Horace Purdy Journal, September 1860 Entry

Dublin Core




SEPTEMBER 01 – SATURDAY – Pleasant. I took a walk up home before breakfast and carried some crab apples to Mother. I also carried some to the shop for George Benjamin. Gussie went with me to the market in the evening. I bought a watermelon home with me. SEPTEMBER 02 – SUNDAY – Gussie did not feel very well in the morning and so did not attend church until noon when she came to Sunday School. Brother Pegg preached for us. He preached for the Sabbath School in the morning from Isaiah 32 and the first clause of the 20th verse. In the PM, from 1st Corinthians 1:18. Both sermons were excellent. Mother Griswold came in while we were drinking tea and Father Purdy just after. He stayed awhile and helped us eat the remainder of the watermelon I bought last night. John Boughton and Frank also came in just before church time. We all attended. SEPTEMBER 03 – MONDAY – I brought water before breakfast from the brook for Gussie to wash with. I have worked hard all day in the shop. I drew $17.00 for last week’s work, a larger week’s work than usual. Eddie palmer came from Ridgefield this morning and started for Stamford on the afternoon train. He called on me at the shop before he went. He spent the evening over home. SEPTEMBER 04 – TUESDAY – I commenced to dig my potatoes in the garden before breakfast. I took a letter from the Post Office from Edmund Palmer with a bill in it for one gross large and three dozen small boxes of blacking. I worked as long as I could see in the shop. Gussie with me to market in the evening. I mailed a letter to Edmund Palmer. I paid a tax laid by the Hatters Association for the benefit of the widow of Ebenezer bailey recently deceased by accidental poison. SEPTEMBER 05 – WEDNESDAY – A little warmer than it has been for several days. Father Griswold made us a present of a watermelon, one of his own raising .After tea, we ate a part of it. It rained a little in the evening. I, being very tired, did not attend class. AUGUST 06 – THURSDAY – It thundered a little in the morning and had the appearance of a wet day. I dug potatoes until breakfast was ready. There being no drab work for a few days, I had to take black ones or none. I am thankful for that, but drab work is the best. I can earn more money and earn it easier. Gussie went into the street with me in the evening. I called at Mr. Hanford and found that my blacking had come. Not having any way to get it home, I left it there until tomorrow if I can make it convenient to get away. It has only sprinkled occasionally and the day has been very warm and dusty. AUGUST 07 – FRIDAY – Very warm and sultry again today Prince caught another chicken today over to father Griswold’s I whipped him severely for it. Abel has been in our shop today building a screen in front of the flues to keep off the heat. On my way home from the shop, I borrowed Noah Hoyt’s horse to go up to Mr. Hanford’s for blacking which he bought from New York for me from Mr. Edmund Palmer. Father Griswold gave us the best citron melon I have tasted this season. We ate it for tea. I went to drill in the evening. On my return, I went over home and I stayed the rest of the evening. AUGUST 08 – SATURDAY – I finished digging my South American potatoes this morning before breakfast. I had a little more than a bushel and that is enough of that kind, since I do like them very much. I carried one dozen of blacking with me to the shop to sell it as I may have occasion. I had a feast at the shop at noon. I carried tomatoes, plums, an apple and a citron melon (one of father Griswold’s production) besides my regular dinner. I went to market in the evening and called Dr. Bulkeley for Mother Griswold who is sick with a touch of dysentery. Gussie went with me down to Mary. Hoyt’s. We went over home on our return. SEPTEMBER 09 – SUNDAY - Rain last night and a little this morning. Cool and cloudy and the prospect of a wet day, but it cleared away about noon. It has been so cold as to be uncomfortable at church. There ought to have been a little fire. Brother Pegg preached in the morning as usual. Text John 4: 32. Sunday School at noon as usual on communion day and sacrament in the PM. Mr. Pike, our colored neighbor had his baby baptized. After tea, I took and nap and Gussie went with me over to her Father’s melon patch and picked 4 citron melons for her mother after which we went into Abel’s a short time. Marion Brightman and wife were there. Preaching in the evening. We attended. Subject “Christ, the Divine Carpenter” A good sermon. A Prayer meeting after, the first meeting after preaching, we have had this season. SEPTEMBER 10 – MONDAY – Cool. A frost last night in the lowlands. Mr. Crofut commenced today to use checks instead of a book account for the finishers. I drew $16.56 today. I worked in the shop as long as I could see. I ordered a new pair of pants at Stevens & Hoyt in the evening. SEPTEMBER 11 – TUESDAY – I dug potatoes again this morning before breakfast. I worked in the shop as long as day light would let me again today. George Loomis was off this afternoon to go at wool hatting over to Sturdivant’s. I took tea over to Mother Griswold’s. Mother had been there in the afternoon and stayed to tea, but went home before I came from my work. I went to market in the evening and got caught in a shower. SEPTEMBER 12 – WEDNESDAY – Cold. Rainy and windy all