Horace Purdy Journal, August 1862 Entry

Dublin Core




8/1 Friday. Cousin Roxanna Hall came from [Sodom] to Aunt Louisa's today because of Anna's sickness and will stay over Sunday. Stopped work early because of a hard pain in my chest. Bought a bushel of flour of Mr. Crofut for $8. The evening papers report the iron clads in Mobile is a monstrous lie or is reported to be. I called to see Mr. Sanford who is to procure a place for George. After I saw him which was about 9 o'clock I went up home but he was not there, being at his lodge meeting. I went down there and waited a long time for him. which made it midnight before I retired. 8/2 Not as troubled with pain in my breast and side and was able to work longer in the shop. After tea George came down and I went with him to Mr. Sanford's to talk more about him going to a trade.I then went into the street to get the news and went to the Times office to order Father Griswold's paper discontinued. 8/3 I went to the 9 oclock prayer meeting and Brother Crawford preached from Mathew. William Warren who has enlisted came home from Bridgeport and was in his usual place as Assistant Librarian in the Sunday School. I came home after School to let Gussie attend in the PM. Cousin Mary wanted me to bring Eddy over in the PM and I did so for a while. After tea Cousin Roxana and Mary made us a call. I had a severe headache and stayed home in the evening. 8/ 4 Worked as usual in the shop. Went into the street in the evening and bought a gallon of ale at Mr. Rowan's. The New Haven train broke down and detained our train and it was 9 o'clock before it reached here. The mail which came on it brought a letter from Cousin David Mills, Banks Division, Regiment Connecticut Volunteers, Army of Virginia. 8/5 I see by the papers that the President has called for an additional 300,000 troops by drafting. It is causing considerable excitement in this community. I answere Cousin David Mills letter in the evening and commenced one to Charles. 8/6 Limited in our work at the shop. I came home to my dinner. Leiut. Keeler of the 5th connecticut Volunteers called at the shop this forenoon . He spoke at Concert Hall this evening, his object being to get recruits for the 5th regiment. I wrote a letter to E. A. Stanford at Starr's Arms Co., Yonkers for George to see if persons working there were exempt from the draft. I finished one and mailed it to David Mills 8/7 Great excitement about the drafting. Enlistments are going on rapidly. Many are enlisting rather than stand a draft. I went to Dr. Bennett's on my way home from the shop this afternoon and got a certificate of exemption from military duty on account of being ruptured. I mailed a letter to Cousin Charles Mills in the evening. 8/8 A warm day thought by many to be the warmest of the season thus far. Joseph Young walked up with me from the shop and stopped at my home. I gave him some ripe apples (Harriet) and then we went through Father Griswold's new house then he went over to Granville Amblers to see his lady I suppose, Mary Prior. I then started up home for tea where Gussie was but I met her coming home with George drawing the baby for her. I returned home for tea and after, walked down to the Post Office with George. 8/9 I came home to dinner. Went to market in the evening 8/10 Went to prayer meeting a 9 o'clock then came home to take care of Eddy while Gussie went up home with some white flowers with which to lay out John Freeland's little boy who died at 5 o'clock this morning. Gussie returned home at noon and I went to the communion service in the PM. Brother Hare was there and assisted Brother Crawford. After tea we went up home and Gussie attended the funeral with Mother. We brought home a small pail of milk and did not go to meeting in the evening. John Boughton and Frank called in the evening. He is going to war with Capt. Moore's company. 8/11 Worked as usual in the shop. News in the papers today of a hard battle fought near Culpeper Courthouse between Gen. Pope and the rebel Stonewall Jackson. The Colonel of the 5th Connecticut and his major were wounded and taken prisoners. Lieut. Col. Stone was killed or hurt. We will have more particulars tomorrow afternoon. I went to the Teachers meeting in the evening and we voted to have a picnic on the 20th in the Orchard just back of the church. 8/12 Went to the shop but did not feel like work because of a bad diarrhea. Was up several times during the night. I bought a new flower pot and carried it up to John Pollitt's to have a Fuschia transplanted into it. From there I went to the street and the picture rooms (Rittons) where George was having a picture taken for the [Nereka] Lodge of which he is a member. He went home with me to dinner. I went to the depot to see him off on the freight train. Mother, Bell and Gussie with Eddy went as far as Bethel with him where he also stopped to see friends and took the other train to join his squad. He went off in good spirits. I took tea with Father Griswold. I went to the depot in the evening to meet Gussie, Eddy, Mother and Bell. I received a letter in the morning mail from Mr. Sanford at Yonkers in answer to the one I wrote in reference to drafting workmen at Starr Arms Co. It was too late for George and even if it came sooner it would have made no difference. George had made up his mind to enlist. 