An 1890 song composed by Danburian W. Oland Hoyt come alive

Thanks to the WCSU Archives’ special adjunct Ann Victor, the Elks Grand March Social composed by W. Oland Hoyt can be heard and seen here as it was originally written.

Thanks to Ann for bringing this really cool taste of local music from the late nineteenth century to life. Previously, this piece had been quietly mixed in with Truman Warner’s small sheet music collection and was recently “discovered” by our student Shae Zalinski when searching for a different piece of music.

Gerry Shea has done it again…

Take a peek at some interesting data that has been transcribed by Gerry Shea.  Ever wondered what the average price of a horse was in Danbury in 1826?  How many families owned clocks? Sheep..?

To have a look at the 1826 Danbury tax data, follow the link below.

1851 Danbury tax data

1863 Danbury tax data

1902 Danbury tax data

The Great Herb Janick (1929-2018)

Dr. Herb Janick has sadly left us but he has also left his mark on this University in many ways.  One of his most important achievements was his help in the creation of a WCSU Archive. He understood that, like the axiom that all politics is local, all history is local; he dedicated himself to promoting student and public interest in the history that is all around us – not just in world capitals and battlefields far away. Dr. Janick knew that part of promoting interest in the local was through creating opportunities for engagement with primary sources. That meant the use of archives, museums, and historical societies but also the preservation of those institutions. Dr. Janick helped students engage with primary sources even after his retirement through his Janick Fellowship in Archives. Thank you to Dr. Janick and farewell.

“Rights of Freedom: African American Property Rights in the Antebellum South” – Feb 22, at 3 p.m. in Room 122 of White Hall

In recognition of Black History Month, the WCSU Department of History and the WCSU Archives will host historian Ryan Bachman for a discussion about “Rights of Freedom: African American Property Rights in the Antebellum South” Feb 22, at 3 p.m. in Room 122 of White Hall on the university’s Midtown campus, 181 White St. in Danbury. The talk will be free and the public is invited. For more information, call (203) 837-8484.

Vietnam Oral History Project

Check out Cody Clark and Alec Florio’s interviews with Vietnam veterans. Cody and and Alec conducted the interviews as part of their fall 2016 independent study for the History Department with advisor Dr. Marcy May. We plan to offer this project as a ready-made independent study for interested WestConn students. Speak to a faculty member of the History Department or Archivist Brian Stevens (stevensb[at] for details.

Click here to check it out.