Gussie and Hattie Mills went up home to Father Griswold's to see to see Mrs. White while I commenced a letter to George. Soon Mr. Cocking was ready to go to the depot with Mr. Lyon's carriage and I rode down to market. I called at the church, but the classroom was dark. When I came home, I found Mrs. Cocking, Fannie and Hattie Griswold (Wheeler) and Louise Vintz spending the evening with us. I cracked some walnuts and they stayed until after 10 o'clock. I then wrote more in my letter to George. 4/14 THUSDAY - Cloudy in the morning, but it came off pleasant before night. I carried my dinner to the shop. Gussie went with me to market in the evening. I mailed a letter, a Waverly and a New York Daily Tribune of last Tuesday the 12th to George. The Tribune contained the official report of General Gilmore regarding the Battle of Olustee in Florida. Father Griswold returned for Conference in Hartford this evening. As we were going down, we met him coming up from the depot with his hands full of trees and vines and his carpet bag. Charles H. Reed was carrying his bag for him. He left the tree and vines at Reed's gate and I brought them home when I came. 4/15 FRIDAY - Pleasant. We were limited in our work at the shop today for the first in a long time. I finished at noon. Harriet was with us at dinner. After dinner, I sowed a little plaster on my yard and then went down town to buy a fence post to repair my gate and to get a cart man to haul some manure for me. I succeeded just at night and got one load and the post brought home. Gussie went up to Mother's in the P.M. and stayed to tea. Hattie Mills went up also from the shop. Carrie Mills came up on the freight train and went up with Hattie. Edith was there to tea. Gussie and the girls came home just at dark. I ate bread and milk for my supper. Gussie, Carrie and Hattie Mills went into the street in the evening. Mr. Cocking being here with Mr. Lyon's horse and carriage, he took them all in and carried them down. 4/16 SATURDAY - Pleasant. Carrie stayed with Hattie Mills, her sister last night. This morning, she took the train to Bethel. I got to the shop about an hour earlier than usual in consequence of getting breakfast in time for Carrie to take the cars. On the way to the shop, I mailed three letters for Father Griswold. The remainder of my manure came this forenoon, making 3 loads. I finished my work about 3 o'clock and paid Norris for the manure $3.00 and $1.50 to the cart man for hauling. I commenced repairing my gate and righting up the fence in front of my house. I got the fence straighted up and the new gate hinge post set and was obliged to leave it without hanging the gate on account of its growing dark. In the evening, I went to market. I bought a carte de visite of Captain Moore at Bennett's Store for 25 cents and a pair of gate hinges at Charles Hull's for 65 cents. 16 screws for 15 cents. Before retiring, Mrs. Cocking came down and wished me to get her a quart of milk in the morning. At the same time, she gave me a glass of ale. 4/17 SUNDAY - Pleasant though somewhat windy. I got a quart of milk at Mrs. McDonald's this morning for Mrs. Cocking. Our new preacher was with us today (Mr. Hill); his family is not here yet. He preached in the morning from John 14-27.In the P.M. Luke 15-17. Father Griswold was with him in the pulpit all day. Brother Crawford was also in the morning, but sat in the congregation in the afternoon. Mr. Coles led the choir and Miss Newman played. Edward Barnum being appointed paper distributor, I now have James Parmalee for asst. librarian. Gussie and I were at church all day. Harriet came to the house at noon for something to eat. Hattie Mills gave her a lunch. After tea, I wrote two letters to George and David Mills; Hattie enclosed one with her picture in mine to David. Gussie and I went to prayer meeting in the evening. William T. Hill, our new preacher, was there. He walked up with Harriet Wheeler to see Father Griswold. Gussie went up after she got home. He talked about church affairs. Father Griswold posted him in regard to some things about the church. Mother worse today. A little rain about 11o'clock in the evening. 4/18 MONDAY - The weather was rather uncertain in the morning, but it came off pleasant before noon. Mrs. Stone worked for us. I had work all day in the shop. After I came home from work, I worked as long as I could see at hanging my gate with new hinges on a new post. The women folks (Gussie and Hattie Mills) went to the Baptist Church in the evening to hear Mrs. Ambler speak of the conditions of the paroled prisoners as they arrive there from Richmond in a starving, dying condition. I ate my supper alone after they left for church and then I went up home to see Mother. As Bell had called saying that she wanted me to come up. She wanted to see me about keeping their cow. Father was of a mind to let her go and they did not want to part with her. I persuaded him to keep her, I think, as he consented to have me buy a bale of hay for her on his account. 4/19 TUESDAY - Pleasant, but a little cooler towards night. I set out my Concord grape vine this morning; the one Daniel Manly gave me. On my way to the shop, I went to Isaac W. Ives Lumber Yard and bought two bales of hay for Father $7.00. Gussie had her first mess of greens for dinner. Harriet Purdy was with her to dinner. I received a box from George with the last evening's mail with some roots and plants for Gussie. I finished the work on my gate before tea. In the evening, I went to market and got a lot of oysters for breakfast. Mrs. Cocking came own and spent the evening with us. 4/20 WEDNESDAY - Pleasant. I had to wait about an hour this morning at the shop for work. After tea, I went to market and to class. I got there just as it was out. Peter Starr, our old leader, has left town and we talked awhile about a new one. We rather want J. Cosier to take it but he does not want it. Father called this morning on his way to work and paid me for the hay I bought for him $7.00. 