8/13 I went to the shop but before I took off my coat, Theodore Fowler, Joseph Young and Daniel Manley wished me to got with them to Dr. Bennett's to get military exemption papers. Theodore and Joseph got theirs but Daniel could not. I came home to dinner. I stopped work just before the train left the depot to go to see John Boughton, David Bradley and his brother George and others off to join their regiment in Bridgeport. Gussie was there with Eddie in his carriage. We went from there up to John Pollitt's to get a Fuscia Mrs. Pollitt had promised Gussie. I went to class and to market. It is George's birthday and his first full day in camp. 8/14 Worked all day in the shop. Came home to dinner. Charles Small enlisted this morning in Capt. Moore's company and went off on the passenger train this afternoon.Eddy acted very strange about tea time. We thought he was sick but I guess he was intoxicated from being up to Father Griswold's house where the painter was dissolving shellac with alcohol. I mailed a letter to E.A. Sanford this morning to inform him that George had volunteered for the war and could not go to a trade. 8/15 I my way to the shop I stopped at [Morner's] and bought material for a pair of cheap shop pants and had them cut. I carried them up home in the evening to let Mother make them. George Weed brought a letter in the evening from George who is in camp in Bridgeport with the 17th Regiment. He wanted me to send him money to come home with tomorrow. I sat down and answered it and enclosed $5.00. 8/16 I was late in getting my letter to the post office this morning and had to take it to the cars. I persuaded the post master's clerk, Oliver Bedient to receive it there. George started for home on the morning train and intercepted the letter at Norwalk. He called at the shop when he arrived. Gussie went up home in the PM. I went up to tea. George and I went down to the meadow and helped Father get up his hay. We left Eddy up home in the evening and went into the street and to Singing School. We then went up home for Eddy and got home and retired around 11 o'clock. 8/17 I went to 9 o'clock prayer meeting. I opened with selection of a hymn and George led the prayer. Mr. Coc, Presbyterian, preached for us in the morning. George and William Warren are both home from camp. They assisted Aaron Moorehouse and Francis Clark who have taken their places as Librarian and Assistant in the Sunday School. I gave a notice of our picnic to Brother Crawford to be read in the PM. After Sabbath School I came home and Gussie attended church in the PM. Harriet Mills and George came home with Gussie to tea. After which George got Mr. McDonald's horse and carriage and took Harriet down home to Bethel. After Gussie got her dishes washed we went over to Aunt Louisa's to see John Boughton and Frank. John left his regiment as did George to spend the Sabbath at home. They are to return to Bridgeport on Thursday. Gussie went to meeting in the eveninig while I took care of Eddy. 8/18 Felt more like work today than some time past. Came home to dinner and on the way stopped at the Post Office and got a letter from Edwin. Gussie went up home in the PM to visit Marie Mills and Harriet. George came home with her and drew Eddie. I answered Edwins letter in the evening. 8/19 George left on the train this morning to go back to camp in Bridgeport. On my way home from work I felt sick (bowel complaint). After tea I went to the the grocers and the post office. I called at the military hall to see some recruits drill under Jenkins C. Barry. 8/20 Sunday School picnic in the orchard at the back of the church. I did not go because of work at the shop. Letter from George stating that their regiment, 17th is to leave for Washington on Monday. I wrote in reply and mailed it in the evening. 8/21 We had the shop called this forenoon to raise our prices for the work. Mr. Crofut finally consented to give us what we asked. I was made Chairman of the meeting. Worked later than usual, to 7 o'clock. Went to market in the evening. I know not why, but I felt impressed that George would come home. He did and he is to stay until Saturday. He has been having some photographs (carte de visite) taken and gave me one. A town meeting was held this afternoon at 2 o'clock to vote a bounty for the 9 month volunteers. I was told they voted $200 each. I did not attend. 