day. Mother Griswold was quite poorly this morning. I went for the doctor on my way to the shop. I worked all day in the shop. I was taken with a headache in the PM and when I came home, I felt badly. I stayed at home in the evening. SEPTEMBER 13 – THURSDAY – Clear and cool. My head pained me so that I could not sleep as long as usual last night. My head felt weak this morning, but everything considered, I felt very well and have done a good day’s work. Gussie was obliged to go to the store in the evening and I accompanied her. We went to the Post Office and returned home. Went over to Mother Griswold’s a short time and then came home and retired. SEPTEMBER 14 – FRIDAY – Pleasant. I worked hard all day in the shop. Josephine Dare from Long Island has been home to visit with Mother Griswold and Gussie today. She went away before I came home. I attended drill in the evening. George Bevans, one of our expelled members from the Wooster Guards, was there and bought the cap and ax (which belonged to our company and formerly used by George Eddy – deceased) and intended to act as a pioneer in the Bridgeport Washington Guards of which he is a member. He paid us $15.00 for it. SEPTEMBER 15 – SUNDAY – Pleasant. I have earned $3.00 every day this week. We went to market in the evening. Gussie has been up home this afternoon. SEPTEMBER 16 – Pleasant and warmer today. The safety valve to Tweedy’s boiler accidently raised this morning, or so it is said. At all events, the result was that the whistle began to blow and continued to do so for a long time. The bell rang and an alarm of fire was raised. No. 1 Engine came up West Street as far as William Street and how much farther, I know not. But hearing what was the matter, they soon returned again to their house. We attended church all day. Brother Pegg preached in the morning from Proverbs 29, the first clause of the 25th verse. “The fear of man bringeth a snare.” The funeral sermon of Mr. Fanton, the proprietor of the shirt factory in Wooster Street was preached in the afternoon. Text – Colossians 3:3. “For ye are dead and your life is hid with Christ in God.” The corpse was seen in the path as the congregation passed from the church to the gate. I saw Josephine Dare in the yard as I came out. After tea, we went up home and carried half of a watermelon left from our tea. It was grown in Father Griswold’s lot. Mother came down with us to church. The meetings are getting quite interesting. I think we are on the verge of a powerful outpouring of the Holy Spirit. The church is generally being received and sinners, we hope, will soon be converted in our midst. SEPTEMBER 17 – MONDAY – Cloudy the greater part of the day and a very little rain. Work is plenty and good. We were paid off as usual. I drew $19.00. I have earned $3.75 today. Father Griswold came home on the freight train. Gussie went with me to market in the evening. I received a letter from Edmund Palmer acknowledging the receipt of $7.75 for blacking and sending back the bill receipted. SEPTEMBER 18 – TUESDAY – Pleasant and warm. I had no work in the PM, so I went uptown and sold some blacking. I sold 1 ½ dozen at 10 cents. I have commenced with this lot to sell at that price. Sarah Boughton and Harriet Wheeler and Frank Boughton spent the PM with Gussie. Abel and John came to tea. John went with me to market in the evening. Frank stayed with Gussie while we were downtown. SEPTEMBER 19 – WEDNESDAY – I intended to take the cars this morning to Bethel to sell blacking but was too late for them and had to walk down. I sold out nearly before I got to the Depot when the train came along and I took it and came home. I brought my potatoes home from Father Griswold’s cellar. After dinner, I took some blacking and went back to Bethel and sold during the day 4 dozen at 10 cents per box. I took tea at Cousin Herman Taylor’s and came home on the train. SEPTEMBER 20 – THURSDAY – The equinoxial storm is upon us. It has been stormy all day except for a few times when the sun shone for a few minutes at a time. It has been very warm and oppressive in the shop. Thunder and lightning in the evening with considerable rain. SEPTEMBER 20 – FRIDAY – I roe and found it raining. I wore rubber boots and took an umbrella to the shop and made some calculations for a stormy day, but it came off pleasant about noon and the result was a beautiful afternoon and evening but rather cool. When I came home from the shop, I found the house locked up, Gussie having gone up home to visit with Brother and Sister Pegg and father Griswold and Fanny. It was too late for me to go up so I took tea with Mother Griswold. I went to drill in the evening. I stopped at Benedict & Nichols’ and got 4 ½ ounces of mustard (?) for Gussie which she has been waiting nearly two weeks for as they have been expecting it for about that time. SEPTEMBER 22 – SATURDAY – Pleasant. I worked as usual in the shop. After tea, Gussie and I went to see the Wide-Awakes in a torch light procession. Frank Shepard addressed the republicans at Concert Hall. I carried our butter pot down to A. B. Hull’s to have our winter butter put down. I ordered 25 lbs. SEPTEMBER 23 – SUNDAY – Mr. ___, formerly a missionary to Africa from Redding, preached for us all day. Text in the morning, Isaiah 9, last of the 6th verse. “The Prince of Peace”. In the PM, 1st John, chapter 1, the latter clause of the 7th verse. “The blood of