Horace Purdy Journal, July 1862 Entry

Dublin Core




7/1 - Tuesday - Stephen Holmes boy Charly died this morning with inflamation in the bowels. I went to the savings bank before going to the shop and paid $21 interest money. After work hoed the garden and helped Father Griswold set out some tomatoes and cabbage plants. Went to market in the evening and to the Hatters Meeting. I didn't get home til 10 o'clock. Father has been plowing out his potatoes. Mother and Bell called in the evening. 7/2 Wednesday -Worked till noon then came home to dinner. Went to the funeral of Charly Holmes. He was a member of our Sabbath School. The School assembled at 1 o'clock and the service was at 2 o'clock. It rained all afternoon. A large portion of the scholars were present and sang the hymns commencing with Our Sweet Flower Has Drooped and Faded. Father Griswold officiated. I went up to the cemetary. Burr Bradley walked under my umbrella and we walked home by his house to keep him dry. He gave me some cabbage plants. 7/3 Thursday. Worked in the shop. I sent a letter by Beatty's Stage to Abel Grey who makes and supplies us with butter. A telegraph this afternoon that there was a heavy battle on Tuesday near Richmond. Our loss was estimated at 15,000. Louisa took care of Eddie in the evening and Gussie and I went into the street. 7/4 Friday - I hoed in my garden and went to practice with my pistol at a target in the afternoon. In the PM Gussie and I took a walk with the baby in his carriage . Went up to Emily Anderson's and then down to the new fountain at the foot of Main Street and up home to Father Purdy's . Stayed a short time and came home. on our way back from Emily Anderson's we stopped at Mr. Rowan's and took some ice cream. The day has been very quiet for Independence Day. 7/5 Saturday - Worked as usual in the shop. Henry Benedict was buried this afternoon. It is reported that Robert Nostrand had his leg amputated this PM. I later learned that this was false . The Doctor only took out some pieces of bone. I went to market in the evening. Bought a paper (the Post) to get news from McClellan's army near Richmond. He has been fighting for eight days and our losses are near 20,000 as far as can be made out. Rebel losses are much heavier. No fighting since Tuesday as far as we are informed. We had a dispatch today that Vicksburg on the Mississippi is taken. I believe this is the last rebel stronghold on the river. I came back at 9 o'clock and went up home for my clothes that mother washed. I brought home a pail of milk. When I returned I got some water from the brook and put it in a large tub and gave myself a good washing over my whole body. 7/6 Sunday - Had our first young men's prayer meeting at 9 o'clock. Brother Crawford preached. George was in Stamford today so I was Librarian and Secretary. I stayed for afternoon service. Brother Crawford preached from the same text as I heard from Dr. Ryan in Washington DC on May 19th of 1861 previouse to our crossing the Potomac. Congregation and school was small today on account of the excesive heat. Gussie went to prayer meeting in the evening. 7/7 Monday - I worked hard in the shop. After tea I wnet to the post office where I met Uncle Edwin. I had a long talk about his family, the loss of Mary and her two children. Cousin Edwin and the boy living with him now have the same complaint, the diptheria. 7/8 Tuesday -Picked cherries from Father Griswold's tree before breakfast so Gussie could make some pies. Geroge came home on the train today. He came from Stamford to Ridgefield last night, stopped there and came today walking as far as Bethel. Stopped at Aunt Harriet's in Bethel then took the train home. Worked late at the shop to finish a dozen hats. Took care of Eddie in the evening so Gussie could go to the milliner. 7/9 Wednesday - Have all the work I can do in the shop today. Gussie went over to Mrs. Cyrus White's in the PM to the Sewing Society and took Eddy with her. I got my own supper and put up a shelf in the sink room. I went into the street about 9 o'clock for a loaf of bread.7/10 Thursday - It has been very smoky today. The sun looked like a ball of fire and the moon looked the same. Worked hard in the shop. After supper I helped Father Griswold set out some celery plants. I then went to market and brought home a loaf of bread and a peck of round clams. Lieutenant Andrew Knox of the 1st Connecticut Artillery came home on the train this evening. He was in the battle near Richmond. Eddie has broken out with measles and has the whooping cough. 