8/22 Headache in the PM. George came to the shop as I finished work. I went with him to Rittons to see about some photographs. He then came home with me to tea and then we went to borrow a team to go up home to get his melodeon to take to his Lodge room for the evening. Capt. Jas. A . Betts of Company A, 5th Regiment, lately a prisoner at Salisbury, North Carolina came home on the evening train. I carried the Sunday School Role Book and my checks for my money at the shop over to Burr Bradley's as I anticipate going to Bridgeport in the morning to stay over to Sunday to see the 17th Regiment off. 8/23 I went to Bridgeport in the morning. After we got to camp, Camp Aiken) I went with the squad of men and took a bathe in sea water. I took dinner with the boys on Government army rations and drilled with them in the afternoon. There was a prayer meeting in their chapel tent in th evening. I am living camp life. When we turned in we were all in a story telling mood and consequently it was late before we fell asleep. George tents in the same mess with Phineas Lounsbury, William Warren, William Otis, John Grannis, Montgomery Bailey, Edgar Knapp, Lewis A. Ward, Amos Day and William H. Curtis. All have respect for religion and most of them are professors. They have bible reading and prayers every night in their tent. 8/24 swervices by acting chaplain Thompson. There was a collection taken up for the chapel tent. There was a large attendance from the city and ladies even threw in their gold rings. Wrote letter to wife in PM, by Seth Downs who was down with a team. About 400 of the regiment attended Mr. [Mailey's] church and Mr. Thompson preached. The house was filled to utmost capacity. 8/25 After breakfast I went up to the city and returned before dinner. George was detailed for guard duty last night and is still on duty. George proposed a prayer meeting in the chapel tent in the evening and it was a good meeting with the tent full. 8/26 went to the city again this morning . I carried a watch up to Blackman's on [Easu St] for Rufus Warren , and a letter to mail for Sargt. [Bousson]. John Brush came down on the train and went over to camp with me. The new chapel tent was dedicated in the afternoon and I started for home about 5:15. 8/27 Sick today with a bad diarrhea. Went to the shop in the morning but did not work. I wrote a letter to George after tea and mailed it. 8/28 Worked in the shop today. Gould Disbrow carted some sand for me to fill up the ditch in front of my entrance to make it easier getting in with a load. I went into the street in the evening and exchanged a bottle of Arnolds ink for one of Davids which I like better. I got my hair cut and stopped at the post office. I was going to pick my crab apples but there was a shower. 8/29 Eddie's birthday - a year old. I received a letter from Cousin Charles Mills from Old Point Comfort VA and one from George, Camp Aiken, 17th Regiment, Bridgeport. Just as I finished tea Granville Morris called and handed me a letter from George which he brought from camp. George sent $2 to pay for $1 worth of pictures at Rittons and to order another $1 to be struck off immediately. Gussie mailed my letter in the evening and I stayed home to take care of Eddie. Cousin Charles letter was written in pencil and I inked it over in the evening. 8/30 I picked a few crab apples before breakfast. I came home to dinner and found a telegraphic dispatch from George saying Capt. Moore's company would be home on the freight train. George went to Stamford and brought Eddy (Cousin Edmund) Palmer home with him on the evening train. The company assembled in the Concert Hall when they arrived to present Swords and Sashes to Capt. Moore and Lieut. Daniels and Lieut. [Lorisen]. Lieut. Governor Averill presented them in behalf of the company. The ceremony was quite interesting. Gussie was up home in the PM and evening so I got my supper then went to the depot to meet George. News by telegraph this PM that a heavy battle was fought at the old Bull Run battleground in which the rebels were severely beaten. Our killed and wounded estimated at 8,000 and the rebels double that number. Fanny came home on the evening train from Camp Meeting. 8/31 Afflicted with a severe headache all day. Did not go to the 9 o'clock prayer meeting. George and Eddie (Edmund) Palmer came this way to church. I attended in the forenoon. Brother Crawford's son-in-law, Mr. Hease preached. After Sunday School I came home and Gussie attended in PM. Edmund came and stayed with me til church was out and George called in for him and they went up home. After tea we took the baby and went up home and stayed until evening meeting. Cousin Edmund stayed with me in the evening to take care of Eddie while Gussie went to meeting.






Purdy, Horace, 1835-1909. “Horace Purdy Journal, August 1862 Entry.” Horace Purdy Journals, MS 044. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 28 Jan. 2020.

Document Viewer


Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.