Jesus Christ, his Son, cleanseth us from all sin”. Both sermons were excellent. Mrs. Dare was at the church in the PM. I ran a sliver underneath my fingernail this morning before church. I cut open the nail to get it out, but I am afraid that I did not get it all. I am afraid that I shall have a bad finger. Father called on us after tea. Mother Griswold came in while we were eating. She is feeble today. Before church, we went over to Father Griswold’s melon patch and found two ripe ones. We called at Horace Crofut’s on our way back and gave both of them to him. We attended prayer meeting in the evening. The meeting was a good one. One of the shirt factory’s girls was converted in the young people’s prayer meeting before the public service. Brother Pegg was with us in the evening. He stated in the meeting that Mrs. Maynard was dying. SEPTEMBER 24 – MONDAY – Cloudy in the morning, but this blew over after a while and the day was pleasant. The tent on the Fairgrounds was raised today. I drew $12.00 on my last week’s work. I sent a letter to Ferdinand Taylor, foreman at Oren Benedict’s shop at Bethel with a one dollar bill enclosed which I took from him for blacking last week. There was a twenty percent discount on it. We went over to Abel’s to tea. Marvin Boughton’s wife was there. I went to market and Gussie to Mary Hoyt’s in the evening. SEPTEMBER 25 – TUESDAY – The day has been showery, some very hard showers, too. The last shower was in the PM and blew down the Fairgrounds tent after which it came off pleasant. William Wheeler and myself stopped work between 4 and 5 o’clock. He harnessed his horse and rode home with me and took a bushel of Prince Albert potatoes for Father Griswold, a bedspread for Mother Griswold and a picture for Fanny to the Fair. I bought a family ticket for them and entered them for premiums. I bought one for myself also. Gussie and I attended in the evening. The opening address was delivered by Nelson White. The band was in attendance, also the Bethel Glee Club. I stopped on my way home and bought a cider barrel of Avery Raymond, price, $1.37. SEPTEMBER 26 – WEDNESDAY – Cool, but pleasant. I have worked all day in the shop. In the afternoon, a fellow walked a rope down from the belfry of Concert Hall across to the roof of Charles Hull’s store. Gussie attended the Fair this afternoon and came home very tired. After supper, I went to market and bought some scallops for the first time this fall. SEPTEMBER 27 – THURSDAY – I went to the shop in the morning and worked until nearly 11 o’clock when I went to the fair. I came home about one o’clock and Gussie went with me to see the main walk the rope again across the street from Concert Hall and then we went up to the Fair again. After tea, I went up again to see about getting our things away tomorrow. Mrs. Maynard died this evening about 6 o’clock. SEPTEMBER 28 – FRIDAY – The Fair broke up today. I got Noah Hoyt’s horse and went up (his clerk, Charles Mason went with me) to the Fair tent after Mother Griswold’s things. I dug up the grape vines and took away the frame south of my house before dinner. After dinner, we went to see the man walk the rope again and Monsieur Augustus Reynard go up with his balloon from the Fairground, but both were a failure. It was too windy for the rope walker and the balloon was so old and rotten that the wind tore it so badly that it was impossible to ascend. He let it loose to see if it would go up alone, but it only just cleared the ground and the wind shattered it in pieces (so the people said, for I did not go to see it). As we were going, we met the folks coming from the grounds saying that it was a failure and that the Fair was dismissed, so we wheeled and returned home. I picked my hops and put in my onions in the PM. There was no drill in the evening, on account of there being a hop in Concert Hall. SEPTEMBER 29 – FRIDAY - A heavy frost last night. I picked my dwarf peas this morning. The funeral of Mrs. Maynard was attended this afternoon at 2 o’clock. There was another public exhibition of rope walking at 4 o’clock. The Bethel Wide-Awakes came up and joined ours in a torch light procession in the evening. I saw Cousin Roxanna Hall with Aunt Louisa’s folks at Noah Hoyt’s store this evening. On their way home, they called on us. SEPTEMBER 30 – SUNDAY – Pleasant but cool. The rev. F. Williams from Jefferson City, Missouri preached for us all day. He is soliciting aid to erect a Methodist institution of learning, a college or a seminary in that state. He presented it to the congregation in the morning and received $120.00. The morning service was so prolonged on account of it that the Sunday School session was omitted. The text in the morning was Acts 2:1-4; in the PM, Revelations 5:8-10. Both sermons were excellent. Cousin Roxanna Hall and Aunt Louisa came home with us from church and took tea with us. We attended church in the evening. The decision was to have a prayer meeting, but Dr. Williams preached again, after which we had a prayer meeting. Three persons were forward for prayer and on was converted (a lady). Horace Crofut was forward, the only man.






Purdy, Horace, 1835-1909. “Horace Purdy Journal, September 1860 Entry.” Horace Purdy Journals, MS 044. WCSU Archives, 9 July 2019. Accessed on the Web: 21 Feb. 2020.

Document Viewer


Copy the code below into your web page

Item Relations

This item has no relations.