7/11 Friday - Mother was with us to tea. George came down and returned my carpet bag that he used to go to Bridgeport on the 4th, and to Stamford and Ridgefield. We are in doubt whether Eddy has whooping cough or the measles although he coughs considerably. Mother Griswold and Louisa took care of him in the evening to let us go into the street. 7/12 Saturday - I worked until a short time after dinner and came home as I was very tired, having worked hard all week. Mr. Ball, one of Father Griswold's masons put the finishing coat over the plastering on my chimney in the sink room just before 6 o'clock. Gussie went up home so I got my tea upstairs with Mother Griswold. Gussie went to the milliners in the evening and I took care of Eddie 7/13 Sunday - Went to men's prayer meeting at 9 o'clock and Brother Crawford preached. Came home after Sunday School prayer meeting and Gussie went in the PM. I stayed home in the evening and let Gussie go to hear our Presiding Elder Mr. C. Hoyt preach. Sacrament in the PM. John Carpenter Jr. and Henry Heinman were baptized. 7/14 Monday - I worked in the shop. It was our usual payday and I drew $21.00 for 2 weeks work. I attended Sunday School Teachers business meeting and copied the minutes before I retired to rest. Father Griswold and Fanny came home from New York on the evening train. 7/15 Tuesday - Spent the day at home white washing, moving the stove into the sink room, [bolting] down oil cloth, buying zinc and making 2 frames upon which to nail it to protect the wood work behind the stove from the heat, filing my saw and mowing my door yard and it was dark when I finished. 7/16 Wednesday - I came home to dinner. Mother went to the funeral of the child of Robert Sayres. Isabella came down in the PM and stayed to tea. I sent a bottle of cider by her to Father. A thunder shower came in the PM so I did not go to class in the evening. Father Griswold's sofa, parlor table, oil cloth and carpet came from New York today. They were taken into our house to await the finishing of their new one. I received a letter from Cousin Charles Mills in McClellan's army near Richmond. 7/17 Thursday - Worked all day in the shop. Robert Fry came for my door yard grass after tea. A special Hatters Meeting in the evening to give a card to [Saul] Sniffens. He was [rejected]. After the meeting I saw Lieut. Knox at Bennett's store. He is home on furlough. 7/18 Friday - Gov. Buckingham came on a special train at 12 o'clock to hold a meeting in the evening to get volunteers for the war. We had a cannon at the ship and all hands turned ourt to salute the Gov. The train stopped and he presented himself at the door, head uncovered to acknowledge the compliment. A large enthusiastic meeting was held at concert hall in the evening. Lieut Gov. Averill presided and spoke, the Gov. , Mr. Gilbert, a Mr. Hoyt who is preaching at the Baptist Church during Mr. Stone's absence in Europe, Mr. Crawford, Mr. Clark, the Presbyterian minister from New Fairfield, and Thomas St. John who was drunk and made a failure. Capt Moore was there and quite a few came forward after the meeting and enlisted in his new company. 7/19 Saturday - I came home to dinner instead of carrying it. I worked late in the shop in order to finish up the work I had. Cousin George Hall from Sodom called as I came from work. He went over to stay with Cousin Harriet. I went into the street in the evening. 7/20 Sunday - I went to 9 o'clock prayer meeting and George handed me a letter from Cousin David Mills, 5th Regiment Connecticut Volunteers, Gen. Banks division dated 3 miles from Warrington VA. George took it out of the post office last evening, M.r Crawford preached in the AM. We had a short Sunday School shool session and an intermission before going up to the First Congregational Church to a gathering of Sunday Schools for School concert to take the place of regular afternoon services. I came home at intermission to let Gussie go to the concert. I took care of Eddy and wrote to Cousin David Mills. Gussie came home and reported an interesting meeting. After tea Mary Purdy came over with George Hall. It being rainy we did not attend church in the evening. They stayed until after 9 o'clock. 7/21 Monday - Anniversary of the battle of Bull Run. I worked in the shop until 7 o'clock. After tea I went down town and mailed my letter to Cousin David Mills. 7/22 Tuesday - George had some diffuculty with Father about leaving home and came to the shop to see me. He called at the house when I was at tea and I wrote a letter for him to [Binghamton] to E. A. Sanford to see about a situation for him to make firearms. We went into the street and he went to class and I mailed the letter. I then went to Military Hall to see how Capt. Moore was doing in getting volunteers. He is doing well with about 50 men already. I bought some groceries and came home. 7/23 Wednesday - In the forenoon I came very near enlisting with 5 of my shopmates, John Brush, Charles Small, Hiram Crofut, Flagler and John Rooney. We were all ready to go to the Recruiting Office except John Rooney who first took off his apron but put it on again immediately. I went to market in the evening. 