4/21 THUSDAY - Pleasant. Before breakfast and before tea, I dug around some of my fruit trees and manured them. I came home to dinner. I had suckatash (dried corn and beans). When I came home from work at night, I bought my first shad at 13 cents a pound. I mailed a short letter to George in the evening with a dollars' worth of stamps enclosed. Gussie went with me in the evening and looked at wallpaper at William Wright's and at Benedict and Nichols. Bought 3 window shades (green) and fixtures for the parlor $1.50 each and 25 cents for the fixtures. Total $5.25. A beautiful evening, the moon being full. 4/22 FRIDAY - Pleasant. Before breakfast, I dug around and manured my Harvest Apple tree. Harriet came in while we were eating dinner and sat down with us. I worked until 6 o'clock before leaving the shop. I bought 2 pounds of maple sugar of Nosh T. Hoyt in the evening. Went to Hatter's Meeting at Concert Hall. It was an adjourned meeting to take into consideration the case of foul shops. Gussie exchanged the new window shade fixtures she bought last evening for silvered ones. She paid 15 cents in exchange. 4/23 SATURDAY - Pleasant, and it seemed to me warmer than any day previous this spring. I came home to dinner. Hattie Mills went home to Bethel on the passenger train to have the impression taken for her teeth, but the dentist (Schoolmocker) could not do it. She came back on the evening train. Before I ate supper, I manured and dug up Gussie's flower bed by the piazza. We went to market together in the evening. We went to Mr. Wright's to look at wallpaper I bought a shad and came home. I made some egg cider before I retired. I received a letter from George by the morning mail. 4/24 SUNDAY - Pleasant and warmer than yesterday. Bro. Hill preached in the morning from Acts 18:9-10 Books taken in but none given out in Sunday School on account of the previous Sunday School meeting in the P.M. at the 1st Congregational Church, usually called Sunday School concert. Gussie attended, but I came home and wrote a letter to George. I enclosed six 3 cent postage stamps and six 2 cent ones as a present. Mother sent by Bell to have Hattie Mills go up there. After tea, she went. Gussie and I went up to the cemetery; we found John Cosier there with a team. He took us in and drove over the grounds, then rode out on the Great Plain Road nearly to Marsh Brick Kiln, crossed over on to the Beaverbrook Road and back home, he bringing us to our own door. Gussie was too tired to go to prayer meeting in the evening, so Hattie Mills and I went together. Father Griswold was there. He both prayed and spoke. Brother Hill and Clark Hoyt went up to see Mother after tea. She is about the same, apparently no worse, though I suppose really no better. 4/25 MONDAY - Stormy, a warm rain. Received an invitation by mail to attend a presentation to Alfred N. Gilbert in the evening. Read a letter from George with items for the Jeffersonian. The breaking up of their Brigade and the places to which the several Regiments were assigned. The account of Jim Hammer's what is its [???], etc. I did not attend the presentation, but went to the Post Office and to market. I then came home ( after calling on Mr. Ashley to see if he had some room this week for a letter from George) and prepared the letter for publication. Mr. Cocking came down and spent the evening with us. 4/26 TUESDAY - Still stormy. I carried a letter I had made out from George to the Jeffersonian for publication this morning. I came home to dinner and on account of the rain, I carried Hattie Mills' (?) to her. The sun shone a little this P.M., but it clouded over again. Gussie and I went up to Mr. Wright's in the evening to look at wallpaper. Before retiring, I answered two letters in one of George. 4/27 - WEDNESDAY - Showery still, though the sun shone a little this P.M., the same as yesterday, and gave signs of clear(ing) off. I came home to dinner and carried Hattie Mills' to her at the shop. After I finished work, I went to Comes' Marble Works to see about a stone for Eddie. I decided upon nothing. Called at the Jeffersonian's office to tell Ashley where to direct papers to the 17th Regt. To St. Augustine instead of Jacksonville, Fla. Harriet brought George's watch down for me to take to the jewelers for repairs. I went to class in the evening. Bro. Hill (our preacher) led the class. On my way to the shop this morning, I stopped and ordered Dr. Buckley to come up and see Mother Griswold. She is quite sick. 4/28 THURSDAY - A little bit of snow before daylight. Cooler, cloudy until just before night when the sun shone again. Mr. Silverthorn came to Father Griswold's today; was there to dinner. After tea, Gussie and I went into the street and bought some wall paper for our sitting room. Mrs. Cocking's sister came to see her from Fort Hamilton, Long Island. 4/29 FRIDAY - Pleasant. Father Griswold started this morning for Philadelphia to attend the Gen.Conference. No work today for the black finishers today at the shop. I being on fancy colors, had work all day. I came home by the way of George Starr's and got a board for Harriet to make shelf in her closet up home. After tea, I commenced grafting one of my apple trees with Golden Sweets. Went to market in the evening and bought a shad for breakfast .4 and a half lbs. at 15 cents a pound from the Housatonic River. Gussie went up to the cemetery this P.M. and made some preparations at Eddie's grave for some plants. Frank Boughton was with her and selected a lot for John. Burglars last night at Tandy's, Fowler's, Barnum's, Wildman's, and Benedict's. 4/30 SATURDAY - Pleasant. I worked hard all day. Came home to my dinner. Gussie and Hattie Mills went up to the cemetery on the P.M. Gussie engaged Mr. Day to make a small flower bed around Eddie's grave. Before tea, I grafted an apple tree in the garden with Roxbury Russett. I went to market and to Singing School in the evening.






Purdy, Horace, 1835-1909. “Horace Purdy Journal April 1864 Entry.” Horace Purdy Journals, MS 044. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 29 Jan. 2020.

Document Viewer


Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.