7/24 Thursday - A special town meeting this afternoon to vote a bounty to the volunteers enlisting for the war under the President's call for 300,000 more men. I stopped work to go but heard that the business was done and the meeting adjourned. $125.00 bounty was voted to all who enlisted under this call previous and until August 20th. I went home and worked in my garden. Also went over to Mr. Hurd's and got some strawberrry plants and set them out. They are Hooker and what he called the None Such, and I got some of both. In the evening I called at Thomas Barnum's to see if he wanted a shop at the Pahquioque. I then went down town and walked up with Mr. Swift to the new dealer who bought out Smith. I had conversation with him about renting my upper rooms. George today has procured a stituation at Sturdevant's Factory at hardening [reals] 7/25 Friday - Just a year ago this afternoon the 1st Connecticut Regiment marched from camp to Meridian HIll Washington D.C. to the arsenal to deposit our arms and from there to the depot to return home after 3 months, including the Battle of Bull Run. The cars did not start until midnight, having to wait for a train arriving with troops. I was told they were a portion of Sickle's brigade. I worked all day in the shop and was very tired when I came home. After tea I propped up my pea vines and went to market. 7/26 Saturday - I brought some turnip plants home from the shop which Daniel Manley gave me and planted them before tea. I went into the street in the evening and paid for a lobster whieich Avery Raymond brought up according to order. 7/27 Sunday - I went to the Young Mens prayer meeting in the morning and came home after Sunday School. Mary Purdy offer to take care of Eddy so I went back to church with Gussie. Brother Crawford preached. A horse ran away as people were going to church in the morning. He came on the sidewalk and ran over several women and badly injured Mrs. Richards, Widow Eli Rockwell, Mrs Nathan Bennnett, John Stone's wife and her sister. I have been told others were hurt but have not yet learned their names. George came home with us to tea. After tea Gussie and I took Eddy in his carriage and called at Mrs. Richards' and at Mrs. Rockwell's. From there we went over to Burr Bradley's and then over to Town Hill to John Pollitt's . We did not got to meeting in the evening. 7/28 Monday - Worked hard all day at the shop. Pay day and I drew $18 for the last 2 weeks. After tea we left the baby with Mother Griswold and went into the street to do some trading. Capt. Moore's company of volunteers were out in the street in the eveninig parading with music. They leave for Hartford on the train tomorrow morning. 7/29 Tuesday - I have been toubled with a pain in my breast and side today. Came home earlier on that account. I came by Mr. Wright's paint shop and paid him 12 cents which I owed him. Bell came down and stayed for tea. Anna Purdy is worse. She had a spell of bleeding last night and another today. I brought home a pound of shellac for Father Griswold. 7/30 Wednesday - I have not felt very well today. William Judson from a Pennsylvania regiment under McClellan was at the shop. He was wounded, having lost a finger and a portion of another in the battle for Richmond. I tried to take up a collection for him to enable hime to get to New York, he being a pretty hard case. I did not succeed as the men feared he would spend it on liquor as I also feared. 7/31 Thursday - I felt better today but still not very strong. I worked until 5 o'clock and went down to the railroad bridge with E. Stevens, George Fenner, and Joseph Young to bathe and wash. Mrs. Russell Wildman and Lucy called after tea. Our folks went with them up to the new house. I went into the street in the evening. Stirring news in the papers. It is reported that 10 iron clad gun boats have come over from England and have broken the blockade at Mobile. I went to prayer meeting late. This morning I took 1 dozen rolls of Griswold Family Salve down to Mr. Swift to let him sell for us on commission.






Purdy, Horace, 1835-1909. “Horace Purdy Journal, July 1862 Entry.” Horace Purdy Journals, MS 044. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 29 Jan. 2020.

Document Viewer


Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.